Is The Switch Really Worth It?

#1 Edited by ThatDBFan (426 posts) -

I've mostly seen Nintendo's consoles since the Wii as mostly gimmicks.

Now, the reason why I am asking if the Switch is worth it is because I've found only two games that really catch my eye. Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. However, I don't really wanna buy the system if I'm only gonna like and play 2 games. Games like Mario Kart and such don't appeal to me. So is it worth it? Are there any other games that might be worth trying? Is it worth it compared to the Xbox One and PS4?

#2 Posted by XVision84 (16328 posts) -

It's a different experience. I got one for zelda, xenoblade, odyssey, pokemon, Mario kart, fire emblem, smash bros, and donkey kong country. It's especially useful for long plane rides or road trips or just general portable entertainment.

Whether it's worth it or not ultimately depends on your wants and your tastes. Its games and general user experience varies considerably from that of ps4/xbone.

#3 Posted by ThatDBFan (426 posts) -

@XVision84:

@XVision84 said:

It's a different experience. I got one for zelda, xenoblade, odyssey, pokemon, Mario kart, fire emblem, smash bros, and donkey kong country. It's especially useful for long plane rides or road trips or just general portable entertainment.

Whether it's worth it or not ultimately depends on your wants and your tastes. Its games and general user experience varies considerably from that of ps4/xbone.

I've always been much more a traditional console guy, playing systems like GameCube for a few games, Xbox, and a little bit of Playstation.

For me personally, games like Smash bros and Donkey Kong would be games I would probably get just to pass time and not take very seriously while playing. I never really was interested in Mario Kart games. They aren't my cup of tea. Usually, if I want to play racing games, I'd play something like Forza because it's more.. "real" feeling is the only way I can describe it. But to each their own.

#4 Posted by Fedor (5269 posts) -

If you are only interested in 2 games you answered your own question.

#5 Edited by DaVillain- (37535 posts) -

I have own the Switch since launch, me and my daughter both enjoy it but for me, I only use the portability mainly to play it on the Bus, Train and lunch break during work is what makes the Switch more helpful and I rarely ever play it at home due to I game everyday on my PC. Playing the Switch on the go is the best part of owning a Switch.....for me that is.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild & Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are worth owning a Switch if you plan to use the portability that is. I been playing SSB Ultimate just about everyday and it's my most played Switch title yet.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#6 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24363 posts) -

If you have the money, just go out and try it. Worse outcome is you can sell it or trade it in.

#7 Posted by dzimm (5513 posts) -

In my humble but almost certainly correct opinion, the Nintendo Switch is the best console ever made. Heck, it may even be the best gaming system ever made.

#8 Posted by XVision84 (16328 posts) -

@thatdbfan: You do you, mate. It's not meant to be taken seriously, they're goofy and fun.

#9 Posted by ThatDBFan (426 posts) -

@XVision84: Are there any other RPGs like BoTW and Xenoblade worth looking into?

#10 Posted by Archangel3371 (28400 posts) -

That’s always up to the individual. I have about a dozen games for my Switch with at least a dozen more I want that are currently out that I want to get plus plenty that will come out in the future that I’m looking forward to. So for me the Switch is most definitely worth it.

#11 Edited by KungfuKitten (26742 posts) -

Well I mean, if you are content playing what you have access to then why buy another system? I wouldn't buy it at full price for 2 games. The Switch offers you more freedom with your games. It offers novel games and indie games freed from the TV. If that doesn't draw you, and the genres of Nintendo games like brawlers, puzzle games, platformers don't draw you, then I'd at least wait for a cheaper version. Or maybe buy one second hand?

#12 Posted by jeezers (3167 posts) -

Ive gotten alot more use out of it than I thought I would, its basically my indie/arcade machine. I mainly play it in portable.

I dont buy any arcade games for my ps4 if its on switch. Hollow knight, the genisis and namco mueseum collections, shovel knight, games like Octopath, zelda, Mario, and bayonetta also.

My only complaint is my gf got addicted to stardew valley on the switch..... She isnt even a gamer and has put over 600 hours into that game.. She did the same with tetris 99... So i dont get to play it as much as id like. Atleast she can't say "you play too many video games" any more lol that conversation was always annoying af

#13 Posted by Coolyfett (6055 posts) -

@thatdbfan: the device needs more apps. The games catalog is fine. Add iTunes, Spotify, Netflix & Browser & Coolyfett may get one. Many Nintendo fans argue that the Switch is a console. Todays consoles have multimedia features. It has the games.

#14 Posted by Random_Matt (4294 posts) -

If you like the games, sure. Two games? Probably not.

#15 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

If you like nintendo games, yes.

#16 Posted by XVision84 (16328 posts) -

@thatdbfan: That's better answered by someone who has owned a Switch for a long time. I've only had mine a few days and for the games I listed.

#17 Posted by ThatDBFan (426 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

Don't really care much for Nintendo games in general, but BoTW and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are very tempting. Are there any other RPGs on the switch like them?

#18 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@thatdbfan said:
@calvincfb said:

Don't really care much for Nintendo games in general, but BoTW and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are very tempting. Are there any other RPGs on the switch like them?

There is Octopath Traveler.

If you really want to play, you can buy, finish them and sell the console. Switches are really easy to sell.

#19 Posted by mojito1988 (3672 posts) -

If you only want 2 games on a system, don't buy it. That is more or less what I did with X-box one and Ps4 this generation and they were disappointing to me. (X-box one was VERY disappointing). I have over 50 games on the Switch and am in love with it.

My point is of course don't buy the Switch as you only want 2 games. You will just end up disappointed.

#20 Posted by Sevenizz (4018 posts) -

Poor power, poor 3rd party support, poor online, poor controller (unless you pay extra for the good one), and mediocre exclusives make it a no buy for me.

#21 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19164 posts) -

For me, it's absolutely worth it... it's fast becoming my fav console this gen. Not only do you have Nintendo's exclusives (Mario Odyssey is my game of the gen so far), but it's also fantastic for Indies.

And the best is yet to come I think.

#22 Posted by rmiller365 (795 posts) -

For me personally, I have zero interest in getting a Switch. I work a normal full time job, I drive to work, and I get one hour I get for lunch so the whole portability thing doesn't do anything for me. Hell, I bought a new 2DS and 20 games and I've never really played it.

Zelda games are also the only exclusives that interest me , so I would rather have a more powerful console to play when I get home than sacrifice game quality for portability.

#23 Posted by clone01 (27527 posts) -

You kind of answered your own question

#24 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20633 posts) -

It depends on how much you value Switch exclusives, online, portability (and the lack of a d-pad without buying a third party peripheral).

For me, the answer has been no, with Metroid Prime 4 being the only glimmer of hope in the distance. The PC & PS4 have provided me with the best exclusives and multiplat experiences this gen.

#25 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36480 posts) -

If you're not interested, don't bother.

#26 Edited by Solaryellow (5101 posts) -

Using an open mind will result in one acknowledging Switch has a damn good library. Only two games? Bad hyperbole.

#27 Posted by enzyme36 (4260 posts) -

Absolutely... every penny!

Even if its only 2 games... heck even if its only 1 game and that game is BotW. Its worth it.

#28 Edited by lundy86_4 (53634 posts) -

I haven't played my Switch in quite a while, but that was due to other issues... I really do enjoy going back to Xeno 2, and even BotW (to a lesser extent.)

You absolutely need to grab Odyssey, as well as Tropical Freeze. TBH, there are a multitude of worthwhile titles, consisting of exclusives/ports/indies.

#29 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -

it is if you want to play switch games

#30 Posted by Planeforger (18072 posts) -

I have played my Switch almost every day since it launched two years ago.

I can't think of another platform that has aborbed this much of my time. It easily outdid my expectations as both a portable device and a console, and I've got a huge wishlist despite owning 60+ games on it.

Plus it's only going to get better later this year - with Fire Emblem, Mario Maker 2, Dragon Quest 11, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Astral Chain, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and a huge amount of great indie titles.. So yes, it's an easy recommendation for me.

#31 Posted by 2Chalupas (7100 posts) -

If you view it as a home console that you plan on playing docked to a big screen, as some people were trying to argue that it was initially, then hells to the no. You would basically be paying $300 for PS3 quality level games, i.e. you are stuck 10 years in the past.

If you view it with the reduced expectations of a mobile device, then sure why not. It's an interesting mobile device, has a decent enough lineup (already far better than Wii-U at least) that can play some full PS3/360 games on the go. That is a step up from the Vita which was basically a PS2 on the go, and the 3DS which is beneath that even. While a number of devices run circles around it in terms of raw hardware power, the dedicated gaming experiences are miles better than any phone or tablet.

#32 Edited by lundy86_4 (53634 posts) -

@2Chalupas said:

If you view it as a home console that you plan on playing docked to a big screen, as some people were trying to argue that it was initially, then hells to the no. You would basically be paying $300 for PS3 quality level games, i.e. you are stuck 10 years in the past.

That's the only way I play the Switch, and so long as it provides excellent games, then why give a shit?

#33 Edited by BassMan (10570 posts) -

No, it is not worth it. I bought a Switch and sold it. There aren't many exclusives that interest me and I am not really a handheld gamer. So, it was just sitting around collecting dust. Breath of the Wild is on PC now and Switch emulators are progressing nicely. So, I won't be missing out on anything if there are some good exclusives coming in the future. Before you try to lecture me about emulators, piracy, blah, blah, blah.... Just know that I will happily buy Nintendo games on PC if they are made available. I shouldn't have to waste money on a shit console to gain access to games when my PC is more than capable.

#34 Posted by Speeny (1881 posts) -

It’s great in my opinion.

#35 Posted by Kinanza (17 posts) -

As a Switch owner, it's a mixed bag. Great if you want to play handheld.

#36 Posted by BlueIon (120 posts) -

I very much love my Switch. I can’t help but recommend it! :)

#37 Posted by xantufrog (11615 posts) -

It's my favorite console since the DC+PS2 I think. It actually complements and extends my gaming experiences from my PC in a meaningful way (both in terms of library and features).

But no - if you are only interested in two games don't bother. I've never "loved" the consoles I bought for that reason - although I've never overtly regretted them

#38 Posted by uninspiredcup (34364 posts) -

PC is better. Switch will collect dust.

Games too expensive, horrible paid online, weak sauce hardware etc...

#39 Posted by lamprey263 (36180 posts) -

If you have to ask then the answer is no, not for you.

#40 Posted by m_machine024 (15871 posts) -

For Nintendo games and indies, yes. But you don't seem interested so don't get it.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#41 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5747 posts) -

I love mine, got a lot of great games for it. I'd definitely recommend it. Portability's a big thing for me as well.

#42 Posted by ThatDBFan (426 posts) -

@calvincfb said:
@thatdbfan said:
@calvincfb said:

There is Octopath Traveler.

If you really want to play, you can buy, finish them and sell the console. Switches are really easy to sell.

After thinking about it, seeing these responses, and watching more of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I think I'lll go ahead and buy one even if just to play those two games.

#43 Edited by Rahnyc4 (6660 posts) -

Wasn't gonna get a console ever again, after gaming on PC. Switch is the only out of the 3 to convince me to get back into console gaming and im enjoying it a lot. I play it mostly undocked, though. FYI the Switch seem to cater a lot to older gamers and i mean late 20s to 30s.

#44 Posted by 2Chalupas (7100 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
@2Chalupas said:

That's the only way I play the Switch, and so long as it provides excellent games, then why give a shit?

Because with the Switch you are paying for the mobility, mostly. Otherwise the price vs. performance of the hardware makes zero sense. It only slightly ever made sense at it's launch when looked at and compared as a mobile device, it wasn't bad, but a couple years later and I'd say people are paying an unnecessary "Nintendo premium" even when considering it as a handheld.

I mean if one wants to play Nintendo exclusives, getting their hardware is the entry price, and you may even have to pay that false premium for weak hardware. That's the way it is with Nintendo. But when looking at 3rd party games, it makes little sense to play much of anything on Switch unless it is being used as a mobile handheld - that is literally the only benefit to the Switch. That you can take it and go (to a different room, on the road, whatever).

#45 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

Ewwww, Handhelds. :P

#46 Posted by shellcase86 (4486 posts) -

Yes. I think?

I got a Switch for my kid. As expected, he played a ton when he first got it, but now plays the PS4 more. However, the Switch's gets a lot of play when we visit friends or have friends over -- and that's when its portability is clutch.

As for me, I played Smash and Mario a bit, but haven't felt compelled to play much beyond those. If it was a purchase just for me, then no, but as is it gets moderate use.

#47 Posted by BIOKILLER123 (903 posts) -

@thatdbfan: Imo, getting the Switch for those games will be worth it because you can play dozens of hours.

#49 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (195 posts) -

I was excited about the prospect of getting myself a switch for a while but now I'm finding myself getting more and more weary the switch will go the rout of the Wii. Lots of consoles sold and some exciting first party exclusives, but not as much as the Xbox or PS4 can offer once you combine the available third party games, exclusives, and games that where exclusive for the PS4 or Xbox one but now are multi-plat but not on the switch yet.

Still, it'll have much better than the Wii's motion controls and I'll definitely pick one up on the cheep someday towards the end of the switch cycle perhaps, but for me personally, it's a waiting game. Is there enough content for me to justify picking one up new or should I wait until I can buy one up at the local game store for about $90 or so. That's the question I'm facing at the moment.