Is manticore the way to go?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is manticore the way to go? (47 votes)

Yes 51%
No 49%

As a manticore, it’s impossible to lose the system war. You have every system and can play anything. Am I rite, SW? Is manticore the way to go?

Bonus question: Have you gone manticore in a gen?

• 
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Less and less. With MS releasing Xbox/PC day one and Sony slowly going the PC route, there's no real need anymore. Ninty will forever be the holdout.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

Playstastion and Xbox games come to pc and switch games can be emulated. PC is obvious winner.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Buy the platforms with the games you want to play. If that means all of them, sure.

I bought them all up through gen 7. Saw value in each of them. This was especially true in gens 4, 5, and 6. Too many greats exclusive to each.

Guess I technically owned them all last gen as well. But only budged for the XBX near the end, as a Ninja Gaiden box. And though I owned a PS4 all gen, was basically a Bloodborne box.

Currently, just a PC and Switch. Likely never buy another Xbox. Not interested in PS5s offerings at the moment. Always have access to one too, so probably not lol.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Not really. I've had them all most times, but these days you don't need more than one system unless you're a diehard Nintendo fan that can't live without their exclusives. PC is the way to go basically.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Meh. Just buy whatever you want to play games. I’ve typically owned most of the major consoles from the SNES/Genesis era and up but was only briefly into PC gaming between 1999 to 2003. I guess I was a manticore then. 🤷‍♂️

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

This picking sides stuff is silly. Folks overhype games while convincing themselves others are garbage just to justify their purchase. Consumers do goofy stuff

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50546 Posts

Until Sony starts releasing their games day one or much sooner on PC, to me the only system I can go without is xbox.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7196 Posts

It would appear Switch is the way to go, its games sell the most and its console sells the most. PC games don’t sell that great unless it’s some ftp stuff.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts
@mesome713 said:

It would appear Switch is the way to go, its games sell the most and its console sells the most. PC games don’t sell that great unless it’s some ftp stuff.

So buy the Switch because the system and games sell the most? Astounding logic.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@lundy86_4: don’t tell him he can’t play games like Elden Ring lol

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

At one point I would've say yes, but I just don't have the time to play all the good games on every system. Life just doesn't let me dedicate my time to gaming anymore.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38713 Posts

Being manticore is a very mediocre lifestyle. As a cow, you have the games, strong first party everyone is salivating for, and very strong allies that will defend the SSD into oblivion. Its clear, being a Sony Professional is the best way of living.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

Probably back in 6th/7th gens, becoming a Manticore did made sense as everyone was releasing good exclusive games you couldn't find anywhere else, but things have change when we enter 8th gen, it became evident that being a Manticore wasn't no longer the case when MS started supporting PC. That being said, buying Sony/Nintendo consoles is fine for their exclusives despite Sony is slowly supporting PC. As @Chutebox said, until Sony starts releasing those exclusives day one on PC, I'll stepdown from Sony's consoles.

@mesome713 said:

You could have just gone with PC/Switch and I would have taken you seriously but owning just a Switch in this age doesn't cut it and Nintendo is still lagging behind hardware tech.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38713 Posts
@Chutebox said:

Until Sony starts releasing their games day one or much sooner on PC, to me the only system I can go without is xbox.

How quickly would you need them to come on pc for you to not buy a ps?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#16  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

Sure, if you have the money, and absolutely, positively must play every game that interests you, regardless of platform.

Me? I prefer to stick to what I know and am comfortable with, and don't trouble myself with the could-bes and and what-ifs.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50546 Posts

@hardwenzen: I can wait a few months.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58853 Posts

Play what enjoy.

*shrug*

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Been a manticore for a little over a decade. Still the way to go.

vgmkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#20 vgmkyle
Member since 2004 • 8682 Posts

At one point I was a manticore, then I noticed Sony gives people the same exact offering with almost every exclusive game feeling the same and I said I will stay with PC, XBOX & Nintendo.

With Nintendo's performance as of late I could sell my Switch systems and never feel a single bit of remorse.

God of War 2 sucked. People complained about Halo Infinite but night and day I played more Halo than GOW2.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

How many adults on this forum seriously have the time to swap between 3 systems?

Steam deck/PS5 for me

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Since dedicated handhelds no longer exist (Switch is hybrid), being a manticore is easier than ever, because it’s easier to buy three systems instead of five.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: nope, PC gaming is the dumps, literal trash, it's possibly even worse than ps5 gaming.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

You don't even need a high end PC now to play MS games. Streaming works pretty well on even cheap laptops. PS5 and PC/gamepass is the best way to go. Switch also if you don't mind paying top dollar for 5 year old games.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I'd also never go full PC. Sound cuts out all the time when hooked to my tv. Plus it's just an inconvenience to use PC. I just pick up the controller off the charging dock, hit the PS button, and continue right where I left off. Never have to worry about updates either.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Not for me. PS have crap games and multiplats. Xbox have multiplats. As a PC gamer, there's simply no need for those. Nintendo systems you get for Nintendo games.

PC+Nintendo. All you need.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts
@Litchie said:

Not for me. PS have crap games and multiplats. Xbox have multiplats. As a PC gamer, there's simply no need for those. Nintendo systems you get for Nintendo games.

PC is just enough

Nintendo have only childish colorful games, Xbox is pre build PC with controller, PS is moviestation.

nah. PC is only way to go.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

PC is just enough

Nintendo have only childish colorful games, Xbox is pre build PC with controller, PS is moviestation.

But for us others who have a bit of a soul, Nintendo games can be fun and relaxing.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

No, PC and retro consoles is all you need.

Xbox - pointless, you have a PC.

PS - almost pointless, most games go to PC.

Switch - Unplayable frame rates.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Yes, everyone should be a manticore just like me but then SW would be even mooaar boring. lol :P

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

GAMErs..the clues in the name.

If you refuse to buy or play a game because it's on a System you hate because of brand loyalty then you're a f@#king idiot 🤣

A real gamer will have access to as many options they can afford

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 910 Posts

Yup.

If you only had a PS4 or only had an Xbox One last gen I would recommend switching to the other side this gen. At least for now...

And Nintendo always has good stuff. I recommend buying one of their platforms at least every other gen.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Same!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12907 Posts

Manticore is the only way for me. Give me God of War and Gears of War baby!

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

PC is just enough

lol, weren't you the one who hyped callisto protocol, and it flopped to a 5/10? How is CP doing on PC nowadays?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

PC is just enough

lol, weren't you the one who hyped callisto protocol, and it flopped to a 5/10? How is CP doing on PC nowadays?

blame hardwenzen.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3046 Posts
@randy_lahey said:

How many adults on this forum seriously have the time to swap between 3 systems?

Steam deck/PS5 for me

I totally have enough to play everything I want, but I play nothing 😆 The me from 15 years ago would be going "WTF!". Currently, I'm definitely more of an anti-core.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

Is manticore someone who owns all systems or just someone who owns more than 1?

Anyway at the end of the day get the systems with the games you want to play at prices you are happy with.

Personally i dont think it's worth getting all systems (especially blindly. at least have a wishlist). I did it during the x360/PS3/Wii gen (when the argument for each would have been even stronger). I had them all: the 3 consoles, a console killing PC, the PSP and the DS.But i really only ended up playing the DS, the wii and the PC alot.

nowadays i have a PC and a switch (and a bit of a backlog on the 3DS) and i'm happy out.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Gaming on anything is the way to go.

Just don't be one of the losers who is attacking others' tastes in games constantly based on the hardware they use, like some of the suckers in the thread.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12907 Posts

@randy_lahey said:

Steam deck/PS5 for me

I have PS5, XSX and Switch. I don't find much time for my Switch though. Even though I like it, it's kinda just there. I haven't turned it on for over a year due to time really.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Kind of a waste of money in 2023.

• Xbox is just an app-based platform these days anyway. If you have a PC for gaming there is no reason to have an Xbox unless you just want something to chuck by your TV (which is nice because cross-buy & cross-save)
  • PS5 only has a few good exclusives unless you want the cinematic experience they seem to be focused on. YMMV. PS5 is still a good way to play the PS4 games that had shitty performance on PS4. (Except Bloodborne and Sony says **** you for liking that game)
  • Switch - Lol.

Save your money and build a MiSTer FPGA setup or get a Steam Deck.

I had all platforms last gen. Have since sold the PS4 and X1X because they were kinda lame. I'd sell the PS5 if I trusted Squeenix to not ham up the PC launch of FF7Reunion.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1244 Posts

Just a PC and a Switch is enough, these days. A PS5 at most if you really crave their exclusives and don't wanna wait.

No reason to get an xbox if you have a decent gaming PC as all their games go to PC anyway.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#44 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

No one is a manticore. Not completely anyway.

Seriously, I've seen too many "cores" that were still biased as cows or herms more so than sheep (only playing Nintendo for the first party... because of course) or lems.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@nintendoboy16:

Well yeah. Owning all systems and having no bias doesn't really track. Many try to conflate the two, but nope. Seen "manticores" on this board being some of the biggest fanboys out there. Seen single system owners who are super chill about this shit. Not mutually inclusive ideas by any stretch.

Not like SW definitions really matter, but I just interpret manticore as owning all the current systems.

I know a guy who runs his own privately owned gaming shop. Inherited millions in his late teens, this is basically just a place for him to shoot the shit about games and play all day. Owns more gaming shit than anyone I know. Rows and rows of arcade cabs, every piece of console/handheld/peripheral gaming hardware you can possibly think of, almost every game ever to see physical release.

It's insane.

Guy is also the most narrowminded fanboy I've met in person lol

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

Got PS5 and a Switch. Nothing interest me on PC atm

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

I can never be a maticore as games on Microsoft and Sony systems do not appeal to my tastes. I had been playing and owning Nintendo systems since the NES era (I had owned two Atari systems prior to the release of the NES), but mostly to play Nintendo-developed or published games. However, I do not consider myself a Nintendo fanboy as at times I disagree with the company on its practices and how underpowered its systems are since the GameCube era.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

PC and Switch is really all I need. I have Xbox PC gamepass, and Sony is putting games on PC also.