Is the Steam Controller crappy or have I not customized it enough?

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2129 Posts

I ordered one for about thirteen dollars when Valve had that sale about a month ago and started using it yesterday for the first time.

The camera movement doesn't seem useful. I already have a keyboard and mouse on my coffee table, so having a keyboard and mouse-like experience in front of the TV is sort of wasted for me. It just seems pointless controlling the camera with a swipe when you have none of the range a mouse pad and wrist/forearm provide. Thumbs suck for this. A mouse is great for aiming and a control stick can be adequate depending on the game, but combining both seems like a bad idea.

The face button placement is awkward. They're also small and too close together.

I do like the buttons on the back, but I haven't used them for anything yet.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7535 Posts

Like any new controller, it takes some getting used to. I don't use a controller that often, only when I'm playing games on the TV in the living room or VR games that use a controller. It's my favorite controller for pretty much all games except the ones that are better with a propper D-Pad like Tetris Effect or beat em ups.

The customization is incredible and I can play PC games like Civilisation and Two Point Hospital that would never work on a regular controller.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6729 Posts

Its a huge learning curse. If you dont want to learn it then its really just a crap controller like everyone warned you. If you do put time and effort though, its a pretty good plastic feeling controller. Portal 2 is really good game to test out the controller.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45400 Posts

I did not like the Steam Controller at first either but there is really no controller like it.

Once you grow accustomed to it, know all it's features, it is one of the best interface devices for gaming other than mouse and keyboard.

I recommend using community settings for games because the default layouts are often not so good, and you'd be surprised how many people think along the same lines as you do (I generally start with the most popular community layout, and if that doesn't work out, the next, and so on).

@sakaixx said:

Its a huge learning curse. If you dont want to learn it then its really just a crap controller like everyone warned you. If you do put time and effort though, its a pretty good plastic feeling controller. Portal 2 is really good game to test out the controller.

This.

Keep at it, get used to it.

I recommend finding a sandbox game or open-world game where you can sort of fart around for an hour or so and you don't really care about your performance while you get used to it.

I tried it out with The witcher 3 and it was a lot of fun with that game.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39999 Posts

I never understood what's so good about Steam Controller? My Xbox Elite Controller feels great in my hands, I gotten so used to it whenever I game on my PC, just works like a charm.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 10703 Posts

Steam controller is very unusual so the learning curve is pretty steep but once you use to it you perform far better than a normal controller would in PC centric games and shooters. I use mine for Warframe all the time especially now for railjack it makes aiming so much better. If you expect to just plug it and play like with any other controller without spending sometime customizing controls you're gonna have a bad time.

Your first mistake is trying to use just the touchpads to control the camera. It is highly recommended that you use the gyro to control the camera and only use the touchpad to make huge movements that you can then polish up with the gyro. Everyone that has ever complained about the Steam controller saying it is bad for bad for shooters and camera control only ever used the touchpads, when some of them realize that you can use gyro controls later on take back their claims after seeing how well it works.

Right here is an example of how the Steam controller can work. Look at how these players excel in an arena shooter which is one of the least controller friendly games you could play on it.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25018 Posts

Haven't tried it myself. People say it's probably the best controller to use for PC games when you get it down. I think that might be correct. It looks very customizable and versatile, works for pretty much all kinds of games. Even FPS (if you for some weird reason like to play such games with a controller).

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6032 Posts

@davillain-: It allows one to play games made for mouse with a controller, its also superior to standard controllers in any game that needs pointing accuracy

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 12126 Posts

I bought mine during that sale too, and it's now my favorite controller for PC. I want nothing to do with my X1 controller any more except for the fact that the Steam controller lacks a good d-pad for 2D platformers. Of course, the X1 has a shitty d-pad - but at least it's a normal one.

As others have said, if you don't invest a lot of time customizing and learning it then it just sucks, but if you DO then it really shines. I picked just a few games to play with, rather than ditching everything - playing Rise of the Tomb Raider now and it's definitely they way to go once it's properly configured. Conversely, DOOM 2016 is indeed better with it than X1 controller, but I'm sorry - Mouse is still the way to go for that beast IMO.

I also built a great KOTOR config for it - been lying on my couch playing KOTOR from GOG via Steam overlay and I definitely find my Steam controller config ideal, like RotTR

Gyro aim ftw if you want to shoot stuff without a mouse

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1328 Posts

PS4 controller>Xbone controller>Steam controller>Keyboard/mouse

So don’t feel too bad. You upgraded to the next best thing. Just stick with it bro. It’s so much easier using a controller for games.

Why would you want to break your wrists using a keyboard? Yuck.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37052 Posts
@xantufrog said:

I bought mine during that sale too, and it's now my favorite controller for PC. I want nothing to do with my X1 controller any more except for the fact that the Steam controller lacks a good d-pad for 2D platformers. Of course, the X1 has a shitty d-pad - but at least it's a normal one.

As others have said, if you don't invest a lot of time customizing and learning it then it just sucks, but if you DO then it really shines. I picked just a few games to play with, rather than ditching everything - playing Rise of the Tomb Raider now and it's definitely they way to go once it's properly configured. Conversely, DOOM 2016 is indeed better with it than X1 controller, but I'm sorry - Mouse is still the way to go for that beast IMO.

I also built a great KOTOR config for it - been lying on my couch playing KOTOR from GOG via Steam overlay and I definitely find my Steam controller config ideal, like RotTR

Gyro aim ftw if you want to shoot stuff without a mouse

^

Just d-pad shit. Everything else better.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11320 Posts

Takes some tweaking, but I find the trackball style joystick sim on the right pad to be the best camera control besides a mouse I've ever felt. Gotta get the sensitivity and friction dialed in on a game by game basis, but it's worth it.

I also really like using the SC customization options for the PS4 controller. Got a profile for Witcher 3 that basically copies the PS4 control scheme, but with direct access to all the main menu sections, plus quicksave and HUD toggle, all from the touchpad.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 8842 Posts

I think it is awful for platformers, action games, etc. basically anything that I would use another controller on, *but* its customization capabilities and dual trackpads can make playing some m/kb games on controllers, especially older ones, extremely smooth.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 19871 Posts

I got my Steam Controller for Christmas, I love the track pad, and figured everything out eventually. As long as there's user customize inputs available for old exclusive Keyboard and Mouse settings. The track pad is better for shooters, and I wish Valve would continue supporting it further on to next gen

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FireEmblem_Man

I got my Steam Controller for Christmas, I love the track pad, and figured everything out eventually. As long as there's user customize inputs available for old exclusive Keyboard and Mouse settings. The track pad is better for shooters, and I wish Valve would continue supporting it further on to next gen

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FireEmblem_Man