Is Sony's exclusives alone enough to justify a PS4 purchase?

• 74 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45060 Posts
  • Bloodborne
  • Uncharted 4
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Until Dawn
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Last Guardian
  • Gran Turismo Sports
  • Driveclub
  • God of War
  • Dreams
  • Detroit Become Human
  • Spiderman
  • Yakuza 0
  • Last of Us 2
  • Knack 1 & 2
  • The Order 1886

What do you think, SW? Would you justify buying the system just for exclusives?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Take 1 shot of your favorite beverage every time the phrase ‘movie games’ is uttered.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

All my PS4 games are exclusives.

Best games on the market.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

@boycie:

I like the idea, gonna get absolutely smashed with this topic...

And with that said, came in to say... Nah, it's a better deal to just get'em on YouTube. lolol :P

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

After I build my new gaming rig I'm thinking of getting a PS4 pro to compliment it. I found out a new Gungrave game is being made it seems its only going to be for PS4 that is one more game to motivate me to get one.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Sure if they are games that you want to play. It is all about the gamer and what they want to pay that justifies a purchase. Not review score or anyone's opinion.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

What kind of ridiculous thread is this?

Dogmatic923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dogmatic923
Member since 2006 • 734 Posts

I bought a PS4 after alreay owing a XB because of how much their exclusives get hyped up around here. I wasn't impressed by them and after a few months basically just gave it away. However, everyone has different taste. Cows love eating dry grass so to each their own. Yet, to make the argument that how many exclusives a gaming plateform has is the sole reason to buy it, then we should all throw away our PS4s, XBs and Switchs just to game on our tablets or phones.

Clearly there are other factors at play when considering to buy a console rather than the sheer number of exclusives. It's the nature of exclusives as well as performance and quality of services. For myself and several friends, the PS4 comes up short in every category. Nevertheless, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If the majority prefer a mediocre experience in exchange for some exclusives they couldn't get anywhere else but I wouldn't even play them for free, who am I to judge?

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Only 2 games on that list interest me (Bloodborne and HZD).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@UssjTrunks: those 2 alone are worth the purchase

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

It’s selling like crack already because of its exclusives and good messaging.

Who cares what SW thinks?

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Horizon Zero Dawn alone is enough to purchase a PS4

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, the Last Guardian, Last of Us 2, and Crash trilogy are the only must have PS4 games that I can't get on other platforms.

I'll do the same things as PS3 and wait until I can one for super duper cheap

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

there hasnt been enough for me yet. if i did get a PS4 today the games i would get are HZD, gravity rush 2 and shaodw of the colossus (i know not an exclusive to the PS4 but i would get it. finally that game done properly). oh also i think they released a wipeout game so i would at least look into it (though if its a port of the PS3/vita version then meh).

sony dont really make games for me. they focus heavily on story, presentation and so on. the gameplay in many of their own games tends to be a bit run of the mill imho. not terrible or anything just not very interesting. they do what they do very well. but story and presentation are not very important elements for me in a game.

but for those looking for a more cinematic experience and for those that want to show off their console sony do what they do very very well.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

I did. Bought it just for Last of us mp, HZD and Uncharted .... having said that, they were all pretty short lived and I don't use my PS4 much now. Last of us 2 should be good though.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#16 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

School Girl Zombie Hunter as well. Worth it just for that game too.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

For me, yeah. It's the reason I have a PS4 and not the other consoles, which even when combined, have 0 games that I currently want.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#18 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I only care about 6 of those and i bought it so yes.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cainetao11

@Dogmatic923: Clearly there are other factors at play when considering to buy a console rather than the sheer number of exclusives. It's the nature of exclusives as well as performance and quality of services. For myself and several friends, the PS4 comes up short in every category. Nevertheless, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If the majority prefer a mediocre experience in exchange for some exclusives they couldn't get anywhere else but I wouldn't even play them for free, who am I to judge?"

What are you doing here?

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Nope... Sony's exclusives aren't that great. But what makes the PS4 excellent is that it gets everything. There is not a multiplat out there that doesn't want to be on the PS4.

If I didnt have a PC, I would probably do most of my gaming on Playstation. But I pass on most of those exclusive... Excited for Detroit tho.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@boycie said:

Take 1 shot of your favorite beverage every time the phrase ‘movie games’ is uttered.

Lol. Think we'd have to get out stomachs pumped (if it's an alcoholic beverage).

Anyway, Sony's exclusives alone isn't enough for me... because there's honestly only a few games that interest me.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#22 freedom01
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

For me, yeah, since I would also include Japan exclusive games such as Yakuza Isshin, Super Robot Taisen, etc.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

It all depends if one likes the games or not. What’s the point in a game’s exclusivity status if you don’t like it. There’s only about 4 or 5 games on that list that I really care about. There’s a bunch of others though that the PS4 shares with the PC that I’m more interested in such as Street Fighter V, King of Fighters XIV, Persona 5, World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XIV, Dragon Quest Heroes, Nioh, Nier Automata, etc. Those are the games that make the PS4 something worthwhile to me.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Probably, depending on your tastes.

...but you don't have to play non-exclusive games on it - only if there's no other alternative.

For me, it's: BB, HZD, R&C

So barely.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

Sony's marketing rights on all the biggest games like Call of Duty, Star Wars, Batman etc. have helped them way more than the exclusive games they put out that average a 7% attach rate at best due to no multiplayer and no replay value. Therefore helping the leeches like gamestop and the used market.

Also their market presence in a lot of countries where Xbox is not supported. Don't fool yourself into the mentality that people in North America and the UK are not buying lots of Xboxes and it is much closer then you think there.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

If it has the games you like, then yes it is. Although it's a sport game, i have a few friends who specifically buy Playstation for MLB The Show Series. Im not a huge baseball fan but the Devs who work on MLB The Show do some incredible stuff and can see why some people would pick up Ps4 just for that series alone.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Bloodborne is the only exclusive I've really enjoyed. There was also Disgaea 5 but it's not exclusive anymore. I do want to get Yakuza 0 though, and will see how Spider-Man does. So would be the PS4 be worth it to me if exclusively for exclusives? No. Well maybe now it would, not sure what PS4 currently sells for, but not the $400 I paid for it(+2 games, came with GTA and Last of Us).

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

That is a sad short list for the "Top selling console" in its late years.... christ.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19562 Posts

I bought the PS4 for Bloodborne and Persona 5. Bloodborne was disappointing, but Persona 5 was great.

Now, the only PS4 exclusives I'm interested in are more Yakuza games. Sony's other IPs don't really interest me (Horizon and The Last Guardian were okay, Uncharted was mediocre).

Still, the PS4 is a worthwhile tertiary platform for those games.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Worth it for Playstation +console exclusives

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: They're a good major publisher that happens to be a platform holder, so yes. They're pretty committed to content thus far.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#33  Edited By Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
  • Uncharted 4
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Gravity Rush 2

These are all that caught my attention, adding Persona 5 I can easily live without the rest. Obviously not enough to sway me to get a PS4, and is especially not worth putting up with the less than satisfactory performance of the system itself, give me 60fps at 1080p at LEAST.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@the-a-baum said:

Sony's marketing rights on all the biggest games like Call of Duty, Star Wars, Batman etc. have helped them way more than the exclusive games they put out that average a 7% attach rate at best due to no multiplayer and no replay value. Therefore helping the leeches like gamestop and the used market.

Also their market presence in a lot of countries where Xbox is not supported. Don't fool yourself into the mentality that people in North America and the UK are not buying lots of Xboxes and it is much closer then you think there.

No console outside of Nintendo’s consoles has excessively high attachment rates.

PS2 was the most successful console of all time, and its best selling exclusive GT3 only sold 15 million on a user base of well over 150 million. You’d be silly however if you claimed GT3 wasn’t a system seller for PS2.

The truth is that no one exclusive will be the sole reason for people buying a console as most gamers on a successful console will have different tastes. You’re never gonna see attachment rates of 30-40% on a healthy successful platform like Sony’s. One exclusive won't do it but a variety of exclusives all added together do add up to make a system more desirable to buyers.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Um... aren't exclusives one of the biggest reasons to buy a console?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56034 Posts

Not just the exclusive games, but the media apps that I use on my PS4 is also worth the buy since it is the only main console I use to not just play excursive games, I also use Netflix, Blu-Ray player, Crunchyroll app, and of course, playing exclusive games.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

If you like their games.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

That really depends on you and your tastes in games. I think the PS4 library is great but I've never been a sucker for Sony's first-party stuff (although I did enjoy the GoW games). As it stands the only game exclusive to the PS4 that interests me is HZD but I'm not buying a PS4 just for that. Spiderman also looks interesting but it's not out yet so the jury is still out on that game.

Right now I feel like I'm just going to skip on the PS4 this gen and that's a shame because I enjoyed my PS3 far more than my 360 and Wii, maybe I'll get the PS5 if that turns out to be good. Hopefully it'll have BC so this way I'll use the opportunity to play HZD.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By UssjTrunks

@boycie said:

@UssjTrunks: those 2 alone are worth the purchase

Not really, although I did think about.

As good as Bloodborne is, it's just another Dark Souls. And HZD isn't groundbreaking or anything. I've played much better open world games. The graphics and premise are interesting, but not interesting enough to get me to spend $300 on a console I won't use anymore after I complete it. I might just borrow a friend's PS4 to beat it eventually.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 UssjTrunks

@davillain- said:

Not just the exclusive games, but the media apps that I use on my PS4 is also worth the buy since it is the only main console I use to not just play excursive games, I also use Netflix, Blu-Ray player, Crunchyroll app, and of course, playing exclusive games.

You can do all those things with a $50 Amazon Fire TV or Roku.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56034 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:
@davillain- said:

Maybe, but I still needed at least one current-gen console, and that console is PS4 along with the exclusive games I want to play the most.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

for me thus far, for what I'm interested in, I'd estimate it's an even split between Sony's own in-house developed games and what the console gets from third parties for console exclusives, but yeah, it was enough for me at least to warrant getting one... well, I'd probably not have bothered if it weren't for Persona 5, but now that I have a PS4, no point in ignoring the other stuff too

and that's pretty much all I use it for, exclusives, play all the multiplats on XB1, and for me that's enough, some people not so much, for some people a console isn't worth owning unless it can supplant someone's entire gaming habit in one system... well to those people, I don't care what they think, they'll never be happy no matter what so no point trying to convince them otherwise

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#44 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17795 Posts

The exclusives are the only reason I buy any console. I have a PS4 Pro and it has some good exclusives, but it is still shit.

Dogmatic923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dogmatic923
Member since 2006 • 734 Posts

@cainetao11: what do mean what am i doing here?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Yes, and you are missing some.

Everybody's Golf(Formally Hot Shots Golf) is the best golf game series for the past 15 years. Nothing compares to it. It is a golf sim dressed in fun cartoon graphics.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cainetao11

@Dogmatic923: You are way to logical and clear minded for SW. Get out before IT happens to you........ ;)

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

For me a couple of exclusives I want is enough reason to get me PS4 or X1 or WiiU or whatever.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:
@davillain- said:

You aren't playing the games on those though.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Yeah that is a good enough list with one of the best game this gen for me. Bloodborne truly one of the best. Yeah yeah its a souls game but at the time of release changed the way most people played souls game. Faster, no shield, discovering being aggressive was ok and you can have crazy reflexes. Different world and just as or even more atmosphiric truly expanded the souls run. Damn just put Bloodborne on the switch after Dark Souls it seems like a "rediscover greatness" console. Or better yet release the game on pc with buttery smooth 60fps please. I have enjoyed other games too and everyone need to discover Yakuza games with Yakuza 0. I want to start getting into Gran Turismo Sport after I have calm down about PD laziness. Its just feels like it the best playing console sim out there with a competition to get in to.