deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

It's not major news, but MS has 800 million Windows 10 devices, which is near their 1 billion devices goal. Back in the day, it was clear that Xbox ran off Bill Gates' ego, but now don't get what they're doing.

They sit around dreaming about 200 million Xbox One sales, but can't even get 50 million in 5 years while their Windows 10 store where they sell games is essentially the weakest/lamest store in gaming. If they spent little time making it better it could be a store people actually like to shop at on Windows 10.

They spend all this time making video games and what do they do with them, put them all on Steam while Epic is paying big money just to get a little exclusivity even if for a month or so, you know, actually trying to compete with Steam, doing more in a few months than Win10 done in years.

Why is MS sitting around dreaming of putting Xbox Games on mobile, when Surface is one hell of a product, and if they made a phone half as good, they could put their Xbox games on it. Certainly with great hardware, their Operating System and own stores, they could be the a big name in phone building and big publisher on mobile stores.

I get console business is good, and that Gold money is probably too good to leave behind, but damn, is making Xbox consoles really worth it? I don't mind them building them, but not when Win10 is shit and can't even make a good phone.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

I wonder why I read this crap!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

@rrjim1: Probably cause you don't understand, or don't actually read anything anyone says, but pretend to.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

@rrjim1 said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Absolutely. They're half-assing it and getting totally dominated by Sony. That's a bad combination.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

I don't get what you're saying. 800m windows 10 devices, 40m of which are xbox...and they should just give up on the income that xbox gives them, and rely on the income they already get from a better windows store?

What would the advantage be of that?

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@saltslasher: Simple answer: Its profitable!

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

Blah, Blah, Blah. Tell me something, if you had a business that was profitable, maybe not as profitable as the competion, but customers and shareholders were happy. Would you drop your product just because it's not the top seller?

No, of course you wouldn't!

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#9 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Competition is healthy. I think it's always positive for us, gamers, to have companies investing in our favourite hobby, even if they are not doing the best job.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

The Xbox brand has beeen a complete flop. It’s only been around so long because investors forget it even exists and they hide the poor sales in their “entertainment” or whatever division.

It will continue to “just be there” until someone at Microsoft stops being too lazy to take the dog to the vet and put it down already.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts
@kadin_kai said:

@saltslasher: Simple answer: Its profitable!

I haven't head about any profits for Xbox. Just increased revenues for their gaming division, which does not equal profit.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

"Is MS wasting time with Xbox?"

Are you crazy? With all that money MS is making through XBL and you got to be a fool to not see MS isn't wasting time with Xbox One. MS knows it's the holy grail cause they are milking their fans through XBL fees.

@rrjim1 said:

Why ask when you already know the answer?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Wasting their time have you seen the profits they make on the brand.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Xbox Won...Baby!!!

:P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

No, gaming has been a big part of Windows PC supremacy strategy for years, look at videos of their Windows 95 promotions and tools they were giving developers. I think looking back at their push for console makers to adopt DirectX APIs was to help bridge console game development with PC so that the Windows PC market would be well supported with games hence their ability to monetize on their OS and other software. Part of the reason they got into consoles was to keep this up since development for the Xbox would be an easy jump for PC development. At very least, the start of their console ambitions was really to keep Windows on PCs as the dominant OS.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

I'm interested to see how this disc-less console does you can see that ms are definitely testing the market for next generation.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sealionact
@ajstyles said:

The Xbox brand has beeen a complete flop. It’s only been around so long because investors forget it even exists and they hide the poor sales in their “entertainment” or whatever division.

It will continue to “just be there” until someone at Microsoft stops being too lazy to take the dog to the vet and put it down already.

Ya. 40 million sales is a complete flop.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

OP never took business or marketing classes apparently.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: but revenue growth isn’t a reason to bail out either.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Nope.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenjaminBanklin
@sealionact said:
@ajstyles said:

40 million sales with constant discounts though? Xbox reports hardware losses every quarter. That adds up.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

No I don’t think they are and I’m very happy that they are in the console space myself.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sealionact

@BenjaminBanklin: Strange. Weren't you just complaining that Xbox only reported $10 billion in revenue? You're saying they're reporting a loss now?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@BenjaminBanklin said:

40 million sales with constant discounts though? Xbox reports hardware losses every quarter. That adds up.

It does indeed. MS real straight comes from XBL Gold subscription. If MS lose Gold supporters, then they be really into trouble cause Gold is the only reason why Xbox console is still here. and MS can never charge a fee into Windows 10 cause that will piss-off alot of PC gamers, so they gotta keep their Xbox fans happy with Gold.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BenjaminBanklin
@sealionact said:

@BenjaminBanklin: Strange. Weren't you just complaining that Xbox only reported $10 billion in revenue? You're saying they're reporting a loss now?

Complaining? MS gaming reported 10 billion in revenue, not Xbox alone. It's not strong enough on its own to report separately. They do at least report on hardware revenue, and it's always down. It was down 19% last quarter, which has actually been mild compared to other quarters.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@davillain- said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

It does indeed. MS real straight comes from XBL Gold subscription. If MS lose Gold supporters, then they be really into trouble cause Gold is the only reason why Xbox console is still here. and MS can never charge a fee into Windows 10 cause that will piss-off alot of PC gamers, so they gotta keep their Xbox fans happy with Gold.

You wait, Windows will be a subscription sooner or later, this is MS we are talking about. Already is for enterprise or whatever.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Besides the obvious way this fishing post seems to go,

It´s actually not a bad question.

But the answer is no, but with the string attached that if MS does not begin to make actual console exclusives, they are wasting their time and money with another Xbox

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaVillain  Moderator

@Random_Matt said:

You wait, Windows will be a subscription sooner or later, this is MS we are talking about. Already is for enterprise or whatever.

They actually tried that in the past and failed big time! When Gold got big on 360, MS thought about trying this on Windows and when we found out about it, every PC gamer got upset and MS back off that idea. I be really surprise if MS tries it again.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sealionact

@BenjaminBanklin: That gaming figure includes xbox, they're not separated....and the 19 % you are quoting is hardware sales year on year.....which is not surprising seeing as this gen is coming to an end, and is also the reason why Sony dropped 14% in profits on their gaming division.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@davillain- said:
@Random_Matt said:

They actually tried that in the past and failed big time! When Gold got big on 360, MS thought about trying this on Windows and when we found out about it, every PC gamer got upset and MS back off that idea. I be really surprise if MS tries it again.

You can't say they actually tried in the past to a comment that explicitly states "Windows will be a subscription soon or later", when it was never tried in the past. Just saying.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sealionact

@Random_Matt: Except Xbox hasn't reported losses every quarter.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Xbox sucks and MS should be embarrassed.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@sealionact said:
@ajstyles said:

Hardware loss means nothing. Consoles are usually sold at a loss (especially at launch), because software is were the money is at.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts

IMO, if they dont want to have their games exclusive to xbox and release on multiple platforms, they should stop making the xbox and let someone else take a shot at entering the console space.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@ahmedkhan1994 said:

IMO, if they dont want to have their games exclusive to xbox and release on multiple platforms, they should stop making the xbox and let someone else take a shot at entering the console space.

Because their games being on PCs negatively affect console gaming?

Fanboys use some special logic.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts

@Pedro: well with the amount of times that Phil Spencer has stated he wants to and is working on bringing microsoft games to other platforms plus the rumors of game pass coming to nintendo switch, imo it's only a matter of time that xbox games are available on every platform, including playstation. Would you still be able to say the same thing then?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Pedro said:

You can't say they actually tried in the past to a comment that explicitly states "Windows will be a subscription soon or later", when it was never tried in the past. Just saying.

I worded that wrong, sorry.

MS at the time thought about it when Gold got so popular, someone slip that idea through the net and PC gamers got upset about it. As for the subscription model for future Windows 10 edition, I'm not all that worry about it since it's really aiming for business users and I only use Windows 10 for gaming/editing only, not like they are gonna charge that just for a simple OS when all the other stuff is business wise features.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I agree with a lot of point made regarding the Windows store. They should be trying to capitalize on the pc market. But in no way should they abandon Xbox. They are making money. Simply put. Imagine if every burger shop that couldn’t sell as many burgers as McDonalds decided to stop selling burgers because they can’t possibly compete? That would be terrible for us consumers. Also McDonalds sucks. Now the day where they are losing money off of this is the day where they have to make a choice whether to double down or cut their losses. Til then...let them sell the product they offer.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
@sealionact said:

@BenjaminBanklin: That gaming figure includes xbox, they're not separated....and the 19 % you are quoting is hardware sales year on year.....which is not surprising seeing as this gen is coming to an end, and is also the reason why Sony dropped 14% in profits on their gaming division.

Didn't I just say that? Xbox used to be reported separately until it started tanking this gen, then MS reshuffled the way it reported earnings to hide weaker performing sectors... like the Xbox division. And the hardware drops are not because it's coming towards the end of the gen, Xbox One regularly lost money throughout its run. With hardware losses being as high as 40 percent some quarters. Xbox One was reported to come at a loss of 400 million the first year.

@npiet1 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Hardware loss means nothing. Consoles are usually sold at a loss (especially at launch), because software is were the money is at.

Sure it means something. It hurt Sony when they did it with the PS3 the first few years, because making PS3's at a loss of around $200 a piece initially was unsustainable. They were forced to a make a version of PS3 that didn't lose them money hand over fist because there was no way software could fill in the hole.

I know things have been bad for Xbox since MS has been selling discounted versions of the console since the first few months of its release, on top of massive software giveways and various deals of that ilk. MS killed any profits they had just trying to get the systems in homes to save face.

They're practically burning money because they can on Xbox, but regularly taking losses on hardware and such is not the ideal situation.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Again MS is being true to who they are. They should be trying to offer software and services on all type of devices. That is where they make there money. On hardware side they should still look to create there own devices when its feasible. Surfaces, Xboxes etc... A microsoft console demand is still there and they can offer something better by there own ambitions. Better then what sony may offer. Xbox can still regain 3rd party share lead. It can still be the home for COD again and whatever new 3rd party trend is. People who want console hardware will still buy the next xbox. I think the only way that changes is if they can put there software and services on someone else console. Console is a category to them and right now there own console hardware is the best offer.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

This thread is a waste of time.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@sealionact said:

Didn't I just say that? Xbox used to be reported separately until it started tanking this gen, then MS reshuffled the way it reported earnings to hide weaker performing sectors... like the Xbox division. And the hardware drops are not because it's coming towards the end of the gen, Xbox One regularly lost money throughout its run. With hardware losses being as high as 40 percent some quarters. Xbox One was reported to come at a loss of 400 million the first year.

Link? I am thinking this is another false narrative from a fanboy. When you don't understand why something occurs just keep making shit up until it fits your narrative.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@sealionact said:

@Random_Matt: Except Xbox hasn't reported losses every quarter.

You are not talking correct figures here.

Xbox Gaming division includes Xbox live which is Windows 10, Xbox One in its various forms and Xbox 360 as well, which is why they have reported 56million active users, considering their lower number of consoles sold.

So the figures you have is including the PC division as well, which makes your whole series of argumentation moot.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BenjaminBanklin
@Xabiss said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Link? I am thinking this is another false narrative from a fanboy. When you don't understand why something occurs just keep making shit up until it fits your narrative.

Link? There's two in the post. I never post without links to put fanboy asses like yourself in check.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Xabiss said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Link? There's two in the post. I never post without links to put fanboy asses like yourself in check.

Not in check. Show me a link that states Microsoft reshuffled the way it reported earnings to hide things. If not it is your opinion that is why they did it. Easy enough! The truth is no one knows if Microsoft is profitable in this division other then Microsoft. So really both sides can't speak about it to be honest.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@sealionact said:

@npiet1 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Sure it means something. It hurt Sony when they did it with the PS3 the first few years, because making PS3's at a loss of around $200 a piece initially was unsustainable. They were forced to a make a version of PS3 that didn't lose them money hand over fist because there was no way software could fill in the hole. There's a huge difference between $200 a unit and $100 a unit.

I know things have been bad for Xbox since MS has been selling discounted versions of the console since the first few months of its release, on top of massive software giveways and various deals of that ilk. MS killed any profits they had just trying to get the systems in homes to save face. I agree with you there its time Phil left.

They're practically burning money because they can on Xbox, but regularly taking losses on hardware and such is not the ideal situation. I don't mind this, You can see where the money is going which is buying developers and new hardware. I hope that they do something with them. Xbox could be pumping out exclusives (If you want to call them that since they are on PC as well) monthly, or bi-monthly soon.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BenjaminBanklin
@Xabiss said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Not in check. Show me a link that states Microsoft reshuffled the way it reported earnings to hide things. If not it is your opinion that is why they did it. Easy enough! The truth is no one knows if Microsoft is profitable in this division other then Microsoft. So really both sides can't speak about it to be honest.

You think that's something they're just going to tell you? They did it in 2015, the same time Xbox One was shown to be on the trail to fail. there was no other reason to MS to do this, really. This came at the same year they were no longer going to report console sales. There's some info they choose to divulge to investors, but that was the point where they started obscuring others. A little coincidental don't you think?

They don't want investors to know how far behind they are for a reason. Xbox has been this mad push for conquest since its inception, and you can't really do that if they have to constantly report failure, because investors will ask questions. They took a queue out of the Sony playbook this gen by combining the numbers of Xbox One and 360 figures like Sony did with PS3, but MS got even bolder and stopped reporting figures altogether. I'd say that's a pretty big red flag there. This is the world's biggest tech company afraid of telling people how a product is faring.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BenjaminBanklin
@npiet1 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Sure it means something. It hurt Sony when they did it with the PS3 the first few years, because making PS3's at a loss of around $200 a piece initially was unsustainable. They were forced to a make a version of PS3 that didn't lose them money hand over fist because there was no way software could fill in the hole. There's a huge difference between $200 a unit and $100 a unit.

I know things have been bad for Xbox since MS has been selling discounted versions of the console since the first few months of its release, on top of massive software giveways and various deals of that ilk. MS killed any profits they had just trying to get the systems in homes to save face. I agree with you there its time Phil left.

They're practically burning money because they can on Xbox, but regularly taking losses on hardware and such is not the ideal situation. I don't mind this, You can see where the money is going which is buying developers and new hardware. I hope that they do something with them. Xbox could be pumping out exclusives (If you want to call them that since they are on PC as well) monthly, or bi-monthly soon.

Xbox can be profitable in the future if these plans work out. But, they basically had to throw in the towel on just going toe to toe with Sony and Nintendo in the hardware biz and are looking to expand to other platforms and streaming. It's a risk, but they have the massive capital to try and stick with it as long as they can.

Personally, I do like that they're putting games on PC at least, as I can finally play them now. I just hope they don't do a switcheroo and try to sneak charge XBL.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I don't have the link, but Phil just did an interview and basically said there's no money in consoles. The money's in getting their software on every device, even competition. Crapgamer on YouTube who's a huge Lem just vented about it. Xbox the console is slowly dying. MS cares about money first, as they should, and the money's not in Xbox as a console. It makes sense that MS should focus on their bread and butter: software and subscriptions to software(and games now). My guess would be that they took a loss on hardware this gen, but made it up with software. So, eliminate the loss(hardware) by putting your games on PC and soon on Switch, and maybe we'll even see some on PS. Fanboying aside, Sony's relying on PS to stay afloat; MS is not relying on Xbox, the console.

Edit: Here's a link. Lems read it before hating.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/microsoft-xbox-one-game-pass-project-xcloud-phil-spencer-2003005