Is there any need for a system wars next gen?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts

I had my doubts that the system wars were going to be compelling this generation and I feel mostly correct in that assumption. At a rate never before seen in this medium, game consoles provide loads of entertainment and worth. Most games release on multiple platforms and for every big exclusicve blockbuster there are 5 equally quality multiplats and indies on every platform...

We fought most viciously about resolution and frames per second, which to me is what you do when you have nothing left to fight about... Also, supremely boring forum talk as it leads nowhere and no one can objectively say their experience was better at 1080p compared to 4k... The game itself still needs to be quality.

Basically we've argued about non stories for several years as our previously more defined world of measuring who is winning, has faded away.

There is no more meta game of tracking scores, because platforms share games 98 percent of the time and there is no precedent of people retur ing consoles because they are not performing well with games...

We have a healthy market... Insane amounts of parity between AAA and indie games for everyone and I think the well is drying up...

So I ask... Next gen when consoles are released, is there any meat still on the system wars bones or have you realized yet that everyone is happy playing what they have?

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

The system wars will rage on forever.

Humans love arguing about everything.

PS5 is going to demolish Xbox two and we will have another 10 years of lemmings crying.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44038 Posts

No need next gen. Xbox will rule the roost and scare them all out of the biz just like Phony fleeing E3 this year. lol :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think the forum will continue, but I agree with you that the barrel is being scraped

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Problem is that Xbox fcked up form the beginning not putting up a legit fight with Sony.

PS4 won from the start, it was very clear. And thus we had a boring system wars gen.

PS3 vs 360 was a good war because they were so close in the battle.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46216 Posts

Nintendo is in a gen of its own.

The situation is weird now, but still fun.

I think the next Xbox and PS will go for 4K/30. So of course there will be many wars over who pulls off 4K more consistently and who pulls off 30fps more consistently.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34581 Posts

Not much need for SW, no. Today this forum is mostly for normal game discussions and gaming news. That, and the fact that this is the most active forum on the site is the reason I'm here. Being labeled "System Wars" though, we still get the occassional idiots arguing about what's "best", and I guess this forum is more fitting than any other when you want to post angry messages. But it feels like SW is slowly becoming a general games discussion forum, which I think is a good thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Humans are naturally prone to exhibit choice-supportive bias so therefore people will continue to amplify the advantages of the console that they chose to purchase no matter how small and negligible that advantage actually is while also downplaying any weaknesses that the console that they chose to purchase has in order to satisfy the psychological need to justify that their purchasing decision was the correct one. So therefore there will always be a systems war.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69397 Posts

Gens are dead and the system wars will also be dead because exclusives are going the way of the dodo the moment streaming services get momentum. It would not matter what the loud minority prefers on this forum because the "casual" gamer rules. OP is also right that these systems library are mostly identical and the few variants are blown out of proportion and still under sell multi platform games on the select system.

I can't wait for agnostic gaming so I wouldn't have to spend money on multiple redundant hardware because some fool wants to hardware lock their game.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

The PS4 is still releasing tons of exclusives and so is the Switch. Hence, Sony and Nintendo are good.

Microsoft is the only one making it seem like there is no point in SW, and for good reason. They are in last place, they've pretty much given up this gen.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

People will still fight over systems. @SolidGame_basic will post his infamous poll threads. Asking what was your favorite platform in 2020 - 21ish?. Then we will all chime in including Pedro lol. Some will say my ps5 is collecting dust because teh movie games. I don't need xboxtwo its redundant I played all the games on my new Ipad. Others will say PC will always be the best place to play you console peasants. That in its simplistic form is what SW will still be.

I agree with posts above its good place to fight over games not necessary the systems these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I was done back when I deleted "GoldenElementXL" the first time. I think the board has run its course and doesn't really serve a purpose anymore. Mods, I think its time...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56057 Posts

Honestly, I feel that PC really has it cover for no need of system wars, PC just dominates them all. (One system to rule them all) If system wars is gone from Gamespot, I too will leave as well cause it's the only active forum in this hell hole place.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Frankly, I thought it was some XBox apologist bullshit that the metagame was officially abandoned at the exact point where it was becoming clear that MS was mismanaging its studios (Halo MCC launch aftermath).

I also think that whitewashing platforms as being equal is simply a way of putting one system that has consistently released AAAE titles and even AAAAE titles on thr same footing as another platform that has skated by on goodwill and terminal laziness. The Switch truly exposed all of that, though. Now we are arguing that all the sytems are the same while only one of them is afflicted with same-ism.

So, no. Hell to the no. The System Wars will rage on. With the advent of new graphics technology in PC gaming with Ray-tracing, its even more absurd. The big two consoles are tied to AMD, more power to them, but I see a strong case for PC gaming to separate itself from console gamong if developers embrace new tech and make games that explore that tech long past anything a console launching in 2021 will be capable of.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

At this point only around a dozen people are still actively "system warring" and most are doing a rather poor job of it.

It might be time to bring games discussion, legacy discussion, and system wars all together.

There will still be much to talk about though when the next Playstation and Xbox hit

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

There's not a need to have one now. It's a pissing contest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@Pedro said:

Gens are dead and the system wars will also be dead because exclusives are going the way of the dodo the moment streaming services get momentum. It would not matter what the loud minority prefers on this forum because the "casual" gamer rules. OP is also right that these systems library are mostly identical and the few variants are blown out of proportion and still under sell multi platform games on the select system.

I can't wait for agnostic gaming so I wouldn't have to spend money on multiple redundant hardware because some fool wants to hardware lock their game.

If hardware exclusives ever go the way of the dodo in favor of streaming services (yuck) then there would instead be exclusives to each of the inevitable multiple competing streaming services just like there currently is with Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/etc. So you would instead rather spend your money on multiple different streaming services? That's much worse in my opinion.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

There's not a need to have one now. It's a pissing contest.

lol it's ALWAYS been a pissing contest. What do you think the name "system wars" implies?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Hmm maybe we should rename it to Review Wars or Game Wars. There is still a lot to fight over, but it's more and more about how reviewers are not doing their job or one game versus another.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#21 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17800 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

As longs as theres still exclusives on systems, there will be nice wars to be had.

The differences in hardware are quite minor in some of these consoles, unless ur comparing PC to the consoles which is always in a different league due to the massive differences in hardware price.

Not really sure how someone who bought a 1200 dollar 2080ti, paired with some 500+ dollar 9900k cpu thinks they should feel good about themselves bragging about fps compared to a 300 dollar console. PC version looks best? what a shock.

It's not a fair war if you're fighting with nuclear weapons.

That is why SW is fun. Everybody knows PC wins by default, but we stick around for the butthurt, tears, and silliness of it all. LOL

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@BassMan said:
@Yams1980 said:

As longs as theres still exclusives on systems, there will be nice wars to be had.

The differences in hardware are quite minor in some of these consoles, unless ur comparing PC to the consoles which is always in a different league due to the massive differences in hardware price.

Not really sure how someone who bought a 1200 dollar 2080ti, paired with some 500+ dollar 9900k cpu thinks they should feel good about themselves bragging about fps compared to a 300 dollar console. PC version looks best? what a shock.

That is why SW is fun. Everybody knows PC wins by default, but we stick around for the butthurt, tears, and silliness of it all. LOL

Exclusives on systems

>

Everybody knows PC wins by default

...pick one!

PC is ALWAYS last place in the quality exclusive argument unless you're beating your chest about how many forgettable basement developed trash titles a system can push out.

PC wins in the exclusive shovleware category however, I agree with that stance 100%.

When was the last time PC had a legitimate GOTY caliber exclusive in the running to win best game of the year? Crysis in 2007? and LOST to Nintendo's Mario Galaxy? lol yeah I think that's the last time.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The only reason it existed this gen is because it's the most active gaming forum. It's sad that a cesspool of ignorance and hate are the most active gaming forum but I feel that's an accurate description for the world we currently live in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I disagree. Yes, the principal focus this gen was on framerate/resolution but that's just because those are the only areas you can legitimately argue for. It's not like last gen (when all companies were aggressively competing with one another), this gen Microsoft got destroyed. Whatever your personal preference is, the objective data (sales, metascores, congregation of awards) very heavily favours PS4. Microsoft can barely get crackdown 3 out of the gate after all this time...

Look at the top rated metascores for this gen. You consistently see exclusives at the very top. Many of the best games this gen were exclusives, the only major difference is that Xbox now seems to be sharing everything with Windows.

If Microsoft brings their A game next gen then I don't see why we shouldn't have system wars again in full swing.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts
@knight-k said:

Problem is that Xbox fcked up form the beginning not putting up a legit fight with Sony.

PS4 won from the start, it was very clear. And thus we had a boring system wars gen.

This has nothing to do with it. The last time this board was actually good was in the PS2/Xbox/GCN era and we all know by how far the PS2 was leading back then, it made the PS4 lead look cute in comparison.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

The idea that PS4 people think Xbox fans cry is laughable.

Its so funny cause all you PS4 fanboys always sound like your crying for attention, and think your victims. Yet you're the most petty fanboys I've ever seen and you're all responsible for 8th gen hate than anyone.

I will guarantee System Wars, cause when Xbox doesn't trip at beginning, people will work triple overtime to harass Xbox and hate on it as hard as possible to stop it from being more successful.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#27  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17800 Posts

@tgob89 said:
@BassMan said:
@Yams1980 said:

Exclusives on systems

>

Everybody knows PC wins by default

...pick one!

PC is ALWAYS last place in the quality exclusive argument unless you're beating your chest about how many forgettable basement developed trash titles a system can push out.

PC wins in the exclusive shovleware category however, I agree with that stance 100%.

When was the last time PC had a legitimate GOTY caliber exclusive in the running to win best game of the year? Crysis in 2007? and LOST to Nintendo's Mario Galaxy? lol yeah I think that's the last time.

You seem to be ignoring the simple truth in the OP....

@TheEroica said:

for every big exclusicve blockbuster there are 5 equally quality multiplats and indies on every platform...

The vast majority of quality games are multiplats and they are by far best on PC. So, PC wins by default. Besides, pretty much all past GOTY games are available on PC in one way or another...

https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/every-gamespot-game-of-the-year/2900-653/2/

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

When things do become a serious service orientated without the boxes, it will be like Netflix and Hulu subscribers arguing. Which never happens.

I always thought it was strange how there are huge arguments all over the net about Marvel vs DC. Comics are like $2. Buy as many as you want right? They probably think some of us here are nuts as well.

I predict we have one more gen of our nonsense, and then no one will ever come to GameSpot again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@the-a-baum: I think Marvel vs DC has more to do with difference of preference. Same idea with sports. Fans of one team can certainly watch other teams, but they prefer that specific team for whatever reason and need to argue with others who disagree.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

@XVision84 said:

@the-a-baum: I think Marvel vs DC has more to do with difference of preference. Same idea with sports. Fans of one team can certainly watch other teams, but they prefer that specific team for whatever reason and need to argue with others who disagree.

I hear you but comic books are so cheap. It makes no sense to buy Batman and not buy X-men if i like both. Or Image or Darkhorse comics etc.

Different than Sports as they are area based even though almost the whole team is not really from there. (Ok sports are dumb too, but I love them)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#32 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69397 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

If hardware exclusives ever go the way of the dodo in favor of streaming services (yuck) then there would instead be exclusives to each of the inevitable multiple competing streaming services just like there currently is with Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/etc. So you would instead rather spend your money on multiple different streaming services? That's much worse in my opinion.

Its cheaper by far.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11077 Posts

This gen was fantastic for system wars. People here still fall apart over crap even though the battle had been settled some time ago. But, once everything starts going the way of streaming and the like, then yeah, the console wars will be over for good. Because honestly, platform wars are gonna seem dumb in comparison when everyone is paying for a bunch of subscription services.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

There has never been a need for Systems wars in any gaming generation. Yes people will have another Console wars in the 9th. Because that is Human nature to choose a side.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45082 Posts

As long as there is no monopoly, there will be a system war. Which is a good thing..competition makes the industry better.

xHedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xHedon
Member since 2018 • 293 Posts

Right now the Switch is all alone in the next gen race. Xbox Next is going to demolish PS5 and we will have another 10 years of cows crying.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

There will always be something for the fanboys of this forum to find as System Wars fodder. They will eventually find it.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@TheEroica:

It depends who goes cheap with smaller chip area size and lower memory quality.

Design choices from MS and Sony

PS4 Pro APU chip area size: ~321 mm2 which includes 40 CU GPU with RPM. 36 CU active. Sony focus on "TFLOPS" argument which doesn't include significant memory read/write improvements.

X1X APU chip area size: ~359 mm2 which includes 44 CU GPU with 2MB render cache. 40 CU active. MS focused on rasterization with significant memory read/write improvements. Lessons learn from NVIDIA Maxwell/Pascal designs.

Both APU's GPU are nearly similar in size, but X1X's delivers better performance e.g. X1X's RDR2 delivered two PS4 Pro performance.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

I for one have greatly enjoyed the absolute ownage to Xbox fans this gen and see them cry and damage control everyday for the past years so Im ready to see that next gen also.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:
@knight-k said:

This has nothing to do with it. The last time this board was actually good was in the PS2/Xbox/GCN era and we all know by how far the PS2 was leading back then, it made the PS4 lead look cute in comparison.

It has almost everything to do with it.

SW has less activity now but still enough to warrant some good shitposting. The big difference is exclusive games. PS4 still has enough but Xbox One almost has none, the og Xbox had a lot of exclusives and was also stronger than PS2.

There was enough fuel for the fire, not this gen.