Is Microsoft Really Committed to PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Lgy
Member since 2003 • 849 Posts
http://www.edge-online.com/features/is-microsoft-really-committed-pc
box0rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 box0rocks
Member since 2008 • 1006 Posts
i hope so. i dont feel like buying a xbox
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
not anymore it isn't
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
Microsoft is only committed to themselves.
box0rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 box0rocks
Member since 2008 • 1006 Posts

Microsoft is only committed to themselves.heretrix

lol true but who isent these days

nascar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 nascar1
Member since 2005 • 2763 Posts
Microsoft is only committed to themselves.heretrix
- and making MONEY.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
For games no, for everything else, yes.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts
Of course seeing as the PC is their core business. Now for gaming, yeah I think they are but they are likely more committed to 360 as it does move the games and challenges Sony for the living-room entertainment dollars.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

to PC? Yes. To PCgaming? Hell no. You would have to be completely retarded to believe MS on how commited they are to PCgaming

Let's be frank here: the closing of ACES marks the end of MS involvment with PCgaming.

Since Xbox was announced we've often heard Microsoft reps assuring us PC gamers that they are still committed fully to PC gaming.? Let's see what MS has done with their PC gaming division in the last few years.

• Moved FASA franchises (Battletech, CrimsonSkies and Shadowrun) to Xbox, when they flopped there MS closed down FASA studios and sold the IPs. Not to mention that they didn't extend the relationships with independent PC developers who worked on those franchises in their PC forms (especially Zipper is a good example, they went in to Playstation 2 where they created the popular SOCOM franchise and eventually got bought by Sony)

Moved Links and Midtown Madness to Xbox, they flopped there, so Access Software was sold to 2K

Let go of Digital Anvil teams who worked on PC Conquest: Frontier Wars and Loose Cannon. The remaining team was switched to Xbox to work on BruteForce, it flopped, MS as always closed them down.

Got rid of Ashersons Call franchise by selling it back to Turbine

Let Big Hug Games go (despite owning part of it), the company was bought by THQ

Canceled the MMORPG Mythica

Canceled MS Train Simulator 2 (it's developed KUJU eventually restarted the project and released it as Rail Simulator through Electronic Arts)

Got rid of Marvel Online MMORPG, the devs went to Take2 where it became Champions Online

First switched Ensemble (their most successful PC dev and one that specialized in games that do not work all that well on consoles) to 360 to make Halo Wars and then when the game was almost done they announced the studio will be closed down when the game ships.

Zoo Tycoon IP is no longer in MS portfolio as the developer Blue Fang has switched publishers to THQ

They bought PC-centric Lionhead Studios and from that moment there's just sound of crickets when asking about any upcoming PC projects they have.

Even some ports of console games MS published (namely Jade Empire and Mass Effect) weren't published by Microsoft

Basically since MS announced their newly restored commitment to PC gaming they've systematically been wiping it out, switching whatever they could to Xbox and whatever they couldn't switch they've closed down, sold or just let go.

I find it hilarious that currently Sony is PCgaming powerhouse compared to Microsoft

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
not really, most of the ports that the pc gets are horrible. as a PC yes, they are making a new windows. from the people in the beta they say it is great.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
PC gamers dont need MS. Simple as that really. They didnt commit themselves to PC gaming from 2001 until a half arsed attempt recently - and its clear they have lost touch with the platform, while devs like Valve have become one with it. Gamers dont care about MS anymore, and unless Windows 7 happens to be a better gaming platform, that does not interfere rather enhance the experience from what it already is; then maybe gamers will begin to give a toss.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 skrat_01

to PC? Yes. To PCgaming? Hell no. You would have to be completely retarded to believe MS on how commited they are to PCgaming

Let's be frank here: the closing of ACES marks the end of MS involvment with PCgaming.

Since Xbox was announced we've often heard Microsoft reps assuring us PC gamers that they are still committed fully to PC gaming.? Let's see what MS has done with their PC gaming division in the last few years.

• Moved FASA franchises (Battletech, CrimsonSkies and Shadowrun) to Xbox, when they flopped there MS closed down FASA studios and sold the IPs. Not to mention that they didn't extend the relationships with independent PC developers who worked on those franchises in their PC forms (especially Zipper is a good example, they went in to Playstation 2 where they created the popular SOCOM franchise and eventually got bought by Sony)

Moved Links and Midtown Madness to Xbox, they flopped there, so Access Software was sold to 2K

Let go of Digital Anvil teams who worked on PC Conquest: Frontier Wars and Loose Cannon. The remaining team was switched to Xbox to work on BruteForce, it flopped, MS as always closed them down.

Got rid of Ashersons Call franchise by selling it back to Turbine

Let Big Hug Games go (despite owning part of it), the company was bought by THQ

Canceled the MMORPG Mythica

Canceled MS Train Simulator 2 (it's developed KUJU eventually restarted the project and released it as Rail Simulator through Electronic Arts)

Got rid of Marvel Online MMORPG, the devs went to Take2 where it became Champions Online

First switched Ensemble (their most successful PC dev and one that specialized in games that do not work all that well on consoles) to 360 to make Halo Wars and then when the game was almost done they announced the studio will be closed down when the game ships.

Zoo Tycoon IP is no longer in MS portfolio as the developer Blue Fang has switched publishers to THQ

They bought PC-centric Lionhead Studios and from that moment there's just sound of crickets when asking about any upcoming PC projects they have.

Even some ports of console games MS published (namely Jade Empire and Mass Effect) weren't published by Microsoft

Basically since MS announced their newly restored commitment to PC gaming they've systematically been wiping it out, switching whatever they could to Xbox and whatever they couldn't switch they've closed down, sold or just let go.

I find it hilarious that currently Sony is PCgaming powerhouse compared to Microsoft

AdrianWerner
Great post. Out of all the things to happen, seeing IPs that were some of my favourites, like Midtown Madness and MechWarrior be retooled for the Xbox - fail, then be crushed out of existance was horrible.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"] They didnt commit themselves to PC gaming from 2001 until a half arsed attempt recently - and its clear they have lost touch with the platform, while devs like Valve have become one with it.

Really. What did they develop DirectX for, again? (Yes, technically, they bought the early version from RenderLab, but it's been extensively rebuilt since then.)
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skrat_01

[QUOTE="skrat_01"] They didnt commit themselves to PC gaming from 2001 until a half arsed attempt recently - and its clear they have lost touch with the platform, while devs like Valve have become one with it.lowe0
Really. What did they develop DirectX for, again? (Yes, technically, they bought the early version from RenderLab, but it's been extensively rebuilt since then.)

So? They can redevelop Direct X as much as they like, PC gamers have been snubbed by MS, and retooling and API for hardware manafacturers who are heading fowards at a rapid pace, does not compare to the damage they did.

It doesn't take much to know that they completely snubbed the platform for the Xbox - and pushed for PC gamers to switch to the system; be it with marketing and IPs; as well as dropping the vast majority of PC games support and development.

Adrians's post speaks volumes in that regard. Hell I was gaming during the entire period on my PC; and before and after - its not something that is simply forgotten.

So what? Redesign the API for Vista - then have a horribly half arsed attempt at getting PC gamers to upgrade to the OS with mediocre software, incentives, as well as an insulting Games for Windows Live system. Because you know PC gamers want a 2 1/2 year old Halo 2, and a crappy service that does everything that other apps do - only worse, and instead interfere with games rather than making things easier.

If that is not half arsed, and out of touch I don't know what is.

Hellboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#15 Hellboard
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
nah they are to x360.. pc? prove it.. latest fail windows vista
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
nah they are to x360.. pc? prove it.. latest fail windows vistaHellboard
I agree, Vista is full of fail.
Hellboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hellboard
[QUOTE="Hellboard"]nah they are to x360.. pc? prove it.. latest fail windows vistamitu123

all the time while i play or install games...:(
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="Hellboard"]nah they are to x360.. pc? prove it.. latest fail windows vistaHellboard

Yeah, that sucks, XP is better and doesn't need that much requirements compared to Vista. I hope Windows 7 is better than Vista.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
The real question is who cares? Besides age of empires series microsoft didnt offer anything else in pc gaming
Hellboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hellboard
[QUOTE="Hellboard"][QUOTE="mitu123"] I agree, Vista is full of fail.mitu123

Yeah, that sucks, XP is better and doesn't need that much requirements compared to Vista. I hope Windows 7 is better than Vista.

agreed and tracking
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AdrianWerner
The real question is who cares? Besides age of empires series microsoft didnt offer anything else in pc gamingadamosmaki
Yeah...it's not like Midtown Madness, Flight Simulator, Close Combat, Links, Mechwarrior, CrimsonSkies, Allegiance, Freelancer, DungeonSiege or Ashersons Call had big dedicated following or anything ;D
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"]The real question is who cares? Besides age of empires series microsoft didnt offer anything else in pc gamingAdrianWerner
Yeah...it's not like Midtown Madness, Flight Simulator, Close Combat, Links, Mechwarrior, CrimsonSkies, Allegiance, Freelancer, DungeonSiege or Ashersons Call had big dedicated following or anything ;D

dungeon Siege was only published by microsoft, it wasn't developed by an internal studio

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Why would they be? You don't need Windows to game on a PC nor does Microsoft control the PC platform. Their "commitment" to it is not exactly needed.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="adamosmaki"]The real question is who cares? Besides age of empires series microsoft didnt offer anything else in pc gamingst1ka

dungeon Siege was only published by microsoft, it wasn't developed by an internal studio

Neither was Close Combat, Mechwarrior, Rise of Nations, CrimsonSkies and AsheronsCall. I was just naming all good franchises MS published (he named Age of Empires after all and Ensemble wasn't bought by MS untill shortly before Age of Mythology was out)
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="skrat_01"] They didnt commit themselves to PC gaming from 2001 until a half arsed attempt recently - and its clear they have lost touch with the platform, while devs like Valve have become one with it.skrat_01

So? They can redevelop Direct X as much as they like, PC gamers have been snubbed by MS, and retooling and API for hardware manafacturers who are heading fowards at a rapid pace, does not compare to the damage they did.

It doesn't take much to know that they completely snubbed the platform for the Xbox - and pushed for PC gamers to switch to the system; be it with marketing and IPs; as well as dropping the vast majority of PC games support and development.

Adrians's post speaks volumes in that regard. Hell I was gaming during the entire period on my PC; and before and after - its not something that is simply forgotten.

So what? Redesign the API for Vista - then have a horribly half arsed attempt at getting PC gamers to upgrade to the OS with mediocre software, incentives, as well as an insulting Games for Windows Live system. Because you know PC gamers want a 2 1/2 year old Halo 2, and a crappy service that does everything that other apps do - only worse, and instead interfere with games rather than making things easier.

If that is not half arsed, and out of touch I don't know what is.

Microsoft's pullout from the PC gaming market may benefit the independent gaming vendors and publishers i.e. less competition. Apple on the other hand is promoting its baseline MacBooks (with Geforce 9400 IGP) as a casual mobile gaming platform. Refer to link
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="adamosmaki"]The real question is who cares? Besides age of empires series microsoft didnt offer anything else in pc gamingAdrianWerner

At best, these are second rated games i.e. for example; Freelancer was blown away by X3 or Darkstar. Played Freelancer once i.e. lack of depth. I prefer Darkstar or X3 series. DungeonSiege was blown away by NeverWinterNights2, Allegiance was blown away by Stardock's "Sin's Of A Solar Empire". Links was blown away by EA's Tiger Woods PGA. I bought DungeonSiege 2 and didn't bother finishing it i.e. bought and played NeverWinterNights2 and SpellForce 2 instead.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skrat_01
Microsoft's pullout from the PC gaming market may benefit the independent gaming vendors and publishers i.e. less competition. Apple on the other hand is promoting its baseline MacBooks (with Geforce 9400 IGP) as a casual mobile gaming platform. Refer to linkronvalencia
That is true, though what I care about the most is the gaming IPs. I honestly doubt Apple will ever become a gaming stronghold, other than appealing to casual gamers, who like the odd Peggle or The Sims. Otherwise the PC scene has been pretty much independantly driven for a long while now; there is no single major backing, and its just been a community driven place for developers to make and sell their products too; that is totally open to anyone.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="adamosmaki"]The real question is who cares? Besides age of empires series microsoft didnt offer anything else in pc gamingronvalencia

At best, these are second rated games i.e. for example; Freelancer was blown away by X3 or Darkstar. Played Freelancer once i.e. lack of depth. I prefer Darkstar or X3 series. DungeonSiege was blown away by NeverWinterNights2, Allegiance was blown away by Stardock's "Sin's Of A Solar Empire". Links was blown away by EA's Tiger Woods PGA. I bought DungeonSiege 2 and didn't bother finishing it i.e. bought and played NeverWinterNights2 and SpellForce 2 instead.

I disagree. A lot of those were hardly second rate.

Close Combat was the absolute leader in real-time wargaming. It wasn't until many years later when Combat Mission debuted that it got any kind of competition

Freelancer was a great game and is still widely played by fans and supported by mods. Comparing it to X series is just plain silly, they have completely diffrent focus and target audience. I do agree Darkstar is better, but without Freelancer there would be no Darkstar in the first place, because while Darkstar was great, it was one huge Freelancer rip-offf

Links wasn't "blown away" by TigerWoods. Console TigerWoods have always been pure trash. Only PC entries in the series were diffrent and went for simulation style. Except that Links was the best golf sims for over a decade and TW becamed a great sim and surpassed Links only when Links was alread dead and that was mostly because Headgate (the company that was making PC TigerWoods) was formed by people who created Links in the first place

Dungeon Siege wasn't blown away by NWN, they were very diffrent, NWN was a normal RPG, while DungeonSiege was a Diablo clone and a very good one, not a premier game, but still a very good on by any normal standarts

Allegiance- Sins has blown it away? Not only it's completely ridiculous because Allegiance camed out 8 YEARS before Sins, but it also shows you have never played the damn game in the first place. Exactly what do they have in common besides the setting? Allegiance is a multiplayer centered space-sim with RTS-like commander ordering other players. It was the first working (and still is the best) mix of RTS and action gameplay. I don't see how Sins, a 4X strategy game is anything like it :]

dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

Well Microsoft makes a profit from every xbox game sold so I can see why they don't support pc gaming as much as they used to. After all they have made an investment into the xbox platform and want to see a return on that investment in the form of royalties.

But they are still a hundred times better than apple when it comes to supporting pc gaming and since directx is still far ahead of opengl your options are limited.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdrianWerner

But they are still a hundred times better than apple when it comes to supporting pc gaming and since directx is still far ahead of opengl your options are limited.

dc337

THey are however far behind Sony, Konami, Tecmo, Koei, Square Enix and Capcom when it comes to supporting PCgaming and that's just sad

DOF_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DOF_power
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts

>

^ I've it before, Microsoft has been the worst enemy of PC gaming since 2001.

The destruction PC franchises and PC game companies, the DX10/Vista mess, the delayed PC version, the crappy ports all of this MS is responsable in one way or another.