Is the era of blockbuster exclusives over?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

There may be exclusives nowadays, but there are fewer and fewer of them. Uncharted series is one of the last of them for sure. With so many different platforms now, is this a dying breed? I ask you SW since you guys are very smart.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

I'll say this, console exclusives matter to me since I don't have a gaming PC. Also Wii U has a lot of good exclusives. Nintendo is the last one to come out with multiple exclusives, but most are just good at best. And they lack a good online infrastructure and 3rd party games.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

Exclusives are becoming less and less important, multi-platform games have never held this much relevance and are the most important type of game in the sector now.

This isn't the PlayStation era where a good 80% of the games were exclusive, we're at more of the 5%-8% range now.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Not as long as the 3 Kings Nintendo, Blizzard and Valve are around.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Uncharted 4, TLOU 2, and GOW4, GT Sport, Detroit, and Horizon disagree.

Blockbuster exclusives are definitely over for M$ after the flop that was Floplo 5 though.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

Not as long as the 3 Kings Nintendo, Blizzard and Valve are around.

Blizzard and Valve still make exclusives? Well I get those F2P games like Doto 2 and HotS wouldn't work too well, but aside from StarCraft 2 pretty much everything Blizzard and Valve have done is on at least two different platforms.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iandizion713

@walloftruth: WoW? Team Fortress 2? Counter Strike? But yeah, Hots and Dota 2 are awesome new exclusives.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@walloftruth: WoW? Team Fortress 2? Counter Strike? But yeah, Hots and Dota 2 are awesome new exclusives.

Oh yeah I forgot WoW, TF2 is on Xbox 360 and there's a CS1.6/CS:CZ port on the OG Xbox, CS:S is exclusive, CS:GO is on 360 and PS3.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iandizion713

@walloftruth: O dang, i forgot Counter Strike and Team Fortress did come to consoles for awhile. Thats about all the good ones until something else releases.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dynamitecop

@quadknight said:

Blockbuster exclusives are definitely over for M$ after the flop that was Floplo 5 though.

Oh, so Detroit and Horizon are blockbusters now are they? Like I said, you're a self-contradicting opportunist... Hell, I wasn't even calling them "blockbusters", I just said big releases, this is a step up from that...

Way to get rekt by yourself and your total lack consistency, what a joke hahahaha...

inb4 the back peddle

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

There may be exclusives nowadays, but there are fewer and fewer of them. Uncharted series is one of the last of them for sure. With so many different platforms now, is this a dying breed? I ask you SW since you guys are very smart.

Lol what?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Nope, they come out on a regular basis every year. Even games like Fifa, Madden, COD and BF can be considered Blockbusters because of the time and more importantly the budget put into the game and advertising.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@walloftruth said:
@iandizion713 said:

Oh yeah I forgot WoW, TF2 is on Xbox 360 and there's a CS1.6/CS:CZ port on the OG Xbox, CS:S is exclusive, CS:GO is on 360 and PS3.

Yeah, but TF2 on PC evolved so much it is barely comparable to the 360 version. The PC version has more new content and changes over the 360 version than most game sequels do.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dynamitecop

@ferret-gamer said:
@walloftruth said:
@iandizion713 said:

Yeah, but TF2 on PC evolved so much it is barely comparable to the 360 version. The PC version has more new content and changes over the 360 version than most game sequels do.

It's the same case for the version of GO on PC, the console versions didn't get any post release updates while the PC version has literally had hundreds.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By QuadKnight

@dynamitecop said:
@quadknight said:

Oh, so Detroit and Horizon are blockbusters now are they? Like I said, you're a self-contradicting opportunist... Hell, I wasn't even calling them "blockbusters", I just said big releases, this is a step up from that...

Way to get rekt by yourself and your total lack consistency, what a joke hahahaha...

inb4 the back peddle

Sony is definitely hoping they are, you clown, by pumping money into them. Whether they end up selling is a different matter. I don't know if they will be big games but they are definitely blockbusters if you go by how much money Sony is spending on them. I see reading comprehension is a problem for you lol. I can also see you don't know the definition of a blockbuster. A game or movie can be a blockbuster and still flop in sales.

You rekt yourself by not knowing how to read lol.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@quadknight said:

Sucker Punch and Bend are working on big projects as well. Also The Last Guardian.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 QuadKnight

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@quadknight said:

Sucker Punch and Bend are working on big projects as well. Also The Last Guardian.

Yep, I forgot those too. Thanks for mentioning that.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Nope...Uncharted 4 comes soon.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dynamitecop

@quadknight said:
@dynamitecop said:
@quadknight said:

inb4 the back peddle

Sony is definitely hoping they are, you clown, by pumping money into them. Whether they end up selling is a different matter. I don't know if they will be big games but they are definitely blockbusters if you go by how much money Sony is spending on them. I see reading comprehension is a problem for you lol. I can also see you don't know the definition of a blockbuster. A game or movie can be a blockbuster and still flop.

Don't try to spin this, it's right there in black and white, you completely contradicted yourself for the sake of position in another argument, there's no consistency to anything you say and you're an opportunist.

You dug your own grave pal, sit in it.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

The era of good blockbuster exclusives is over.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By QuadKnight

@dynamitecop said:
@quadknight said:
@dynamitecop said:
@quadknight said:

inb4 the back peddle

Sony is definitely hoping they are, you clown, by pumping money into them. Whether they end up selling is a different matter. I don't know if they will be big games but they are definitely blockbusters if you go by how much money Sony is spending on them. I see reading comprehension is a problem for you lol. I can also see you don't know the definition of a blockbuster. A game or movie can be a blockbuster and still flop.

Don't try to spin this, it's right there in black and white, you completely contradicted yourself for the sake of position in another argument, there's no consistency to anything you say and you're an opportunist.

You dug your own grave. I never said the games were going to sell big.

OP asked whether the era of blockbuster games was over and he meant spending big money to release exclusive games. Horizon, Detroit, etc. are obviously blockbusters by that definition. Not my problem you can't tell the difference between a AAA game in terms of money spent creating and a AAA game that has sold millions and is big enough to sustain a franchise. Not every AAA game goes on to sell big numbers but by your idiotic definition of a "big game" you expect every game that has millions spent on it to pull big numbers. You are dumb as bricks if you think games like Crackdown are going to be multimillion big sellers. Learn to read before you try to "rek" anyone on the internet with your poor comprehensions skills.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dynamitecop

@quadknight said:
@dynamitecop said:
@quadknight said:
@dynamitecop said:

inb4 the back peddle

You dug your own grave. I never said the games were going to sell big.

OP asked whether the era of blockbuster games was over and he meant spending big money to release exclusive games. Horizon, Detroit, etc. are obviously blockbusters by that definition. Not my problem you can't tell the difference between a AAA game and AAA game that has sold millions and is big enough to sustain a franchise. You are dumb as bricks if you think games like Crackdown are going to bemultimillion big sellers. Learn to read before you try to "rek" anyone on the internet with your poor comprehensions skills.

I'm not interested, good day.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 QuadKnight

@dynamitecop said:

I'm not interested, good day.

Of course you're not interested when you own yourself. Good day to you too.