Is PS4 proof that exclusives don't matter?

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45095 Posts

PS4 barely has any exclusives, yet it's decimating the other two consoles that have much more. Can we agree that PS4's strength is really in its third party and superior hardware? SW seems to place great emphasis on exclusives, but there is really no proof to support that. Am I right or am I right?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Not really,you're wrong. As usual

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Not really,you're wrong. As usual

pretty much this

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: It's interesting how Sony and Microsoft have pretty much switched places this gen- Sony now has the gamer favor, all the big third party timed DLC and marketing, and not as many exclusives as they did this gen. This is almost identical to Xbox 360 last gen. Now, Xbox is scampering to get some interesting exclusives, a lot of stuff they've never had before (Scalebound, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, Recore- there was really nothing like these on Xbox 360) while staggering behind in sales (like early PS3 days). It'll be interesting to see if the third party riding by Sony will backfire in the end for PS5, allowing Xbox to take the lead next gen by doing all the "winning" things right now (dropping kinect, getting a lot and variety of exclusives, backwards compatibility, ect)

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

Do people really forget about Watch_Dogs and Destiny? The hype for those two "real" next gen games? Those games probably sold about 5M-8M consoles a piece on their own.

Marketing is stronger than good games.

Altivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Altivera
Member since 2015 • 101 Posts

Exclusives are needed as a incentive to buy a console over another and differentiate them. Without that you just have a multiplat machine and the logical answer for that is the PC.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Cool.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Am I right or am I right?

Based on your track record, it would seem unlikely

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

I've enjoyed infamous and Bloodborne quite a bit :)

Halo 5 was a flop and what's WiiU got? More Mario Kart? Whopty freekin' do.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

Here is why PS4 has high sales than XBONE (But much lower than PC).

1. Its tiny handful of exclusives are considerably more casual. We are talking games that basically press X or Square to win. Movies. The one decent and possibly hard game it got (BloodBorne) did bad sales, casual ps4 gamers do not like that. Sony is mostly for non gamers and CoD gamers.

2. It has better version than XBONE multiplats, but much worse than PC version. People mostly play multiplats (most games are multiplats) so they go to PS4 as the cheap way to play the decent versions. A good PC is not as cheap as PS4 even I will admit. Casual do not care about playing at 15 fps on low in PS4, they just want to beat the game and move on to the next CoD. But marketing told them there is a big difference between xbone/ps4 multiplats, but we know they both suck.

3. It is now the CoDstation. It has no good online games. It's basically for casual COD dudes. That is going to be big sales.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX

@Pray_to_me said:

Did you actually read the OP?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus said:

1. Its tiny handful of exclusives are considerably more casual. We are talking games that basically press X or Square to win. Movies. The one decent and possibly hard game it got (BloodBorne) did bad sales, casual ps4 gamers do not like that. Sony is mostly for non gamers and CoD gamers.

2. It has better version than XBONE multiplats, but much worse than PC version. People mostly play multiplats (most games are multiplats) so they go to PS4 as the cheap way to play the decent versions. A good PC is not as cheap as PS4 even I will admit. Casual do not care about playing at 15 fps on low in PS4, they just want to beat the game and move on to the next CoD. But marketing told them there is a big difference between xbone/ps4 multiplats, but we know they both suck.

3. It is now the CoDstation. It has no good online games. It's basically for casual COD dudes. That is going to be big sales.

So i take it you're a PS4 gamer?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

PS4 barely has any exclusives, yet it's decimating the other two consoles that have much more. Can we agree that PS4's strength is really in its third party and superior hardware? SW seems to place great emphasis on exclusives, but there is really no proof to support that. Am I right or am I right?

If you dont want play mario what does WiiU have besides Xenoblade and splatoon? Xbox got like Halo5, Forza is that much more to you?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

If you dont want play mario what does WiiU have besides Xenoblade and splatoon? Xbox got like Halo5, Forza is that much more to you?

Bayonetta?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonsieurX
@aroxx_ab said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101,Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, Yoshi Woolly's World,Bayonetta 2(and 1),Zelda WWHD,Hyrule Warriors,Kirby,Nes Remix 1-2

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

I am still baffled that people still care about exclusives in a positive way. They are quite the blight on the gaming community.

Consider a situation where anyone can play the games that are produced as long as they have the hardware to handle the game and not a limitation imposed by some company who doesn't want to share.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

Have you looked into your inaccurate claim? The data and evidence with numbers of exclusives (and total library) suggests otherwise.

Surprisingly, the PS4 actually has more exclusives than you might realize (more than the Xbone), even if you don't like the exclusives offered.

If you ask me, both these new consoles (my Xbone and PS4) are dropping the ball in total exclusives that I care to play, however, I posted to let you know your information is incorrect. I'm also disappointed with this gen overall so far.

The information about numbers of exclusives has already been posted over and over and over in SW, so I'm just assuming you don't keep up on numbers (how many exclusives, how many games, etc). Which means you may want to create talking points on things you do keep up on instead.

My Wii U I believe I have the most exclusives in my home vs. my Xbone and PS4, but it helps Nintendo they rolled out a year earlier. That said, I fear the NX may steal some exclusives from the Wii U overtime.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Bloodborne sold pretty well for a new IP. Seems like it did better than they thought. As for Call of Duty and the other multiplats, Sony has been the kings of marketing this gen so far.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@bunchanumbers: @MonsieurX: Aw yah i forgot bayonetta2 and Wonderful 101 good ones. But i put Captain Toad and Yoshi world in the "Mario" category of games, just because they make mario games and kick mario out of the game it still feels like mario games. If you are tired of mario games you would not like them. ZeldaWW is not exclusive, old game cube game.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

#ExclusiveGamesMatter

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonsieurX

@aroxx_ab said:

@bunchanumbers: @MonsieurX: Aw yah i forgot bayonetta2 and Wonderful 101 good ones. But i put Captain Toad and Yoshi world in the "Mario" category of games, just because they make mario games and kick mario out of the game it still feels like mario games. If you are tired of mario games you would not like them. ZeldaWW is not exclusive, old game cube game.

Captain Toad doesn't play,AT ALL, like any previous Mario game.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#22 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus said:

+1

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@jcrame10: PS4 has tons more upcoming exclusives than Xbox One does. This fake narrative you lemmings have going is not fooling any one.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

resolution and kinect...

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus: 2 million + sales I less than 9 months for an exclusive Souls style game is poor? Yeah no need to read anything else you have to say...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26  Edited By deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

Personally, exclusives are the ONLY reason I game on consoles. It's why I love the Wii U, it offers solid games I can't find on PC. Otherwise, forget consoles and good for the PS4 for selling on hardware and third party.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

There's only one game that sold the PS4 and that game is Don Mattrick, that game was a multiplat that ran better on the PS4 than it did on the XB1, even though the XB1 was the lead platform for that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

No...because my PS4 library only consists of Bloodborne.. and it's been this way for almost a full year.

Multiplats I either play on Xbox One...and the more visual focused games like BF4 I usually end up playing on my PC..

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@NoirLamia777 said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

Bloodborne sold pretty well for a new IP. Seems like it did better than they thought. As for Call of Duty and the other multiplats, Sony has been the kings of marketing this gen so far.

I hate it when people say Bloodborne is a new IP.

It just has more layers to an already 6 year old formula.. It's not a new IP...but spiritual successor to the previous Souls game.

dbzee_cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dbzee_cool
Member since 2003 • 277 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

@SolidGame_basic: It's interesting how Sony and Microsoft have pretty much switched places this gen- Sony now has the gamer favor, all the big third party timed DLC and marketing, and not as many exclusives as they did this gen. This is almost identical to Xbox 360 last gen. Now, Xbox is scampering to get some interesting exclusives, a lot of stuff they've never had before (Scalebound, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, Recore- there was really nothing like these on Xbox 360) while staggering behind in sales (like early PS3 days). It'll be interesting to see if the third party riding by Sony will backfire in the end for PS5, allowing Xbox to take the lead next gen by doing all the "winning" things right now (dropping kinect, getting a lot and variety of exclusives, backwards compatibility, ect)

You're forgetting one thing, There was little difference in hardware performance between the PS3 & X360, there is a massive difference in performance and quality between the XONE & PS4. :-)

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

There's only one game that sold the PS4 and that game is Don Mattrick, that game was a multiplat that ran better on the PS4 than it did on the XB1, even though the XB1 was the lead platform for that game.

Uhh no. Sony consoles have always slaughtered the competition. PS3 was the anomaly because it launched a year late at $600 and still rallied to finish 2nd behind the Wii.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@i_p_daily said:

Uhh no. Sony consoles have always slaughtered the competition. PS3 was the anomaly because it launched a year late at $600 and still rallied to finish 2nd behind the Wii.

Whatever helps you sleep at night bud.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@dbzee_cool: Only Sony marketing team and PS4 zealots will want to make you think the difference is colossal while in reality it's minuscule

@acp_45: If I owned a PS4, it'd be a BloodborneStation as well. Besides I agree that calling it a new IP is quite a stretch.

On topic, I agree PS4 made exclusives less relevant. It's so hypocritical from Cows as well when last Gen they were all about exclusives and now they're all about sales and marketing.

PS4 could have nothing but iPhone ports at this point and it still would be selling at the rate it does.

Don't forget PS3 was delayed in Europe till March 2007 and it was 600 bucks at launch but it was still selling like hotcakes.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Not really. The only thing ps4 sales proof is the fact that it has no competition.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@silversix_: In making people Evangelical zealots? Sure.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@zanten said:

I'll just ride right past the part where we start hauling out exclusive lists again and the inevitable 'Those don't count!' arguments begin, and point out that ultimately, all Sony really had to do in order to achieve a strong global lead is remain competitively close in the U.S.. Outside its typical markets- U.S., U.K., and I thiiiink some Central and/or South American markets- the Xbox franchise is at a pretty massive disadvantage.

Unlike Sony, who's had three prior generations to establish fanbases for various franchises, to say nothing for establishing the brand of their console in general, Microsoft's generally been second fiddle over there. So if Microsoft hauls out a new Halo in the middle of long-held Sony territory? Nobody's going to care, regardless of the quality of the title, because to put it simply, Halo's just not exciting. Like, at all. And waiting ages to actually launch in these markets (giving the PS4 the same head start that the 360 enjoyed in the U.S. last generation) proooobably didn't help either, because by the time they did, the PS4 was already well on its way to building momentum in markets it had already held the home-team advantage.

So, even if Sony had less exclusives (again, riding right past list wars,) they're ultimately going to have exclusives that will strike more of a chord with audiences in the global market. Mcrosoft would face a massive uphill fight trying to get that audience to care about any of their heaviest hitters, requiring an advertising blitzkrieg that would cost a truly absurd amount of money, and possibly not even work regardless... because in a lot of those markets, Gears and Halo just don't hit very hard. Maybe titles like Scalebound will have better luck, it remains to be seen.

So, we've established that Sony holds sway in numerous markets, enough to give it a sizable lead over the Xbox One all on its own. All they need to do now is hold Microsoft's previous strongholds. Not even WIN them, (though that's a bonus,) just keep up with them, and not lose to the extent the PS3 lost against the 360 in the U.S.

Let us go with the assumption that most of Sony's exclusive titles just generally don't appeal to the typical American audience. (I honestly don't know, all I can speak for are my personal tastes, which lean more towards the PS4's roster. But you know, different strokes, etc.) That's the point of securing stuff like Call of Duty and other triple-A things that were previously very much an Xbox staple; basically, the message here is 'Okay, not interested in our roster of Japanese titles, or smaller games, or even upcoming first party exclusives that don't have guns? Baseball not your thing, story-driven platformers a no-no, puzzle-driven first-person games not interesting, aaaand no real stiffy at whatever the heck Tearaway is? Well, the upcoming Ratchet and Clank has g- too cartoony? Okay! FINE. Well here's that series that has LOTS of guns and grit, and a shiny bundle for it, and you can get the DLC on our platform earlier. HAPPY?!'

Becoming the go-to console for the biggest titles in the biggest genre in the U.S. served the Xbox 360 very well, as having both Halo AND being the 'CoD' console just made it the obvious shooter-box. Sony can't have Halo, obviously, and their own work on first-person shooters have been hit-and-miss, so the inevitable counter-move is to get a foothold on the OTHER Juggernaut shooter franchise.

In any case, the principle applies to Microsoft filling the Uncharted-shaped hole in their roster with Tomb Raider's year-long exclusivity. It's just inevitable to bolster your vulnerabilities, which can be found in the lineups of both platforms. =P

I don't know if this board is aware of how accurate this analysis is, so to the point that i'm wondering if it's not a waste of time to post such a marvel here!!!

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sovkhan

@Salt_The_Fries

"In making people Evangelical zealots? Sure."

And you are the best specimen among them!!! But i thought for a second that you were a xbone dude ;)

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

@jereb31 said:

I am still baffled that people still care about exclusives in a positive way. They are quite the blight on the gaming community.

Consider a situation where anyone can play the games that are produced as long as they have the hardware to handle the game and not a limitation imposed by some company who doesn't want to share.

Microsoft has shared a lot of Xbox exclusives over the years but it came back to bite them on the ass. It's either:

"Microsoft doesn't care about us PC gamers"

or

"The Xbox has no exclusives"

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sovkhan

They do matter much to some mad fellas like us crawling in these dark gloomy forums...

Much less outside, but we are too blind and cocky to notice!!! Damn!!! we're the elite's elite after all!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#41 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Mario and Captain Toad couldn't be farther apart if they tried. Have you even played Captain Toad?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@SolidTy said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Have you looked into your inaccurate claim? The data and evidence with numbers of exclusives (and total library) suggests otherwise.

Surprisingly, the PS4 actually has more exclusives than you might realize (more than the Xbone), even if you don't like the exclusives offered.

If you ask me, both these new consoles (my Xbone and PS4) are dropping the ball in total exclusives that I care to play, however, I posted to let you know your information is incorrect. I'm also disappointed with this gen overall so far.

The information about numbers of exclusives has already been posted over and over and over in SW, so I'm just assuming you don't keep up on numbers (how many exclusives, how many games, etc). Which means you may want to create talking points on things you do keep up on instead.

My Wii U I believe I have the most exclusives in my home vs. my Xbone and PS4, but it helps Nintendo they rolled out a year earlier. That said, I fear the NX may steal some exclusives from the Wii U overtime.

/thread.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Sorry, I'm not convinced by the narrative claiming the Xbox One has a better exclusive lineup. It's a fun debate to be sure, and people can go back and forth lauding the two libraries, but when it comes down to it both systems sell on multiplats. The Xbox One has the additional advantage of also selling on Halo. PS4 on the other hand has more Japanese content. This is moreorless the same dynamic the Xbox 360 and PS3 had last gen and as more third party Japanese games get released for PS4 will account for most discrepancies in the game library.

Exclusives (non-timed) by and large have not made a major impact on either console yet but that will change with time.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@StrongBlackVine: they're about the same number really.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

Negative home skillet. Your perceived notion as to why the PS4 is succeeding is incorrect.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@Pray_to_me said:

Did you actually read the OP?

Doesnt read full stop.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Except, PS4 has the higher rated exclusives and more of them than xbone.

If we Look at all current systems Wii U has the highest rated exclusives but very few of the top multiplats of the generation. So between all the consoles PS4 has the best range of high rated exclusives and multiplats to choose from among all the consoles.

PS4 isn't proof that exclusives don't matter, PS4 is proof that people who buy these consoles want the best gaming selection available and PS4 is just that. I don't want to go into list wars but It's been proven time and time again that PS4 destroys xbone in high rated exclusives and over-all gaming library this gen.

Since PS4 # of high rated exclusive games >>> xbone # of high rated exclusive games....This therad is kind of dumb.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Is PS4 proof that exclusives don't matter?

Hell, yes !

Out of all that bunch of "exclusives" the PoS4 has to offer I only have TLoUR and KZSF, I don´t care about other "exclusives" which end up being remasters ( at least with TLoUR you got "Left Behind" which is a 15 bucks DLC in PS3 ). Actually after the dust of the disastrous E3 reveal had settled I ended up getting a PoS4 because at the time X1 had nothing I cared about, the MCC was months into the future.

Razik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49 Razik
Member since 2015 • 965 Posts

Yeah and thats not good for PS4, just look at the PS experience they're abandoning big budget games for indie

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

Except, PS4 has the higher rated exclusives and more of them than xbone.

If we Look at all current systems Wii U has the highest rated exclusives but very few of the top multiplats of the generation. So between all the consoles PS4 has the best range of high rated exclusives and multiplats to choose from among all the consoles.

PS4 isn't proof that exclusives don't matter, PS4 is proof that people who buy these consoles want the best gaming selection available and PS4 is just that. I don't want to go into list wars but It's been proven time and time again that PS4 destroys xbone in high rated exclusives and over-all gaming library this gen.

Since PS4 # of high rated exclusive games >>> xbone # of high rated exclusive games....This therad is kind of dumb.

Yup difference is colossal.

PS4 wins again.