Is it time to admit that Phil Spencer is a con man?

• 109 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

Now I know that I'm going to get called a "cow", "triggered" or whatever corny terms people who dislike what I have to say call me. But to note I was actually ROOTING for this guy in what he had in store for the Xbox brand. But in all serious this guy is a con man. He's the new Peter Molyneux but arguably worse.

Sure its EASY to blame Don Mattrick but its 2018 now and Mattrick has been gone. It was common SENSE to fix his mistakes or else the Xbox brand would be nowhere. Phil Spencer simply took advantage of that by saying "I'm for gamers" unlike Mattrick. Anyone could have did that.

You had many people championing him because he got all the credit for just reversing the stupid shit the previous guy did. But again what has HE done? It is 2018 people... And the Xbox One STILL repeat STILL does not have a new and quality triple A game! Its 2018! Meanwhile Sony has MANY including the already existing franchises. Where is the Xbox's Bloodborne? Where is the Xbox's Horizon?

You constantly see him congratulating Sony for their exclusives and what not. But how about actually INVESTING in some new exclusives for the Xbox? We don't care how much of a humble man you are how about you put your money where your mouth is? He's been going on for YEARS saying "first party this,first party that", but what has he actually done? Except cancelling what little exclusives they have like Scalebound and phantom dust? That's when I fully knew he was full of it. Then with heavily downgrading Crackdown so that it looks worse on better hardware, and continue to run his mouth with absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

Under his watch most if not all Microsoft games are now on pc. What is the point of that? To sell less consoles? Another example how he is full of shit is that he'll say stuff he knows won't happen just to get pop online and look like the "good guy." For example he says he wants PS4 and Xbox gamers to have cross platform multiplayer or he wants Banjo in Smash Bros.

Mind you this is stuff that if he actually wanted it to happen he could go through the proper channels and try to get to happen quietly and only talk publicly about it when there's something to announce. No he goes to the press with it out in the open but doesn't lay the groundwork to get it done and people give him credit for saying the stuff.

But to make matters worse you have him saying crap like this to excuse Scalebound getting cancelled.

" Scalebound was killed by hype, suggests Xbox boss Phil Spencer"

Then you had the controversial about his statements on single player games then only doing a 180 after the Horizon success.

All in all this guy is just selling Xbox owners dreams. He is a snake oil salemen. He is still apart of the Microsoft culture where they refuse to take risks in actually investing in stuff important for the Xbox brand which is new Ips. No Phil takes as little risks and depends on third parties. He invests in stuff no one asked for like the X1X. New Ips are real risk worth investments. Sure he had done good stuff like reversing Mattrick's silly decisions but that was MANDATORY for the Xbox brand....

I hope I am proven wrong by the upcoming E3....

bromuda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 bromuda
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

I've never seen so many meltdowns, can this just become an Xbox forum because that seems to be the only thing people are talking about lol

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@bromuda said:

I've never seen so many meltdowns, can this just become an Xbox forum because that seems to be the only thing people are talking about lol

Lol I know... it's bizarre.

I suppose it's a good sign if people (in particular, cows) can't stop talking about Xbox (especially the X).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
@bromuda said:

Meltdown? No I'm legit disappointed because I want the Xbox brand to COMPETE with the PS4. Me who preferred the Xbox brand over Playstation. But yea I'm a PS fanboy.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@blessedbyhorus said:

Now I know that I'm going to get called a "cow", "triggered" or whatever corny terms people who dislike what I have to say call me. But to note I was actually ROOTING for this guy in what he had in store for the Xbox brand. But in all serious this guy is a con man. He's the new Peter Molyneux but arguably worse.

Sure its EASY to blame Don Mattrick but its 2018 now and Mattrick has been gone. It was common SENSE to fix his mistakes or else the Xbox brand would be nowhere. Phil Spencer simply took advantage of that by saying "I'm for gamers" unlike Mattrick. Anyone could have did that.

You had many people championing him because he got all the credit for just reversing the stupid shit the previous guy did. But again what has HE done? It is 2018 people... And the Xbox One STILL repeat STILL does not have a new and quality triple A game! Its 2018! Meanwhile Sony has MANY including the already existing franchises. Where is the Xbox's Bloodborne? Where is the Xbox's Horizon?

You constantly see him congratulating Sony for their exclusives and what not. But how about actually INVESTING in some new exclusives for the Xbox? We don't care how much of a humble man you are how about you put your money where your mouth is? He's been going on for YEARS saying "first party this,first party that", but what has he actually done? Except cancelling what little exclusives they have like Scalebound and phantom dust? That's when I fully knew he was full of it. Then with heavily downgrading Crackdown so that it looks worse on better hardware, and continue to run his mouth with absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

Under his watch most if not all Microsoft games are now on pc. What is the point of that? To sell less consoles? Another example how he is full of shit is that he'll say stuff he knows won't happen just to get pop online and look like the "good guy." For example he says he wants PS4 and Xbox gamers to have cross platform multiplayer or he wants Banjo in Smash Bros.

Mind you this is stuff that if he actually wanted it to happen he could go through the proper channels and try to get to happen quietly and only talk publicly about it when there's something to announce. No he goes to the press with it out in the open but doesn't lay the groundwork to get it done and people give him credit for saying the stuff.

But to make matters worse you have him saying crap like this to excuse Scalebound getting cancelled.

" Scalebound was killed by hype, suggests Xbox boss Phil Spencer"

Then you had the controversial about his statements on single player games then only doing a 180 after the Horizon success.

All in all this guy is just selling Xbox owners dreams. He is a snake oil salemen. He is still apart of the Microsoft culture where they refuse to take risks in actually investing in stuff important for the Xbox brand which is new Ips. No Phil takes as little risks and depends on third parties. He invests in stuff no one asked for like the X1X. New Ips are real risk worth investments. Sure he had done good stuff like reversing Mattrick's silly decisions but that was MANDATORY for the Xbox brand....

I hope I am proven wrong by the upcoming E3....

Scalebound with UE4 and open world runs poorly on XBO. Forza Horizon 3's engine is better handling open world with good graphics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@ronvalencia:

If this was the case then they should have delayed it and figured out an engine that worked best. Or not just announce it so early...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

Damn, what happen to all the PC threads here lately? All I see is nothing but the damn worthless Xbox One threads!

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@davillain-: Go create your own then, when was your last PC thread by the way???

As for the OP, well TL;DR comes to mind.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ronvalencia

@blessedbyhorus said:

@ronvalencia:

If this was the case then they should have delayed it and figured out an engine that worked best. Or not just announce it so early...

Forward Plus render (as per AMD's recommendation over deferred rendering) and efficient open world processing... these items that are late for UE4.

X1X GPU was modified to handle UE4's deferred rendering, but it's too late for XBO.

Forza Horizon 3 has Forward Plus render and PBR combination.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5b883bb846c10
@ronvalencia said:
@blessedbyhorus said:

@ronvalencia:

Forward Plus render (as per AMD's recommendation over deferred rendering) and efficient open world processing... these items that are late for UE4.

X1X GPU was modified to handle UE4's deferred rendering, but it's too late for XBO.

Then why would they choose this type of engine for Scalebound when the XBO wouldn't be able to handle it at the time?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ronvalencia

@blessedbyhorus said:
@ronvalencia said:
@blessedbyhorus said:

@ronvalencia:

Then why would they choose this type of engine for Scalebound when the XBO wouldn't be able to handle it at the time?

Scalebound was out-sourced to Platinum Games. Ask PG for thier UE4 selection for Scalebound.

Platinum Game's Nier Automata was an in-house game engine not UE4.

Recent UE4 builds has Forward Plus render option which increases rendering performance on AMD GPUs, but it's too late for Scalebound.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@ronvalencia:

Okay then I'll give MS that one.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

He's only good at congratulating Sony

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ronvalencia

@jtothamtothap said:

He's only good at congratulating Sony

Acknowledging Sony's efforts are better than non-recognition (head-in-the-sand).

Remember, MS is great at copying (assimilating)... for example

1. CP/M = MS-DOS. Both business model and OS structures near clone. CP/M was a leading clone machine OS.

2. Google search, advertising analytics and Android business model = Bing search, advertising analytics and Windows 10

3. Nintendo's game console business model = Xbox

4. DEC's VMX OS= Windows NT core. Windows NT's OS core structures are not original and was sued by DEC. Combined Intel, Compaq and MS killed DEC.

Intel was sued by DEC for copying IP from Alpha RISC CPUs. Intel and Compaq bought-out DEC.

PC master race wolf-pack destroyed DEC. Alpha RISC CPU has the lead on high clock speed until AMD (with includes ex-DEC engineers) vs Intel Ghz clock speed wars.

5. XBO Kinect = Wii/Wii U motion controls. Wii was the leading last gen game console .

6. Word Perfect for Windows = MS Word. Word Perfect was the leading Word processing software.

7. Lotus 123 for Windows = MS Excel. Lotus 128 was the leading Spread Sheet software.

MS Basic was MS's original work.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

I thought this forum is to discuss games, not insult people who work in the industry.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#16 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

I thought this forum is to discuss games, not insult people who work in the industry.

Which industry are you referring to?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@i_p_daily: At least I make threads here in SW from time to time. You on the other hand hardly don't! Let that sink in?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@bromuda said:

Hello new user.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Personally he is. Yeah he has turned xbox one into a viable platform to play but he is at microsoft, one of the biggest and most profitable company in the world. Xbox and phil has money to spend. Saying xbox head honcho dont give him money to spend is a bad excuse, they know the industry is big.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#20 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

I think it's time to admit ms is the next Sega in terms of success .. the 360 was thier most successful but still got beat just like Sega genesis

Thier first and 3rd are not to great

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I’m sure people think that Phill is the only person that works at MS. Like some kind of cartoon pantomime villain.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I dislike him as well and laugh at the Philly boys who so eagerly defend him.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

That was some serious ranting right there, from op.

As to Phil, MS has a long history of putting the least qualified people in charge of their projects. that's tradition, that is. And you cannot argue with tradition. no siree.

But heres a question; why do you care? Why? I mean if you want to play awesome exclusives and great games, just go out and buy PS4 or Switch. It dont cost much. Problem solved. And as to those that insist on sticking it out with xbox, refusing any other console, well, to hell with them.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Most people trying to promote the company they work for are full of shit. Not sure if that equals "con man".

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts
@henrythefifth said:

That was some serious ranting right there, from op.

As to Phil, MS has a long history of putting the least qualified people in charge of their projects. that's tradition, that is. And you cannot argue with tradition. no siree.

But heres a question; why do you care? Why? I mean if you want to play awesome exclusives and great games, just go out and buy PS4 or Switch. It dont cost much. Problem solved. And as to those that insist on sticking it out with xbox, refusing any other console, well, to hell with them.

I think we have the right to show our dissatisfaction for a product, especially if the previous hardware didn't have such problems (major lack of 1st/3rd party exclusives). I got a 360 for the exclusives, ****** Ninja Gaiden 2 (at the time), GeoW series, Dead or Alive 4, Dead Rising (at the time) and better performing multiplats. I did get a PS3 the same year, but only because I'm a greedy a**hole :P

Probably not a surprise that I went with the PS4 first this gen, like many others. Got Xbone a LOT later.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@davillain- said:

@i_p_daily: At least I make threads here in SW from time to time. You on the other hand hardly don't! Let that sink in?

Oh I've made a fair few threads, and yeah you make hype threads for CONSOLE games and yet you claim to be a hermit, let that sink in dav.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Well written post, TC. I agree with you 100%. Xbox fans need to demand more from MS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#28 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

How about waiting for E3?

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Didn’t read. But I was see Phil Spencer is just a face that MS use to promote Xbox.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain  Moderator
@i_p_daily said:
@davillain- said:

Oh I've made a fair few threads, and yeah you make hype threads for CONSOLE games and yet you claim to be a hermit, let that sink in dav.

1. PC games don't need to be hype, that's only for console brand exclusive games. PC exclusive stand on there own.
  2. I'll ask again, is there any PC exclusive game you like to see a hype thread?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:
@davillain- said:

1. PC games don't need to be hype, that's only for console brand exclusive games. PC exclusive stand on there own.
  2. I'll ask again, is there any PC exclusive game you like to see a hype thread?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator

@i_p_daily: I know the truth hurts you, not all console gamers wouldn't understand how PC exclusive works around here. I'm sorry if I broke you're heart.

All better now ^-^

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

ill wait till e3 then have a say, its been 4 years for phil has had enough time that if he has done anything really we will hear about it then. everything else till now hasn't been him but the last guy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@davillain- said:

@i_p_daily: I know the truth hurts you, not all console gamers wouldn't understand how PC exclusive works around here. I'm sorry if I broke you're heart.

All better now ^-^

So what you're saying is, as a fake hermit you don't know what's coming out on PC, so you will try and deflect with disastrous results.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@i_p_daily: What makes you think I was a Hermit to begin with? I'm a gamer first & foremost and I happen to love gaming on my PC. My PS4 & Nintendo Switch also gets more gaming when it comes to exclusives.

It's a good thing I'm a fanboy of games, can't imagine what it's like to be a stuck up fanboy.....who happens to be MS fanboy like you.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

@bromuda said:

Hahahahaha so true. All part of the genius at MS and Xbox Won strategy. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Not sure why people blame Phil or Don for that matter, they are mere puppets who also have bosses to respond to. Don was scapegoated, and Phil still takes orders, i bet he has jackshit say on the direction of Xbox.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#38 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
@onesiphorus said:

Where were you years ago? Iwata got nothing but insults on this board when he ran Nintendo.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Phil is likely just the middle man between the suits calling the shots and the consumers. That is a very important job, and I'm sure he is allowed to give his two cents at meetings and such, but I really doubt he has any say in Xbox hardware and software design.

All that said, I hope they're starting to realize over there that with even 2 or 3 more 1st party studios Xbox would have a much more attractive "exclusive" offering every year.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

? Phil is a puppet like the lems who follow him.

It’s really the blind leading the blind. They are all puppets to the whims of the higher ups at MS.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#42 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

@quadknight said:

It’s really the blind leading the blind. They are all puppets to the whims of the higher ups at MS.

Says the mega Sony tool.? This forum is golden.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

@ronvalencia: what I always say, m$ is a shit company with a lot of money.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Phil Lyin' Cryin' Spencer.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Phil is the guy you bring to steady the ship but, phil is not the guy you bring to search for new horizons.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts
@Pedro said:
@quadknight said:

Says the mega Sony tool.? This forum is golden.

^ ^ ? Says the hardcore lem puppet who rushes into threads to defend his "Dear Leader".

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2925 Posts

@blessedbyhorus: I liked the original xbox, I loved the 360 Xbox and preferred it over ps3. But this generation I had to buy a PS4, because it is just so much better than the xbox One. I was excited about the xbox one until they killed all the hype with DRM, kinect and crap like that. The xbox one had the most embarrasing launch of any Microsoft console. Since then, it has improved a great deal, but it is too late now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I agree. I never believed the "look at me, I'm the good guy" attitude of Phil Spencer. Aaron Greenberg is an idiot but at least the guy is honest

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1847 Posts
@blessedbyhorus said:
@bromuda said:

Meltdown? No I'm legit disappointed because I want the Xbox brand to COMPETE with the PS4. Me who preferred the Xbox brand over Playstation. But yea I'm a PS fanboy.

They're just going to insult you now. They are still in denial. The same thing happened with the Wii U. At first people were defending them. Though when Nintendo revealed that they are releasing the NX soon, they admitted that it sucked and started talking about how Nintendo can improve with the NX. I imagine that the same thing will happen with the Xbox One once Microsoft tells them they're releasing a brand new console.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Its going to take time but looks like things are moving forward.

3rd party support will get better now that Game Pass is an option for developers along with Play Anywhere Titles. I know of some upcoming titles taking advantage of this. Then MS has a new dedicated cloud gaming division to work with studios in game development and using MS Cloud tech to aid in development.

Still going to have to wait for the new IP from MS to come, it took Sony until the end of PS3 and hit full stride with 1p for Ps4. Will have to wait and see whats to come at E3.

With all that the constant updates and value being added into xbox live and the MS BC team have proved to build a solid backbone to build upon 1p IP in the upcoming years.

I think Phil has done a great job in correcting the ship and MS Team can only go up. The recent active engagement numbers are pretty impressive that just came out and seems like the mass majority are happy gaming on xbox live.