Is the Call of Duty franchise getting stale?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by regnaston (349 posts) 4 years, 2 months ago

Poll: Is the Call of Duty franchise getting stale? (56 votes)

Yes 86%
No 7%
Kinda 7%

Does anyone here find that the COD franchise is getting stale?

I personally have found no vast improvements in the Multiplayer game play in recent releases. With Ghosts I am kinda bored of the game already, and while new maps are coming out Tuesday which may help a bit.. it wont be long until it becomes stale again

#1 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Its been stale for some time now, like been years

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#2 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12859 posts) -

Is this a serious question? It's been stale for years.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#3 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Nope, as fresh as ever. Did you not even play ghosts?

#4 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

wtf it's been stale. Since mw2. It's disgusting that ghosts sold so well on ps4/x1.

#5 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (15607 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Its been stale for some time now, like been years

Lol, yeah... It's not getting stale, it's been stale for years.

#6 Edited by Elpresador-911 (1034 posts) -

Yeah, ghosts fucking sucks, that shitty degen game killed my desire to even play videogames

#7 Posted by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -

its been stale for a long time now it's doing surprisingly well for how mediocre it is

#8 Edited by uninspiredcup (26107 posts) -

My friend, the secret sauce in Call Of Duty, is that it requires no skill or learning curve. It is very much like MMO's. MMO's sprinkle the player with rewards to encourage them to play. Likewise, in Call Of Duty, no matter what the player does, they are rewarded in as many ways as possible. To that effect, no, doubtful. People like a sense of reward, it's a very basic but powerful response.

#9 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

stale, not really. People just waking up to their bullshit.

They could do so much better with the series if they actually spend the money by giving the devs more time

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (97010 posts) -

Getting?

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (26107 posts) -

@k2theswiss said:

They could do so much better with the series if they actually spend the money by giving the devs more time

My friend, they really couldn't. The reason Call Of Duty sells is because of a specific formula. The single player is something anyone can play. The multiplayer is something anyone can play. Change that, it's simply not Call Of Duty.

#12 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@k2theswiss said:

My friend, they really couldn't. The reason Call Of Duty sells is because of a specific formula. The single player is something anyone can play. The multiplayer is something anyone can play. Change that, it's simply not Call Of Duty.

oo yes they could without changing the game formula

• better storyline
  • more maps
  • more testing before release
#13 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Nope, as fresh as ever. Did you not even play ghosts?

unfortunately yes

#14 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

Call of Duty got stale years ago TC, YEARS AGO.

I've been with them since COD1...it got rejuvenated by 2007's COD4:MW1 and 2009's COD6:MW2 was pushing it. It's been done for me and mine for over 5 years now.

I don't bother buying Activision games anymore either, and Infinity Ward, the creators of COD and MW are gone. What's left at Activision is a shell company with an IW logo.

#16 Edited by BigBadBully (1735 posts) -

It's stale but the formula and brand will keep it going. For me, its just a fun game to pick up and play in short bursts. Also, the simplicity of the game is appealing (why I think the series will always sell well). Short simple games of 9 vs 9 (6 vs 6) where any one game you can dominate. I haven't played ghosts in months but I could go on tomorrow and be decent, plus have a good time.

For Call of Duty to get out from being stale, they need to add more game modes that are more varied and have depth(besides running and holdin a flag, killing someone and taking a dog tag). They need modes like socom gave us back on the ps2. They also need to keep the small scale formula, at most I would say 16 vs 16 with minimum of light transport vehicles(nothing heavy besides killstreaks you call in). plus have game modes without killstreaks that focus on guns and equipment (socom days of rescuing hostages).

#17 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9475 posts) -

I honestly wouldn't know. The newest game in the series that I've played is 4.

#18 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

Hello ! And Welcome to the Party.... Fashionably Late

#19 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

Yes, to a laughable degree. Infinity Ward moreso than Treyarch. IW hasn't done a thing since 4. I actually enjoyed Black Ops 2.

#20 Posted by R4gn4r0k (27736 posts) -

Is it getting stale ? No

Has it been stale since Modern Warfare ? Yes

#21 Posted by RoccoHout (1076 posts) -

Your only 4 years late to ask this

#22 Edited by PAL360 (28957 posts) -

Yes, since 2009.

#23 Edited by naz99 (2835 posts) -

Its been stale for years

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#24 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5219 posts) -

God no.

#25 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

Rhetorical question. For everyone it should be yes...and we know that.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#26 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4939 posts) -

It has been stale since MW2....

#27 Posted by Seabas989 (13205 posts) -

It's been stale since WaW.

#28 Posted by killerfist (20091 posts) -

I got tired of it with/after WaW

#29 Edited by 35cent (934 posts) -

It's as stale as 10 year old bread.

#30 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11233 posts) -

The first thing I did when I entered this thread was check the date it was posted... I am disappointed.

#31 Posted by TheFadeForever (2655 posts) -

yes for a long time because its a milked franchise

#32 Edited by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

Remember people said this before Bops and then it went to sell records? oh and after WOW.

#33 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (809 posts) -

Yes, since MW2 for me and I haven't bought another COD game (for myself) since

#34 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

I haven't touched one since MW3. Looking forward to Destiny, Titanfall, Halo 5 & Evolved.

#35 Edited by spike6958 (6691 posts) -

LOL, getting stale? Call of Duty has been stale since MW2. There are so many better shooters out there, both 1st and 3rd person, why anyone still bothers with CoD is beyond me.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#36 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12859 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac said:

The first thing I did when I entered this thread was check the date it was posted... I am disappointed.

Yeah, that's what I did too. I almost fell out of chair when I saw the date.

#37 Edited by quatoe (7145 posts) -

Call of Duty has been stale since 2007. MW was boring as hell and they didn't get out of the rut they got themselves into with that game. The Treyarch games I also feel the same bout. Last COD I even remotely enjoyed was World at War and that was due to getting it for free.

#38 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

It just needs a new engine and realistic sound fx.

#39 Posted by jake44 (2085 posts) -

Been stale for 4 years or so.

#40 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@quatoe said:

Call of Duty has been stale since 2007. MW was boring as hell and they didn't get out of the rut they got themselves into with that game. The Treyarch games I also feel the same bout. Last COD I even remotely enjoyed was World at War and that was due to getting it for free.

What rut? MW was the game that took the franchise from being fairy popular to the biggest franchise ever.

#41 Edited by quatoe (7145 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@quatoe said:

What rut? MW was the game that took the franchise from being fairy popular to the biggest franchise ever.

The rut of being boring as hell, I understand people see it as a great game but I found it boring and a waste of money.

#42 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@quatoe said:

@Cranler said:

@quatoe said:

The rut of being boring as hell, I understand people see it as a great game but I found it boring and a waste of money.

I thought the mp was boring until MW.

#43 Edited by lamprey263 (35018 posts) -

I thought it went bad after Modern Warfare 2 and World At War, the last two in the series I liked. It went to shit when they stopped caring about having good single player and focused all efforts exclusively on the MP.

I don't quite get why people point at MW2 as the point it got stale though, I don't recall any of the other games being focused on WW3 with the Rooskies.

#44 Posted by AcidTango (1397 posts) -

Since MW2

#45 Posted by lundy86_4 (48887 posts) -

I haven't played it since Black Ops, so I dunno.

#46 Posted by ProjectPat187 (2101 posts) -

I havent played a COD game since MW 2, that game did it for me, stupid matching making, no more dedicated servers, and then they lowered the player count to 9 vs 9 max LOL really. Gone are those fun days with 32 vs 32 players with custom maps on the PC.

#47 Posted by hellangel_boy (180 posts) -

As everyone stated here, it has been stale for some time. But I think it's finally starting to lose its popularity among people who buy it every year, but that took quite some time actually. I think it'll end soon, but Activision has already made billions and billions from it, so I doubt if they care if it dies a horrible death, and I think they are already searching for something else, but I doubt any game will be as popular as COD in the future, or will be? we will see.