blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16594 Posts

All I'm seeing nowadays is remasters, remakes. Of all, I think sony has been the most shameless. Re releasing spiderman even though it's a 2 year old game. Death stranding, ghosts of tsushima. They're followed closely by EA, re releasing fucking dead space. Nintendo does it but not as often. MS...I don't recall them doing remaster.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Don't buy them if you see it as a problem, BAMMMM, problem solved.

People seem to like them or they wouldn't be releasing so many.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Master Chief Collection.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

Its the definition of cancer in gaming. I prefer loot boxes being in good new games (which i ignore 100% of the time) than having a full year of rehashed shit that i have already owned and beaten years ago.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15989 Posts

Nintendo does it for years, no one bats an eye. Everyone else does it and people loses their minds.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

If all you see are remasters, then you are ignoring 99.9% of what's available. Also we always had remasters and remakes, they simply weren't called that way. Remember Super Mario All Stars?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

The gaming industry is to lazy and greedy to develop new IP's it's almost a rarity at this point. I miss the good old days when we get new amazing IP's every year.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

This is not even just a gaming thing... look at hollywood. People are out of ideas and adverse to risk.

That being said there is still good out there, just not in the AAA/ blockbuster category.

Deathloop and Starfield will be the breath of fresh air that everyone needs in the AAA scene.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25052 Posts
@warmblur said:

The gaming industry is to lazy and greedy to develop new IP's I miss the good old days when we get new amazing IP's every year..

Yeah sure we never got new IPs.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59296 Posts

It's the time of bullshits.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44493 Posts

I don’t mind them at all myself, there’s been quite a few that I’ve purchased and really enjoyed all over again. Still a lot of great games from the past that I’d love to see get remastered/remade as well.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5288 Posts

I think this is an over-blown concern for only a small minority of hardcore gamers who need to broaden their gaming horizons. There is more to the gaming market today than just remasters.

If gamers do not like the number of remasters in the market, then do not buy them; do not care about them. Just ignore them.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6192 Posts

Certainly is and what's worse is having to pay full price for them on PS5.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

2 remasters and a bunch of new games and the lemming is crying. Is that because MFS failed?

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1268 Posts

I'm ok with them .. if they're good quality and priced reasonably (which ofcourse Nintendo would never do).

If there's a decent PC version of a game then I'm good... but there are some games stuck on the PS3 for instance that could definitely use a touch up.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2258 Posts

Why make new games when you can just update the graphic ( you know what the master race call settings…) and maybe add a new level or something and then slap a 70$ price tag on it and call it a day??

Personally I blame P5R really starting this trend( know they ain’t the first), let’s release the same game on the same platform and add some new content and everyone will praise it as the best game 2019 for the pls4??? I mean wtf??? P5 was was great when I played it in 2016 on my PS4, releasing the same game 3 years later with some new content doesn’t equals a new game??

But yeah Atlas got away with it for some reason and fans and review sites ate it up… after that the industri probably decided, why make new games when people happily buy the same game 2-3 times at full price!

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mesome713

@djoffer123: Thank goodness it didn’t sell good. They’ll think twice now.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts

The remasters are lazy, I'll agree. The Mass Effect remaster is definitely meh since they didn't even bother to fix the awful movement system.

But, can't say that I don't enjoy the full-on remakes. I'm actually excited about the Dead Space remake; hoping they add in the ray tracing goodness and what not. I also enjoyed the Mafia and Resident Evil 2 remake.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16594 Posts

@mesome713: MCC isn't really a remaster. It's just a digitization of halo 1 to 3, with HD resolution. MS isn't going to update the engine or remaster in the sense of milking sales. That wasn't their purpose.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mesome713

@blaznwiipspman1: I see, I guess thats why it didn’t sell good. Even Nintendo did more on the Skyward Sword Remaster.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11699 Posts

I blame MK8 for this.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VFighter

@blaznwiipspman1: MCC is a remaster, it's why you can switch between the original graphics and the new updated look.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8372 Posts

@mesome713: skyward sword they did hardly anything lol

Halo MCC is Halo 1, Halo 1 Anniversary, halo 2 halo 2 anniversary, halo 3, halo 3 odst, Halo reach, halo 4.

It supports forge mode, custom game types and mp for every game.

Skyward sword is a Wii port for switch. That now let's you use buttons to attack instead of flailing around like a jackass

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8372 Posts

Best remaster in years was THPS 1&2

Hope they do something like that with SSX

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#26 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19679 Posts

Not a problem if it's a full-blown remake, like RE2 and FFVII. But most are just lazy remasters.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Thank GOD for remasters, remakes, AA and indies to fill the void that AAA games have left while we wait around a decade for the next GTA or Elder Scrolls. It's getting pointless to try to keep up with the latest console hardware when AAA games can skip a generation, like the games I mentioned.

If you think about it, gen 7 was the last time we had a lot of new franchises, and gen 8 and now gen 9 are nothing but remasters and remakes of those gens' games.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Xbox leading the way in the FREE upgrades to older games be it through horsepower of the hardware, backwards compatibility programme or next gen greatness like hellblade and gears 5

Meanwhile cows get their udders pulled harder than a tug-of-war teams practice session

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 690 Posts

I guess it depends on the remakes and how they are presented. The Final Fantasy 7 remake is of a game out in the 90s which, for some, is a game they have never played. It is either a nostalgia trip or a new experience that can get you into the old one. The remake has given us a good game with a good combat system so it is win-win.

For me the new Yakuza remasters are like that. I never played the originals so I am getting the remasters as a way of playing the series for the first time. I played all the Uncharted games before the remasters so I have no interest in buying them - you would have to be really into it for that.

I bought both Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royale and there is enough difference between the two games to make it worthwhile. Only someone who hasn't played P5R won't agree. I would love some of the older Persona and SMT games to come to the PS5. I would also like to be able to buy a PS5, but this shortage allows me a curmudgeonly moan all the time - so there is some good to come from the shortage!

The biggest culprit is Rockstar who are seriously trying to sell the same game on three different generations of consoles. Though there will be millions of suckers who will re-buy the game for the third time.

In short though - if someone wants to buy a remake and it is a good game, what is better - a good remake or a mediocre new IP?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9593 Posts

The biggest reason people say they like remasters is because they never played the originals. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people buy them if they enjoyed the original game, but it's turned more into a culture thing online with the whole "oh memories" thing even though they never played the game to begin with... lol.

Like I've said many times, why not just make a new game in the same style, gameplay, world, etc. Like a direct prequel or sequel. You don't see that very often and when you do they usually screw up the game by trying to fix things that weren't broke.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45429 Posts

You must've been born after last gen 😆

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

What do you guys think about the LOU remake or remaster?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VFighter

@robbie23: I'd have to see what they do with it.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I'd obviously like companies to try new games with every attempt, but with risk aversion a lot of developers and publishers shy away from it.

But if you're asking me would I rather have remakes of some solid game, vs , more games as a service/battle royal/loot box sh*t, I'll always side with remakes. I won't touch the latter which I see as a bigger cancer on gaming.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3142 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@djoffer123: Thank goodness it didn’t sell good. They’ll think twice now.

Selling more than 50 percent of the original when the vast majority of your production costs were already covered by the first release certainly has them thinking twice about doing this with even more games.

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

How about a GOOD new IP?

oh I guess thats too much to ask in todays mediocre world.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen  Online

Only Sony is manly enough to create new IP's these days. And look what it does to fanboys. Returnal has destroyed every lem, sheep and hermit on SW. And let me remind you, its a 9/10 masterpiece that YOU WILL NEVER PLAY.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

All I'm seeing nowadays is remasters, remakes. Of all, I think sony has been the most shameless. Re releasing spiderman even though it's a 2 year old game. Death stranding, ghosts of tsushima. They're followed closely by EA, re releasing fucking dead space. Nintendo does it but not as often. MS...I don't recall them doing remaster.

Sony is just following Nintendo's lead. That's their MO, just copy what someone else is doing.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#40 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6107 Posts

Come on Atari??? Where’s our E.T. Remaster??? 10/10 GS review.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Only Sony is manly enough to create new IP's these days. And look what it does to fanboys. Returnal has destroyed every lem, sheep and hermit on SW. And let me remind you, its a 9/10 masterpiece that YOU WILL NEVER PLAY.

Have you played it yet?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hardwenzen  Online

@thedork_knight said:
@hardwenzen said:

Have you played it yet?

Being shipped to me. I know what to expect, tho. 9/10 masterpiece ez pz new franchise.

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#43 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

Whenever I see remasters I am tempted, tempted to look in a second hand store for the original for £1 that is.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

It's the time of "how can I release a game with the least amount of effort and costs possible and charge $70 for it."

Just like with evolution, be it biological or technological, new eras are the most diverse, and over time, diversity and uniqueness fades as certain things begin to dominate a niche. Modern gaming really began in the late 90s with the explosion of 3D gaming and over time has faded, with many of the genres, titles, and mechanics sort of blending into one. This left us in a situation where developers have actually forgotten how to be creative, and only know how to chase what is trendy at the moment.

So, what's the cheapest and laziest way to make a quick buck in gaming today? Simple, take a story that is already written, characters that are already designed, and slap them into a genre that is currently popular. End result? A Remake. It's why the Resident EVil 2 and 3 remakes and the Tomb Raider reboots ended up third person shooters, why a Metal Gear Solid remake would be too. At this point, they're recycling content from a time when they were actually creative, and slapping it on a pre-existing engine because they're too lazy to do otherwise, and too chicken shit to try something new.