Is nostalgia a good or bad thing?

Posted by jaydan (2468 posts) 7 days, 21 hours ago

Poll: Is nostalgia a good or bad thing? (45 votes)

Good 82%
Bad 18%

I feel like there tends to be a stigma against nostalgia around here. If a company or game "preys on nostalgia" that tends to be met as a negative connotation.

Nostalgia is a form of sentimentality and connection one has with a product that makes one feel happy - that makes the consumer happy.

Why is it that a happy feeling tends to be met as a negative among SW critics?

#1 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

Cause we don't evolve the industry.

We just sit and muck in old things that were revolutinary 30 years ago.

#2 Posted by jaydan (2468 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

Nostalgia has nothing to do with the evolution of the gaming industry. Nostalgia is not a tech service or anything like that.

It is highly possible a game can be nostalgic yet forward-thinking with its own evolution as a franchise.

#3 Posted by Livecommander (1094 posts) -

@jaydan: just like everything in life it depends on the dosage.

Imagine if mario never wears that jumper in his future games again. And ends up with new friends instead of the regular crew

The franchise probably wuddnt be as popular as it is today that way

#4 Posted by Archangel3371 (28511 posts) -

I think it can be either/or. I agree with you though, some people like to throw around nostalgia as a negative especially when it comes to Nintendo. Nostalgia and evolution aren’t mutually exclusive either.

#5 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

@jaydan: Sure, but it's mostly abused.

#6 Posted by jaydan (2468 posts) -

@Livecommander said:

@jaydan: just like everything in life it depends on the dosage.

I agree with you that nostalgia is good in healthy doses. A fact of reality: EVERYONE is nostalgic towards something, there are no exceptions. It does not matter whether you feel nostalgic towards a video game, or pieces of music, or a movie, or the fact you're buying your first car again after 10 years of not having that model. Nostalgia comes in all shapes and sizes.

@Ant_17 said:

@jaydan: Sure, but it's mostly abused.

Yes, nostalgia can be abused, but so is the negative stigma that gets flinged around a lot - it's abused. When all one can say about a video game is "it preys on nostalgia" as a base of criticism over why it's successful, that is a very superficial way at examining why such a game is successful and it's a showcase of one's lack of understanding of the true quality that game might actually have.

#7 Posted by lebanese_boy (15142 posts) -

In a healthy dose I do like Nostalgia, not just as a reminder of has been but mostly as a testament to where we got to now.

For example in Zelda BoTW where you find Lon Lon Ranch's ruins which have been reproduced in the exact same way and (approximately) dimensions as in OoT. Back then Lon Lon Ranch would've passed for a big area but now with today's standards it is just a small footprint of a massive map.

#8 Edited by uninspiredcup (34917 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

I think it can be either/or.

Agree.

Good example IMO is YS: Origin which see's the protagonist return to the tower of the original 1980's game, but with modern technology, design and a new rendition of the theme.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

As a bad example, would point to pre-order DLC where games lock legacy characters or "nostalgia" costumes.

Resident Evil 2 in particular comes to mind, great game, but locking the original soundtrack behind a paywall was bullshit. It's what fans would have wanted and Capcom knows this.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#9 Edited by BenjaminBanklin (4996 posts) -

In Nintendo's case, that nostalgia comes at the cost of not properly giving back to consumers sometimes and it's a crippling relationship. Nintendo is supposed to represent this happy place, yet will gouge their consumers, exploiting that euphoria of the experience they had with them growing up. Almost like the electronic equivalent of a drug dealer. ?

Nintendo has fun games, but the trade offs are underpowered hardware, consistently high prices and gimmicks that don't always pay off. And out of the three, they should be the ones freely offering up their back catalog of games to buy since they're an extremely litigious company towards fans or anyone that they feel violates their copyright.

But, Nintendo won't learn much due to the core base's swarmish behavior toward their games, and the fans tend to be hugely apologetic toward their practices. Nostalgia's a bitch here.

#10 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

@jaydan: IF we are talking critism, anything can be superficial. Sales, score, visual, art style, design, message and sometimes fan base.

Nostalgia is mostly name and genre. Doing the exact same thing has a higher chance making it worse, like Battletoads. While remixing the formula helps, like Remake 2, but also fails, like Comander Keen.

It's abused more than being a positive.

#11 Edited by robert_sparkes (3311 posts) -

I think it's good if it's done right battletoads looks like a complete overhaul of what made the games classics back in the day. I'm more interested in streets of rage 4.

#12 Edited by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

Nostalgia puts a big factor on how much you like a game compared to it's sequel or in the same genre. That being said, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is still the best in series. Resident Evil 2 is completely unplayable by today's standards and l played it last year to see how it stacks up, it doesn't and there's a reason why RE2 remake gets high praises.

Nostalgia: Saying an older game's control mechanics are better than a newer one's when they're clearly dated, disregarding clear faults in the game just because you played the game when you were younger and didn't care about them before. It reminded you of those times, you ignore the faults once more even though when newer games come out with the same faults, you are critical of them. Anyways, a better example of nostalgia in regards to gameplay/control scheme would be saying that Metal Gear Solid 1 controls are the best in the MGS series when Metal Gear Solid 2 improved upon pretty much every aspect of it and made it more responsive.

Now if I went and said Mortal Kombat 2 was better than Mortal Kombat 9, that would be stupid, and it would obviously be pure nostalgia. If you never played Halo: Combat Evolve or Halo 2 during their primes, you would quickly discount them as nostalgia as you yourself never actually got to enjoy it on the level said player did.

#13 Posted by Pedro (35601 posts) -

Some IPs are solely successful because of nostalgia.

#14 Edited by xantufrog (11683 posts) -

IMO, the purpose of games is just to have fun, and nostalgia is a reflection and source of joy for games. So it's fine. A game may have objective strengths and weaknesses, but it cannot be "objectively fun" - that's totally down to taste, and if nostalgia is a part of that then so be it. The player who wants it - for any reason - plays it and has fun, and those who do not want it do not play it and seek out fun elsewhere.

#15 Posted by dimebag667 (1302 posts) -

I just don't like when the "nostalgia" argument is invoked to undermine objective mechanics/graphics/story/etc, that worked better.

@DaVillain-: mentioned Halo CE and Halo 2. For me, CE is the pinnacle of Halo, and 2 is a disgusting abomination of the series...as are the rest in the series after CE. How could my love for CE be laid at the feet of nostalgia when I didn't like 2 (or the rest) at the time, and still play CE regularly? To clarify, I'm speaking exclusively about MP and not SP.

The point is that my feelings towards CE are subjective, but the differences between the entries are objective.

#16 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

Nostalgia, like most things, can be good or bad.

Good, because it can foster positive emotions for familiar things we enjoy. Nostalgia can also be used to demonstrate that we have learned what works and implement it again, a sort of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

However, nostalgia can also be bad. If used excessively, it is sort of low-hanging fruit, something that is easy to do and therefore lowers the quality and integrity of your game because you're not making an objectively quality product.

Overall I prefer fresh experiences, but it's nice to dip your toes in nostalgia once in while. I'm looking forward to the new Doom Eternal for that reason (nostalgia), but at the same time nostalgia is definitely skewing my appreciation towards the negative with Gears of War 5. It's a solid game, but honestly if you played any single Gears of War game, you've played them all.

@Ant_17 said:

Yeah, stagnation is a possibility when pandering to nostalgia. I imagine it's difficult for creators to resist the call at times because if something has worked well before it should work well again, but at the same time the industry might have evolved past that standard.

#17 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36576 posts) -

If It's Sony nostalgia, then It's good.

If It's Nintendo nostalgia, then It's bad.

Law of System Wars.

#18 Edited by madrocketeer (6662 posts) -

Looking back into the past is fine as long as it's done objectively, with a view of things in terms of both pros and cons, good and bad, merits and flaws.

Outright nostalgia, on the other hand, is something I consider to be a form of delusional utopianism. Taken too far, and it becomes something people can cling on to at the expense of everything else; advancement, innovation, improvement, and problem-solving become seen as an affront, a betrayal, a heresy. This ultimately disincentivise the aforementioned advancement, leading to stagnation.

Absolute stagnation equals effective regression.

#19 Posted by AJStyles (1073 posts) -

The problem is the vast majority of sheep are 30-40 year old man children. They legit still believe it is 1998 and believe Zelda OOT is the greatest game ever created.

It’s like they just stopped mentally developing and they are incapable of rating games fairly.

Nintendo fanboys are obsessed with nostalgia and they are willing to overlook Nintendo’s crappy games and give them automatic 11/10 scores because “magic” and “charm”.

There is nothing wrong with nostalgia in general, but the Nintendo fanboy lives in it. It’s freakishly scary how people can think like that.

I couldn’t imagine being stuck in 1998 all the time. They are missing out on so many better games on non-Nintendo consoles but whatever. Their loss.

#20 Posted by Willy105 (24873 posts) -

@ajstyles said:

They legit still believe it is 1998 and believe Zelda OOT is the greatest game ever created.

It's 2019 and Zelda BOTW is the greatest game ever created.

#21 Posted by foxhound_fox (98033 posts) -

*shrugs*

I currently have more interest in building a Pentium II 133/Voodoo 3DFX 3000/Soundblaster 16 Windows 98 PC complete with yellowed case/keyboard/mouse than building a new PC at this point.

Almost entirely for the nostalgia factor.

#22 Posted by Speeny (1958 posts) -

Good for me personally. The only thing that becomes a real letdown is when you have nostalgia for a specific game...go to replay it, only to find out that it's not as good as you remember.

Which luckily, hasn't happened with most games I've replayed.

#23 Edited by mojito1988 (3704 posts) -

I think I feel good when I feel Nostalgic about something so I would call it a very good thing for me. That applies not only to Video Games, but also for music, places I have been, or foods that I ate as a kid, yet have not tried in a long time.

I always find it amusing that a lot of people talk about feeling Nostalgic like it is a dirty word. It is weird really imo.

#24 Posted by DoomNukem3D (396 posts) -

Nostalgia is pretty much only bad when it blinds judgement or when companies use it to bank off crap. I can be nostalgic for something and still see its flaws.

#25 Edited by warmblur (2979 posts) -

I'm a very nostalgia person but for me I can replay a old game and admit when the gameplay has aged poorly. It's not like that in all cases some games I still have nostalgia for still hold up. All in all nostalgia is a good thing if done right for a new game.

#26 Posted by briguyb13 (3151 posts) -

How could anyone think it's bad?

#27 Posted by jaydan (2468 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Some IPs are solely successful because of nostalgia.

Okay, but to answer the thread's question, do you consider nostalgia a good or a bad thing? I think the general consensus here is nostalgia can go both ways of good and bad. I can agree with that. Can you give an example of a game/franchise that uses nostalgia in a positive manner and a game/franchise that uses it in a bad manner?

@xantufrog said:

IMO, the purpose of games is just to have fun, and nostalgia is a reflection and source of joy for games. So it's fine. A game may have objective strengths and weaknesses, but it cannot be "objectively fun" - that's totally down to taste, and if nostalgia is a part of that then so be it. The player who wants it - for any reason - plays it and has fun, and those who do not want it do not play it and seek out fun elsewhere.

Awesome, I love your take on it. The purpose of games should be to just have fun. I know some people take gaming as serious business, but in my opinion it's not healthy to be angry all the time and harassing people online.

At the end of the day games are supposed to be fun for the consumer and nostalgia can be a major mood enhancer, and that's not somebody else's place to talk about it in a negative manner when the consumer is in fact satisfied with their experience.

#28 Posted by Yams1980 (3600 posts) -

Nostalgia is a good feeling to have.

Only really bad if it comes down to recommending a game to someone cause my vision of an older game is very bias and I've lead many poor people astray from this.

#29 Posted by Pedro (35601 posts) -

@jaydan: Its more harmful than good. It allows companies to regurgitate the same formula without meaningful advancement to the formula. Some companies have mastered this so well that marginal improvements or inclusion of modern mechanics is looked upon as revolutionary.

Meanwhile, there are other games that suffer negatively from nostalgia because people remembered the game fondly but haven't come to terms with the reality that the original wasn't particularly good. Leaving them lost as to why the newer games just don't feel or play as good.

#30 Posted by PAL360 (29612 posts) -

Nostalgia is great. I love to play my old games, read my old mags, etc...

Blind nostalgia, like saying gaming used to be better, is ridiculous.

#31 Posted by dimebag667 (1302 posts) -

@PAL360:

Out of curiosity, what would be your main reasons for thinking gaming is better now than any other previous time? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I also don't think you're totally correct.

I personally miss lots of things like local/lan multiplayer, not having the internet for a crutch to figure puzzles/builds out, games that focused more on engaging gameplay instead of how they can squeeze every penny out of you, not waiting hours to install day one patches for games that aren't even fun after the patch, etc.

Current gaming has some great things as well, but I don't think they whole cloth override some of the past conventions.

#32 Edited by PAL360 (29612 posts) -

@dimebag667:

With all respect, but you are doing exactly the same as the people i was talking about :p You are bringing problems exclusive to AAA gaming, which is like 20% of what this industry has to offer these days.

The simple answer is diversity and level of polish.

Thanks to indies, we not only got a ton of dead genres back (2d platformers, point and click adventures, top down rpgs, etc), but also sub-genres that are completly new. Not only that, but we see a level of experimentarion i haven't seen since the ZX Spectrum days....but with a level of polish we would expect in 2019. No more gamebreaking glitches (even if there were, today they could be fixed by those 'infamous' patches), no more framerates of 10fps, no more 20 minutes story modes (just replayed Another World, one of my all time favourite games, and realised it lasts 15/20 minutes from start to finish), etc...

My favourite generation was always the 16bit one (healthy nostalgia), but the thing is that this gen i have played better 2d games than i used to when they were the only options. On the top of that, they come out one after another...we don't need to wait months for the next awesome game anymore.

Then there's VR. I spent the last 3 decades waiting for this level of immersion. It's finally here, it's affordable, and the best part, it's getting lots of support.

Finally AAA gaming. There are some terrible practices, but there always were. I remember some of my megadrive games to have screens of the superior arcade version in the backcover...or how Donkey Kong Country for Snes was promoted as a 32bit game in a 16bit machine...or companies like EA releasing yearly games with close to no new content every damn year since 94...or how i bought the PS2 because it was supposed to offer Toy Story graphics...or the whole lives/credits system, created for the arcades to make us use more and more coins... Just like in ANY past era, greedy practices exist, so it's up to us to be clever avoid them.

Even in the AAA market, if we ignore those 5 or 6 massive greedy companies (EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc...), you will realise that games have inoroved alot. Games are massive, full of content, and finally look like pixar movies. I have never bought a DLC or microtransaction in my life, and have 300+ quality hours in many of my modern games....and for the same price i used to pay for games with 30 minute campaigns, racing games with 1 car and 3 tracks, etc, like it used to be the norm in the 90s.

All in all, there are much more options these days. The trick is, and will always be the same. Ignore what does not matter (those greedy companies we all know about), and focus on everything else. And there are more 'everything else' now than there has ever been.

#33 Edited by Litchie (24303 posts) -
@speeny said:

Good for me personally.

Same. I made the Smash Melee menu music play in Smash Ultimate menus. Love it. :3

@speeny said:

The only thing that becomes a real letdown is when you have nostalgia for a specific game...go to replay it, only to find out that it's not as good as you remember.

Which luckily, hasn't happened with most games I've replayed.

I've done so many times, and I don't think I've ever been let down. Guess my game-memory is good. :P Come to think of it, though, I thought Super Metroid was shorter when I replayed it. Takes about 8 hours to complete. When I was a kid, that felt like a loooong time. But I play way longer games now, which is probably why it felt like a shorter game than I remembered. Still a freaking masterpiece though.

#34 Edited by dimebag667 (1302 posts) -

@PAL360:I appreciate the respect, and will extend it to you as well. You raise good points, and I do agree with some that you say, but I'm still not totally on-board with your indie utopia. Hopefully I can clearly explain why it's not just "blind nostalgia".

We'll start with your reasons that it's so much better now; Diversity and Polish.

It's undeniable that there are more games and more options of games now, but I personally can't see that it consistently translates to "better" games or experiences. What are the specific games that are tickling your fancy? Of the stuff I've played recently I liked the Guacamelees, Subnautica, Slain, The Swapper, Doom, Super Metroid, Murdered Soul Suspect, etc., but that's honestly about it. There are a few more here and there, but by and large I've had very little enjoyment from gaming this gen.

With polish I would agree that its way higher now (at least visually...and probably in other aspects), but like I said in my previous question, it seems to supersede the gameplay far too often. I personally see parallels of this in music as well. I'm always more interested in the music of a song vs the lyrics. So if the lyrics aren't great, I don't really mind as long as they complement the song in some way, but great lyrics paired with boring music means nothing to me. I can also see a comparison between the two avenues of entertainment currently. I have a similar feeling towards modern music as I do with gaming. On average for both I would say the low end has risen to where you get a higher average of quality overall, but the peaks have been rounded down. So we now have a more homologous pool which is boring.

You say Indies, but that seems to a very loose term anymore. How many developers in the company is the cut-off; 10, 20, 50? Are the development costs under $5 million? How do you define it? Now I completely agree that the lion's share of experimentation and innovation is coming from this sector, but too frequently (I can only go on what I've played) these games end up being glorified tech demos for their one original idea. I want a game that incorporates several of those ideas into a great game, but that's hard to do on a tight budget, so I'm left wanting either way I go.

AAA - Put up with practices I don't like, deal with safe mechanics that don't innovate

Indie - One note ideas, bargain bin experiences

Classically my bread and butter was the AA game...right in the middle, but those are all but dead in this world.

Another problematic area is that usage of a handful of engines has given rise to many games have the same look and feel which is terrible IMO...but that goes for both camps.

You say "no more game breaking glitches" because of patches, but I'm of two minds on this.

1. I've rarely experienced a game-breaking glitch, past or present

2. It's hard patch out the glitch when the game isn't complete before the patch

I really don't mind patches when they're used to fix a problem, or keep cheaters at bay, but the practice of putting out incomplete games with the expectation they'll be fixed later is beyond acceptable in my book.

I'm probably just accustomed to lower framerates, but I generally prefer 30 locked over 60 or higher. Having the option for both seems like to best solution in my "eyes". You "see" what I did there :)...I'm sorry

You beat Out of this World in -20 minutes? Haha, I've never gotten much further than breaking out the cage. Bravo Sir! But how long did it take you to figure out how to beat it with such a great time? Did you just look it up or was it from trial and error? With your love of diversity, why aren't games with this structure not allowed in modern gaming?

VR is something I still have high hopes for, but I haven't played enough fun stuff to jump onboard. The stuff I have played ranges from neat to nauseating. But I do really feel like a lot of what I want is behind the googles...I just don't want to get sick every time I play.

Now with AAA, why do all your negatives have to be mutually exclusive to all my positives? Wouldn't it be better to incorporate the positives of new and old to form a more perfect landscape? I don't think every aspect of modern gaming is terrible, but its also not all roses either.

Your negatives:

Yes, false advertising has no place

Yes, EA regurgitation has always been terrible

Eh, toy story graphics no, but leaps and bounds over ps1, yes

Eh, yes some games were just money sinks, but being in an arcade gave me some of the best gaming experiences of my life. I have no problem paying a reasonable price for a unique experience.

I agree that the value proposition now is way better that a lot of what the past offered, but sometimes it goes too far. Now it seems like everyone expects everything for free, or damn near. If someone doesn't have 300+ games in there steam library they aren't a real person. Maybe your childhood differed from mine, but on average I only owned 5-7 games on nes, snes, etc. The undervaluing of game prices has inflated perceived gamership to explosive levels. I would like to see how many "gamers" would run for the hills if FTP and digital downloads died, and they had to drive to a store and pay $80 for a game. That's what I paid for MKII on snes and it was totally worth it. The games of the past that I praise are the ones I would be willing to do this for. For the rest, we had rental stores where we could try this stuff out. Now you can do that to a point on steam (but they yell at you if you do it too much), and redbox gives you a severely gimped version of this, but most of those games are the AAA trash neither of us want anyway...so what's the point?

You say avoid the bad and support the rest, but frequently I find the rest is bad as well. So where do I go? This song comes to mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFFgayhYnXI It baffles me that there are way more options than ever before, and yet somehow I have less options.

I don't know what "inoroved" means :) I'm assuming innovated?

I don't mind you enjoying current games, and I certainly wouldn't want to take it from you, but I am tired of people saying that all the past joy I had with gaming pales in comparison to what's currently available. Or that the joy I felt in the past is just a mirage, and it wasn't really that great. BS! Easy example; I would take Halo CE with 4 boxes, 4 tvs, and 15 friends over any comparable FPS of the past 15 years...hands down!

At the end of the day I think we both want the same thing...good games. The question is how to get there. All I know is that I would rather work on that together rather than pulling in opposite directions.

#35 Posted by WitIsWisdom (5357 posts) -

Nostalgia is not inherently good or bad.

#36 Edited by PAL360 (29612 posts) -

@dimebag667:

Fair enough. I think that the key aspect here is the fact we are different persons with different priorities and preferences.

To make it 'quick', i'll focus on the main aspect i disagree with: You seem to not be giving a chance or looking for many of the options we have available. You said we don't have games like Another World, but that's exactly the kind of games Limbo, Inside, etc are...you say we don't have AA games anymore, but Divinity OS, They are Billions, Pillars of Eternity, etc are fantastic AAs, and regarding indies, you really seem to have tried a few popular ones, and assume that the rest are not worth it. Man, i have played over a hundred of quality ones, and the list of ones i haven't played due to lack of time is even bigger. Here are some fantastic games i bought this gen (some based in research, others blindly):

Guacamelee 1 and 2

Helldivers: Democracy Strikes Back

Life is Strange

Limbo

Resogun

Rocket League

Rogue Legacy

Spelunky

SteamWorld Dig 1 and 2

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Transistor

Valiant Hearts

Velocity 2X

Axiom Verge

Cursed Castilla (Maldita Castilla)

Enter the Gungeon

Firewatch

Inside

Nex Machina

Shovel Knight

Sonic Mania Plus

The Witness

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

The Messenger

The Sexy Brutale

Oxenfree

Aven Colony

Skyforce Reloaded

Celeste

Owlboy

Dead Cells

Hollow Knight

Yoku's Island Express

Deponia games

Thimbleweed Park

This is a small part of my PS4 library (from the top of my head), yet here i have more quality games than i had in the Megadrive + Snes + Amiga 500 combined. And i'm talking about my all time favourite generation, and gaming platform (A500).

I'm not saying that all these games are factually amazing, but they are at least as good as similar games and genres i used to love back in their day. The difference, like i said in the previous post, is that they are everywhere and cost much less that they used to. Seriously, the simple fact i can go at any time to a store and find 200 games at less than 10 euros each, would have been a wet dream when i was a kid or teen.

I just feel that almost everything i wanted for this industry in multiple phases of my life, is available now. I have been waiting for a game like No Man's Sky since i played Frontier Elite 2. Now i have a ton of them to choose from. I always wanted to be able to create my own games without learning programming. Now i have apps to do it in a fun way (just released my latest dreams project, by the way: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a3CaLdYBh_c&t=89s ), VR to be accessible. Well, it's here and it's better than my most optimistic predictions. The list goes on, and on.

You said you don't like when people say that enjoying the past is blind nostalgia, but i'm clearly not that guy. You will not easily find anyone more nostalgic than me. I spend hours playing my old games, watching youtube reviews of classics i love, re-reading my mags, and i'm aware that many old games are still as fun as i remember. Games like Super Mario Bros 3, Super Castlevania 4, Streets of Rage 2, Kid Chameleon, Halo CE (your excelent example), etc, ate still some of the best in their genres! I just accept that games with that level of quality and much more common now, and take advantage of it.

I do agree that some of the 'magic' of gaming in the early years has gone, but that has more to do with the fact everything was new, more expensive, we were younger, etc, than the state of the industry itself. I honestly can't blame the fact we may have less wow moments, if that's the result of having 'too many' quality options.

Anyway, you have your opinion, which i do respect, and i have mine. You are completly free to dislike current games or practices due to your personal reasons and gaming preferences. I'm just glad i'm not in the skin of people who can't enjoy such a fantastic (in my opinion) era in gaming :P

#37 Posted by dimebag667 (1302 posts) -

@PAL360:You nailed it man. It does suck not being able to enjoy what everyone else does, but I guess that's just how it goes. I'm probably just at the age of diminishing returns where it's so hard to impress me since I've seen so much. Maybe I can get into basket weaving or something:)

I've probably played less than half of those games, and I've liked less than half of that half as well as they deserve. If I'm looking for a darker, more mature tone, which of those would you recommend?

The main part that sucks is that I know what I want, but don't have the discipline to sit down and create. I commend you for doing that. At least you're adding something to the world.

Well, you made good points and did it with tact, so I have nothing but respect for you man. Take it easy

#38 Posted by PAL360 (29612 posts) -

@dimebag667 said:

@PAL360:You nailed it man. It does suck not being able to enjoy what everyone else does, but I guess that's just how it goes. I'm probably just at the age of diminishing returns where it's so hard to impress me since I've seen so much. Maybe I can get into basket weaving or something:)

I've probably played less than half of those games, and I've liked less than half of that half as well as they deserve. If I'm looking for a darker, more mature tone, which of those would you recommend?

The main part that sucks is that I know what I want, but don't have the discipline to sit down and create. I commend you for doing that. At least you're adding something to the world.

Well, you made good points and did it with tact, so I have nothing but respect for you man. Take it easy

I think this part is related to Dreams, right? Being creative has always been part of my life. I'm an industrial designer and always loved to draw and make cartoons.......but Dreams is a platform for everyone. You will find there everything, from terrible to awesome. The important thing is the fact everyone, talented or not, are having fun creating :)

Gaming recommendations are harder considering we probably like different genres. Divinity Original Sin 2 has a mature story and is based in the PC RPGs from the 90s. Hollow Knight is a metroidvania, but with a 'darker' tone, and brilliant map design and pacing. They are Billions feels like Warcraft and Starcraft, but with a darker tone and pretty fun survival mechanics. In the AAA area, DOOM16 is one of the best singleplayer shooters i played in years. If you tell me some of your favourite classics i'll try to find similar modern versions.

And thanks for your post :)

#39 Posted by dimebag667 (1302 posts) -

@PAL360: My standout favorites would be:

Link to the past

Super Metroid

Super Mario World

Super Mario Bros 3

FF IV

Mortal Kombat 1-3, 9

Alone in the dark 1&2

Wolfenstein: Spear of destiny

Legend of Kyrandia

Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness

Resident Evil 1&2, 2 remake

FF IX

Twisted Metal 1& black

Wipeout

Doom

Street fighter 2 (super, turbo, etc)

Diablo 2

Timesplitters

Socom 2

Need for speed: underground

Psychonauts

Armored Core 2&3

Rumble Racing

Galaga

Uncharted 1&2

God of War 3

Burnout Paradise

Flower

COD 1,2,4, World at war Black Ops

Battlefield 3, 1943

Warhawk

Gauntlet Legends

Demon's Souls

Fallout 3

Batman Arkham Asylum

Hotline Miami

Sports Friends

Sleeping Dogs

Vanquish

Trine

Katamari Forever

Red dead redemption

Heavy Rain

Tales of monkey island

Bejeweled 2

Peggle

Chivalry

Natural selection 2

Insurgency

Pixeljunk monsters

Worms

Pain

Savage moon

Super Sonic acrobatic rocket powered battle cars

Super stardust hd

XCOM: enemy unknown

That's probably too wide a swath, but you'll have plenty to go on :)

#40 Posted by hiphops_savior (8474 posts) -

@jaydan: You can't live off nostalgia, but you can recapture the nostalgic feeling while fixing the mistakes made in the past.

#42 Edited by PAL360 (29612 posts) -

@dimebag667: That's a big list! From the games you posted, it seems to me that you like almost every genre except (probably) point and click adventures and story driven games (the ones kids call walking simulator these days).

Considering that, i would expect you to like most games i the list i posted above, with the exception of Life is Strange, Firewatch and Oxenfree. But since you have tried some of them and didn't like, i honestly don't know how to help!

Maybe you should try to ignore a few aspects you hate about modernity, not just in gaming, and focus on the positives. It doesn't matter if a million guys are paying for microtransactions in the other side of the world, if you are enjoying your personal experience at your place.

When i'm playing a modern indie game like Dead Cells or Monster Boy, i always travel to my childhood, but i understand that not everyone shares the same ability to 'dream' while awake.

I would recomend you to watch vids of some of the games i posted, and not pay full price for any of them. You can't regret paying 8 or 10 euros for a disappointing game, but it feels great when that cheap game ends up being amazing :)

#43 Posted by dimebag667 (1302 posts) -

@PAL360: I love point and click adventure...I listed 3 I think. And I don't mind the idea of walking Sims (if done well; journey) but I did not like life is strange or firewatch.

Haha, yeah that list is a bit ridiculous, but I wanted you have a good pool to pick from. I've seen most of the games you mentioned, and some are on my steam wishlist, but some I just know I won't like. I'm old enough to have a decent grasp on that. But I'm not infallible, so I'd be willing to try a couple. What are your absolute favorite 3 of this gen?

I think that Empire of Sin game looks pretty good.

#44 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8701 posts) -

@jaydan said:
@Ant_17 said:

Nostalgia has nothing to do with the evolution of the gaming industry. Nostalgia is not a tech service or anything like that.

It is highly possible a game can be nostalgic yet forward-thinking with its own evolution as a franchise.

Good example of this is Zelda BoTW. I can't even begin to list the modernized 'nods' to its past. Many of them involve game mechanics and even things like music/aesthetics. It would take forever to list everything, but yes. I would *not* consider how they implemented these "abuse" of nostalgia.