Is the survival horror genre essentially dead?

harrygooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 harrygooch
Member since 2015 • 282 Posts

With capcom making resident evil a casual third person shooter and konami killing silent hill (cant understand why im sure theyll turn a profit especially with all the hype the demo received)

Is the genre many of us love dead?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

That's the exact reason they're remastering and remaking the older Resident Evil games, that's when it was done right. Everything put out now is forgettable nonsense, however Alien Isolation was a pretty solid survival horror game.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

Unfortunately, yes. Those games were never big sellers in the first place, aside from the first Resident Evil and Silent Hill games, most struggled to reach the million mark.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Yes, best we can hope for now is the Re2 remake

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Alien Isolation also under-performed. I think it'll be the last big budget horror for quite some time.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

if people didn't shit all over Dead Space and Dead Island we'd still have those, the third Dead Space game was actually quite decent

anyhow, we got games this gen like Dying Light, Fatal Frame for Wii U, State of Decay, Zombie Army Trilogy, The Evil Within, Dead Rising 3, nothing of great critical acclaim but anybody that loves horror in film knows you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel sometimes and sometimes it pays off big finding those great lesser known gems

harrygooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 harrygooch
Member since 2015 • 282 Posts

@lamprey263: ugh, all those games you mentioned are either shit or turned into shit by the time their latest installment released. Im fucking livid that konami pulled the carpet out from under us with the whole silent hill debacle. It was on its way to greatness, much like the ps4 this gen.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@harrygooch: LIES!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I think the upcoming virtual reality devices are going to breath new life into the survival horror genre. There is no better genre suited for VR than survival horror so I expect developers to start releasing a lot of new survival horror games once the VR devices hit the market.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#10 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@harrygooch: Yes, and FPS players killed it.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Pretty much. Alien: Isolation was alright, and the new Fatal Frame sucked. Silent Hills would have been a giant success, but it was cancelled... I love this genre but it's struggling.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

No, I doubt we get a game as good as Silent Hill 2, but that speaks more to the excellence of Silent Hill 2. Frictional Games exists, there are plenty of under the radar horror games that come out such as Outlast, or attempts in the adventure space, and Alien Isolation at least breaking even, and The Evil Within doing fine in October gives me hope on some level. Capcom is remaking their classics, I'm mildly looking at that as a positive with the assumption that if they are stupid enough to continue with Resident Evil, they will take the chance to finally reboot the series. The Last of Us wasn't exactly horror, but it had survival elements, and was meant to be tense in spots like a horror game, and that game sold, very well actually.

I don't think it thrives in the Triple A space necessarily, but even looking back only Resident Evil was triple A in the strictest sense, maybe Silent Hill as well. The other horror games of those gens were more middle tier titles than anything, and frankly those were always scarier than Resident Evil.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Alien Isolation says hi.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Hopefully Sony Bend's survival horror game turns out good because it sounds interesting.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

The release of Resident Evil Revelation's infernal mode was more difficult than any Resident Evil game to date.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Not remotely. PC has tons of great titles, even if they are indie.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

No, but it should be.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

Alien Isolation was great survival for the first half, then we all know how it went on the second half. I'm at chapter 5 on the Evil Within, and even though the story is shit, I find it very underrated. Very good game so far.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@nyadc said:

That's the exact reason they're remastering and remaking the older Resident Evil games, that's when it was done right. Everything put out now is forgettable nonsense, however Alien Isolation was a pretty solid survival horror game.

No they are remastering the old games because they don't want to shell out for an AAA budget Resident Evil 7 yet. I think the excitement for the announcement of Resident Evil 2 REmake and the crazy reception to Silent Hills(PT) proves that survival horror still has a market.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I think its kinda dead, we dont get good survival horror games hardly anymore. But then again, were they ever really alive in the first place, sure we had some big ones, but most were very niche.

Them early Resident Evil games where the good ol days. Hopefully they will go back to it before its too late.

comchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 comchild
Member since 2004 • 238 Posts

Dying Light was awesome, so I'd say no... their latest expansion is supposed to be big enough to be a stand alone title.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

No I don't think so. As a big fan of the genre I was quite happy with the console offerings of 2013-2014, I'm still playing some of those games. I'm still playing Slender man, haven't played the DLC for Outlast yet. The games have slowed down this year but thankfully not as much on PC it seems so hopefully as an Xbox One owner I can look forward to more fantastic PC ports in the future.

It's too bad my favorite horror franchise, Slient Hill, probably will not see a release anytime soon. But I just recently noticed the SEGA game Condemned appear in my XOne BC games, which is great because I always wanted to go back to that game and had forgotten about it, so that will be one of the next horror games I intend to finish. Hopefully the genre picks up some steam next year.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#23 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Slender The Arrival and Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water were great.

And What about Outlast?

I think the Survival Horror genre is still alive. We just don't get many of them and stop relying on Konami and Capcom to make them.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-58550f2b585f7
deactivated-58550f2b585f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-58550f2b585f7
Member since 2006 • 146 Posts

There is NightCry and Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities. Both are scheduled to be released this year, and I am just so pleased over how they resemble classics like Clock Tower and Silent Hill 2. While it`s a quiet period for the genre, be grateful for small mercies.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Silent Hill is officially dead I'd say. But those games are still great even today, I'm thinking about going through Shattered Memories again sometime soon.

Resident Evil is getting HD re-releases, maybe RE7 will go back to that style if the HD's keep selling well.

Alien Isolation was decent I hear, haven't played it yet though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Depends on the definition of "survival horror" (I never liked the term much to begin with). I would say that Horror games in general are evolving, and we have had more horror games made in the last few years then we've had forever.

But the survival horror of "old" either got too action heavy or simply could not reinvent itself to stay relevant. We still have the evolved Horror games, and horror games as a whole is still around in spades.

Ironically It seems Horror on pc and console, is doomed to the same spot as in the movie industry, relatively low cost productions, with a high degree of crap amongst it.

Simple answer is likely that most people don't like to be scared, and won't go for anything horror.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46273 Posts

I got Outlast in the Humble Bundle, is it any good ?

Does it have a good story ?

@jg4xchamp said:

No, I doubt we get a game as good as Silent Hill 2, but that speaks more to the excellence of Silent Hill 2. Frictional Games exists, there are plenty of under the radar horror games that come out such as Outlast, or attempts in the adventure space, and Alien Isolation at least breaking even, and The Evil Within doing fine in October gives me hope on some level. Capcom is remaking their classics, I'm mildly looking at that as a positive with the assumption that if they are stupid enough to continue with Resident Evil, they will take the chance to finally reboot the series. The Last of Us wasn't exactly horror, but it had survival elements, and was meant to be tense in spots like a horror game, and that game sold, very well actually.

I don't think it thrives in the Triple A space necessarily, but even looking back only Resident Evil was triple A in the strictest sense, maybe Silent Hill as well. The other horror games of those gens were more middle tier titles than anything, and frankly those were always scarier than Resident Evil.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

outlast and frictional games have stepped in to replace them.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

I got Outlast in the Humble Bundle, is it any good ?

Yeah it's a good game.

@R4gn4r0k said:

Does it have a good story ?

lolno

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Dead? what about most boring but beloved walking simulator like SOMA and amnesia.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

I brought Evil Within the other day(£15 Special Edition). The Controls are bit clunky, The graphics are reasonale at best but the lighting is good so that does add to the atmosphere. Its worth a dabble from the couple hours I've played.

Still to really play Alien, I brought it but i brought FFXIV at same time.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

I thought Outlast and Silent Hill P.T. were good examples of that genre not being dead yet.

I'm excited for Outlast 2.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

No, take off the nostalgia goggles. The only horror in old Resident Evil games were the controls. Trying not to die by bad camera angles is not survival gaming done right.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46273 Posts

@jg4xchamp:

Don't tell me it's just jumpscares. Does it have a good atmosphere ?

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@harrygooch said:

With capcom making resident evil a casual third person shooter and konami killing silent hill (cant understand why im sure theyll turn a profit especially with all the hype the demo received)

Is the genre many of us love dead?

I wouldn't say it's dead, but rather transformed.

Amnesia/Penumbra started a trend.

DandelionWine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#37 DandelionWine
Member since 2016 • 100 Posts

Indie games will save the genre