Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

I haven't heard much about the PSVR since the hype

In case you haven't heard, yet. PSVR is in such high demand that at least the Malaysian launch had to be rolled back and Sony is stepping up production as stated in this interview with Jim Ryan.

"We know from the data we have from pre-orders that the interest we have is significant," Ryan said in a TV interview, adding that at launch, sales will be in the "many hundreds of thousands".

PlayStation VR could sell around 2.6 million units this year, according to SuperData research. Sony is a strong position given that it already has an install base of over 40 million PlayStation 4 consoles, so even a small take-up of the VR headset could bring in additional revenues for the gaming unit.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/13/playstation-vr-goes-on-sale-as-sony-bets-the-headset-will-continue-momentum-for-the-ps4.html

Yeah, you read that right, by the end of December, there will be over 2.5 million of these in people's homes. Haters am cry.

----

Update: Tony Bartel, Gamestop's COO, mentions that headsets are selling out all over the country and is working with Sony to restock stores to meet "tremendous demand". His words, not Sony's. . .

More haters am cry!

Does anyone still care about the PSVR?

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

It flopped so hard.

at least in canada, even during the holiday season it was tough to move them, especially when you needed to buy the eye/controller separately

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Doesn't matter, Sony will stop supporting it with a year or two.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

It flopped so hard.

at least in canada, even during the holiday season it was tough to move them, especially when you needed to buy the eye/controller separately

But wasn't it was selling out like crazy prior to launch?

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#5 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Sony’s silence on PlayStation VR could spell trouble for the fledgling market

01/19/2017

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/242992-sonys-silence-playstation-vr-spell-trouble-fledgling-market

A few months ago, Sony launched the PlayStation VR after several years of work. Early reviews were generally positive, though they carried the caveats common to all VR today — the various experiences have some great moments, but a true killer app has yet to emerge. Since then, Sony has gone quiet about the platform, despite being happy to talk about total PS4 shipments through the holiday season or various other aspects of its gaming sales.

First up, there’s the recent closure of Guerilla Cambridge, a game development studio that created what’s been hailed as one of the PSVR’s best initial titles — the mech battlegame Rigs. The main studio, Guerilla Games in Amsterdam, won’t be affected, but Guerilla Cambridge had been in operation for 19 years — hardly a fly-by-night. Sony has stated that Rigs will be left online, but there won’t be any new DLC or support for the title going forward.

Next, there’s early evidence that the PSVR’s sales figures may not have been to the company’s liking. There was little mention of VR or upcoming VR titles at the PlayStation Experience last month, and Sony’s Kaz Hirai has refused to give concrete figures, saying: “We’ve always said it’s going to be a slow start, unfortunately, we did produce a lot of units but we ran out of stock in some retailers, but I think based on reports coming out of the holiday season, we’re actually happy with the numbers. One of the reasons we’re not talking about the numbers so much is because we don’t want the numbers to take a life of their own.”

Independent tracking firm SuperData Research has revised their estimate of PSVR sales to 750,000, down from 2.6 million, though that initial figure was extremely optimistic, for reasons we’ll explain below.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Its been dead. It hasnt even sold more than Virtual Boy.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Not dead, just out of stock:

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/accessories/playstationvr/

If you look at the history, they quickly go out of stock when they're restocked. There is demand, but maybe not enough supply?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 iandizion713

@Zero_epyon: There is zero demand. People dont even care it goes out of stock, nobody wants it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zero_epyon

@iandizion713 said:

@Zero_epyon: There is zero demand. People dont even care it goes out of stock, nobody wants it.

Then it should be in stock then?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Pedro:

Can't find any in my area besides the demo units. Now I have zero interest in the thing, but I wast quite shocked that literally the 3 biggest stores near me didn't have any more units. Obviously I have no idea how many units they had to sell in the first place (could have been like 10, per store for example, I honestly don't know). Super anecdotal of course, but I feel like Sony may have actually undershipped the thing in certain regions.

As a direct contrast, the Vita always had units on display because it didn't actually sell that well.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

At least with the Vive and Rift we still have fans who will produce content or find new ways to use the technology.

Give it another 5 years or so before it really takes off.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iandizion713

@Zero_epyon said:
@iandizion713 said:

Why? Why should Sony keep it well stocked if there is no demand? Stores dont even want PSVR. Im willing to bet NES Classic Mini is selling more than PSVR.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50

@Pedro: bundles sold out, but SONY only supplied a limited quanity at launch.

None since

Stand alone VRs were collecting dust at my store for the longest time.

Seasonal is over so no idea what stocks are these days.

Regardless, it flopped pretty bad, i fully expect cowjengga and quackknight to avoid this thread.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I don't know about for others but I'm not buying it at $400. That doesn't make it dead. It's simply overly expensive.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zero_epyon

@iandizion713 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@iandizion713 said:

Why? Why should Sony keep it well stocked if there is no demand? Stores dont even want PSVR. Im willing to bet NES Classic Mini is selling more than PSVR.

lol you're trying too hard...

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Pedro said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

It flopped so hard.

But wasn't it was selling out like crazy prior to launch?

Nope.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#17 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

The thing with VR is we are all still figuring it out. The technology is evolving and developers are figuring out how to best use the tech to create compelling experiences. I can't relate to why people are so anxious to call it a failure or success. Give it time. It is amazing technology. Prices will come down, the technology will get better, and the content will get better. Chill.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Most people thought this would flop hardcore. I'm not buying that crap for my Pro.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Pedro said:

I haven't heard much about the PSVR since the hype

In case you haven't heard, yet. PSVR is in such high demand that at least the Malaysian launch had to be rolled back and Sony is stepping up production as stated in this interview with Jim Ryan.

"We know from the data we have from pre-orders that the interest we have is significant," Ryan said in a TV interview, adding that at launch, sales will be in the "many hundreds of thousands".

PlayStation VR could sell around 2.6 million units this year, according to SuperData research. Sony is a strong position given that it already has an install base of over 40 million PlayStation 4 consoles, so even a small take-up of the VR headset could bring in additional revenues for the gaming unit.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/13/playstation-vr-goes-on-sale-as-sony-bets-the-headset-will-continue-momentum-for-the-ps4.html

Yeah, you read that right, by the end of December, there will be over 2.5 million of these in people's homes. Haters am cry.

----

Update: Tony Bartel, Gamestop's COO, mentions that headsets are selling out all over the country and is working with Sony to restock stores to meet "tremendous demand". His words, not Sony's. . .

More haters am cry!

Does anyone still care about the PSVR?

MALAYSIA DOES!!!!! PENANG, BABY!!!

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bread_or_Decide

@Zero_epyon said:
@iandizion713 said:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/playstation-vr/129497

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

Yeah dead, along with Vive and Oculus. VR is a cute gimmick and even I have had some fun with Samsung Gear VR but the thrill doesn't last very long. Not to mention it excludes lots of people with motion sickness issues etc.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50

I feel like SONY should've just released bundles and that's it.. no idea why they made the VR/Eye/Move separately, that's such a dumb move.

in my short time in retail I also saw a few of them get returned, some were turned away (hygienic reason, once opened)

The PS4 PRO also flopped (only about 10% sold).

Sony should've just kept the PS4 and their game line up, and they could've used that money elsewhere, instead of investing in these flops.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

It was never really alive to begin with

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@iandizion713 said:

Im willing to bet NES Classic Mini is selling more than PSVR.

Great comparison. The NES Mini can be bought from pocket change. I'm willing to bet that bubble gums are selling more than Ferraris. You are truly the Donald Trump of this forum. Congrats.

Anyway, I'm still interested in getting that thing and like written in another thread there are more than a dozen games coming up this year that I'm keeping my eyes on (so like 6 times more than interesting Switch games).

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

I feel like SONY should've just released bundles and that's it.. no idea why they made the VR/Eye/Move separately, that's such a dumb move.

Because if you already owned an Eye+move you could save money by not buying the bundle...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zero_epyon
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@iandizion713 said:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/playstation-vr/129497

Exactly.

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/accessories/playstationvr/

Just about the only place you can get the base one at the moment

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FLOPPAGE_50

@xantufrog said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Because if you already owned an Eye+move you could save money by not buying the bundle...

But then.. support that bundle, which they didn't.

After launch, it was never seen or heard from again, but there were plenty of stand alone VR headsets.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xantufrog  Moderator

@FLOPPAGE_50: why would you buy the bundle if you could get just the headset thanks to already owning the other parts? It's not a charity - us consumers BENEFIT from the option to either get a bundle or a la carte

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kvally

Not only did it flop hard but it flopped worse than Kinect lol

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bread_or_Decide

@jtothamtothap said:

Yeah dead, along with Vive and Oculus. VR is a cute gimmick and even I have had some fun with Samsung Gear VR but the thrill doesn't last very long. Not to mention it excludes lots of people with motion sickness issues etc.

The thing about gimmicks is...they should be affordable.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FLOPPAGE_50

@xantufrog said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: why would you buy the bundle if you could get just the headset thanks to already owning the other parts? It's not a charity - us consumers BENEFIT from the option to either get a bundle or a la carte

You don't get it.

After the intial bundle ran out, SONY DID NOT SUPPORT IT OR RESTOCKED IT.

up keeping that would've been smart, because it would give the consumer 2 options.

instead, they never restocked the bundle from launch, and stuck with the stand alone headset. (which buying separately is more expensive)

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

All of us apart from the hardcore cow knew it would flop.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xantufrog  Moderator

@FLOPPAGE_50: oh I thought you were saying we consumers should support the bundle even if we don't need it. I was like "why..."

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#35 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

If it wasnt a flop Sony would be making damn sure we all know it by gloating about sales numbers. When i didnt see a single mention of it at PSX last year I had a feeling it would soon be going the way of every Sony peripheral ever: abandoned.

Dont think Vive and Rift are far behind either. No one i know talks about them anymore

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Never had any interest in VR, always thought it would be another fad so I'm not surprised the hype has died down. Maybe if they release some more big name titles for it then it will pick up again but for right now, I see it as a thing people found interesting for 6 months and now the interest is gone.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

VR is a small niche product, meant for a small group of people. The technology is not compelling. The price is extremely high.

This amount of success is the most we could have hoped for.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

No its still sold out everywhere. You know what is dead though? Kinect. Lionhead. Scalebound.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Weird timing, now that RE7 is probably the best VR game and PsVR finally supports 360 Youtube videos. Oh and DoA X3 got an VR patch, that will bring some people to it as well :P

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

At least with the Vive and Rift we still have fans who will produce content or find new ways to use the technology.

Give it another 5 years or so before it really takes off.

Additionally, the price for VR in general inhibits people from even trying it. Oculus and PSVR are basically super premium. In a few years, perhaps it will be easier to produce and less expensive.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Along with Evolution studio's, Guerrilla Cambridge, Agent, Tupac, Biggie, J.F.K.

The list goes on and on.

Funny thing is I hear Guerrilla Cambridge made one of the better VR games and they still go closed, not a good look.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#42 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@kvally said:

Sony’s silence on PlayStation VR could spell trouble for the fledgling market

01/19/2017

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/242992-sonys-silence-playstation-vr-spell-trouble-fledgling-market

A few months ago, Sony launched the PlayStation VR after several years of work. Early reviews were generally positive, though they carried the caveats common to all VR today — the various experiences have some great moments, but a true killer app has yet to emerge. Since then, Sony has gone quiet about the platform, despite being happy to talk about total PS4 shipments through the holiday season or various other aspects of its gaming sales.

First up, there’s the recent closure of Guerilla Cambridge, a game development studio that created what’s been hailed as one of the PSVR’s best initial titles — the mech battlegame Rigs. The main studio, Guerilla Games in Amsterdam, won’t be affected, but Guerilla Cambridge had been in operation for 19 years — hardly a fly-by-night. Sony has stated that Rigs will be left online, but there won’t be any new DLC or support for the title going forward.

Next, there’s early evidence that the PSVR’s sales figures may not have been to the company’s liking. There was little mention of VR or upcoming VR titles at the PlayStation Experience last month, and Sony’s Kaz Hirai has refused to give concrete figures, saying: “We’ve always said it’s going to be a slow start, unfortunately, we did produce a lot of units but we ran out of stock in some retailers, but I think based on reports coming out of the holiday season, we’re actually happy with the numbers. One of the reasons we’re not talking about the numbers so much is because we don’t want the numbers to take a life of their own.”

Independent tracking firm SuperData Research has revised their estimate of PSVR sales to 750,000, down from 2.6 million, though that initial figure was extremely optimistic, for reasons we’ll explain below.

No surprise here. Japanese claimed to be friends for decades, but then bombed Pearl Harbor. Lies, buddy............................yellow bellied lies

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kvally

@svaubel said:

If it wasnt a flop Sony would be making damn sure we all know it by gloating about sales numbers.

It's funny you say that. When MS says it's not about the numbers, Sony fans go in some rage. But then when Sony says the same thing about the PSVR:

"One of the reasons we’re not talking about the numbers so much is because we don’t want the numbers to take a life of their own"

It's ok. LOL, fucking double standards. That is some good shit right there.

The ClosedStation, PS Pro, PSVR are all a waste now.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Hope so. With the recent 5+ high scoring PS4 exclusives released, it shows VR isnt needed.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iandizion713

@nethernova said:
@iandizion713 said:

Im willing to bet NES Classic Mini is selling more than PSVR.

Great comparison. The NES Mini can be bought from pocket change. I'm willing to bet that bubble gums are selling more than Ferraris. You are truly the Donald Trump of this forum. Congrats.

Anyway, I'm still interested in getting that thing and like written in another thread there are more than a dozen games coming up this year that I'm keeping my eyes on (so like 6 times more than interesting Switch games).

I was using it to compare how both were sold out yet people were treating to burn down Nintendo if they didnt restock. And how VR was expected to sell so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

This falls safely under the category of "we cannot know the answer because there is no proof". One thing is for sure, though, the thing is hard to find. Especially if you want the whole bundle (camera, controllers, headset). Amazon is like permanently sold out, and where I live (east coast US) it is virtually impossible to find in stores outside of a random headset here and there, which no one buys because everyone needs the bundle. That either means the demand is through the roof, or Sony is keeping the stock down. Again, no proof either way. Time will tell, I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Meanwhile, in Japan.

http://kotaku.com/today-in-japan-hundreds-of-people-lined-up-for-play-1791646092

From the article: "Wait, what? Isn’t PSVR already out in Japan? You bet it is. And yet, this morning, there were long lines at retailers across the country.

The reason being that a new shipment of PSVR headsets hit Japanese shops today. Demand was so high at some locations that people had to line up for a chance to buy."

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

on the 2nd of February there's an earnings call from Sony, we might hear something then

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Yup, had to buy the headset and camera separately (got a job, no kids and I don't need to feed my GF), just recently got the dil... move controllers, haven't tried them yet (used, PS3 models with the old USB port). Re7 is really fun with it. I wish they don't give up on it just yet.

The screen is low res, no high end VR by a long shot, but IMO this device has potential.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#50 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

You know it's a flop because the biggest cows here aren't here defending it. Cows only talk shit when they think they Have a sure bet.

If theres a smidge of doubt you dont hear a peep from them. The only ones talking are ones that said it would be a flop from the beginning.

Just like how they don't hype games but then brag about them after they get scored.