Is Project X the first 'next gen' looking game? (New Console Graphics King?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

Yesterday, Nintendo announced at Nintendo Direct the latest game from revered development team Monolith Soft, and reactions were all sorts of ballistic. Given the implied scale of the game- a massive game world, coupled with the kinds of battles and monsters that no RPG in the last six years has delivered- alongside the incredible graphics, it was the first real instance of a 'next gen' game on the Wii U. But given its scale, and how good it looks, is it the first real indication that the Wii U won't be comically dwarfed like the Wii was, once the PS3 and 360 successors are released? Is it the first next gen looking game? Hell, based on this feedback, is it the new console graphics king?

Check out the game here.

Here's some nice GIFs for you. Please note that since Nintendo has not released official screenshots, and these are just grabs off a video feed, their quality may be variable and not indicative of the game itself. To get a real idea of the game's visual prowess, please check out the trailer linked above.

Project X 1

Project X 2

Project X 3

Project X 4

Project X 5

Project X 6

#2 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

So that's how you make a topic title (in SW), aye?

(Note to self)

#3 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

Not by a long shot.

#4 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33959 posts) -
Oh boy, Fizzman, Cranler, g0ddyX and sliver_six are going to have a blast with this thread...
#5 Posted by lundy86_4 (48714 posts) -

I'm thoroughly excited to see the graphics and scale in front of my face.

Monolith: Embarassing the boobs at SE since Xenoblade :P

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -
From another thread: [QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]  That scale...

Jesus Christ, look at that scale.
#7 Posted by finalstar2007 (27919 posts) -

Shouldnt the game come out first before we start tlaking about graphic kings? wait till 2014 or 2015 lol

also i think we need a nintendo sticky

#8 Posted by DISSESHOWEDO (1775 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it won't look that gorgeous in the final version!

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

Shouldnt the game come out first before we start tlaking about graphic kings? wait till 2014 or 2015 lol

finalstar2007
Considering how far ahead in advance cows start calling graphics king for THEIR exclusives (TLOU, UC2, KZ2), I don't think so, no. Why? Why is it okay for cows and lemmings to flood the board with their topics, but not for Sheep?
#10 Posted by Giancar (19155 posts) -
Maybe the best jrpg in recent days It looks AWESOME. But best graphics for consoles? mmmm Anyways with the next PS-Xbox around the corner, it would have a very short reign. :P
#11 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

God of War 3 looks slightly better, IMO.

When the PS4 and X720 comes out... Oh boy! Wii-U crushed.

#12 Posted by Heil68 (57913 posts) -
Nope. I would pick Watch Dogs or StarWars 1313. This doesn't compare even remotely.
#13 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

charizard1605

Considering how far ahead in advance cows start calling graphics king for THEIR exclusives (TLOU, UC2, KZ2), I don't think so, no. Why? Why is it okay for cows and lemmings to flood the board with their topics, but not for Sheep?

it's so rare that they'd get the opportunity.

#14 Posted by finalstar2007 (27919 posts) -

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

charizard1605

So if one cow or lem acts all stupid and hypes graphics of a game before it comes out it means sheep got to act stupid too? oh makes sense :P

cows and lems flooding the board? where!? anyways i know ur excited for this game but its like being excited for versus when it first was shown and it hasnt even come out yet, versus tought me not to get excited till the final game is out so u need to learn it too! :oops:

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (49982 posts) -
It already looks better than any game on the ps3 and 360. The best thing is, is that it's not some linear, scripted game like the best looking ones on the hd twins.
#16 Posted by lundy86_4 (48714 posts) -

finalstar2007

See: TLoU.

#17 Posted by 2Chalupas (6642 posts) -
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Do you even have a PS3/360/PC or just play all day on your 3DS? Because while it looks nice, it basically looks like a really good looking current gen game. Not a "next gen". However I do agree it looks like it could be the console graphics king for awhile... particularly being an open world game. But we'll have to see when next gen consoles are revealed - because i have a suspicion that this game will remain closer to PS3/360 quality than to "next gen" quality. For some reason alot of those pics remind me of Halo 4. Now of course this being an open world game, if it lives up to that standard it would have a strong case for graphics king. I have been thinking to myself for awhile that if those "project rainfall" games were ported to Wii-U even in 720p, that I might get interested in them right away (i've basically not bought a game for my Wii in 2-3 years, so that would give me a chance to both play them and a reason to get a Wii-U).
#18 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -
[QUOTE="Giancar"]Maybe the best jrpg in recent days It looks AWESOME. But best graphics for consoles? mmmm Anyways with the next PS-Xbox around the corner, it would have a very short reign. :P

Who knows? Remember, launch cycle games (as evidenced by every console in memory INCLUDING the Wii U), don't always look the best, as developers are still getting a handle on the systems' architecture. By that time, the second and third waves of Wii U games will be coming out.

God of War 3 looks slightly better, IMO.

When the PS4 and X720 comes out... Oh boy! Wii-U crushed.

GamerwillzPS
God of War 3 is also limited to linear, corridor based progression, while that is a massive, Xenoblade sized open world. It's not even comparable.
#19 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

finalstar2007

So if one cow or lem acts all stupid and hypes graphics of a game before it comes out it means sheep got to act stupid too? oh makes sense :P

cows and lems flooding the board? where!? anyways i know ur excited for this game but its like being excited for versus when it first was shown and it hasnt even come out yet, versus tought me not to get excited till the final game is out so u need to learn it too! :oops:

Yes, but see, the difference is, Nintendo is actually known for releasing its games :P
#20 Posted by finalstar2007 (27919 posts) -

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Considering how far ahead in advance cows start calling graphics king for THEIR exclusives (TLOU, UC2, KZ2), I don't think so, no. Why? Why is it okay for cows and lemmings to flood the board with their topics, but not for Sheep?charizard1605

Yes, but see, the difference is, Nintendo is actually known for releasing its games :P

F****ing Square Enix i hate you :x

#21 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -
[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Do you even have a PS3/360/PC or just play all day on your 3DS? Because while it looks nice, it basically looks like a really good looking current gen game. Not a "next gen". However I do agree it looks like it could be the console graphics king for awhile... particularly being an open world game. But we'll have to see when next gen consoles are revealed - because i have a suspicion that this game will remain closer to PS3/360 quality than to "next gen" quality. For some reason alot of those pics remind me of Halo 4. Now of course this being an open world game, if it lives up to that standard it would have a strong case for graphics king. I have been thinking to myself for awhile that if those "project rainfall" games were ported to Wii-U even in 720p, that I might get interested in them right away (i've basically not bought a game for my Wii in 2-3 years, so that would give me a chance to both play them and a reason to get a Wii-U).

Yeah, I play on PS3/Xbox 360 a lot (I'm a game reviewer dude, it's my job to play games across all systems). I know what all the games look like, but what people are forgetting is the fact that while the best looking HD twin games like Halo 4 and Uncharted 2 are all LINEAR, this is a massive open world.
#22 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2930 posts) -

Wouldnt call it graphics king just yet, but I gotta admit the draw distance is impressive and bests anything on PS360

#23 Posted by Giancar (19155 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Giancar"]Maybe the best jrpg in recent days It looks AWESOME. But best graphics for consoles? mmmm Anyways with the next PS-Xbox around the corner, it would have a very short reign. :P

Who knows? Remember, launch cycle games (as evidenced by every console in memory INCLUDING the Wii U), don't always look the best, as developers are still getting a handle on the systems' architecture. By that time, the second and third waves of Wii U games will be coming out.

I know. But the 360 launched with games like Kameo that really amazed people back then. And PS3 with Resistance. Those games really set themselves from the last gen, at least from a technical point of view. I am pretty sure that the next systems will have a first party game that will do wonders for the average eye. And a couple of 3rd party devs will aim to do the same.
#24 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -
[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Giancar"]Maybe the best jrpg in recent days It looks AWESOME. But best graphics for consoles? mmmm Anyways with the next PS-Xbox around the corner, it would have a very short reign. :P

I know. But the 360 launched with games like Kameo that really amazed people back then. And PS3 with Resistance. Those games really set themselves from the last gen, at least from a technical point of view. I am pretty sure that the next systems will have a first party game that will do wonders for the average eye. And a couple of 3rd party devs will aim to do the same.

Sure, maybe. But hey, unless we have anything else to go by, Project X remains the first real glimpse at 'next gen' actually shown running on hardware that we've gotten so far. It is also, like you said, an incredible looking JRPG, and that happens very rarely now :P
#25 Posted by telefanatic (2961 posts) -

It looks allright, animations still suck for next gen game, nothing blows me away in this game...i feel like i played a lot of better looking games this generation.

#26 Posted by locopatho (23140 posts) -
Graphically not so much, the scale and seeing so far looks really great tho.
#27 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
the draw distance looks good, but i'm not sure i'd say it's better than red dead redemption. the technical side seems like a good looking game from this generation.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
#28 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4971 posts) -

It looks great. And all of that was online footage. (Since you can clearly see a dialog box with other users talking in one part of it)

Since the Wii U, at the very worst, has double the system memory and double the video memory at all times than the 360/PS3 (and that's without freeing up any of that 1GB OS ram) then yes I'd say so.

#29 Posted by o0squishy0o (2792 posts) -

The first thing that I noticed was that it looks new and fresh. My internets is crappy so I cant check out any videos etc, but the style and scale looks new for anything of this console generation. Obviously on PC we have planetscape etc, but for consoles, this is time when new and exciting franchises can be born and hopefully COD will take a break for a bit.

#30 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -

It's very visually appealing, if they can keep a stable framerate that would be nice as that's something 360/PS3 open world games struggled with (let alone 720p). I expect PS4/720 to out do Wii U easily, but Project X looks better than 360/PS3 open world games to me. Some people disagree.

#31 Posted by PhazonBlazer (12013 posts) -

I'd say it is the first "next gen" looking game, and the fact that the scope in the game looks extremely vast.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#32 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Not the next king. But it's really impressive and I'm jealous that I don't have a WiiU to play it

#33 Posted by 2Chalupas (6642 posts) -

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Do you even have a PS3/360/PC or just play all day on your 3DS? Because while it looks nice, it basically looks like a really good looking current gen game. Not a "next gen". However I do agree it looks like it could be the console graphics king for awhile... particularly being an open world game. But we'll have to see when next gen consoles are revealed - because i have a suspicion that this game will remain closer to PS3/360 quality than to "next gen" quality. For some reason alot of those pics remind me of Halo 4. Now of course this being an open world game, if it lives up to that standard it would have a strong case for graphics king. I have been thinking to myself for awhile that if those "project rainfall" games were ported to Wii-U even in 720p, that I might get interested in them right away (i've basically not bought a game for my Wii in 2-3 years, so that would give me a chance to both play them and a reason to get a Wii-U).charizard1605
Yeah, I play on PS3/Xbox 360 a lot (I'm a game reviewer dude, it's my job to play games across all systems). I know what all the games look like, but what people are forgetting is the fact that while the best looking HD twin games like Halo 4 and Uncharted 2 are all LINEAR, this is a massive open world.

I didn't forget that it's "open world", as I noted that in my post. ;)

However it still doesn't jump out as a "generational" leap. It does look slightly "smoother" than the best looking open world games like RDR (360) and Dragon's Dogma(PS3). Looks better than Skyrim as well (not that, that is difficult). But basically, in terms of texture qualities and details it looks on relatively the same level. However from the promotional video it seems to have better draw distance, and run without a hitch (probably due to double the RAM). We'll see if the final game is like that, or if that's just promo video running off development kits. Either way, it's basically the 1st interesting looking Wii-U game to me (along with Yoshi Island, which I haven't seen footage of yet).

#34 Posted by tonitorsi (8685 posts) -

It already looks better than any game on the ps3 and 360. The best thing is, is that it's not some linear, scripted game like the best looking ones on the hd twins.freedomfreak

"Than any game" he said....

uncharted32012022921183.jpg

uncharted32012022708204.jpg

Than any game.....did he just said "than any game"? :|

It does look ace for an open world game of that scale regardless.

But definitely not the best on consoles man. Arguably, heck, factually, Gears of War 3, Crysis 2 and Uncharted 3 all look better. This is the best consoles could offer this generation. And I assume that won't be beaten for a while. Especially not on the Wii U.

#35 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Only on a Nintendo console can you find such high quality games.

#36 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

Yeah, I play on PS3/Xbox 360 a lot (I'm a game reviewer dude, it's my job to play games across all systems). I know what all the games look like, but what people are forgetting is the fact that while the best looking HD twin games like Halo 4 and Uncharted 2 are all LINEAR, this is a massive open world.charizard1605

Looks better, but not by much. The textures are slighly better, the quality of detail in the models are significantly better, and the draw distance is more impressive, all of which than say.. in Red Dead Redemption. I'm also sure it'll look better than in that video, more detail is going to be seen, so time will tell. If the performance is good, colour me impressed.

I dunno how big the game world will be tho.

#37 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

I'm thoroughly excited to see the graphics and scale in front of my face.

Monolith: Embarassing the boobs at SE since Xenoblade :P

lundy86_4
Dat. Still looks like FFVII with mechs, but I am not complaining.
#38 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

The scale is impressive, but the actual textures and lighting don't look as good as many current generation console games.

#39 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -
And I assume that won't be beaten for a while. Especially not on the Wii U.tonitorsi
The Wii-U does have better hardware and more RAAM going for it. I'd be shocked if it couldn't outdo PS3 titles.
#40 Posted by PhazonBlazer (12013 posts) -

And keep in mind this is probably an early tech demo. The final product will probably look even better.

#41 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

Looks better, but not by much. The textures are slighly better, the quality of detail in the models are significantly better, and the draw distance is more impressive, all of which than say.. in Red Dead Redemption. I'm also sure it'll look better than in that video, more detail is going to be seen, so time will tell. If the performance is good, colour me impressed.

I dunno how big the game world will be tho.

Lucianu
Perfectly reasonable. I do wanna see how this ends up actually looking in action on the Wii U, and I hope it is released soon.
#42 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

Arguably, heck, factually, Gears of War 3, Crysis 2 and Uncharted 3 all look better. This is the best consoles could offer this generation. And I assume that won't be beaten for a while. Especially not on the Wii U.

tonitorsi
With better hardware than the HD twins? Yeah, I'd say the Wii U will definitely end up outperforming those two pretty soon.
#43 Posted by freedomfreak (49982 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]It already looks better than any game on the ps3 and 360. The best thing is, is that it's not some linear, scripted game like the best looking ones on the hd twins.tonitorsi

"Than any game" he said....

uncharted32012022921183.jpg

uncharted32012022708204.jpg

Than any game.....did he just said "than any game"? :|

It does look ace for an open world game of that scale regardless.

But definitely not the best on consoles man. Arguably, heck, factually, Gears of War 3, Crysis 2 and Uncharted 3 all look better. This is the best consoles could offer this generation. And I assume that won't be beaten for a while. Especially not on the Wii U.

Nah. Unimpressive. Pics of the ground. Boy oh boy.
#44 Posted by glez13 (9780 posts) -

Only the scale seems to be good, the graphics seem average nothing special. I suppose that for die hard sheep that only had a Wii this is totally next gen. :P

#45 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -
looks a lot better than the crap the wii u has had so far. looking forward to seeing wattup
#46 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6700 posts) -
Final Fanasy 13 looks better.
#47 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
seriously people. it's not that amazing. it's pretty good looking, but it's not "zomg best thing ever". also pikmin 3 looks better.
#48 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] also pikmin 3 looks better.

See, I knew this was a joke post, but that part confirmed it.
#49 Posted by AznbkdX (4242 posts) -

I'll put this to the same things I said about the Pokemon game.

1. Massive overworld and draw distance (normally means nonlinear)= Downplay in graphics.

2. No load times= Downplay in graphics in some way usually. I'm betting it will have loads though so this point may be moot.

3. Waiting time until game release= It will probably look better later.

4. Videos on the PC= Images can be worse than they actually are. Especially in Pokemon's case for 3DS games.

Now I feel that this is probably not the console graphics king based off of general graphics with no repercussions to above (Uncharted to me looks better overall). Its not the 'next gen' type of game either imo. If we do include that this game has graphical limitations with these points though, I have a good feeling that it does surpass everything out on market for now, artistic styles aside.

#50 Posted by RyviusARC (5665 posts) -

Final Fanasy 13 looks better.Capitan_Kid

Yah........no.