Is Sony using the 10 year lifecycle as an excuse for delays and not delivering?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts

So it took Sony 2 years to deliver an AAAE game that was universally well received by game critics. This year it looks like MS stole Sony's thunder by announcing FF13 on 360, Netflix, new XBL experience etc etc. MS has won best lineup at various websites after E3 and even won game of the show on GS (Fable 2). PSN has delivered mediocre titles while XBLA has given 2 AAA games in 2 weeks.

Sony on the other hand has announced: Home delayed, Killzone 2 delayed, GT5 delayed. Shown us CG trailers for games we will not see until at least 2010, GOW3 and MAG (ie Killzone 2 2005 CG trailer, 2009 release date.) I don't think I need to list other games that were previously delayed. Sony is also still trying to catch up to online features that came out of the box on the 360 for years now.

So is sony just using this "10 year lifecycle" as a tactic to take attention off the constant delays? With DVD 2.0 releasing, will blu ray even be a factor? Are consumers going to begin asking themselves why they are paying $400-500 for a system that is releasing very few quality titles compared to the cheaper competition?

discuss

Ace132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ace132
Member since 2008 • 1515 Posts
a price-cut should help.....at this temp..no
PlagueMyGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PlagueMyGames
Member since 2008 • 408 Posts
well as the cows will say "Play B3yond".
MajinFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MajinFix
Member since 2005 • 480 Posts
probably yes
argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

I think they are using it as an excuse and a way to get more hype for their system.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

One great thing about Sony this gen, is their really cranking out 1st party quality games, which has been impressive. Some of these delay's suck, but we still got LBP, Resistance 2, and others on the way.

(BTW : DVD 2.0 is a joke TC)

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

Sony is delivering great retail games right now, far better than whats on X360 for 2008 so far. And what about Alan Wake, Splinter Cell or Halo Wars? Is MS not talking about them because they won't be out until the next Xbox?? See we can all make absurd topics.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 argetlam00

One great thing about Sony this gen, is their really cranking out 1st party quality games, which has been impressive. Some of these delay's suck, but we still got LBP, Resistance 2, and others on the way.SolidTy

There were absolutely no AAA games published/made by Sony....Microsofts published games scored much higher than Sony's

virtuas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 virtuas
Member since 2007 • 1312 Posts

So it took Sony 2 years to deliver an AAAE game that was universally well received by game critics. This year it looks like MS stole Sony's thunder by announcing FF13 on 360, Netflix, new XBL experience etc etc. MS has won best lineup at various websites after E3 and even won game of the show on GS (Fable 2). PSN has delivered mediocre titles while XBLA has given 2 AAA games in 2 weeks.

Sony on the other hand has announced: Home delayed, Killzone 2 delayed, GT5 delayed. Shown us CG trailers for games we will not see until at least 2010, GOW3 and MAG (ie Killzone 2 2005 CG trailer, 2009 release date.) I don't think I need to list other games that were previously delayed. Sony is also still trying to catch up to online features that came out of the box on the 360 for years now.

So is sony just using this "10 year lifecycle" as a tactic to take attention off the constant delays? With DVD 2.0 releasing, will blu ray even be a factor? Are consumers going to begin asking themselves why they are paying $400-500 for a system that is releasing very few quality titles compared to the cheaper competition?

discuss

mephisto_11

how is the 10 year cycle an excuse if they used it for the ps1 and ps2. its not a excuse, its a tradition. Beside if you are going to create a topic between two system, pls don't be biased and say discuss. you're supposed to be neutral.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]One great thing about Sony this gen, is their really cranking out 1st party quality games, which has been impressive. Some of these delay's suck, but we still got LBP, Resistance 2, and others on the way.argetlam00

There were absolutely no AAA games published/made by Sony....Microsofts published games scored much higher than Sony's

I don't know ANYONE that only plays AAA games. It comes down to taste, but I would rather play TWO AA games than one AAA game. It's a juggling act between QUALITY and QUANTITY. Even though M$ had a FULL YEAR headstart, Sony has already passed them on the 1st party front, and that's impressive to me. I didn't think they had it in them.

Uncharted and Resistance were AAA according to many sites, but at Gamerankings, I think they are HIGH AA's. Either way, they were a blast to play.

As you can tell from my MASSSIVE GAMERTAG SCORE, I play more than AAA games.

Of course, in a perfect world every game I played was AAAA.

flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 flatline711
Member since 2005 • 2015 Posts
I believe Sony when they say the PS3 has a ten year lifespan. That simply means the PS3 will continue to be supported much like the PS2 is today. Doesn't mean they won't launch the PS4 in 2011 or so.
argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 argetlam00
[QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]One great thing about Sony this gen, is their really cranking out 1st party quality games, which has been impressive. Some of these delay's suck, but we still got LBP, Resistance 2, and others on the way.SolidTy

I don't know ANYONE that only plays AAA games. It comes down to taste, but I would rather play TWO AA games than one AAA game. It's a juggling act between QUALITY and QUANTITY. Even though M$ had a FULL YEAR headstart, Sony has already passed them on the 1st party front, and that's impressive to me. I didn't think they had it in them.

Uncharted and Resistance were AAA according to many sites, but at Gamerankings, I think they are HIGH AA's. Either way, they were a blast to play.

Of course, in a perfect world every game I played was AAAA.

Microsoft definately published more games than Sony did this gen, if thats what 1st Party means..

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Maybe. Maybe not.

Most likely is like 7-8years life cycle , if we take as example the previous PS1+PS2.

But here is the tricky part. What if PS3 ,wont sell like PS1 or PS2 did. Will be 8years++ in the market and be successful? Wait to take out my crystal ball... Hmm , a big cloud in the way,cant see clearly the future... Damn... Nothing is sure this gen

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts
10 years with PS3 could happen. I'm not sure why this would shock anyone. PS2 is still going somewhat strong, and it has been out 8 years.
Killer2401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Killer2401
Member since 2006 • 3431 Posts
Wait until 2016.....
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

10 years with PS3 could happen. I'm not sure why this would shock anyone. PS2 is still going somewhat strong, and it has been out 8 years. AvIdGaMeR444

I dont disagree with you, but plz consider that PS2 was the most successful console ever... So , will be the same with PS3 , if wont sell that much? Thats the tricky-icky part im talking about :)

flatline711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 flatline711
Member since 2005 • 2015 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]One great thing about Sony this gen, is their really cranking out 1st party quality games, which has been impressive. Some of these delay's suck, but we still got LBP, Resistance 2, and others on the way.PlagueMyGames

Yeah i can also tell you have no life.

:cry:
mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts
lets be realistic here, the ps3 is nothing like the ps2. The ps2 was crushing the competition early and had a 100 million unit lead from its closest competitor and an awesome game library early. the ps3 is struggling hard
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]One great thing about Sony this gen, is their really cranking out 1st party quality games, which has been impressive. Some of these delay's suck, but we still got LBP, Resistance 2, and others on the way.PlagueMyGames

Huh. I wish that were true (The FREEDOM!), my life get's in way of my Gaming. I am going to Vegas in a week, and I'm going to Cali Next month. I work 50+ hours a week (I have my own business), and have a woman to please when I get home. I just beat games faster than you kids can, and I have had my 360 since 2005.

Bottomline, I'm more an Xbox fan thay you.

Broman6015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Broman6015
Member since 2007 • 1381 Posts
As far as 10 year life cycles go, Sony has a pretty good track record. PS1 lasted that long, and the PS2 is obviously going to make it. As far as PS3 goes, i dont know, maybe its to early to tell. The PS3 is obviously not doing as well but what people dont realize is that when Sony says 10 year life cycle, its nothing new. Its something they have actually lived up to. Again, time will tell this time around.
Iceman2911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Iceman2911
Member since 2006 • 2669 Posts
I think there trying do what they did with the ps2.
argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 argetlam00

I think there trying do what they did with the ps2.Iceman2911

TRYING doesn't cut it. Im sure Microsoft and nintendo is also TRYING to be the next PS2

PlagueMyGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PlagueMyGames
Member since 2008 • 408 Posts
[QUOTE="PlagueMyGames"][QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="argetlam00"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]One great thing about Sony this gen, is their really cranking out 1st party quality games, which has been impressive. Some of these delay's suck, but we still got LBP, Resistance 2, and others on the way.SolidTy

Huh. I wish that were true (The FREEDOM!), my life get's in way of my Gaming. I am going to Vegas in a week, and I'm going to Cali Next month. I work 50+ hours a week (I have my own business), and have a woman to please when I get home. I just beat games faster than you kids can, and I have had my 360 since 2005.

Thats Nice.

Iceman2911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Iceman2911
Member since 2006 • 2669 Posts

[QUOTE="Iceman2911"]I think there trying do what they did with the ps2.argetlam00

TRYING doesn't cut it. Im sure Microsoft and nintendo is also TRYING to be the next PS2

stop hating man I didn't say they were trying to be the next ps2 I am trying to say that some of the ps2 big hits didn't come to till its 5-7 year.

Avatar image for Itinerant_Voice
Itinerant_Voice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Itinerant_Voice
Member since 2008 • 210 Posts
The PS3 will have a 10 year lifecycle. Graphics have already reached a stage where most people will be more than happy with their current systems' capabilities. PS3 has a Blu-Ray player, and there's really no better storage format on the horizon. I could see PS3 support being even stronger than the PS2's in its last years (from Sony!), especially if sales keep up and surpass the 360 worldwide as expected over the next couple of years. The last thing Sony will want to do is abandon the PS3 when it finally pulls ahead, nor will they be excited at the prospect of jumping into another generation after everything they went through launching the last one.
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts

Kind of. they use the ten year life cycle as an exuse for why the PS3 isn't selling well and why the cell is so difficuilt the program for. And why PS3 games aren't better than 360. As they see. The PS3 will continue expand improve over 10 years. The 360 will reach it's peek maybe 3, 4 years in.

AND PLEASE get this damn "DVD 2.0" crap out of your head. Nowhere have I heard of it except this crazy board.

And also the 360 fanboys have been exuding bigotry and supremacy on a level I've rarely seen before. And I've been on these boards since ~2004. You 360 fanboys are making this board unbalanced and overall a crappy place to argue anything game related.

atarigrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 atarigrad
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts

Kind of. they use the ten year life cycle as an exuse for why the PS3 isn't selling well and why the cell is so difficuilt the program for. And why PS3 games aren't better than 360. As they see. The PS3 will continue expand improve over 10 years. The 360 will reach it's peek maybe 3, 4 years in.

AND PLEASE get this damn "DVD 2.0" crap out of your head. Nowhere have I heard of it except this crazy board.

And also the 360 fanboys have been exuding bigotry and supremacy on a level I've rarely seen before. And I've been on these boards since ~2004. You 360 fanboys are making this board unbalanced and overall a crappy place to argue anything game related.

munu9
You must not have been here when Xbox was trashed daily with all the Sony fanboys!!!! 360 will not have only a 4 year life span unless Microsoft feels it's time for new technology to hit. Which would likely be in 3 more years. PS3 won't ever live up to the hype. No Sony machine has ever done what they said it was capable off. But it will have great games. But so will xbox360.
deathtoallgods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deathtoallgods
Member since 2007 • 577 Posts
The PS3 will have a 10 year lifecycle. Graphics have already reached a stage where most people will be more than happy with their current systems' capabilities. PS3 has a Blu-Ray player, and there's really no better storage format on the horizon. I could see PS3 support being even stronger than the PS2's in its last years (from Sony!), especially if sales keep up and surpass the 360 worldwide as expected over the next couple of years. The last thing Sony will want to do is abandon the PS3 when it finally pulls ahead, nor will they be excited at the prospect of jumping into another generation after everything they went through launching the last one.Itinerant_Voice
You have a very skewed view of reality.
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 munu9
[QUOTE="munu9"]

atarigrad

You must not have been here when Xbox was trashed daily with all the Sony fanboys!!!! 360 will not have only a 4 year life span unless Microsoft feels it's time for new technology to hit. Which would likely be in 3 more years. PS3 won't ever live up to the hype. No Sony machine has ever done what they said it was capable off. But it will have great games. But so will xbox360.

Please learn to read carefully noob. First of all. I was around then. And even though cows were arrogant, sheep and lemmings held up a good fight. Right now Lemmings have almost a monopoly over this place. I never said the 360 would have a 4 year life span, but that it would peek in 3 to 4 years. The PS3 will probably peek in 5 or more years. The basic PS3 hype that was given outside of systemwars is that it would have graphics better than the 360 and better games. And until this generation ends, we don't know that. But is true they will both have great games, they already do :|

Avatar image for Itinerant_Voice
Itinerant_Voice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Itinerant_Voice
Member since 2008 • 210 Posts
[QUOTE="Itinerant_Voice"]The PS3 will have a 10 year lifecycle. Graphics have already reached a stage where most people will be more than happy with their current systems' capabilities. PS3 has a Blu-Ray player, and there's really no better storage format on the horizon. I could see PS3 support being even stronger than the PS2's in its last years (from Sony!), especially if sales keep up and surpass the 360 worldwide as expected over the next couple of years. The last thing Sony will want to do is abandon the PS3 when it finally pulls ahead, nor will they be excited at the prospect of jumping into another generation after everything they went through launching the last one.deathtoallgods
You have a very skewed view of reality.

Heh, well, we'll have to just wait and see, right? It's a fun topic but unfortunately it's pretty difficult to predict (or debate) one way or another. Too many factors. If the question is whether Sony is hiding behind it, using it as an excuse - well, sure, it's an excuse, but I think they honestly believe the PS3's best years will come late in its life. Probably due to the Blu-ray market among other things.
atarigrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 atarigrad
[QUOTE="atarigrad"][QUOTE="munu9"]

munu9

Please learn to read carefully noob. First of all. I was around then. And even though cows were arrogant, sheep and lemmings held up a good fight. Right now Lemmings have almost a monopoly over this place. I never said the 360 would have a 4 year life span, but that it would peek in 3 to 4 years. The PS3 will probably peek in 5 or more years. The basic PS3 hype that was given outside of systemwars is that it would have graphics better than the 360 and better games. And until this generation ends, we don't know that. But is true they will both have great games, they already do :|

Noob? I was around back when casey wegner was just starting to post as a xbox fanboy. I left these forums because I didn't have time for them and got tired of the PS2 fanboys trashing the xbox and crying to the forums when you put them in there place. I'm not a noob. However I did misread your statement about the lifespan of the 360. I believe both systems have equal room for improvement and feel only 360's storage meduim(DVD) will hold it back.
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 munu9

Noob? I was around back when casey wegner was just starting to post as a xbox fanboy. I left these forums because I didn't have time for them and got tired of the PS2 fanboys trashing the xbox and crying to the forums when you put them in there place. I'm not a noob. However I did misread your statement about the lifespan of the 360. I believe both systems have equal room for improvement and feel only 360's storage meduim(DVD) will hold it back.atarigrad

Sure the old been-around-before-and-then-decided-to-come-back exuse, sure :roll:

atarigrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 atarigrad

[QUOTE="atarigrad"]Noob? I was around back when casey wegner was just starting to post as a xbox fanboy. I left these forums because I didn't have time for them and got tired of the PS2 fanboys trashing the xbox and crying to the forums when you put them in there place. I'm not a noob. However I did misread your statement about the lifespan of the 360. I believe both systems have equal room for improvement and feel only 360's storage meduim(DVD) will hold it back.munu9

Sure the old been-around-before-and-then-decided-to-come-back exuse, sure :roll:

Exactly what pathetic reason would I have to lie? No wonder you can't find an intelligent conversation with someone. You have to take them at face value first. When you don't they no longer respond to your posts.

Later!

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 munu9

Exactly what pathetic reason would I have to lie? No wonder you can't find an intelligent conversation with someone. You have to take them at face value first. When you don't they no longer respond to your posts.

Later!

atarigrad

Like I've said to some other guy, you haven't been very long here have you? Being here a long time I've learned that there are some very pathetic people here. You never trust anyone here, don't you remember how when someone claimed to be a manticore, it was mandatory that he posted a pic of all his consoles? For someone who claims to have been here so long, you should know that.

Also, I don't use the term "noob" seriously. So if I offended you, don't take it personally.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts
[QUOTE="PlagueMyGames"][QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="argetlam00"]

:lol:

Seraphimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Seraphimon
Member since 2003 • 89 Posts

People who actually believe Sony will have the PS3 out for 10 supported years are delusional.

PS1 didn't even last ten years truth be told. Eight is pushing it, because by the time FFX, MGS2 and others rolled out for PS2, PS1 was being shelved.

PS1 = Marketleader by a huge margin.

PS2 = Marketleader by a larger margin.

PS3 = Struggling in the rear, and has the loser stink(it's real people). PS3 won't be like the prior two systems, because the market forces don't sleep with Sony alone this gen.

PS3 doesn't have the marketshare to last ten years, as of now. Things keep going the way they are, it'll be Sony launching PS4 first, and deading the PS3.

They remember what it's like to be the head honchos and they want a return, i'd bet.

Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Albanian_Killa
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts

I think they are using it as an excuse and a way to get more hype for their system.

argetlam00

What excuse, the PS2 is still selling...

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
i agree
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

Also don't forget by next month, September, they will discontinue backward compatibility for all future PS3 sku. And yeah, I agree, Sony having that "oh we got a 10 year life cycle" just gives them an excuse for delays. They've been telling people from the start to just wait. I mean come on, "next gen doesn't start until we say so" and "the PS3 is the future" and "Play B3yond". The message is right there, Sony themselves wants you to just wait.

jeffdoomsday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jeffdoomsday
Member since 2008 • 1023 Posts
I think the ten year life cycle is good and I'm not sure if they're using it as an excuse but it means I'm in no hurry to buy a ps3 because it just started, I bought the ps1 and 2 when they were already years into it's lifespan.
Burnsmiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Burnsmiesta
Member since 2004 • 1672 Posts
My guess is Sony will release a new system around year 6-7. Lets rewind the clock 10 years from 2006.

The Sega Saturn and PS1 launched in 1994-1995, then in the 10 year period you've got N64, Xbox, PS2, Gamecube and the Xbox 360 with numerous handhelds.

Thats basically two generations in that 10 year span. What they are basically saying is "we won't drop our system like MS did with Xbox". Whether MS does the same with the 360 remains to be seen, I however believe they won't, not immediately anyway.