Is it wrong to cheat in single player games?

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

In single player rpg games I use trainers/ cheat engine to max out stats , get best gear early or unlimited money to buy everything. My excuse is I hardly get time for gaming after work and like to've a quicker, easier and OP time than grind.

Is it wrong to cheat in single player games?

Well?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44017 Posts

Not in my book especially if it's your 2nd play through of that game.

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

Honestly who cares what other people think? So long as what you do doesn't impact others then go nuts I say. If others are concerned about how you spend your time and what you enjoy doing that's their problem, not yours. Goes doubly if the devs included cheats in the game like GTA.

Now if your cheating means getting online to ruin the fun for others then **** you with a sideways pineapple in a very uncomfortable place and no I don't mean the backseat of a Volkswagen.

Have fun your way. It's the reason things like cheats, difficulty settings, and all that exist. Let the whiners cry that you didn't meet their stupid fucking standard.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11234 Posts

Yes it is. Cheaters online should be tracked down and castrated.

Cheaters in SP deserve no such punishment. Just a feeling of shame.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17790 Posts

Play the games however you want. Whatever is the best experience for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Hell no as long as you are having fun that's all that matters. But online is another story you should never cheat against real people that is pathetic and sad.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 653 Posts

Of course not. But It can make the game boring.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#8 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10580 Posts

No.

It's your game, and nobody else's. Play it however you like.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

I always look up walk throughs if I get stuck on a certain mission or level

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Cheating implies a pretense to obeying the rules. No such thing in single player games. Knock yourself out.

ruzuyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ruzuyu
Member since 2022 • 24 Posts

No, I don't think it is wrong in any way. But of course it can suck the fun out of the game sometimes. If that's not your first playthrough and you just want to kill some time without grinding, then you should probably be better off with cheating anyway. Who are we to tell you what is right or wrong lol. Play your game in your own style :)

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3471 Posts

It's not illegal. So don't worry :)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

No.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10413 Posts

probably a bit of a red or at least an amber flag when you feel the need to install trainers on top of a game to avoid grinding

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38638 Posts

Wong? No. But what is the point of playing an rpg, the genre with an actual progress when you set all your stats to 100 from the get go? To me, this becomes a waste of SSD space.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7210 Posts

It's not wrong but definitely takes the fun out of a tough playthrough.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts

If you want to cheat in a single-player game knock yourself off. Whether it is wrong or not is irrelevant. It is your gaming experience after all.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 643 Posts

No it is not wrong at all. It can also make playing video games more accessible to some people as well.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15557 Posts

It isn't wrong, but I also don't see the point. There's a zillion games out there, if you aren't engaging to the point you need to break the game to enjoy it, why wouldn't you just pick up another game?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16534 Posts

I'm with you man. I just don't have the time to grind through games nowadays. Work and other commitments takes a lot out of my day.

So for a lot of games, especially jrpgs, I started using walk through heavily to progress. I dont do as many side quests either.

I dont use the cheat codes though lol...seems pointless to play games like that, but hey if you're enjoying it then knock yourself out.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I'm with you man. I just don't have the time to grind through games nowadays. Work takes a lot out of my day.

So for jrpgs, I started using walk through heavily to progress. I dont do as many side quests either.

If you didn't spend all day on SW, you would have time to grind🐒🐒🐒

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 848 Posts

I would recommend playing legitimately on your first playthrough (no cheats) but on your second playthrough, cheat all you like.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@hardwenzen: lol, says the guy who lives here 9am to 2am. Besides I'm not on here all the time...sometimes I take months long, or even years long breaks from GS

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hardwenzen
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: lol, says the guy who lives here 9am to 2am. Besides I'm not on here all the time...sometimes I take months long, or even years long breaks from GS

I work from home. Leaving a random comment take 30sec😱Nor do you see me complaining about not having time for X in a video game. Cheating or swiping your credit card to skip the actual game you spent $60 on is the dumbest thing you can do in a video game.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I try not to but I get bored if I'm not making progress. I'm quick to use Google if I can't find something. I had to use it for a few of the shrines in BOTW and also for where to find certain Pokemon in 🛡️

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blaznwiipspman1

@hardwenzen: uhh, good for you. Got your gaming superiority because you don't use cheats and walk through lol. Most people simply don't have the time anymore. Alot of people are parents too.

It's called becoming an adult in society.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: uhh, good for you. Got your gaming superiority because you don't use cheats and walk through lol. Most people simply don't have the time anymore. Alot of people are parents too.

It's called becoming an adult in society.

Excuses and more excuses, bro.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58822 Posts

If a game is unfair, broken or crap, fine.

Anything else obv disgusting and wrong.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Not one bit. It’s your hobby/free time do what you want 😃!

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3041 Posts

It's a lot like Nickelback. You can take the easy road, but you pay with respect.

If you don't want the challenge, you might as well just watch a YouTube video while holding a controller.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1003 Posts

Well part of the game is playing it and unlocking those things and earning them. You are really cheating yourself out of the REAL experience. I would never want to do that in any game I play especially story/rpg type of games.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

The only game I did that with was Fallout 4 because the item duplication trick was so easy and you could replicate those books that issue base stats easy. I no doubt robbed myself of a more rewarding experience but the idea of doing a legit run just seems meh when I remember how annoying it was when you get alerted the settlement areas are under constant attack there's barely a moment to explore or push forward.

First run of RDR2 there was a gold bar exploit so money was never a worry but that got patched and replayed it a couple more times without it and it wasn't any more/less fun to play, I just spent money more responsibly it was still a blast to olay. But at least I didn't feel cheap about it.

Back when I use to play Morrowind on OG Xbox I discovered a leveling trick. The game makes you pick several skills that when you level up enough in those skills it allows for character leveling up, and on occasion put a point in a base stat. This of course will slow down when leveling those skills caps, which means no more increase to base stats. But I discovered a trick where there's gear that will reduce a skill stat a point when worn. Now if you reach 100 in a skill a master trainer can no longer train you, but equip something that penalizes the skill level and go to a master trainer, you can train infinitely and keep getting the base stat enhancements. It got to point I could go anywhere in the game and one hit kill just about anything with ease. Of course, since I had by then got to point I knew the game inside and out, played through it countless times, and this exploit was a late discovery, I never robbed myself of any gratification for playing it as intended.

For Skyrim, first playthrough, I made a build (which I forget how already), but I used some combination of alchemy and or enchantment to have a compounded circularly boosted enhancement to my smithing skills to make much better gear. Discovered that entirely on my own, no online guides or published exploits. Went through whole game with nothing but an OP bow being able to 1-2 shot anything like dragons and trolls. Maybe there I robbed myself with a more rewarding experience but overall I really disliked the game's lack of traditional quest paths like doing Mage's guild or Fighters or Thief guilds, quest structure was horrible and horribly written and in the end those auto-generated quests were awful, just like "the jarl wants you to go kill a troll/dragon, when you finish come back for your reward" or "go here steal 3 things come back for your reward". Such a disappointment.

When I was a kid use to play Doom and Wolfenstein games on PC and couldn't help not using those IDDQD/IDKFA for god mode and ammo. It wouldn't be until years later when these re-released on Xbox I got through these games without cheats. But I did it, finally, after my gaming sensibilities matured.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 WitIsWisdom  Online
Member since 2007 • 9527 Posts

No, it's wrong to cheat in multiplayer games. There is no reason you can't tailor the experience you want to have while playing a game by yourself. That said, I rarely if ever use any cheats in games these days. Not because they aren't fun or anything like that, but mostly because I like to play the game as originally intended and likely wont play it again after completion. I don't know why, but for some reason unknown to even myself I tend to put games on the hardest difficulty (or near it) the first time I play them.. Probably just to add length, strategy, and frustration... lol. Perhaps I'm a masochist.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

As long as there's no form of competition. Do find it annoying when SP games with leaderboards are littered with obvious cheaters at the top. Would say it falls to the devs to implement a system that cleans house. Though to be fair, while some games do have only a finite amount of points, or ways to figure points vs. time to infer an upper limit, other games would be far more difficult to pin down. Speedrunners pull off the seemingly impossible all the time after all.

That being said, kinda works itself out. If competition in a SP game has a dedicated community, said community knows what's what. Just would be nice to look directly at the in game boards and know what you're seeing is legit.

Anyways yeah, in like 99.9% of games it really doesn't matter. We only ever gave you shit about this back in the day because you'd come here with strong opinions on games you blasted your way through with cheats lol. Really nullifies your opinion when you didn't actually play the game.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23876 Posts

I hex edit my saves to make myself super weak, does that count as cheating?

In a strategy game, I might start with next to no funds and whatever ailment I can think of. In an RPG I might be the One Stat Man. In the OG X-Com, I hacked my save so that I had no funding from the nations whatsoever, and had to rely exclusively on piracy to keep my operations afloat.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Not in my book especially if it's your 2nd play through of that game.

Still to this day, I bought the game, and I'll do whatever the hell I want on my SP games.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

Rockstars still support cheat codes on their SP games so yeah. If Rockstars didn't giving me the options to use cheat codes such as infinite health, ammo, etc then I don't know what you call *is it wrong to cheat in SP games?*

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58261 Posts

No, and I kind of feel the same way.

I tend to rage quit when I fail at a game too much. I want to make progress, I don't appreciate the challenge like I did when I was a kid. Games are so long these days as it is, I don't think there is any need to inflate that length with artificial difficulty.

I don't cheat consistently but if I encounter a difficult spot I will press the ol' ~ key and type in some codes to get past a tough area.

@Macutchi said:

probably a bit of a red or at least an amber flag when you feel the need to install trainers on top of a game to avoid grinding

How so?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mrbojangles25
@Maroxad said:

I hex edit my saves to make myself super weak, does that count as cheating?

In a strategy game, I might start with next to no funds and whatever ailment I can think of. In an RPG I might be the One Stat Man. In the OG X-Com, I hacked my save so that I had no funding from the nations whatsoever, and had to rely exclusively on piracy to keep my operations afloat.

lol damn dude that is savage.

I'm just imagining some runner going to the track to compete and looking over and saying "Hey, you guys mind if I run backwards? Might be too easy for me if I don't"

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10413 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

@Macutchi said:

How so?

often doesn't reflect well on the game, too long, too repetitive, poor pacing, structure etc. from one angle my enjoyment of a game negatively correlates with the amount of grinding required. if i feel like im having to do a lot of grindy tasks to progress, so much so that im considering modding the game to save me the pain, that's generally a sign its time to move on

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.

You didn't improve.

You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

@davillain said:

Rockstars still support cheat codes on their SP games so yeah. If Rockstars didn't giving me the options to use cheat codes such as infinite health, ammo, etc then I don't know what you call *is it wrong to cheat in SP games?*

Yo MrD , CAPCOM games as RE or DMC (Infinite DT) , METAL GEAR or DOOM ETERNAL (God Mode) all got cheat codes specially infinite ammo in common as unlockables.

lol

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mrbojangles25
@Macutchi said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Macutchi said:

How so?

often doesn't reflect well on the game, too long, too repetitive, poor pacing, structure etc. from one angle my enjoyment of a game negatively correlates with the amount of grinding required. if i feel like im having to do a lot of grindy tasks to progress, so much so that im considering modding the game to save me the pain, that's generally a sign its time to move on

Ah I see. I thought you meant for the player.

Yeah I can understand that.

That's why I don't really play any soulsborn games, and very few roguelikes. I hate the trial and error in most of those.

inb4 "git gud" lol

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#44 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49566 Posts

It's good when developers disable achievements/trophies when cheats are activated. But feel free to play the game however you want, unless the exploits/cheats effect other players... Then you're a jerk.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17419 Posts

I have used them for a few years to be honest and have recently decided to quit using them because I found myself lacking the desire to play games anymore.

I couldnt figure out why I had such a hard time focusing on games and I decided to really think back to the last time I genuinely enjoyed a game.

The game was The Division 2, a game where you couldn't use trainers or cheats. After that, I decided to try playing without them and Im really starting to enjoy games again.

Also, God of War 2018 isnt a fun game. There, I said it