Is It Too Late to Join WoW

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll Is It Too Late to Join WoW (71 votes)

Yes 32%
No 52%
Only if you haven't played it before. 15%

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/08/10/is-it-too-late-to-join-wow-game-scoop

What do you think to late to join?

• 
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Nah, it's easy to get to max level nowadays and with a new expac around the corner you won't be far behind everyone else at all.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

It's never too late. MMO's usually have a stable economy with equal opportunities to get everything. Obviously an old account will have some exclusives items but that shouldn't deter anyone.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

Good news my friends, worlds of warcrafts is still full of racist 14 year olds who only care about end game content.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Good news my friends, worlds of warcrafts is still full of racist 14 year olds who only care about end game content.

And that's different from every other MMO and COD game how?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

I'd say yes, in the sense that the best moments of the game are gone. MMORPGS are, after all, community driven social games. Now, WOW's community has never been made of saints, but, it was mostly about it in the beginning.

I started near the end of vannila, BC and WotLC where awesome, because it was at the hight of it's popularity. Also, the Burning Crusade, Illidan, Arthas and his armies had a special connection because of WC3.

So, when it was millions of people, growing every month and year, it felt like a huge party that kept getting bigger and bigger, and more and more awesome (IMHO, wrath was the best expac), as people explored the world, did dungeons, pvp, etc? It was highly flawed, but fun.

Obviously, you can still join and have tons of content and fun still nowadays without a problem. But, i personally feel joining today is like coming to the party late.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

It's never too late to join WoW. I've played since vanilla, and while the game has lost a lot of its magic for me, it's still an amazing world for first timers to explore.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shielder7

@rnd_9 said:

Most new MMO's suck too. Elder Scrolls Online is a disaster. Wildstar is decent but the PVP is a f*cking mess in that game.

Yeah but a lot don't require a subscription fee, you can get into Guild Wars 2 without a monthly charge.l

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

A Realm Reborn >>>>> WoW

WoW has become so easy and dumbed down to where I ask the question "What's even the fucking point?"

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shielder7

@Zelda187 said:

A Realm Reborn >>>>> WoW

WoW has become so easy and dumbed down to where I ask the question "What's even the fucking point?"

and here I though consoles were the source of all dumbing down. At least according to herms.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

@Zelda187 said:

A Realm Reborn >>>>> WoW

and here I though consoles were the source of all dumbing down. At least according to herms.

While WoW has been dumbed down, the high end raids and arenas still require more skill than nearly any console title.

Blame activision merger.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Never too late, except I prefer FF14 ARR over WoW, although WoD looks interesting.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shielder7

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Zelda187 said:

A Realm Reborn >>>>> WoW

While WoW has been dumbed down, the high end raids and arenas still require more skill than nearly any console title.

Blame activision merger.

Dude I was on WoW for years on and off. I quite about a year after WotLK came out. It required very little skill back than and was heavy gear focused. I hate to see how it's even more dumbed down mow.

Is activision responsible for kung fu panda as well?

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Not,it isn´t,it´s still one of the best in the genre.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@Shielder7 said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Zelda187 said:

A Realm Reborn >>>>> WoW

Blame activision merger.

it required very little skill

What rank did you make in Arenas? Apart from a handful of fighting games, nothing on consoles came close.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Vaasman  Online
Member since 2008 • 15560 Posts

Yes. Early game is a painfully boring grind. Even if you're willing to spend a shitload on expansions, monthly fees, and possibly on leveling, you'll have to endure a lot to get to the game's actual worthwhile content.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Yeah! It's a cool world just to spend some time with and explore. I never got too into it, but just playing the game and being in the world was really pleasant.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Yes because it sucks and you shouldn't expose yourself to that kind of thing.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#21 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Depends. Do you measure what you do by others? Then yeah.

If you live your own life, understanding that you are never late or missing out on what life wishes for you on life's terms, then no.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

its never too late to waste time playing an incredibly dull, repetitive, and mind numbingly boring game

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23886 Posts

I would say yes. The game lost all its magic and Warlords of Draenor looks to bring it down further into the abyss. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if that expansion would have a metascore around 5.5.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shielder7

@RoboCopISJesus said:

What rank did you make in Arenas? Apart from a handful of fighting games, nothing on consoles came close.

So what now you're going to tell me it was skill was only involved in PvP? Low 1700s and 1800s in 2vs2 and 3vs3 and that was only half assing.

dude there's no sill involved in wow especially when it came to classes like locks, not tat anyother class required skill but others you at least had to work.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I wouldn't join it if you've never played it.....but only regarding this Xpac.

The new Xpac is coming out relatively soon and if you've never played the game before....you won't get to really enjoy a lot by the time you reach top level. Everyone will be doing high end raids....and everyone will be 100x better than you.

I'd wait until the next Xpac comes out.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

If anyone is even thinking about buying wow right now, they really need to play FFXIV. it has a free trial now.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shielder7
@bbkkristian said:

If anyone is even thinking about buying wow right now, they really need to play FFXIV. it has a free trial now.

Isn't the New Ever Crack coming out soon as well?

I don't think they're charging any subscription fee.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

A Realm Reborn >>>>> WoW

You talk about being easy and dumbed down while mentioning ARR, a game with a GCD so long, I die of boredom just playing it. Yes, the entry level for content in WoW is lower than it was before, but the top tier PvE is still up there with any other MMO on the market in terms of difficulty, and PvP is still where the real challenge is.

Is it too late to join WoW? No. Are WoW's best years behind it? Absolutely. FF14 is fine, but severely limited by its crossplay with PS3 & PS4. People can talk all they want about the WoW being dumbed down, but it's competitive PvP is on another level to FF14 (although I wouldn't recommend either), and the competitive PvE is ahead of FF14.

Wildstar, EVE, and Guild Wars 2 are better options. Wildstar has dungeons more challenging than some WoW & FF14 raids, it's pretty darn incredible at times. EVE is just unique in the MMO space, and GW2 is sub free.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shielder7

@Consternated said:

Is it too late to join WoW? No. Are WoW's best years behind it?

Well that does beg the question of why bother then?

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Consternated

In terms of content, lore, polish, longevity (even going into the future), it's unsurpassed. People might prefer the artstyle or action combat of games like GW2 and Wildstar, but overall, WoW is still the highest quality MMO experience on the market. It's an all-time great, and love it or hate it, it's had an immense impact on the industry.

But personally, I don't care about it that much anymore. I just call it how I see it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I picked No, because I don't think there is ever a bad time to join an MMO unless a sequel has been announced or Servers are about to go down, but I remember reading a lot of Posts about the grand old days of WoW Raids and such during Vanilla and Burning Crusade. I think Wrath of the Lich King was the peak point of joining WoW and when Cataclysm came out something was lost. I was never big on WoW so I don't know what changes Blizzard made to WoW, but it's clear to me that the WoW of today is not the WoW that many enjoyed and loved.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

Very saddening gamers assume complexity by default means a better game. As an old hardcore pc gamer who use to play complex intellectual titles (before consoles redesigned them for pop culture youth) even we did would not be as so foolish to make such nonsensical claims.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

WoW is one of those MMOs where it's never too late to join. Tons of people at all level ranges, and a thriving max level community. Blizzard also does the best job of making sure you catch up quickly to others if you're just coming back.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Probably not, but I don't think someone new to MMOs would like the leveling experience, especially compared to something like Guild Wars 2 (which was made for new MMO players).

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Shielder7: I doubt it's adopting a f2p style anytime soon. They have a steady amount of returning subscribers. I used to think f2p style was the way to go, but after playing this, I retracted that opinion. I noticed the amount of content that was being added per monthly patch, adding game modes, and more bosses. Free to play says to strip content to entice gamers to pay money for the full version. That means your game has failed to look appealing.

My new opinion on the matter is to pay the amount for the game (like you do every other AAA video game), spend your 30 days free enjoying ALL the content, make some friends, and then decide if it's worth it to you to spend $13 to continue.

@Consternated: How is ffxiv limited by ps3?

SkootlesMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SkootlesMcGee
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Too late? Nah. But now's not a great time. Not until the new expansion anyway. The current one is kind of.. dragging.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@bbkkristian: From what I know hunts are pretty much impossible on the PS3, although the PS4 version has no issues from what I know of.

Anyways back to the topic, if you wanna pve play FF14 ARR, if you wanna pvp, play WoW as a Mage and enjoy never being nerfed (except that one time near the end of BC).

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shielder7

@rnd_9 said:

@Shielder7 said:

@rnd_9 said:

Most new MMO's suck too. Elder Scrolls Online is a disaster. Wildstar is decent but the PVP is a f*cking mess in that game.

Yeah but a lot don't require a subscription fee, you can get into Guild Wars 2 without a monthly charge.l

Guild Wars 2 population is barely existent though. Free to play is the worst thing that can happen to an MMO.

What? are you suggesting FTP hurts MMOs and is Guild Wars 2 was subscription based it would be doing better?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The only thing that comes to my mind when i talk about WoW is how atrocious its art style is. There's no other art directions i hate more than the one in WoW and Darksiders, absolutely awful.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shielder7
@bbkkristian said:

@Shielder7: I doubt it's adopting a f2p style anytime soon. They have a steady amount of returning subscribers.

Well according to the little video subscribers have decreased by half.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RoboCopISJesus

@Shielder7 said:
@bbkkristian said:

@Shielder7: I doubt it's adopting a f2p style anytime soon. They have a steady amount of returning subscribers.

Well according to the little video subscribers have decreased by half.

The end result still being more subs than all other subscription MMOS combined. They won't be going f2p for a very very long time.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I bought WoW last year and the beginning was still very active by players, but it just wasn't for me, the game was all over the place and I tought by myself: 'Is this even money worthy every month?' Nope, maybe back in the day but not now.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zelda187

@uninspiredcup said:

Very saddening gamers assume complexity by default means a better game. As an old hardcore pc gamer who use to play complex intellectual titles (before consoles redesigned them for pop culture youth) even we did would not be as so foolish to make such nonsensical claims.

The problem is that WoW has become so watered down and easy to the point where you feel like you're NEVER being challenged throughout the PvE content. Personally, I don't really give two shits about PvP so if the PvE segment of an MMO isn't engaging to me, then it's basically a waste of time. You aren't getting to the meat and potatoes of WoW's PvP content until you pretty much max out a character anyway.

A Realm Reborn's storyline (including class and company storylines) is also sooooooo much better than anything WoW will ever throw at you.

Also, the class, job and crafting systems are all second to none IMO.

I really don't see where WoW has the upper hand on RR besides PvP content and maybe having a bigger community, which is in part due to WoW being around for a decade and the fact that you need a pretty decent PC to play RR.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

and what do you care about in FFXIV exactly? mobile-phone like dailies "oh im gonna log on do my roulettes..... then... then...." hush your noise Uninspired.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

The problem is that WoW has become so watered down and easy to the point where you feel like you're NEVER being challenged throughout the PvE content. Personally, I don't really give two shits about PvP so if the PvE segment of an MMO isn't engaging to me, then it's basically a waste of time. You aren't getting to the meat and potatoes of WoW's PvP content until you pretty much max out a character anyway.

A Realm Reborn's storyline (including class and company storylines) is also sooooooo much better than anything WoW will ever throw at you.

I really don't see where WoW has the upper hand on RR besides PvP content and maybe having a bigger community, which is in part due to WoW being around for a decade and the fact that you need a pretty decent PC to play RR.

sorry, as a FFXIV player myself... you jsut called WoW's end-game easy? and then complimented FFXIV? cmon mate..... the heroic modes are much better than anything on FFXIV and I prefer FFXIV. the only upside is graphics and epic feeling on FF fights... but WoW's are much harder.

Not to mention they are not limited to friggin 8 mans..... 1 hard 8 man dungeon every 6 months is a joke. (but then again so its MoP not having any new content in over a year). Point of the matter is WoW has better questing, better Dailys, better raids ... better PvE all round. and then it has somewhat competant PvP.

I gotta laugh though "Job/class system second to none" wtf really? I LOVE being able to change jobs on the go... I really do... but the classes are incredibly shallow, no ways to custimise them other than adding mandatory other class skills with little choice..... it really is shallow.

Crafting... you have apoint, its a good system, its a shame the market in the game is so godamn terrible and doesn't really support crafting focused gameplay... but what can I say.

I hope Yoshi gets his head screwed on and actually stops babying every damn piece of content in the game on the first expansion.... currently.... its so so shallow.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Consternated

@bbkkristian said:
@Consternated: How is ffxiv limited by ps3?

I can't imagine the game would have that retard global cooldown if it didn't have to cater for controller users. The PvE skill ceiling of ARR is miles below WoW for that very reason alone, and WoW is lagging behind Wildstar in a similar way.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

Not really. I couldn't get out of the 2 week trial though it was too boring for me.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zelda187

@MBirdy88 said:

@Zelda187 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

sorry, as a FFXIV player myself... you jsut called WoW's end-game easy? and then complimented FFXIV? cmon mate..... the heroic modes are much better than anything on FFXIV and I prefer FFXIV. the only upside is graphics and epic feeling on FF fights... but WoW's are much harder.

Not to mention they are not limited to friggin 8 mans..... 1 hard 8 man dungeon every 6 months is a joke. (but then again so its MoP not having any new content in over a year). Point of the matter is WoW has better questing, better Dailys, better raids ... better PvE all round. and then it has somewhat competant PvP.

I gotta laugh though "Job/class system second to none" wtf really? I LOVE being able to change jobs on the go... I really do... but the classes are incredibly shallow, no ways to custimise them other than adding mandatory other class skills with little choice..... it really is shallow.

Crafting... you have apoint, its a good system, its a shame the market in the game is so godamn terrible and doesn't really support crafting focused gameplay... but what can I say.

I hope Yoshi gets his head screwed on and actually stops babying every damn piece of content in the game on the first expansion.... currently.... its so so shallow.

I never said that WoW's end-game is easy...but the PvE content leading all the way up to lvl 90?

Yes, it's incredibly easy. All the way to the point where no strategy or gameplanning is really needed at all. Just stand still and commence the click-fest.

And as far as storyline goes, I never felt engaged in WoW at all.

FF: RR's storyline however feels incredibly engaging and is so well constructed to the point where it would be pleasing in a single player FF release. You actually feel like your character is making a difference and is the savior that the world needs.