Is the Switch going from free to play online to paid only online?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Seems like people bought the switch for free online play and now they are being forced to pay for stuff they didn't have to before it just doesn't make any sense.

It's free and working right now why does it need to be paid for is my question to sheep

with PS+ like i said i got god of war 3 remastered playing through it right now im not getting shit from nintendo or xbox one

Maybe keep the free online and just have an option for the NES online games for 20 bux imo or whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Nintendo sheep would pay $100 a month.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I bought the Switch as the family friendly 4 player couch co-op system with a little Zelda on the side. Nintendo's online plans for the Switch outside of virtual console have never interested me. Then when they confirmed no virtual console, I bought a Raspberry Pi for the classics.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Not defending Switch's online because there's a lot I hate about it. But Nintendo said from day one that they planned on shifting to a paid system after launch, so this really shouldn't be a surprise for most Switch owners at all.

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:

Seems like people bought the switch for free online play and now they are being forced to pay for stuff they didn't have to before it just doesn't make any sense.

Yep. And I think Nintendo underestimated that part.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@NukleaWorfair said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Yep. And I think Nintendo underestimated that part.

yeah remember all the hermits bragging about switch as the perfect device

now its not so perfect is it herms its pay to play online unlike PC its a money pit now

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

It's not paid only. Several games like Fortnite won't require the online service. As far as no virtual console, that's exactly what the online service is providing. It comes as part of the service. They just don't call it virtual console anymore.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@CrillanK said:

It's not paid only. Several games like Fortnite won't require the online service. As far as no virtual console, that's exactly what the online service is providing. It comes as part of the service. They just don't call it virtual console anymore.

They better bring way more than just NES games to make the service remotely palpable. Giving NES games online play just isn't enough to be exciting. Give us Gamecube games.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

A lot of people will pay to play simply for Mario party.

LnV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LnV
Member since 2018 • 151 Posts

I prefer paying one third of the price than gaining "free games" that are garbage 90% of the time or things I already own because they only appear 3 years only after launch.I have complaint about more important stuff like the cloud saves and the online stablity...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

"Seems like people bought the switch for free online play"

I find that hard to believe since we have always known about this and it was actually delayed like a year.

I know I didn't - I knew it was coming and I'm not going to pay for online now that it's here. Was never part of my plan

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Having a conversation with you is like pulling teeth. Sony did the exact same thing, yet you draw them into the comparison. At this point, you're either the biggest idiot to exist, or so brilliant, you appear to be dumb as shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Having a conversation with you is like pulling teeth. Sony did the exact same thing, yet you draw them into the comparison. At this point, you're either the biggest idiot to exist, or so brilliant, you appear to be dumb as shit.

Its definitely the former lol.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Its definitely the former lol.

Not even a question lol.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

lets see... paying 60$ for psn which was free before is good because you got god of war 3 (a game from 10 years ago) free.

paying 20$ for nintendo online with free games from 50 years ago is bad.

ok i think i get your logic.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

@jaydan said:
@CrillanK said:

They better bring way more than just NES games to make the service remotely palpable. Giving NES games online play just isn't enough to be exciting. Give us Gamecube games.

Just like with the Virtual Console, they'll likely roll new games out regularly. Seems reasonable to me.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

It was communicated from well before release that there would eventually be a paid online subscription. Nothing about this was “all of a sudden”.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@toaders said:
@Sgt_Crow said:

It was communicated from well before release that there would eventually be a paid online subscription. Nothing about this was “all of a sudden”.

People even knew the pricing and about the NES stuff last year.

This. People acting as if this was some surprise dropped on them over night are full of it.

That said....Nintendo REALLY sucks at online and has a VERY LONG way to go to get anywhere near decent.

They will have decent online services someday, I'm just not sure I will be alive long enough to see it :)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Free 2 Play games on the Switch remain outside the Nintendo Online paywall

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I don't believe there people who bought a Switch because of free online.

Dogwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dogwax
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

It was always known it was going charged.

I seriously doubt anyone brought a switch because of free online.

What has this got to do with X1?

Yet another thread dumbster fire by TC who seems to be really suffering at this point over his plastic box. It;s ok TC sony value you as the special little consumer you are all for them

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I don't recall any prevelant dialogues of the Switch's appeal being free online, it's been known for a long while they were going to charge for online, just that it would be free for a set time. Seems like TC is just making up bullshit as usual.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I think this issue has been massively overblown.

Like most Nintendo consoles and handhelds before it, I suspect that the majority of players will be gaming in local or wireless multiplayer, neither of which require an online subscription.

For the people who play online, Nintendo made it clear from the start that online play would only be free for the first year or so. They definitely didn't go around misleading people.