Is mediocrity being far more accepted in this generation

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nhh18 (6538 posts) -

Why do all games get a score of at least 80+ on metacritic. Why do all big fps get at least 85. Hype isn't what makes a game good. Mediocrity is far more accepted than it should be. Ratchet and Clank tools of destrution was an incredibly bad game. Super Paper Mario is also an incredibly bad game. Fable 3 is flat out broken with load times making up about half the game. Why didthese games get above a 80? Well it is beyond me. I don't understand why giving a 3/10 for a game is considered being bias, fanboyish,, trolling, among other silly words. A review isn't meant to be a summary of the game but as a critique instead. Because of this, games have been critiqued in anunscrupulous manner. When will game sites ever change their direction in terms of reviews.

#2 Posted by GD1551 (9645 posts) -

I agree, we have worst in series games scoring extremely high like SSBB and Mario Kart wii and games like resistance 2 getting high scores.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (37216 posts) -
Super Paper Mario wasn't an "incredibly bad game"
#4 Posted by EggHeadMan (723 posts) -

People have different opinions than you. simple as that.

#5 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17601 posts) -
Just because you hate good games, don't take it out on us.
#6 Posted by amaneuvering (4649 posts) -

At OP.

On Wii I think it most certainly is.

#7 Posted by ActionRemix (5640 posts) -

I agree, we have worst in series games scoring extremely high like SSBB and Mario Kart wii and games like resistance 2 getting high scores.

GD1551

I can't convince any of my friends that Brawl is awful, but they hate everything that I love about the previous game. To them, I'm a cheap spammer if I combo into the Knee, Rest, or spike while they spam Fsmash.

#8 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -
Tools of Destruction was fantastic, most Pixar-like game I've ever played. FABLE 3 IS AWESOME! You make me mad bro. :P
#9 Posted by xYamatox (5180 posts) -

Battlefield 3 isn't anything we haven't seen before, yet some people on this site see it as the second coming for FPS games.

Mediocrity IS more accepted this gen.

*takes off trollface and puts up flame shiled*

#10 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Hmm...I don't think so overall, but mediocre is subjecitve. 80 on metacritic is a good score as it's taking all reviews into account, but I do agree with what your saying about Fable though, those games are VERY ovverated IMO, especially Fable 3. My god! I beat that game in about 4 hours, no joke. Huge waste of money...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#11 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18695 posts) -

I tihnk there are some games that are indeed mediocre and accepted, but there are still plenty of great games.

#12 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

Battlefield 3 isn't anything we haven't seen before, yet some people on this site see it as the second coming for FPS games.

xYamatox
Don't worry, bro. I'll stand behind it with you. :P
#13 Posted by DarthJohnova (4599 posts) -

No, gamers are just cynical about releases.

#14 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -
Yay!!! Another I like to hate on good games thread!
#15 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28915 posts) -

I dont believe so but there is a major problem in the reviewing space too many companies have went with the flawed 1/10 scales when they should be using 1/5 star scales or get rid of scores completely and just do written reviews.

reviewiers will complain about users calling them biased and how they all don't sit in meetings and ask what each other are going to give and they all agree to stay within a few points of that and say thats untrue...but inreality they are doing just that it would seem so often the opinions of reiviewers are all the same.

#16 Posted by Mazoch (2471 posts) -

Why do all games get a score of at least 80+ on metacritic. Why do all big fps get at least 85. Hype isn't what makes a game good. Mediocrity is far more accepted than it should be. Ratchet and Clank tools of destrution was an incredibly bad game. Super Paper Mario is also an incredibly bad game. Fable 3 is flat out broken with load times making up about half the game. Why didthese games get above a 80? Well it is beyond me. I don't understand why giving a 3/10 for a game is considered being bias, fanboyish,, trolling, among other silly words. A review isn't meant to be a summary of the game but as a critique instead. Because of this, games have been critiqued in anunscrupulous manner. When will game sites ever change their direction in terms of reviews.

nhh18

I don't think it's so much a greater acceptance but rather that there's been an inflation in review scores. A game that received 80% ten years ago was considered much better than a game that received 80% today. But at the same time, no one are impressed with an 80% game today, the game will be seen as mediocre where it would have been seen as a good game ten years ago.

#17 Posted by xYamatox (5180 posts) -

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

DarkLink77

Can't wait for them to activate my trap card :P

#18 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22928 posts) -
being the worst in the series =/= being a bad game
#19 Posted by theuncharted34 (14529 posts) -

I love it when the TC's abandon their threads right after they make it.

#20 Posted by TrapJak (2933 posts) -

Haters gon' hate. Haters gon' hate.

#21 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

I dont believe so but there is a major problem in the reviewing space too many companies have went with the flawed 1/10 scales when they should be using 1/5 star scales or get rid of scores completely and just do written reviews.

reviewiers will complain about users calling them biased and how they all don't sit in meetings and ask what each other are going to give and they all agree to stay within a few points of that and say thats untrue...but inreality they are doing just that it would seem so often the opinions of reiviewers are all the same.

WilliamRLBaker

Completely agree with the written reviews, scores don't serve any real purpose.

#22 Posted by Drakebunny (3029 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="xYamatox"]

xYamatox

Can't wait for them to activate my trap card :P

I see what you did there, but that's a monster card, bro

As for the topic, it's kinda hit and miss. Some high scoring games aren't very good, and the reverse is true as well. Also, super paper mario wasn't bad

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
#23 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12489 posts) -

GD1551
Resistance 2 is an awesome game.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
#24 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12489 posts) -
Super Paper Mario wasn't an "incredibly bad game"MonsieurX
Super Paper Mario is an awesome game.
#25 Posted by svetzenlether (3082 posts) -

At the OPs:

you're right, but if you're using Brawl, Mario Kart and Super Paper Mario as your examples, then you're WAY off base. Those DO happen to be great games and deserving of the scores they got.

Black Ops, MW2, God of War 3, games like Darksiders...these games should've been the examples you used...

#26 Posted by mmmwksil (16422 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Super Paper Mario wasn't an "incredibly bad game"carljohnson3456

Super Paper Mario was a fun game on its own. It was a pitiful excuse for a Paper Mario game, though.

#27 Posted by TrapJak (2933 posts) -

[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Super Paper Mario wasn't an "incredibly bad game"mmmwksil

Super Paper Mario was a fun game on its own. It was a pitiful excuse for a Paper Mario game, though.

Even though it turned away from the RPG elements, it was still fun as hell. All Hail Luigi!

#28 Posted by Moriarity_ (1332 posts) -

[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Super Paper Mario wasn't an "incredibly bad game"mmmwksil

This is my only complaint about super paper mario. It's a great game but it's no paper mario game.
#29 Posted by mmmwksil (16422 posts) -

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"] Super Paper Mario is an awesome game. Moriarity_

This is my only complaint about super paper mario. It's a great game but it's no paper mario game.

We have little to worry about. Paper Mario 3(DS) will be the true successor to the series... but can it ever top Thousand Year Door?

No. Only Super Paper Luigi: Adventures in Eclair Kingdom can do that.

#30 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

Tools of Destruction was a great game. I dont' think it was mediocre at all.

#31 Posted by Apocalypse97 (1758 posts) -

People have different opinions than you. simple as that.

EggHeadMan
QFT, your standards are too high man!
#32 Posted by nhh18 (6538 posts) -

theuncharted34

It is called not being on this site. All of these games were worst in series. R&C series is awful. It is a testification of 'cool weapons=cool game'. Sly series is by far the superior series. But mediocrity is far more accepted as well as racism directed toward japanese developers.

#33 Posted by Olimar_the_Min (513 posts) -
It is called nostalgia so incredibly mediocre games such as Super Mario Galaxy (2) can still score high grades because the developers played the prequels to them when they were young children. These games are just rehashes and have the same gameplay and mechanics.
Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
#34 Posted by Sportyfamilycar (203 posts) -

nhh18

I dont agree with alot of the games you mentioned but I think overall videogame quality has gone down in recent years. Technology wise they have been improving but you dont get your moneys worth anymore.

#35 Posted by TrapJak (2933 posts) -

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

nhh18

It is called not being on this site. All of these games were worst in series. R&C series is awful. It is a testification of 'cool weapons=cool game'. Sly series is by far the superior series. But mediocrity is far more accepted as well as racism directed toward japanese developers.

This comment is filled with so much randomness and mediocrity that I cannot fathom it. Begone!

#36 Posted by nhh18 (6538 posts) -

[QUOTE="nhh18"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

TrapJak

This comment is filled with so much randomness and mediocrity that I cannot fathom it. Begone!

FF13 why can't japanese developers evolve. JRPG developeres aren't innovative. This is pure and utter racism. I still remember this stuff because it is unbelievable.

#37 Posted by theuncharted34 (14529 posts) -

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"][QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

mmmwksil

We have little to worry about. Paper Mario 3(DS) will be the true successor to the series... but can it ever top Thousand Year Door?

Nah. That game was too much of a masterpiece.

I'd love to have a paper luigi game :P I laughed after I listened to Wee gee's storys, and then his partners basically said he was full of crap :lol:

Anyways, Super paper mario was great, it was full of charm and humor, but the enemies and visuals just didn't feel like a mario game at all, and it was just a pretty simple game. Needless to say the first 2 destroy it :P

#38 Posted by theuncharted34 (14529 posts) -

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

nhh18

...What did I just read? :|

#39 Posted by majestix1988 (796 posts) -

can be yes or not....other gamers like more to trust their instinct via rent it or watch gameplay on youtube then buy it than "Reviewers" who just played short time....and rate it

#40 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

[QUOTE="TrapJak"]

[QUOTE="nhh18"]It is called not being on this site. All of these games were worst in series. R&C series is awful. It is a testification of 'cool weapons=cool game'. Sly series is by far the superior series. But mediocrity is far more accepted as well as racism directed toward japanese developers.

nhh18

FF13 why can't japanese developers evolve. JRPG developeres aren't innovative. This is pure and utter racism. I still remember this stuff because it is unbelievable.

Uh... What? You seem to be the only ne making any sense of your posts.
#41 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

You heard right folks.

80+ Review Score is now considered Mediocre.

#42 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

What was wrong with Tools of Destruction?

#43 Posted by Gibsonsg527 (3313 posts) -

Super Paper Mario....bad? What?

#44 Posted by madsnakehhh (16265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"][QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

mmmwksil

OMG, i had so much fun with that game, is no doubt one of THE very best games from last gen, everything was so good, so fun and so funny...man :)

On topic, why does TC consider Super Paper Mario a terrible game? i really want to know his reasons (if by any chance they exist of course)

#45 Posted by exiledsnake (1906 posts) -
I'm not surprised since game sites don't want to anger developers and publishers. I think review sites need to hold some kind of AGM and discuss measures that they can take to decrease the inflation of 80% scores and let the publishers and the consumers know that the standard needs to be changed.
#46 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

You know when Saints Row 2 gets anything beyond a 7, that what you said is true

#47 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (23531 posts) -

xYamatox
BF3 is actually not anything we've seen before. I don't see any other games doing destructible environments tied with 64 players.
#48 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

DragonfireXZ95

BF3 is actually not anything we've seen before. I don't see any other games doing destructible environments tied with 64 players.

Battlefield 3 is great and all, but lets not act like it's innovative or anything.

#49 Posted by IronBass (21193 posts) -
Don't assume that everybody has the same opinion as you about what is mediocre or not.
#50 Posted by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

Welcome to this week's episode of "I have a different opinion therefore these reviews are bad"