Is PS3 Doomed in Japan?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WillieBeamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WillieBeamish
Member since 2008 • 1289 Posts

With the Xbox 360 selling like hotcakes in Japan right now due to the Tales of Vesperia bundle, I can only imagine when Star Ocean hits as well. The PS3 isn't exactly mopping the floor with the 360 in that region either.

I've read that 360 bundles are selling like mad all over Japan, with thousands of stores already sold out. Anyone else think the 360 has potential to actually make gains on the PS3 in Japan?

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts
I don't know. But I do know this. I hate the 360.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9151 Posts
the ps3 is selling ok. its sales actually increased over the last couple of months, but so has the 360's
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
What are the numbers for the 360 in Japan? We can say they're selling a lot and tons of stores are sold out but in comparison it might still be being outsold by the PS3. We need the actual numbers. But no, the 360 will not catch up to the PS3.
Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Gun-Unit
Member since 2003 • 9866 Posts

Famitsu reported sales in japan were just released yesturday.....

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=1625

PSP 70,000

NDS 63,000

Wii 43,000

PS3 11,000

PS2 8,300

Xbox360 6,400

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

One thing I will never worry about is the threat of 360 taking over PS3 in Japan. I don't think its doomed but it certainly is not in a good position right now, Sony really needs to release a game that the Japanese will just eat up. I heard White Knight Story is being release in Japan later this year, should boost sales quite alot

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

With the Xbox 360 selling like hotcakes in Japan right now due to the Tales of Vesperia bundle, I can only imagine when Star Ocean hits as well.

WillieBeamish

I really think that all the people who's gonna get SO already have a 360 thanks to Tales of Vesperia, i dont see SO like a console selle, so my answer is no.

ceruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ceruxx
Member since 2007 • 1292 Posts

Japanese gamers don't like the XBOX360 because

1. It's loud

2. It's full of shooters and other games Japanese people don't care about

3. It has a terrible marketing campaign

... according to 2chan.

sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sireclaborn
Member since 2008 • 1305 Posts
um the 360 is not selling like hotcakes. its having a bump in sales because it finally got a game. if you really believe the ps3 is in trouble your not thinking straight. sales will drop they always do for the 360. plus where are you getting your info from??
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

With the Xbox 360 selling like hotcakes in Japan right now due to the Tales of Vesperia bundle, I can only imagine when Star Ocean hits as well. The PS3 isn't exactly mopping the floor with the 360 in that region either.

I've read that 360 bundles are selling like mad all over Japan, with thousands of stores already sold out. Anyone else think the 360 has potential to actually make gains on the PS3 in Japan?

WillieBeamish

Did they have Tales of Vesperia bundles? If so, how come Gamespot did have a story on that? Maybe I missed it.

If they do a Star Ocean bundle you can forget it. Star Ocean is much bigger then Tales in Japan. More Japan gamers want that game then anything else except maybe FF XIII.

Well the 360 might make some games this week, but after the hype of ToV is over, the system sales will dropp back down to 4K-5K a week again. Because of this surge though, M$ may actually try to get more JRPG exclusives for their system in 2009 as well. There's suppose to be a Blue Dragon 2 & Lost Odyssey 2 in the works, but I would like to see a new Chrono Trigger or Brave Fencer Musashi for the 360.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
the 360 is never going to take off in japan no matter what games go on it, the japanese market just refuses to except it, for one i hear that its way overpriced over there, and they dont really take kindly to american made products
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="WillieBeamish"]

With the Xbox 360 selling like hotcakes in Japan right now due to the Tales of Vesperia bundle, I can only imagine when Star Ocean hits as well.

madsnakehhh

I really think that all the people who's gonna get SO already have a 360 thanks to Tales of Vesperia, i dont see SO like a console selle, so my answer is no.

I'd have to disagree with you on that. I didn't really see Tales of Vesperia being a console seller, yet you can see from the large lines that Japan gamers are buying 360's just to play this game. Star Ocean is more popular in Japan then ToV, so you would think that more people would buy a 360 to play that game then ToV.

I'm tired of fanboys saying that everyone who wants a 360 already has it to play whatever new game is being released. Obviously you people are wrong. Same thing was said for Halo 3, Gears of War and Lost Odyssey, yet 360 sales increased each time a big name game was released. So please, give that statement a rest.

I didn't see lemmings saying that when MGS4 was released. It was obvious that people would buy a PS3 for this games as it was the only game most people were waiting for. Also the MGS4 bundles didn't hurt the sales of PS3 either. So NO, people who want Star Ocean do not necessarily already own a 360.

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

With the bundles of JRPGs releasing later this year, I wouldn't be suprised if the 360 managed to be right under or maybe pass the PS3 in Japan.

That's just what I think though.

jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts

In answer to the topic question: I hope so.

Beaglesniffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Beaglesniffer
Member since 2006 • 707 Posts
doubt it but who cares? really?
DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts
If the Xbox 360 isn't the PS3 most certainly isn't.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts
[QUOTE="WillieBeamish"]

blackace

Did they have Tales of Vesperia bundles? If so, how come Gamespot did have a story on that? Maybe I missed it.

If they do a Star Ocean bundle you can forget it. Star Ocean is much bigger then Tales in Japan. More Japan gamers want that game then anything else except maybe FF XIII.

Well the 360 might make some games this week, but after the hype of ToV is over, the system sales will dropp back down to 4K-5K a week again. Because of this surge though, M$ may actually try to get more JRPG exclusives for their system in 2009 as well. There's suppose to be a Blue Dragon 2 & Lost Odyssey 2 in the works, but I would like to see a new Chrono Trigger or Brave Fencer Musashi for the 360.

Naw, Tales is bigger or about the same. Star Ocean 3 only moved 0.43 units in Japan, while it sold 0.70 (about) in the U.S. Can;t remeber for Europe. Alot of the Japanese didn;t like the bugs it had in the game either with SO3. The people who nought tales will probably buy SO4. There are always long lines for high profile JRPGs. Hell Skies of Arcadia for the DC had a big line.

The move to make it a 360/ worldwide exclusive first was a good one.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

WillieBeamish

"selling like mad" implies that 360 wouldn't still be on the bottom of the charts.

eklineage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 eklineage
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

WillieBeamish

selling like hotcakes? isn't that way overexaggerated. I think you're getting confused with the wii.

Vesperia and SO aren't system sellers and the audience is quite small compared to others. However, it's still enjoyable. Most ppl I know normally dont replay tales or SO after they've beaten it so this is also a factor to how well these games will sell. I probably played ToS 3 times completely ever since I got it. Oh well, a solid game nonetheless.

Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
I think the topic creator is living in lala land. The PS3 outsells the 360 regularly in Japan by a pretty signifcant percentage. There are over 3 times as many PS3's in Japan as 360's, a fact that is even more impressive considering that the 360 launched earlier.
sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sireclaborn
i wouldn't be surprised if the 360 sold more than the ps3 i mean its sales are a little down but really i don't think this is going to help the 360 beat the ps3 now if ms had a game like this every month maybe the ps3 would be doomed. but really its all lems doing wishful thinking.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I don't know. But I do know this. I hate the 360.garland51

You shouldnt hate the better console. And yes, with all the RPG's comig out for 360, that's what japan cares about more, the 360 brand name will start picking up steam faster until it pummels ps3. then it will do that in NA.

sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sireclaborn

[QUOTE="garland51"]I don't know. But I do know this. I hate the 360.Phazevariance

You shouldnt hate the better console. And yes, with all the RPG's comig out for 360, that's what japan cares about more, the 360 brand name will start picking up steam faster until it pummels ps3. then it will do that in NA.

lol

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="Phazevariance"]

[QUOTE="garland51"]I don't know. But I do know this. I hate the 360.sireclaborn

lol

I'm glad you enjoyed my exageration.

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
Are we all forgetting that prior to this PS3 regularly outsells 360 7-1 or 8-1 on a weekly basis??
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts

The 360 will catch up to the PS3 in Japan in 2015.

Does this by any chance look fimilar^?

the_crosbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 the_crosbie
Member since 2007 • 740 Posts

WillieBeamish
According to VGchartz the 360 has been out 138 weeks and has only sold around 600k units where the ps3, in less than half the time has sold 2.4 million consoles, you do the math. P.S. With final fantasy 13 a region exclusive to the ps3 don't look for it to do anything extraordinary in sales.
Avatar image for Itinerant_Voice
Itinerant_Voice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Itinerant_Voice
Member since 2008 • 210 Posts
Final Fantasy XIII is still exclusive in Japan. No, the PS3 isn't doomed.
xmhoward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xmhoward
Member since 2008 • 54 Posts

um the 360 is not selling like hotcakes. its having a bump in sales because it finally got a game. if you really believe the ps3 is in trouble your not thinking straight. sales will drop they always do for the 360. plus where are you getting your info from??sireclaborn

Did you just say Japan

Japanese gamers don't like the XBOX360 because

1. It's loud

2. It's full of shooters and other games Japanese people don't care about

3. It has a terrible marketing campaign

... according to 2chan.

ceruxx

Did you just say Japanese gamers do not like 360 because it is loud????

and it has a terrible marketing campaign????

AtrumRegina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AtrumRegina
Member since 2008 • 1584 Posts

I don't know. But I do know this. I hate the 360.garland51

wow good job hating the best system out there. and you call yourself a gamer...