Is PS5 the death knell of Sony "movie games"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll Is PS5 the death knell of Sony "movie games"? (28 votes)

Likely. 21%
Unlikely. 79%

More of an "open world/sandbox" blue print such as Horizon Zero Dawn/Days Gone/Bloodborne/Spiderman and Less Uncharted 4/The Order/Detroit/Last of Us 1?

death knell = NOT death so more of a taper off.

• 
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Why would that be the case? Without getting into what a "movie game" even is, it's not like they exist because of technological limitations or something. They exist because there's a market for them. And why would the release of a new console suddenly make the demand for those kinds of games die off?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

Why would that be the case? Without getting into what a "movie game" even is, it's not like they exist because of technological limitations or something. They exist because there's a market for them. And why would the release of a new console suddenly make the demand for those kinds of games die off?

I think the big part of allure of the so called "movie games" are great graphics only possible on a smaller scope but that's to the extreme end of it.

There also might be perceived diminishing returns.

Instead of focusing more on less but far more flashy setpieces and events that may look very, very good on the PS5 they may just pour more into larger worlds and content like a linear jump in "open-ness " from Uncharted PS3 series, to Uncharted LL, to "PS5 ND title", rather than back again to LL, since already very good could look may be more than acceptable to a lot already.

I've read about "complaints" of forum posters even as the trend of it is this gen from 3rd party and 1st as how a lot are becoming more sandbox/open-world at least from some of the comments I've read with AAA games.

It seems to be also Sony's current direction with with NuGoW and Uncharted Lost Legacy which seems to be becoming more open compared to previous entries.

Instead of a demand dying off, it's gonna be more on how the market's been reacting to it and the question of developers thinking would it be enough to just have another one similar to instead of an expansion of?

You have a point though.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

And it also could be that (at least sometimes) people just want a more linear experience and don't want to run around in an open world sandbox.

I mean, actual movies are still popular, right? I'd wager that (at least sometimes) people just want more of a linear experience and don't want a bunch of side quests getting in the way of that.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rzxv04

@MrGeezer said:

And it also could be that (at least sometimes) people just want a more linear experience and don't want to run around in an open world sandbox.

I mean, actual movies are still popular, right? I'd wager that (at least sometimes) people just want more of a linear experience and don't want a bunch of side quests getting in the way of that.

True. I'm getting tired of it.

I feel like it'll happen, more of this sandbox/open world trend getting worse BUT I'm hoping that there'd be some high profile ones that used to only create more linear games where we can plow through the meat of it with no issue. A good implementation of the "main campaign/missions"

Now I just remembered GoTsu but maybe that barely counts as they've been making openworld games since PS3.

Killzone PS4 felt a bit Crysis 2/3-fied to me. I'm guessing they'd also expand upon that rather than a more linear KZ2/3 back to roots thing if they make another KZ entry next gen.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

How about both? Not sure why every game has to be open world. I like linear and open world. I also like Detroit and Until Dawn. If I wanted one genre of games I'd own an Xbox.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rzxv04

@joshrmeyer said:

How about both? Not sure why every game has to be open world. I like linear and open world. I also like Detroit and Until Dawn. If I wanted one genre of games I'd own an Xbox.

Don't they have Forza and Gears?

It'd be nice if they maintain a good ratio of variety but it might be more about the execution of an open world anyway.

I had a good time with DT and UD but I'm no longer sure if we'll see those from Sony. Maybe less of such and more TO where there's an actual active gameplay meat.

I'm not sure but didn't Sony let go of one of those dev teams?

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

movie games sell too much to be abandoned by sony

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

If your tired and can't fall asleep just pop in a Sony movie game, works great!

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

I actually really enjoy movie games and I hooe to see more of them.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

@rrjim1 said:

If your tired and can't fall asleep just pop in a Sony movie game, works great!

True story and it even works on your pets as well. lol :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

Who knows. I just want something that looks fun to play and call it a day.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@samfisher56: Movie games are also very expensive to produce.

As a board, we really need to nail down the definition for “movie game.” HZD and Bloodborne are NOT movie games. Naughty Dog on the other hand is a movie game studio. Spiderman and God of War can be up for debate, but fit my personal classification for movie games. The actual gameplay in those games is so light, while the amount of cutscenes is teetering on onsurd. The use of QTE’s in those games would also put them in the movie game category.

I also have a bone to pick with skill points, but that’s more of a video games as a whole problem. I can fight that one another day

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

This old troll? Sony gives up games with cinematic stories in favor of what? Battle royale shit? Dumb party games? Sony has their niche and that salt only flows through people's veins because they publish some of the best SP games around.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

You can guess the age and experience of some users by their use of terms like 'movie game' and 'walking simulator' lol

As for the topic, i really hope Sony (and other companies) keep the high focus on super polished story driven games, next gen.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:

This old troll? Sony gives up games with cinematic stories in favor of what? Battle royale shit? Dumb party games? Sony has their niche and that salt only flows through people's veins because they publish some of the best SP games around.

In favor of broken and unfinished games is the alternative I guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@PAL360 said:

You can guess the age and experience of some users by their use of terms like 'movie game' and 'walking simulator' lol

As for the topic, i really hope Sony (and other companies) keep the high focus on super polished story driven games, next gen.

As for my experience, I've been gaming since '85. Games were far more difficult and demanding of the player back then. "Beating" a game used to mean something. In today's "movie games," the player is only asked to walk behind the character giving the exposition, "find" the treasure that looks like a strobe light in the distance, "defeat" enemies by hitting the button prompts when they come on screen and watching a half dozen or so hours of cutscenes. Those games are a waste of my time...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I don't see why. People play games like Uncharted for a different reason. You might think HZD is better, and I personally agree, but there are very few open world games that tell a narrative like that. People like Uncharted because there's something rewarding about "being a part of" an Indiana Jones movie. It's a different experience than sandboxy games offer.

Don't think it has much to do with graphics at all, and I don't think it is going anywhere any time soon

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PAL360

@goldenelementxl: Games were not more demanding back then. Giving you 3 lives and 2 credits to make tou think that a half an hour game could last 10 hours is not exactly better design. Now there are tons of challenging games like Celeste, Dead Cells, Divinity OS2, etc...the problem is that people always pretend that AAA mainstrem games are all we have.

As for story driven games, i don't think they are easier either. I remember beating the puzzles of many point and click games just by trial and error. Don't get me wrong, i loved them, but they were actually pretty linear games. In games like Detroit Become Human (which i see as the natural evolution of point and click), not only you also have puzzles, but some of them can actually kill characters and radicaly change the progress of the story.

And you said you don't have time to watch 'half dozen or so hours of cutscenes'. These cutscenes are replacing the time you used to spend watching you character walking from point A to point B on the screen or dialog sequences you had to watch from the same angle. The difference is that now they look amazing.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

As for my experience, I've been gaming since '85. Games were far more difficult and demanding of the player back then. "Beating" a game used to mean something. In today's "movie games," the player is only asked to walk behind the character giving the exposition, "find" the treasure that looks like a strobe light in the distance, "defeat" enemies by hitting the button prompts when they come on screen and watching a half dozen or so hours of cutscenes. Those games are a waste of my time...

Funny you say that because thanks to Sony giving Demon's Souls a chance last gen a new genre of challenging games was created that is possibly as or more challenging than anything that was on PC back then and now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@PAL360 said:

@goldenelementxl: Games were not more demanding back then. Giving you 3 lives and 2 credits to make tou think that a half an hour game could last 10 hours is not exactly better design. Now there are tons of challenging games like Celeste, Dead Cells, Divinity OS2, etc...the problem is that people always pretend that AAA mainstrem games are all we have.

As for story driven games, i don't think they are easier either. I remember beating the puzzles of many point and click games just by trial and error. Don't get me wrong, i loved them, but they were actually pretty linear games. In games like Detroit Become Human (which i see as the natural evolution of point and click), not only you also have puzzles, but some of them can actually kill characters and radicaly change the progress of the story.

And you said you don't have time to watch 'half dozen or so hours of cutscenes'. These cutscenes are replacing the time you used to spend watching you character walking from point A to point B on the screen or dialog sequences you had to watch from the same angle. The difference is that now they look amazing.

- Oh, there is still plenty of walking from point A to point B, we just have a little more control of it. You still have to follow the character, and they will still speak the same lines of dialog etc...
- I would bet most people on this board couldn't complete most NES/SNES era games. And the "challenging game" genre only recently got a resurgence. Before games like Celeste, Dead Cells, DOS2, the Souls series etc, we were trending in the blockbuster or nothing territory. Thank god for indies!
- Story driven games have always been something different. My issue is with the action adventure genre taking the "point and click" route of game design. Any time you can hit a button to get clues as to where everything is, that's lazy and insulting. But in order to make sure the player sees the story through, the puzzles can't be too hard and the player has to be given hints in case they are running in to trouble. This really makes me question who we call "casual" and "hardcore" gamers. But that's another topic for another thread...

And you mentioned a half hour game lasting 10 hours because of the limited lives before a continue... How long would Uncharted 4 be without the cutscenes and the "platforming" sections that really only serve as load screens? The game would literally be 1/2 point and click adventure, and 1/2 3rd person shooter. I'm really not sure how to classify the "cinematic" enemy encounters with QTE's, but they aren't challenging or rewarding in any way other than, "this looks kinda cool." So I'm just gonna throw them in with the cutscenes and dismiss them entirely. (;P)

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PAL360

@goldenelementxl: 'Thank god for indies!' This is something i 100% agree with.

But man, cutscenes or not, games are bigger and have much more content now. Insulting is looking back and remember that i had to pay 100 euros for Virtua Racing, a game with one car and one track running at 8fps. Now we pay less for racing games with 500 cars, 50 tracks, online options, 60fps, better controls, insane visuals, etc. I recently replayed Another World, one of my all time favourite games, and realised that it lasts no more than 20 minutes...and i remember it being fairily long. I was such a fan of that game that i bought it for 3 different systems, back in the day.

And you are acting like QTEs are something new. That trend started in late 80s with FMV games. All you had to do in games like Dragon's Lair was to press left or right when asked for 10 minutes, and then the game was over.

But like you said 'thank god indies'. Thanks to them, all the classic genres are back from the ashes. If you don't like modern story driven games and prefer the good old school point and click ones, you also have options, like Broken Age, Oxenfree, etc.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

No. Assuming new hardware would change the type of games made is a fallacy. If anything it will reinforce the current status quo.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@zappat said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Funny you say that because thanks to Sony giving Demon's Souls a chance last gen a new genre of challenging games was created that is possibly as or more challenging than anything that was on PC back then and now.

Sony initially did not believe in Demon Souls. They sent it out to die in japan and cut deals with other publishers to put it in the west. Then after souls series gained cult following they were smart enough to bring Miyazaki back for BloodBorne. Forum gamers are gonna bring the fact that it did not sell anywhere close to COD but have no idea how important of a game that is not just to sony but for a prolific studio like fromsoft. Just perfect timing to bring in that following to the ps4. They sometimes do appreciate critical reception even if shit doesn't do UC numbers.

Anyways I'm going to use this to make my point and rant a bit. Cause while they sent Demon Soul to die it highlights the thing that they used to do, collaborate with local devs for there platforms. Sony will not and should not stop making narrative games. They make the best of them and there is an audience for it. Some of them are just better games than random crap of games that people play and defend because there is alot of garbage gameplay to put up with. F****in ruhh ruhh Metal Gear Survive is the best Metal Gear Game because no Kojima cut scenes bullshit. Cant believe internet gamers these days.

Sony are at there best when they do there thing while also collaborate with talent from japan and sometime from the west. They should do more of that even though traditional console biz is fading in japan. Japan studio producers should go give Kamiya same Kojima treatment right now after his spell with Scalebound. Do some more collabs with Level 5. Give Decima engine to small gun for hire japanese studios so they make more game for next gen consoles. Japanese devs even the ones that love there cut scenes tend to experiment with gameplay design and yes they love there cutsenes. They tend to not give a f*** about ludonarrative dissonance cutting gameplay design. Something that I personally have no problem with. Get poor Yuu Suzuki an engine so he makes more fighters. I cant believe they left Shenmu to kick starter money till deep silver rescued it. Go revive Itagaki's crusty ass back to making games like Nija Gaiden again. If you leave things to publisher they will just keep settling for handheld and mobile. Kojima could end up making a shity game or in the scheme of things make the most interesting game about package delivering lol. That might actually be more interesting than a ubisoft open world game with alot of gameplay. They have been falling in love with there own shit too much this gen. I think that will be a problem next gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@PAL360 said:

@goldenelementxl: 'Thank god for indies!' This is something i 100% agree with you.

But man, cutscenes or not, games are bigger and have much more content now. Insulting is paying almost 100 euros for Virtua Racing (like i did for Megadrive), a game with one car and one track running at 8fps. Now i pay less for racing games with 500 cars, 50 tracks, online options, 60fps, better controls, insane visuals, etc. I recently replayed Another World, one of my all time favourite games, and realised that it can be completed in 20 minutes. No extra modes, no extra difficulty...just a 20 minute campaign for a full price.

And you are acting like QTE are something new. That trend started in late 80s with FMV games. All you had to do in gameslike Dragon's Lair was to press left or right when asked for 10 minutes, and then the game was over.

But like you said 'thank god indies'. Thanks to them, all the classic genres are back from the ashes. If you don't like modern story driven games and prefer the good old school point and click ones, you also have options, like Broken Age, Oxenfree, etc.

I LOVE FMV games! I still own a handful today. The difference there is that with FMV games, you knew what you were getting. With Uncharted/Spiderman/God of War, the cinematics of the gameplay are smoke and mirrors. The characters are performing amazing feats on screen when all you did was hit a button or two. That sequence in Spiderman when you jump from the building, through the helicopter, grab a guy and throw him back through the building all from hitting triangle once comes to mind. It's things like this that make "kiddie games" like Mario seem more demanding and satisfying. Seeing credits in Mario Odyssey required far more from me than Uncharted 4 did. And in Mario, I watched maybe 5 minutes of video I had no control of.

Speaking of video, if you have a spare 6 1/2 hours, you can watch all of Uncharted 4's cutscenes here! God of War more your speed? You'll need over 8 hours of free time.(which is why speed-runners abandoned the game so quickly) The Spiderman-game movie is thankfully only 5 1/2 hours.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PAL360

@goldenelementxl: I haven't played Spider Man yet, but i did play the other ones. Sorry man, but i can't take you seriously when you use GoW as an example of a movie game! The game has dozens of hours of fun and tactical combat, puzzles and exploration. The fact it also has well made cutscenes is a pro, not a con. Also you can't compare Mario to Uncharted. Both are great in completly different ways, and more than anytime before, you now know exactly what you are buying (or at least you have the resources for that). I remember buying games for my Megadrive and Snes based in one or two pics from a mag.

Just like you, i also love the good old FMV games, point and click adventures, and classic gaming in general, but that's partly because they were part of my childwood. Gaming is much better now, and it's not even close.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:
@PAL360 said:

@goldenelementxl: 'Thank god for indies!' This is something i 100% agree with you.

But man, cutscenes or not, games are bigger and have much more content now. Insulting is paying almost 100 euros for Virtua Racing (like i did for Megadrive), a game with one car and one track running at 8fps. Now i pay less for racing games with 500 cars, 50 tracks, online options, 60fps, better controls, insane visuals, etc. I recently replayed Another World, one of my all time favourite games, and realised that it can be completed in 20 minutes. No extra modes, no extra difficulty...just a 20 minute campaign for a full price.

And you are acting like QTE are something new. That trend started in late 80s with FMV games. All you had to do in gameslike Dragon's Lair was to press left or right when asked for 10 minutes, and then the game was over.

I LOVE FMV games! I still own a handful today. The difference there is that with FMV games, you knew what you were getting. With Uncharted/Spiderman/God of War, the cinematics of the gameplay are smoke and mirrors. The characters are performing amazing feats on screen when all you did was hit a button or two. That sequence in Spiderman when you jump from the building, through the helicopter, grab a guy and throw him back through the building all from hitting triangle once comes to mind. It's things like this that make "kiddie games" like Mario seem more demanding and satisfying. Seeing credits in Mario Odyssey required far more from me than Uncharted 4 did. And in Mario, I watched maybe 5 minutes of video I had no control of.

Speaking of video, if you have a spare 6 1/2 hours, you can watch all of Uncharted 4's cutscenes here! God of War more your speed? You'll need over 8 hours of free time.(which is why speed-runners abandoned the game so quickly) The Spiderman-game movie is thankfully only 5 1/2 hours.

I don't play Spiderman but in defence of GOW. You fight the Valkyries or even a set of regular mobs in a proper challenging mode. You do Nephlheim challanges and you forgot all bullshit about cut-scenes taking your time away. Hell even to get to shiny thing you got hit things not with one button prompt. Your acting like the core game play in GOW is QTE. Come on dude now days you can even watch Mario Odyssey movie on youtube and rant that the new Mario is more forgiving than even the so called movie game GOW. Or that Sakurai said nintendo no longer gives a shit about skilled players. Why blanking yourself off to games by the site of a cut scene. You can say the game is bad but this is some next level bullshit.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Idk, but what I found disappointing about this gen, was that all those resources like huge ram was used for textures etc rather than expanding gameplay possibilities more often than not I think.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Once again... people not knowing what an actual movie game is lumping together most story driven games. *rolls eyes*

I think it should be mandatory that people saying all the Sony exclusives are merely "movie games" as some kind of slander be forced to play only Sega CD, CDi, and 3DO actual movie games for no less than a month. Let them see what actual movie games are and how they play.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice

@Telekill:

Sewer Shark FTW. lol :P

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@SecretPolice: I honestly enjoyed that one but yes... definite movie game. Lol

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice

@Telekill:

Yep, I must admit, I played a bunch of that game back in the day.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PAL360

@HalcyonScarlet said: Idk, but what I found disappointing about this gen, was that all those resources like huge ram was used for textures etc rather than expanding gameplay possibilities more often than not I think.

Do you mean ambitious projects like No Man's Sky? Many devs (especially indies) have actually been working out of their confort zones, putting scale, freedom and unique mechanics instead of playing safe, but the community always jump to hate mode and say that we don't need those games.