Is Nintendo really out of touch? Or are they adapting to wider industry change?

• 76 results
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

First, sorry that this is so long, but it kinda needs to be.

So now that I've had time to think about everything that happened yesterday, and get over my initial disappointment, I've been thinking, everyone is saying Nintendo is out of touch, because they are going against the traditional set routines that the industry forced upon itself almost 30 years ago, but is that really the case?

The video game's industry is the only one in the world where it appears to be frowned upon to release a product at any time other than the Holiday season. This to me seems dumb, long gone are the days of game consoles only been bought as christmas presents for kids. These days the industry is largely targeted towards adults, people who actually have disposable income and aren't restricted to only buying things at one specific time of the year. If something comes out that they want, they're going to buy it, regardless of what time of the year it is.

So why is it wrong that Nintendo are targeting a traditionally quieter time of the year, instead of cramming yet another product into the overcrowded Christmas market? In truth, it's not. Releasing in March gives Nintendo, and potentially 3rd parties, more time to work on games to insure that the system doesn't follow the 3DS and Wii U in terms of initial software droughts. It also means that when they hit their first holiday in 2017, they'll already have an established library of games, and word of mouth about how good/bad the system is will have already started spreading by then. It's certainly better than launching in November with nothing, and getting a ton of negative press for Five months until they finally start getting games. March/April is also tax return time, so people actually have a little extra spending money for things like this.

Then we have the whole E3 thing, which I'm still disappointed about, but when looking at it, E3 is losing it's relevance. Nintendo stopped caring about E3 Five years ago when they switched to Nintendo Direct's over traditional press conferences, this is just another step in that direction. They are also not the only ones who are putting less relevance on E3, EA and Activision have both abandoned E3 this year, in favor of their own private events, and even Sony and Microsoft have taken to hosting their own events throughout the year. E3 is a shadow of it's former self, and with Twitch, YouTube, Twitter ect their are so many more effective ways to get your messages across to people about what you're offering, and you can do it on your own terms, instead of having to wait for a specific week in June. Don't be surprised if we don't have many more E3's, because it's just not efficient anymore.

The industry has changed. We have consoles coming out mid-generation, we have events throughout the year, and now we're getting hardware launches at times other than October/November. Nothing about this is bad, and if anything it means Nintendo is a lot more in touch with the rest of the industry than we thought, and are embracing the fact it's changing, and are even forging new paths for it themselves.

It's so incredibly ironic, that gamers over the years have given Nintendo and the industry in general a hard time for been stuck in their ways, and now that they're branching out in new ways, the same gamers are crying about said changes.

The games industry has needed this for a long time, adapt with it, or stay behind, it's your choice.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

With the mobile games they are doing/allowing it seems they are adapting, but with their hardware/online and 3rd party needs they are out of touch.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@Heil68: With Wii U sure. But for NX we know they've hired a firm from outside Nintendo to handle the online side of the system. Also, if rumors are to be believed, 3rd parties really like the NX.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@spike6958 said:

These days the industry is largely targeted towards adults, people who actually have disposable income and aren't restricted to only buying things at one specific time of the year. If something comes out that they want, they're going to buy it, regardless of what time of the year it is.

And therein lies the problem: Nintendo targets children.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

They are pretty out of touch. They always seem to be ignoring what people actually want...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@skektek said:
@spike6958 said:

These days the industry is largely targeted towards adults, people who actually have disposable income and aren't restricted to only buying things at one specific time of the year. If something comes out that they want, they're going to buy it, regardless of what time of the year it is.

Like they always have? Besides their work with Rare in the N64 era (Perfect Dark), Nintendo trying to aim for the Mature crowd NEVER works, which is part of the reason why even well praised games like Eternal Darkness and Bayonetta 2 get shunned.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

They have been out of touch and I've lost my patience with them with their consoles. I hope the NX turns out well but I am sick and tired of droughts.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Well, if third parties were working on say the next Madden 17, FIFA 17, next COD, FFXV, or any other multiplat slated for end of year 2016, those games are going to look funny as NX launch titles months after their initial release. That isn't to say there won't be more relevant multiplats at the time of the NX's release but if any third party with dev kits were working on games slated for a late 2016 release then those titles aren't going to stand a good chance for NX gamers holding out and being willing to pay top dollar for them.

I don't think third parties will come flocking like they think, so if Nintendo needs to hold out to work out a line-up of first party games like Pikmin 4 or a NX ports of latest Smash or Mario Kart of Splatoon.... well, probably better they're at least prepared. That's part of my disappointment with Wii U, Nintendo made it thinking third parties would come flocking and they didn't have the first party titles lined-up. They're probably not going to repeat that mistake if it can be avoided.

Anyhow, yeah they're out of touch in other ways, like being late to the party accepting gamers want things like game/party chat, unified accounts, cross-platform game sharing (something they still haven't done and would be nice with say those VC titles). Though, this might be more related with them not wanting to invest the money to develop the online infrastructure needed to handle all this like MS/Sony have put into XBL/PSN. Then again Nintendo isn't out there to lose money, something both MS and Sony weren't aiming for, certainly loosing tons of money over the last decade in attempt to establish market dominance.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@skektek said:
@spike6958 said:

Like they always have? Besides their work with Rare in the N64 era (Perfect Dark), Nintendo trying to aim for the Mature crowd NEVER works, which is part of the reason why even well praised games like Eternal Darkness and Bayonetta 2 get shunned.

And that is why they are out of touch.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#10 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I think Nintendo learned from the WiiU, but at the same time don't know how to go about it.

They know what they did with the WiiU was wrong and they need to change their game plan.

They probably looked more into the 3DS and asked why that system was so much more successful than the WiiU. Then they probably looked into the Wii and asked why that sold so well when it did.

Their answer was Zelda, and They probably figured that March 2017 was when that game was going to be finished so while they would LIKE for NX to be released in the holiday season of 2016 (they are ready for it) They delayed the system release so They could have a Zelda at launch therefore increasing the maximum sales value of the system.

A Shame that it's pushing the WiiU under the bus and making it the First ever Nintendo system to not have an Official Zelda title of it's own (unless you consider Hyrule Warriors it's own Zelda title).

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

They seem out of touch these days.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@speak_low: Dont you find it strange Sony is leading in home consoles but will be the first to release another console. If i were Nintendo i would do the same, its a weird move from Sony, so its best to see how the market reacts to PS4K.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts
@aigis said:

They are pretty out of touch. They always seem to be ignoring what people actually want...

^ This... I feel they are always trying to tell you, this is how you should play ...or this is the game they want you to play...and if you don't like it - "it your fault" ...or "you don't understand it what they are trying to do". Kinda like Metroid Federation ..."oh we hear you want Metroid" ..so here's Metroid Federation ...we feel people need to try it first..etc. Of course when their product fail its always the "the consumers didn't understand their product". :P

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Out of touch since 1996.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@spike6958 said:

First, sorry that this is so long, but it kinda needs to be.

So now that I've had time to think about everything that happened yesterday, and get over my initial disappointment, I've been thinking, everyone is saying Nintendo is out of touch, because they are going against the traditional set routines that the industry forced upon itself almost 30 years ago, but is that really the case?

The video game's industry is the only one in the world where it appears to be frowned upon to release a product at any time other than the Holiday season. This to me seems dumb, long gone are the days of game consoles only been bought as christmas presents for kids. These days the industry is largely targeted towards adults, people who actually have disposable income and aren't restricted to only buying things at one specific time of the year. If something comes out that they want, they're going to buy it, regardless of what time of the year it is.

So why is it wrong that Nintendo are targeting a traditionally quieter time of the year, instead of cramming yet another product into the overcrowded Christmas market? In truth, it's not. Releasing in March gives Nintendo, and potentially 3rd parties, more time to work on games to insure that the system doesn't follow the 3DS and Wii U in terms of initial software droughts. It also means that when they hit their first holiday in 2017, they'll already have an established library of games, and word of mouth about how good/bad the system is will have already started spreading by then. It's certainly better than launching in November with nothing, and getting a ton of negative press for Five months until they finally start getting games. March/April is also tax return time, so people actually have a little extra spending money for things like this.

Then we have the whole E3 thing, which I'm still disappointed about, but when looking at it, E3 is losing it's relevance. Nintendo stopped caring about E3 Five years ago when they switched to Nintendo Direct's over traditional press conferences, this is just another step in that direction. They are also not the only ones who are putting less relevance on E3, EA and Activision have both abandoned E3 this year, in favor of their own private events, and even Sony and Microsoft have taken to hosting their own events throughout the year. E3 is a shadow of it's former self, and with Twitch, YouTube, Twitter ect their are so many more effective ways to get your messages across to people about what you're offering, and you can do it on your own terms, instead of having to wait for a specific week in June. Don't be surprised if we don't have many more E3's, because it's just not efficient anymore.

The industry has changed. We have consoles coming out mid-generation, we have events throughout the year, and now we're getting hardware launches at times other than October/November. Nothing about this is bad, and if anything it means Nintendo is a lot more in touch with the rest of the industry than we thought, and are embracing the fact it's changing, and are even forging new paths for it themselves.

It's so incredibly ironic, that gamers over the years have given Nintendo and the industry in general a hard time for been stuck in their ways, and now that they're branching out in new ways, the same gamers are crying about said changes.

The games industry has needed this for a long time, adapt with it, or stay behind, it's your choice.

Firstly, there's not a huge difference in launching between the end of November and March in terms of how that will affect their software output. You can't create games in four months, and it's not like they'd suffer massive droughts at Xmas but not four months later. Secondly, I don't really care about them launching in March. If that's when they see it as prudent, so be it. But I couldn't disagree more that the NX shouldn't be at E3, or even that E3 is irrelevant. People seem to think that E3 is just about news. It's also about making a statement, a statement that Nintendo desperately needs to make right now. To get out there and build attention, to get hype and interest going. I'm sorry, you cannot achieve that through Directs as good as you would be able to through E3.

I just made this in another thread so I'l C & P segments of it here:

What does Nintendo gain by downplaying E3? They need to take advantage of every opportunity to show the NX soon. What's the sense to not be there.....to save a little bit of money? Is more press all of a sudden bad? To argue that E3 is losing relevance is really irrelevant, because it's still a means of exposure. Nintendo's in a situation currently where they have no momentum going from a system sitting dead in the water. People are skeptical, many are pissed, feel let down, or betrayed. The negative mindshare and doubt surrounding Nintendo right now is at an all-time high. We need something to assure us, and E3 is a golden ticket. That they're bypassing it is nothing but foolishness. This is not the time to remain silent.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 emgesp

@nintendoboy16 said:
@skektek said:
@spike6958 said:

Its because they half ass their attempts. For every one mature game on a Nintendo console they have 10 kiddy games.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 emgesp

@iandizion713 said:

@speak_low: Dont you find it strange Sony is leading in home consoles but will be the first to release another console. If i were Nintendo i would do the same, its a weird move from Sony, so its best to see how the market reacts to PS4K.

Was it weird that Microsoft released the 360 Elite only 1 - 2 yrs after the initial launch?

The PS4 Neo isn't replacing the OG PS4. You guys keep trying to act like the PS4 Neo is a true successor to the original PS4, it isn't.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: Yeah but were talking a worlds most powerful console completely replacing a worlds most powerful home console. PS4 will no longer be the worlds most powerful console, its will just be a weaker version of PS4K. A fitting fate for the worlds most powerful console.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By emgesp

@iandizion713 said:

@emgesp: Yeah but were talking a worlds most powerful console completely replacing a worlds most powerful home console. PS4 will no longer be the worlds most powerful console, its will just be a weaker version of PS4K. A fitting fate for the worlds most powerful console.

OMG, it isn't completely replacing the OG PS4. They are going to coexist. What the hell don't you understand about this? Same games will run on both consoles and the OG PS4 will continue to be in production for the foreseeable future.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: I mean replacing its worlds most powerful title. PS4 is nothing but a weaker version of PS4K right now. Its strange for Sony to be doing this to their fanbase. Why not release a more expensive console day one?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

It boils down to this. The past two generations, Nintendo hasn't been asking a soul what they want in a videogame console. They think they just put lightning in a bottle at every turn and the problem is that it's not working.

Sure, the Wii sold monstrously fast, but it also died equally quickly. The WiiU never even went anywhere. They've been doing precisely what everyone and their pet dog accused Sony of doing.. Pretending they are Apple and essentially telling loyal customers they've had for decades that what Nintendo says goes. Big N's way or the highway.

And here we are in 2016. Rumor mill swirling with news that the WiiU is going to be a four-and-out console like the original XBox but we aren't wondering how powerful the NX will be at the end of the day. We're wondering what gimmicks the console will give the console it's identity. Anyone telling you different is on that Kool-aid. I, for one, find it increasingly difficult to get excited when the last two whizz bang features on the last two consoles choked the life out of them for me, as a gamer.

If Nintendo knew how they come across totally to their customers, you'd find them being more open and communicative. The bottom line is that they are going to put their wannabe apple pants on again with NX and I would be shocked if any good comes of it. Also, marching into E3 season touting one game is about as tone deaf as it gets.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iandizion713

@Shewgenja: Nintendo shouldnt be asking others how to design a console, they are the creators not us. They should be telling us what we want.

And yes, here we are in 2016, funny, cause critics said Wii U would die in 2015, cheers to another great year of Wii U, the legacy continues.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shewgenja

@iandizion713: and one day it will Dawn on you that there weren't enough people with that attitude to save the WiiU.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iandizion713

@Shewgenja: And one day it will dawn on you that 13 million did save the Wii U. And they played the games and had fun. Entitlement has no place in the video game industry, this is a place of art, and that art must remain pure to survive.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@iandizion713 said:

@Shewgenja: Nintendo shouldnt be asking others how to design a console, they are the creators not us. They should be telling us what we want.

And yes, here we are in 2016, funny, cause critics said Wii U would die in 2015, cheers to another great year of Wii U, the legacy continues.

Problem is people know what they want when they see if. Obviously their market research was out of touch with reality, just like with Microsoft.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iandizion713

@ten_pints: And that is a problem with the market and a mistake Nintendo has made again. Its one theyll continue to work on. Its not easy to gauge the market, as Sony found out with Vita, and as many others continue to find out.

Its clear to Nintendo the Gamepad was a mistake, but its one they have to live with. And if they go the Iphone route, its one they can even repair.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Nintendo is completely out of touch with reality and has been for well over a decade now. This is why they have IGNORED online play two consecutive generations in a row now even though online play has become a staple and arguably THE major focus of the industry.

Not only that, but while third parties have become the major forces in the industry, Ninty has gotten almost NO third party support for two gens now, mainly because they just keep making their consoles way different from their competitors, leave their consoles much weaker than their competitors, therefore making it a PAIN for third parties to bring their games to Ninty's consoles.

Oh and their insistence on being purely kid focused flies in the face of the gaming crowd getting older and older. This point they have at LEAST done a tad better on by bringing in Bayonetta and doing Zombii-U on the Wii-U, but that is far too little still when the market is dominated by mature games.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

lol

:P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nintendoboy16

@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@skektek said:
@spike6958 said:

Its because they half ass their attempts. For every one mature game on a Nintendo console they have 10 kiddy games.

Well gee, I can't imagine why. Not like their "kiddy" games are their biggest hits or anything.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#31  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2563 Posts

The thing here is that Nintendo ain't making a good job promoting its products and leaving aside big events like the E3 is just hurting them more. Nintendo doesn't need to convince its fans, those fans will buy the NX regardless no matter what ends up being; they need to get new consumers either by getting newcomers or "steal" some from its competitors. Nintendo is just isolating itself by making its event alone and its marketing campaigns have failed to catch the attention of a wider audience.

The NX will have a really hard time to be successful, It has to have awesome specs and be cheap to compete with the PS4 and Xbox One and their installed user base.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shewgenja

@iandizion713: Time will tell. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any innovation. Hell, Nintendo was on board with VR very prematurely. I commend them for having a vision of the future, now the question remains, will they actually do something about it when the world catches up?

Or, very unartist-like, will they abandon even their own vision and creation just to fit square pegs into round holes hoping for a big seller?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Both. They're out of touch to make games like color splash and federation force, but they're obviously changing strategies. Whether they pull the latter off remains to be seen.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 emgesp

@iandizion713 said:

@emgesp: I mean replacing its worlds most powerful title. PS4 is nothing but a weaker version of PS4K right now. Its strange for Sony to be doing this to their fanbase. Why not release a more expensive console day one?

Are you saying back in 2013 when the PS4 originally released? Simple because Sony couldn't sell a console with Neo specs for $399.99 in 2013. It would have been like $499.99+

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By emgesp

@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@skektek said:

Well gee, I can't imagine why. Not like their "kiddy" games are their biggest hits or anything.

Not every one of their kiddy games is a hit.

Pokemon, Smash, Mario Kart, 3D Mario and Zelda are really their only true hits left.

They need Mature hits as well if they want none Nintendo fans interested in their consoles. That's all I'm trying to get at.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp said:
@iandizion713 said:

Are you saying back in 2013 when the PS4 originally released? Simple because Sony couldn't sell a console with Neo specs for $399.99 in 2013. It would have been like $499.99+

So instead of me paying $499 for a console on day one to have the worlds most power console, now i have to spend $700+ to have the worlds most powerful console. Well hot damn, i should a built a PC.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nintendoboy16
@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Pokemon, Smash, Mario Kart, 3D Mario and Zelda are really their only true hits left.

They need Mature hits as well if they want none Nintendo fans interested in their consoles. That's all I'm trying to get at.

Um, Splatoon? A new IP? You really didn't add that? Also, what about Kirby? Pretty sure he's still pretty popular, otherwise they'd be putting that series alongside Metroid and F-Zero.

Oh and NOW you call a Smash a kid friendly game?

Them getting Mature hits will NEVER happen, no matter how much they produce, or money-hat third parties to do it. Whether it's their own fault, or the fact that Mature gamers condemned them since the 2000's, so there's no freaking point in Nintendo trying anymore. They're better off taking risks elsewhere and Splatoon is evidence of this.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By emgesp

@iandizion713 said:
@emgesp said:
@iandizion713 said:

So instead of me paying $499 for a console on day one to have the worlds most power console, now i have to spend $700+ to have the worlds most powerful console. Well hot damn, i should a built a PC.

Who says you have to buy the Neo?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: Im saying if i want the worlds most powerful console i do. Sony has put the consumer in a tough spot.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By emgesp

@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:

Um, Splatoon? A new IP? You really didn't add that? Also, what about Kirby? Pretty sure he's still pretty popular, otherwise they'd be putting that series alongside Metroid and F-Zero.

Them getting Mature hits will NEVER happen, no matter how much they produce, or money-hat third parties to do it. Whether it's their own fault, or the fact that Mature gamers condemned them since the 2000's, so there's no freaking point in Nintendo trying anymore. They're better off taking risks elsewhere and Splatoon is evidence of this.

Sorry, was just thinking about their established IP's. Splatoon is not an established franchise yet and we have no idea how well a sequel will sell compared to the original game.

Kirby doesn't sell jack shit.

Smash is most definitely a kid friendly game. Did you not bother to check the rating because its rated E for Everyone.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: Kirby Triple Deluxe sold very good. Kirby usually always sells solid. Also, Kirby is big in Japan.

Theres two things a child learns in life in Japan. Hello Kitty is cute, and Kirby is fun.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 emgesp

@iandizion713 said:

@emgesp: Kirby Triple Deluxe sold very good. Kirby usually always sells solid. Also, Kirby is very big in Japan.

Theres two things a child learns in life in Japan. Hello kitty is cute, and Kirby is fun.

1.7 million sold on an install base of 50+ million is not very good.

Also, I was pretty sure we were talking about Nintendo's home consoles. Kirby for the Wii U didn't even sell 700K.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nintendoboy16
@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:

Sorry, was just thinking about their established IP's. Splatoon is not an established franchise yet and we have no idea how well a sequel will sell compared to the original game.

Smash is most definitely a kid friendly game. Its rated E or did you not bother to check the rating?

So Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) selling 1.78 million (a rate it's always sold) is "jack shit" now?

Hey, in another argument we had many threads ago, you got defensive when I said that Smash appealed to kids and you went and showed me young adults in Smash Tournaments like it's some sort of definitive statement.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: What, that is very good, thats almost 2 million. Look at Bloodborne. Yeah, Rainbow Curse didnt do well, but neither did Canvas Curse, its a niche game. A Triple Deluxe type game on Wii U would have sold better then the .50 million Rainbow Curse did.

Which, by the way, Kirby Canvas Curse sold only .70 million out of 150 million DS owners.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 emgesp

@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@emgesp said:

Smash is most definitely a kid friendly game. Its rated E or did you not bother to check the rating?

So Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) selling 1.78 million (a rate it's always sold) is "jack shit" now?

Hey, in another argument we had many threads ago, you got defensive when I said that Smash appealed to kids and you went and showed me young adults in Smash Tournaments like it's some sort of definitive statement.

Kirby Wii U (500K) are we going to act like that is great numbers?

Smash is kid friendly, but Nintendo's most loyal hardcore fan base are in their 20's and 30's.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By emgesp

@iandizion713 said:

@emgesp: What, that is very good, thats almost 2 million. Look at Bloodborne. Yeah, Rainbow Curse didnt do well, but neither did Canvas Curse, its a niche game. A triple deluxe type game on Wii U would have sold better then the .50 million Rainbow Curse did.

Which, by the way, Kirby Canvas Curse sold only .70 million out of 150 million DS owners.

When you look at the install base of the 3DS compared to the number of units Kirby sold its not at all impressive.

Bloodborne is irrelevant to me but I would say the reason why those sales are more impressive is because of the PS4's smaller install base compared to the 3DS. Also, Bloodborne is a new IP where as Kirby is an established franchise.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: Yeah, but Bloodborne was a hyped game with crazy advertising. Kirby is a game that dont need advertised or hyped. Nintendo just dropped Kirby Rainbow Curse out and called it a day. Then they walked back to check on it and to their surprise had sold .50 million.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 emgesp

@iandizion713 said:

@emgesp: Yeah, but Bloodborne was a hyped game with crazy advertising. Kirby is a game that dont need advertised or hyped. Nintendo just dropped Kirby Rainbow Curse out and called it a day. Then they walked back to check on it and to their surprise had sold .50 million.

I don't remember seeing crazy advertising for Bloodborne, but again Bloodborne is a new IP and it outsold Kirby that's been an established franchise since the 90's.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: Sony spent a fortune on Bloodborne. It was the only major release at that time. And although it was a new IP, it looked the same as Souls games. Kirby Rainbow Curse on the other hand is a very niche game from a series that sold .70 million out of 150 million DSs.