is "realism" ruining gaming.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Friendlyfire53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Friendlyfire53
Member since 2003 • 1630 Posts
i've been playing games 10 years now and i've come to notice that the most realistic games get the more difficult to enjoy some are becoming. racing games are not very fun anymore because you are constantly breaking and trying to turn corners. back in the day racing games were so much fun because they didn't require a lot of skill. also baseball games have about 50 different functions to learn. back when i was young it was like 5. i don't know maybe i'm the only one but besides shooting games i feel other games take too much time just to learn controls and figure out how to even play right.
Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts
kind of, but very simple games arent that fun either. I like games that are simple but have a lot of depth to it. resident evil 4 had a pretty simple game mechanic but there was a lot of depth in it.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

i've been playing games 10 years now and i've come to notice that the most realistic games get the more difficult to enjoy some are becoming. racing games are not very fun anymore because you are constantly breaking and trying to turn corners. back in the day racing games were so much fun because they didn't require a lot of skill. also baseball games have about 50 different functions to learn. back when i was young it was like 5. i don't know maybe i'm the only one but besides shooting games i feel other games take too much time just to learn controls and figure out how to even play right.Friendlyfire53

Buy a Wii, I hate games that are gimped for casuals.

(not bashing the Wii here, its games just have a simpler control system)

EDIT in fairness games should have difficulty settings that allow for all levels of ability ie racing games at a basic level where braking is not so important or baseball games were all u have to do is press a button

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

I'd say it's adding to the experience in most games. The Physics and A.I. make the game a 100x better.

But some games need more fantasy. And if a lot of buttons is a problem, then Wii :P

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Realism isn't ruining gaming, it's just setting everyone's standards higher with each new game...which could be good or bad.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Realism can go either way in a game. Physics don't need to be realistic in a platformer, but they can be a good thing in games like Assassin's Creed. (It has some platforming elements if I'm correct)

As for your racing game thing, some prefer the need to brake around turns. Some, like myself, prefer arcade like action, somewhat like Mario Kart.

It's all opinion.

Sup11722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sup11722
Member since 2005 • 1757 Posts
buy a wii its simplier less realistic but still fun
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Then don't play "realistic" games?

There are plenty of arcadey games to go around. It's normal for games to turn more complex and deep when the possibility to do so arises. This does not mean they must be less fun. Fun is not a function of complexity, but of game design.

Then again, games are considerably easier today than what they were 15-20 years ago, so I don't see what your problem is.

myke2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 myke2010
Member since 2002 • 2747 Posts

Well you have arcade racers and sim racers. Sims, like Forza,are supposed to be realistic, and it's realistically quite difficult to handle these cars at high speeds. On the other hand you have the ridge racer arcade style games. Those are probably what you want as it doesn't take long to get the feel of the cars and they pretty much all handle the same. There are plenty of unrealistic games out there, far more then realistic ones.

As complex control schemes, well gamers clamored for more control over their games, unfortunately that comes with a price. As long as a dev is smart, they'll make a game easy to pick up and play. If a game has controls that are difficult to figure out then that's probably the dev's fault, not yours.

Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts

If you want loose driving controls play more arcade style driving games, like Burnout series. Yes, it takes skill and concentration and patience to play realistic racing games; thats why I like them so much. I'd hardly say adding realism to simulations is a bad thing.

Now sports games, yeh I think they are too complicated these days but I don't think that should change, its just that we need a more "arcade" genre of sports games, IMO, not dumb down the ones that want to offer more realistic control options. I miss sports games like Baseball Stars on the NES, or Mutant League Football on the Genesis

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Nothing is ruining gaming, seriously...what's up with this tendency?

And TC, don't you think there are people which are actually drawn to play some games because of the realismn of them?

There are games for all tastes.

peter360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 peter360
Member since 2005 • 244 Posts

i've been playing games 10 years now and i've come to notice that the most realistic games get the more difficult to enjoy some are becoming. racing games are not very fun anymore because you are constantly breaking and trying to turn corners. back in the day racing games were so much fun because they didn't require a lot of skill. also baseball games have about 50 different functions to learn. back when i was young it was like 5. i don't know maybe i'm the only one but besides shooting games i feel other games take too much time just to learn controls and figure out how to even play right.Friendlyfire53

So, is football, soccer, baseball, and other sports not fun either because they are competitive? Maybe everyone should be a winner

Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts
it also depends on your taste. your point is one of the reasons why i prefered re4 over far cry (excluding all that trident monster stuff).
HuhJustaBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HuhJustaBox
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

A certain part of realism is RUINING GAMES!

There is one part that is ruining games--it is the part that put mundane tasks in the game to make them more realistic. Examples include but are not limited to:

Oblivion--bartering with people to sell crap, having to fix your weapons, etc. At one point I spent over an hour traveling towns looking for people to sell stuff to and get items repaired. I stopped and sat back and said what am I doing--I am running freaking errands in a game.

GTA San Andres--Working out in the gym, going to places to get something to eat, picking out your clothes, etc. All mundane tasks.

There are many other examples. The bottom line is that graphics, physics, AI all matter but take a back seat to FUN. If a game is not fun, then it SUCKS. And mundane tasks are not FUN, and therefore should be removed from the game.

rpawloski2458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rpawloski2458
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts
In some cases, yes. But at the same time, having realistic physics and AI in a game set inan unrealistic setting (Halo, for instance) can be very good. But yeah, I'd rather play Killzone and Halo than Ghost Recon any day...
rpawloski2458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rpawloski2458
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts

There is one part that is ruining games--it is the part that put mundane tasks in the game to make them more realistic. Examples include but are not limited to:

Oblivion--bartering with people to sell crap, having to fix your weapons, etc. At one point I spent over an hour traveling towns looking for people to sell stuff to and get items repaired. I stopped and sat back and said what am I doing--I am running freaking errands in a game.

GTA San Andres--Working out in the gym, going to places to get something to eat, picking out your clothes, etc. All mundane tasks.

There are many other examples. The bottom line is that graphics, physics, AI all matter but take a back seat to FUN. If a game is not fun, then it SUCKS. And mundane tasks are not FUN, and therefore should be removed from the game.

HuhJustaBox

TOTALLY!!! I want a game to take me AWAY from reality, not make me do the same boring crap... why don't I just play a game where I do laundry, go to work, and get my oil changed???

Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts
Realistic games are good if they are entertaining. I prefer realistic games with sci fi elements like MGS and Resident Evil.
Avatar image for TimeToPartyHard
TimeToPartyHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TimeToPartyHard
Member since 2004 • 1963 Posts
Totally with you. Over complicated games are not games at all, they're simulators. Simulators CAN be fun, but only for a very specific audience.
HuhJustaBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HuhJustaBox
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts
[QUOTE="HuhJustaBox"]

rpawloski2458

TOTALLY!!! I want a game to take me AWAY from reality, not make me do the same boring crap... why don't I just play a game where I do laundry, go to work, and get my oil changed???

Exactly! Game devs need to sit back and look at each part of the game and ask, "Is this really fun?" If the answer is no-it is boring as hell--then get rid of that. Just because it makes Oblivion or GTA more real--does not mean it is going to be more fun. And last time I checked, if a game is not fun--then it is not worth playing.

snorlaxmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 snorlaxmaster
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts
No. Sometimes "non" realism is good in games like VF5, but most of the time i enjoy the realism in games like Motorstorm and Gran Turismo.
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

the realism in games like Motorstormsnorlaxmaster

Wait wait wait..

What?

pswii23