Is the cell a myth

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 alexmurray
Member since 2005 • 2665 Posts
I was wondering how many people think the PS3's cell is as good as sony says and if it is that good why dont we see its preformce. I agree that the Ps3 is a great console but is the cell a lie????
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
How can something be a myth if it exist?
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

Yup, it's a lie.

If you take the PS3 apart it's just a gerbil on a wheel.

alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 alexmurray

How can something be a myth if it exist?Ragnarok1051

I was asking do you think it is as good as sony says

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

I was wondering how many people think the PS3's cell is as good as sony says and if it is that good why dont we see its preformce. I agree that the Ps3 is a great console but is the cell a lie????alexmurray

A piece of hardware doesnt make good games, the developers do and the Cell is being used by companies to compute so it does work well, now have devs figured how to take advantage of it, probably not yet. Its simliar to the PS2 and the DVD player, the first few PS2 games were on CD and when they mastered the PS2 games got bigger and couldnt fit on a CD so they went to DVD, then dual layered DVD, then DVD9.

alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 alexmurray

[QUOTE="alexmurray"]I was wondering how many people think the PS3's cell is as good as sony says and if it is that good why dont we see its preformce. I agree that the Ps3 is a great console but is the cell a lie????Javy03

A piece of hardware doesnt make good games, the developers do and the Cell is being used by companies to compute so it does work well, now have devs figured how to take advantage of it, probably not yet. Its simliar to the PS2 and the DVD player, the first few PS2 games were on CD and when they mastered the PS2 games got bigger and couldnt fit on a CD so they went to DVD, then dual layered DVD, then DVD9.

Graphics dont make good games

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
[QUOTE="Javy03"]

[QUOTE="alexmurray"]I was wondering how many people think the PS3's cell is as good as sony says and if it is that good why dont we see its preformce. I agree that the Ps3 is a great console but is the cell a lie????alexmurray

I didn't see where he said graphics.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
[QUOTE="Javy03"]

[QUOTE="alexmurray"]I was wondering how many people think the PS3's cell is as good as sony says and if it is that good why dont we see its preformce. I agree that the Ps3 is a great console but is the cell a lie????alexmurray

Where did I say that????

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
[QUOTE="Javy03"]

Nor does the word "graphics" appear in his post...

bushidotu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bushidotu
Member since 2006 • 1495 Posts
its not myth its an urban legend
Fart_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fart_Storm
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts

I was wondering how many people think the PS3's cell is as good as sony says and if it is that good why dont we see its preformce. I agree that the Ps3 is a great console but is the cell a lie????alexmurray

This is a topic that I know a lot about. Yes, the Cell is as good as Sony says. Perhaps much, much better than even they imagined. It has 7 separate SPUs that are capable of handling unbelieveable amounts of data and processing. With these SPUs and cores they can run things like graphics, physics, etc, making them as life-like as possible. Once the data is output by the cell, the rest of the processors take over and the result is what you see on the screen.

When lazy devs finally learn how to unlock the power of the Cell (using tools like EDGE development software, firmware updates, etc), you will see some amazing changes that will leave the 360 in the dust, power-wise. Plan on seeing the beginning of these changes either this year or next, but rest assured that the PS3 is here to stay. And the Cell is a major part of that lasting influence on the world.

Thus, the Cell is certainly not a lie. Ney, it is a revolution.

alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 alexmurray
I dont know why I quoted him I was just making a statement
alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alexmurray

[QUOTE="alexmurray"]I was wondering how many people think the PS3's cell is as good as sony says and if it is that good why dont we see its preformce. I agree that the Ps3 is a great console but is the cell a lie????Fart_Storm

This is a topic that I know a lot about. Yes, the Cell is as good as Sony says. Perhaps much, much better than even they imagined. It has 7 separate SPUs that are capable of handling unbelieveable amounts of data and processing. With these SPUs and cores they can run things like graphics, physics, etc, making them as life-like as possible. Once the data is output by the cell, the rest of the processors take over and the result is what you see on the screen.

When lazy devs finally learn how to unlock the power of the Cell (using tools like EDGE development software, firmware updates, etc), you will see some amazing changes that will leave the 360 in the dust, power-wise. Plan on seeing the beginning of these changes either this year or next, but rest assured that the PS3 is here to stay. And the Cell is a major part of that lasting influence on the world.

Developers arnt lazy, they are just out to make money, more expenses means less profits

GabeNewellsPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GabeNewellsPie
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]How can something be a myth if it exist?alexmurray

I was asking do you think it is as good as sony says

No,its just like that Emotion Engine BS with the PS2.

Its a good CPU no doubt,but a fraction of what was promised and hyped to be.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
It's no more special than any other CPU out there today. Sony just gave it a fancy name, like the Emotion Engine. Heck, when they first announced the PS3's specs, fanboys used to say the 360 was bad "because it doesnt have a cell." It goes to show how easily you can influence people just by using fancy names.
Avatar image for justforlotr2004
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 justforlotr2004
Member since 2004 • 10935 Posts
The Cell will be good for future sytem's, but right now the PS3 is limited due to other component's.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
Itis partly overhyped, especially by a certain user. But it does have lots of potential with the EDGE programming tools.
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
People voted yes :?
alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 alexmurray

People voted yes :?Brainkiller05

yea most people did

Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bubblehash
Member since 2004 • 2914 Posts
Is the cell a myth alexmurray
Seeing you clearly have no clue what the word "myth" means, I was nice enough to provide a link so you can learn the meaning. ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth
Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bubblehash

Yup, it's a lie.

If you take the PS3 apart it's just a gerbil on a wheel.

RotaryRX7
HAHA That's pretty funny. I can picture it now. My gerbil comes up missing. I take my PS3 apart and am like "Oh damn, so there you are". :lol::lol:
alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 alexmurray

[QUOTE="alexmurray"]Is the cell a myth Bubblehash
Seeing you clearly have no clue what the word "myth" means, I was nice enough to provide a link so you can learn the meaning. ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth

did you read the popular use section :?

johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts
i think its overrated by some people
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
So what are you saying is a myth?, the question is "is the cell a myth" and clearly it's not, since it's pretty obvious the cell exists... so then you twist it to "is it a myth that it is good?", no, benchmarks prove it's good.
Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bubblehash

Did you read the popular use section :?

alexmurray
You asked if the Cell is a myth. No it is not. And anybody with a clue knows this. It is what runs the PS3.
alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 alexmurray
[QUOTE="alexmurray"]

Bubblehash

You asked if the Cell is a myth. No it is not. And anybody with a clue knows this. It is what runs the PS3.

I was asking if you think sony and some members on SW overrate it

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

[QUOTE="alexmurray"]I was wondering how many people think the PS3's cell is as good as sony says and if it is that good why dont we see its preformce. I agree that the Ps3 is a great console but is the cell a lie????Fart_Storm

so do u know of the bottleneck the spu( u call them or SPE as i call them) have on the main core? You do know the main core has to send all data to the spu's to control them right? the ps3 verison of the cell is inferior to an actual cell processor used in servers because of the huge bottleneck that occures do to sony slimming the cost down on the ps3 verison of the cell.
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Although it doesn't seem like it now, I believe the cell is as powerful as Sony says. It will probably take a while, and if it doesn't turn out as strong as sony says, I still won't be dissappointed, because I love to play games. Uncharted takes the cake as my favorite game right now.

It would be better to judge it at the end of this generation.

And, the cell can't be a myth, it exsists.

Edit: But yeah, I think its a little overrated with some of Sonys claims.

The only thing I have seen do 120 Frames Per Second is the PSEye.

alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 alexmurray

Although it doesn't seem like it now, I believe the cell is as powerful as Sony says. It will probably take a while, and if it doesn't turn out as strong as sony says, I still won't be dissappointed, because I love to play games. Uncharted takes the cake as my favorite game right now.

verbtex

Its halfway thru this generation and still no result and I dont expect a result for the next half

Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bubblehash
[QUOTE="Bubblehash"][QUOTE="alexmurray"]

alexmurray

It is SW which is full of fanboys, so what do you expect? All I can say is I am interested in seeing what they can do with it in the next year. The devs are just starting to get a handle on deving for it, so things can only get better from here. The just released this new tool as well, which will also help a lot. http://www.vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=3631a5a1&atype=news&id=24377
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 verbtex  Moderator
[QUOTE="verbtex"]

alexmurray

Its halfway thru this generation and still no result and I dont expect a result for the next half

Well...how long did it take the PS2 to reach its full potential?

The PS3 is reaching its 2 year birthday. I didn't know that gens were only 4 years long.

If you consider the release of the DS as the start, that would have been 4 years ago.

The shortest gaming gen was the first generation. It was 5 years long and lasted from 1972 to 1977.

alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 alexmurray
[QUOTE="alexmurray"][QUOTE="Bubblehash"][QUOTE="alexmurray"]

Bubblehash

It is SW which is full of fanboys, so what do you expect? All I can say is I am interested in seeing what they can do with it in the next year. The devs are just starting to get a handle on deving for it, so things can only get better from here. The just released this new tool as well, which will also help a lot. http://www.vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=3631a5a1&atype=news&id=24377

IMHO

I think its too little too late, by the time the PS3's graphics get noticeably better there will be the new consoles

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
Anybody remember Blast Processing during the 16-bit wars? The Cell is this generation's version of that. Not to say the PS3 isn't powerful, but a buzz-word (AKA Emotion Engine) can be made to backup fanboys in arguments about hardware.
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 verbtex  Moderator
[QUOTE="alexmurray"][QUOTE="Bubblehash"][QUOTE="alexmurray"]

Bubblehash

Excuse me for not being a technological genius...but does that mean we ill have to buy a new console to take advantage of this helpful tool?

Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bubblehash
[QUOTE="Bubblehash"][QUOTE="alexmurray"][QUOTE="Bubblehash"][QUOTE="alexmurray"]

alexmurray

IMHO

I think its too little too late, by the time the PS3's graphics get noticeably better there will be the new consoles

I don't see a new console releasing for at least 4 more years, and I see the PS3 getting better way before that. I can't wait to see what we have for 2009 that hasn't even been talked about yet. Did you even bother to read the link? I believe that tool alone will make a big enough difference for us to notice. But I guess we will have to wait and see in the future with what it can actually do. And it is never to late. The PS3 is already on par with the 360. I could see you saying "it's too late" if the PS3 was still trying to catch up to the 360, but it isn't. It's games already look just as good or better (Un charted and Ratchet & Clank come to mind ;) ) than 360 games. So if it is "too late", then what does that say about the 360? Guess it must be "too late" for it as well.Hell asking "is it too late for 360 because of RRoD?" (as fanboyism as it is), would make more sense that what you asked. The PS3 is already on par with the 360 power wise while the 360 is not on par with the PS3 reliability wise. No I am not trying to be a fanboy, but seeing the PS3 is already showing it's power to be just as strong as the 360. And this is still with devs not fully understanding the Cell, I don't really understand why you asked what you asked. I guess another more simpler way of putting it is we will just have to wait and continue to watch and see what the Cell can do. But with devs having issues deving for it and games already looking this good, I can only imagine what else it can do. But to be honest, I have no clue what Sony has said about the Cell. I never read that mumbo jumbo anyways. I only care about the end results, which are the games. So I don't know if they over hyped it or not. But as far as posters here, I only see fanboys over hyping it. Fanboys over hype everything (or under hype it if not on their system).
alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 alexmurray
[QUOTE="alexmurray"][QUOTE="Bubblehash"][QUOTE="alexmurray"][QUOTE="Bubblehash"][QUOTE="alexmurray"]

Bubblehash

IMHO

I don't see a new console releasing for at least 4 more years, and I see the PS3 getting better way before that. I can't wait to see what we have for 2009 that hasn't even been talked about yet. Did you even bother to read the link? I believe that tool alone will make a big enough difference for us to notice. But I guess we will have to wait and see in the future with what it can actually do. And it is never to late. The PS3 is already on par with the 360. I could see you saying "it's too late" if the PS3 was still trying to catch up to the 360, but it isn't. It's games already look just as good or better (Un charted and Ratchet & Clank come to mind ;) ) than 360 games. So if it is "too late", then what does that say about the 360? Guess it must be "too late" for it as well.Hell asking "is it too late for 360 because of RRoD?" (as fanboyism as it is), would make more sense that what you asked. The PS3 is already on par with the 360 power wise while the 360 is not on par with the PS3 reliability wise. No I am not trying to be a fanboy, but seeing the PS3 is already showing it's power to be just as strong as the 360. And this is still with devs not fully understanding the Cell, I don't really understand why you asked what you asked. I guess another more simpler way of putting it is we will just have to wait and continue to watch and see what the Cell can do. But with devs having issues deving for it and games already looking this good, I can only imagine what else it can do. But to be honest, I have no clue what Sony has said about the Cell. I never read that mumbo jumbo anyways. I only care about the end results, which are the games. So I don't know if they over hyped it or not. But as far as posters here, I only see fanboys over hyping it. Fanboys over hype everything (or under hype it if not on their system).

The ps3s graphics will get better but so will the 360s and if the PS3s graphics become tons better it will be too late and the PS4 will come out

Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bubblehash
[QUOTE="Bubblehash"][QUOTE="alexmurray"][QUOTE="Bubblehash"][QUOTE="alexmurray"]

alexmurray

IMHO

The ps3s graphics will get better but so will the 360s and if the PS3s graphics become tons better it will be too late and the PS4 will come out

Again, I think you are over wishing here. I don't see the next PS releasing anytime soon. But on the otherhand. The graphics of the PS3 are already getting better and better. So how you think it is too late is beyond me. Not unless you are letting the fanboy in you take over. The PS3 is constantly out selling the 360 and already has graphics that are at least on par with the 360 (personnally I think better, but that's me). So again, if it is too late for the PS3, then it is too late for the 360.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts
Yup, the Cell Processer is a myth. Apparently Blu-ray makes it so the PS3 doesn't need a CPU....
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 verbtex  Moderator

Yup, the Cell Processer is a myth. Apparently Blu-ray makes it so the PS3 doesn't need a CPU....Storm_Marine

I can't tell if you were joking...or are seriously that uneducated about the PS3.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

I had a similar discussion over here; which strangely enough considering I was criticising Cell didn't get much PS3 user interest.

I think the performance Sony is boasting for the Cell processor is greatly exaggerated, there is a lot of theoretical performance but we have seen little to none of it after all this time; something PS3 users are quick to find excuses for (e.g. difficult to tap, 10 year life-cycle).

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]Yup, the Cell Processer is a myth. Apparently Blu-ray makes it so the PS3 doesn't need a CPU....verbtex

I can't tell if you were joking...or are seriously that uneducated about the PS3.

I would never joke on the Internet. It's serious business.

i was joking

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts
The full cell chip is great for servers. Sony IBM and Toshiba did NOT invent the cell for the PS3. The PS3 has a watered down version that of course has never been used for gaming purposes before. It is unproven and not geared for games. It needs work arounds just like Blu-Ray. Krazy Ken once mentioned that the PS3 was suppose to have two cells (one as the gpu) But that they could not get it to work properly. So in comes whatever they could get from nvidia.
stepat201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 stepat201
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

Yet a simple Q6600 outperforms it.

chrissp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 chrissp7
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

It is not overhyped by sony. It's overhyped by users on boards like this.

Whenever sony talks about the cell it is usually when they are demo-ing(sp?) a game or something and they say something like, "the cell allows us to do this" and obviously it does because they are showing it to you.

Even when they say future games will perform even better is true because, duh, games improve over time. So I don't think the big "95% untapped powah!" thing is true but Sony never says anything like that.

And of course they say it performs better than 360, it would be odd if they advertised the ps3 by saying "buy it, it's on par with competitors!"

Not a sony myth. A SW Myth

sneslover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sneslover
Member since 2005 • 957 Posts
Cell is like Sega Genesis' blast processing: Real but bull$hit non the less
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
no its real
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Yet a simple Q6600 outperforms it.

stepat201

Well in folding@Home and several different applications multicore processors are better in at least, though isn't it strange how FS can say so much without actually saying anything? He claims to know allot about Cell; but says nothing that any other fanboy couldn't say.