Is Switch objectively the best Nintendo system of all time?

• 66 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

I would say objectively speaking, yes. Not only does the Switch have all time first party greats with GOAT Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, it also has probably the best second/third party support a Nintendo system has ever had. Persona 5 Royal, Dragon Quest 11S, Nier Automata, Bayonetta Trilogy, Square Enix support (Octopath Traveler, Live A Live, Bravely Default). And the Switch is not even done yet. Fire Emblem Engage comes out in January, Breath of the Wild 2 comes out in May. It's nuts! Also, its first party success has been nuts. Mario Kart 8 and Animal Crossing have sold 40 million copies each!

So what do you say, SW? Is Switch objectively the best Nintendo system of all time?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38855 Posts

🤭
At Nintendo, we sacrifice everything for portability. Please don't mind our 2007 visuals and frames dropping in the teens. Also don't mind our joycons made for kids and teenagers🤗

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44144 Posts

Yeah I would say so. It has an excellent library of games for sure and is just an excellent system in general given its hybrid nature. Still have a soft spot for the SNES though. Have a lot of nostalgia for that system plus a lot of my all time favourite games were on there.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

yes it is objectively speaking. But we all have our own personal favorites. For me that would be the n64.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

SNES still is better. It's very close though.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

I love the GameCube, but yes, Switch is the best gaming console ever made.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Just purchased the Switch today,expecting it by delivery sometime today. I also got the 2D Metroid and a Switch carrying case. Don’t remember what the Metroid game was called,it’s the most recent one.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic  Online

@sheevpalpamemes said:

SNES still is better. It's very close though.

😮how so?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371

@brimmul777: That would be Metroid Dread. Excellent game. 👍

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@Archangel3371: Thank You,couldn’t remember what the game was called. I knew it had good reviews.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

For me my fav was the SNES I never forget the upgrade from 8 bit.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts

I dont know about the best but I may say my switch lite was already worth it for Bayonetta 2 (and soon 3), Breath of the Wild and Astral Chain. It definitely has some gems.

On the other side, Sony has been disappointment after disappointment lately and who knows me knows I used to be a big Sony fan. Jim Ryan is the worst thing to ever happen to the brand and no, Sony exclusives should have never gone to PC. Say what you will but it DOES hurt the brand in the long run. No longer people see PS consoles as mandatory for Sony exclusives and going by toxic forums PC gamers dont appreciate them anyway. They got them and still complaint about how mediocre they are so they are a waste on them.

There I said. Idgaf. Sony exclusives on PC was a bad decision. It may make Sony more money but it will heavily hurt the PS brand in the long run just like it did hurt the Xbox brand and PC gamers dont lik'em anyway so I hope that sh*t decision was worth it Jim

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
@mesome713 said:

I love the GameCube, but yes, Switch is the best gaming console ever made.

Yeah this... I still have a lot of nostalgia for the Gamecube, but I think Switch is the best system Nintendo has produced. It could definitely be my favourite system of all time.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: In my opinion, no. I would rank them:

1. SNES
  2. NES
  3. N64
  4. Wii
  5. Switch
  6. GameCube
  7. Wii U
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#16  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

As a core gamer who loved their games in the past.... Nintendo has mostly been dead to me since 2006. Nintendo has been going downhill ever since the Wii. Their hardware is shit. Most third party games are missing or suck on their hardware. Their first party games focus too much on gimmicks and milking established IPs, and they aren't that good or don't interest me. Honestly, Nintendo is the least relevant of all the platform holders to me. I have no incentive to buy into their platform. A Nintendo Direct will roll around and pretty much no fucks given. I don't bother watching it because I know it will be trash. Nothing they do excites me.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22664 Posts

It will go down as one of the best consoles ever.

Personally, I think there were too many gaps of truly great games for my taste, but it married together two businesses of Nintendo in very compelling ways. It had better support for third party than Nintendo ever has and it has an OK legacy collection. Yeah, it was a banger of a console.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

It very well possibly could be. Only 2 that are close would be the GC and SNES. It is probably my favorite console at the moment. I may even say it is one of my favorite consoles of all time.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

I dont see how you could say this is an objectively type of argument.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#20 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58923 Posts

It's like holding a brick with nails sticking out.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Archangel3371

Thinking about it I’d say that the Wii U could arguably be considered as Nintendo’s best system. It could play Wii and Wii U discs. Supported the Wii controllers. Had the Wii Virtual Console and Wii U Virtual Console. It had the features and capability to kind of be an “ultimate system” had third parties fully supported the VC. Also had some truly excellent Wii U games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

It's not my favorite.

@Archangel3371 said:

Thinking about it I’d say that the Wii U could arguably be considered as Nintendo’s best system. It could play GameCube, Wii, and Wii U discs. Supported the GameCube and Wii controllers. Had the Wii Virtual Console and Wii U Virtual Console. It had the features and capability to kind of be an “ultimate system” had third parties fully supported the VC. Also had some truly excellent Wii U games.

Pretty sure Wii U did not support GameCube stuff.. Would be awesome if it did, cause then I could just use the Wii U instead of the Wii if I want to play GC games.

But it was a good console that didn't get the chance to flourish. Nice graphics, the little games it got were good. Nintendoland was surprisingly fun.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371

@Litchie: Hmm. I don’t know why I thought it did. My bad.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic  Online

@Archangel3371: though I doubt it will ever happen, I wish Nintendo would allow us to buy classic games instead of rent them via Nintendo Online. But with that said, if we can’t get that, I’m still fine with Nintendo Online as long as they keep bringing more games! And GameCube would be great.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archangel3371

@SolidGame_basic: Would certainly love that myself. I miss the Virtual Console. 😔

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The Wii still sits ahead of it in first place.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1234 Posts

It's two biggest games are incredibly overrated imo ... one of which is on the Wii U. Most of the games are overpriced.

Technologically it's incredibly weak especially if compared to current hardware.

SNes, NES and N64 were all more impressive in their day . I personally probably got most enjoyment from the Wii.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

I wish it had a bit more horsepower, and the joy con protector things it comes with destroyed one of mine in like the first 5 minutes (very depressing) but I do have a lot of fun with the switch. However best for me is the N64. Just pure nostalgia.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@sheevpalpamemes: "SNES still is better. It's very close though."

Only close to NES I agree.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PSP107

@Litchie: @Archangel3371: @girlusocrazy:

This contest should be judge only by the games that it was made specifically for instead of being aided by games from previous gens. That's like people saying the original PS3 is better than PS1 and PS2 because it played PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts

My favourite is the Gamecube. The button configuration is the best we've found yet and it's so annoying that everyone, including Nintendo, had to stick with the inferior diamond layout.

The Switch is extra annoying since it makes the problem worse by shrinking the button size to make it even less ergonomic. Killing all the spongey enemies in Elysium in Hades makes my thumb hurt on switch.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2602 Posts

Its no Wii, but at least Switch is better than the N64, GameCube, and Wii U.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Archangel3371

@PSP107: Well it’s not really a “contest” so feel free to base your opinion on whatever criteria you want to. Me, I like to use all factors available and backwards compatibility is one of those factors. To each their own though. 🤷‍♂️

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PSP107
@girlusocrazy said:

@PSP107: But does it also count compilations of games published on that system? Or straight up only games from that gen no matter how you get 'em?

If it's the latter, that's really tough. It's between SNES, Wii, DS, and 3DS.

Interesting point about compilations/remakes/remastered games. How about for now we just stick with the latter?

@Archangel3371 said:

@PSP107: Well it’s not really a “contest” so feel free to base your opinion on whatever criteria you want to. Me, I like to use all factors available and backwards compatibility is one of those factors. To each their own though. 🤷‍♂️

I guess to be fair, the topic ask for the best Nintendo system. But then again, the TC wrote about the games Switch offered

By the way @SolidGame_basic Super Mario Bros 3(NES) Super Mario World(SNES)>>>>>Odyssey.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mesome713

@PSP107: Switch has all those games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hardwenzen  Online

Its kinda sad when a system like this is being considered as the best. Tells us the state of Nintendo and its fans conditioned to accept garbage.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Thats cause graphics are gimmicks. Gameplay will always be greater than graphics. Thats why Switch will become the greatest selling console of all time.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Thats cause graphics are gimmicks. Gameplay will always be greater than graphics. Thats why Switch will become the greatest selling console of all time.

They're literally cutting off features in NMS because the system is so underpowered. Bayo3 level design is on par with generic ps2 games because they couldn't do anything with such an underpowered system, but lets pretend that horsepower is only related to visuals🤡

The Siwtch, just the Wii, are the worst two systems made by the big three. Two systems made for people that don't play video game, the ones that wouldn't even understand what's poor fps, cut content from its welfare port or poor level design because of system's limitations.

What a mess.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Gamers just dont care for gimmicks. Gameplay will always be greater than gimmicks. Thats why Switch has some of the best selling games of all time.

No Mans Sky has the highest ratings its ever achieved on Switch. Gameplay>Gimmicks.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Gamers just dont care for gimmicks. Gameplay will always be greater than gimmicks. Thats why Switch has some of the best selling games of all time.

Not gamers, kids that own the system, which is the large majority. And its not about caring, but knowledge of wtf to even look for. They have no idea what fps even is, and that applies to at least 80% of Nintendo's playerbase. What a clueless playerbase tbh, no wonder you can sell them $20 toys and cardboard.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Thats cause they dont care, gameplay > graphical gimmicks. As long as the games are fun, thats all that matters. Even professional game reviewers agree. Bayonetta 89 overall.

Thats 70 professional reviewers who all agree, gameplay>graphical gimmicks.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

Yes. I got two Switches so I think it proves it. Last Nintendo consoles I owned were the original GameBoy and NES.

Now if they put more powerful hardware in it, it'd be perfect.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Thats cause they dont care, gameplay > graphical gimmicks. As long as the games are fun, thats all that matters. Even professional game reviewers agree. Bayonetta 89 overall.

Thats 70 professional reviewers who all agree, gameplay>graphical gimmicks.

Nintendo held this game down, which is a shame. On the PS5, this game would've been 95 on meta MINIMUM. Never forget that.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

Best since the Super Nintendo, yes. Wouldn't say best of all time.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mesome713

@hardwenzen: On PS5 this game would have died due to Sonys refusal to support smaller games like so many others have died. Sony refused to support Bayonetta 2 cause they are greedy evil dictators who love censoring games.

That’s why Switch gamers have so many bangers every month while PS5 waits a whole year for one good game.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

@Naylord said:

My favourite is the Gamecube. The button configuration is the best we've found yet and it's so annoying that everyone, including Nintendo, had to stick with the inferior diamond layout.

Cool that there are others in the world..

The GC button layout is so freaking comfortable. Dare I say perfect? Would that layout become a standard for Nintendo, I would be joyous.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: On PS5 this game would have died due to Sonys refusal to support smaller games like so many others have died. Sony refused to support Bayonetta 2 cause they are greedy evil dictators who love censoring games.

That’s why Switch gamers have so many bangers every month while PS5 waits a whole year for one good game.

Bro, the Switch is holding the whole industry back. Why is it so hard to understand? The Switch gets shovelware like Xeno3, a game everyone forgot before it was even released. Now i wonder, does the Switch gets more shovelware than GP? In your humble opinion, which one gets more?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Nah.

Three-way tie between NES, SNES, and GameBoy

Coincedentally, those are the three systems from Nintendo I've spent the most time with...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hardwenzen  Online

@mrbojangles25 said:

Nah.

Three-way tie between NES, SNES, and GameBoy

Coincedentally, those are the three systems from Nintendo I've spent the most time with...

Lets add the GBA, GBC, N64, GC and the GB SP to the list. I can't even think of a single main Nintendo system that wasn't better than the Switch. At this point i think TC mixed up "objectively the worst nintendo system" for "best nintendo system".