Is it Sony against the world at this point?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 24510 Posts

MS sold their soul to PC and Nintendo. Nintendo does its own thing. PC is stronger than ever, picking up old console exclusives. That leaves Sony to fend for itself. Do you think it can continue to be number one, SW? Can it still stand out and win the hearts and minds of gamers next gen? Or will they bow to pressure and change their ways?

DonaId

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DonaId
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts

How could Microsoft sell their soul to pc when they were in pc gaming before console gaming?

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By aia89
Member since 2009 • 2827 Posts

You need to get out of that mentality of single platform exclusive content. We are in 2019 and there are different ways and devices to access services from. It's only logical that Microsoft brings content across their ecosystem.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 2596 Posts

Sony is only in a world where PC and Nintendo doesn't exist.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

Sony are doubling down on their approach because they know the market is changing, and they need profits now to weather the fact that they are simply nowhere near ready to match Google/Microsoft/Amazon in the new generation streaming arms race.

Physical gaming won't disappear, just like physical games won't ... but a significant portion of the market will shift.

Those saying "buh buh PSNOW" ... yea .... it was first.... but to believe for a second that it will scale as quickly as Google/Azure/AWS is quite laughable.

The west just handles this stuff far better..... god knows how Nintendo will manage...... "Buy a £280 portable, or just hook your phone/tablet onto a controller and play any game you want?" ... especially if 5G is as good as its being touted to be.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 4232 Posts

Ms sold its soul to PC? Really? Wouldn't PC gamers say that ms sold its soul to xbox when the first console launched?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39200 Posts

So...MS always been about PC and them going with Nintendo is only rumors.

Classic OP

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 1792 Posts

Psnow is the largest game streaming service in the world. Google and Microsoft need to step their game up.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1245 Posts

More like they are the last ones using forced exclusivity as a crutch that hasn't been working for an entire generation

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 1460 Posts

Years ago i said that the last console to be released that will be successful would be a PlayStation and I still believe that. So this thread will be right in some years, but not right now.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kali-B1rd
@Syn_Valence said:

Psnow is the largest game streaming service in the world. Google and Microsoft need to step their game up.

How short sighted.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19359 Posts

@aia89: Exactly. Some people (ie. OP), are stuck in the old mentality of past generations. Times are changing.

Avatar image for Metroid_Other_M
Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Metroid_Other_M
Member since 2009 • 438 Posts

Sony just allowed three of their exclusives on Pc, so no, Sony is just adapting to the new generation of gaming. Reaching a bigger audience is a win win for both the company and the consumer, therefore this idea of caging games into a single box is greatly in contrast with current times, whether you like it or not.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1148 Posts

Sony isn’t against the world.

Sony IS the world. Sony is the king. The rest are basically resistance fighters who picked the wrong console(Switch and Xbone), so they are joining forces because of the lack of games.

They can’t compete against Sony.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4221 Posts
@kali-b1rd said:

Sony are doubling down on their approach because they know the market is changing, and they need profits now to weather the fact that they are simply nowhere near ready to match Google/Microsoft/Amazon in the new generation streaming arms race.

Physical gaming won't disappear, just like physical games won't ... but a significant portion of the market will shift.

Those saying "buh buh PSNOW" ... yea .... it was first.... but to believe for a second that it will scale as quickly as Google/Azure/AWS is quite laughable.

The west just handles this stuff far better..... god knows how Nintendo will manage...... "Buy a £280 portable, or just hook your phone/tablet onto a controller and play any game you want?" ... especially if 5G is as good as its being touted to be.

They'll have their plethora of exclusives which you won't be able to play anywhere else (officially) except on a Nintendo device. I don't really see them as being in direct competition with the others anyway, this seems like more of a showdown between Microsoft, Sony and Google.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2827 Posts

Phil Spencer made It clear that they're not competing with Sony and Nintendo, they have no reason to; they're mostly concerned with other tech giants such as Google and Apple, even tho this latter never posed any threats to Microsoft as they have always had a different approach to their respective markets.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kali-B1rd
@mandzilla said:
@kali-b1rd said:

They'll have their plethora of exclusives which you won't be able to play anywhere else (officially) except on a Nintendo device. I don't really see them as being in direct competition with the others anyway, this seems like more of a showdown between Microsoft, Sony and Google.

Maybe for now.... I have no doubt that they will still take a significant hit as the handheld advantage will be completely gone. In theory if games are built with "cloud first" where environments can use the latest and greatest yearly GPUs then the gap will grow even larger, much quicker. Why would Japanese games opt for an expensive handheld when they can play [insert stupidly powerful Japanese franchise here] with nothing but any screen of their choosing?

All hypothetical at this point, mind you.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2088 Posts

They will adopt however they may find themselves not the leader anymore. They already deeped there feet into this stuff. Yes its not good enough but it can be. I mean just look at the quick recent shuffle of the leadership. The intent they say is to boost psn infrastructure. That signals all of the above approach. This is inevitable TC they did not buy GAIKAI just to stream ps3 games. They have quietly signal there intent its just not now for them not when they are still only second to Tencent as a game software company. Both Sony and Nintendo are in figuring out faze while still killing it with the status quo. MS couldn't wait to get things rolling xbox has been fine but its not in there position. The hardware not enough for what Halo deserves sell wise. Can sony enter the streaming biz and lead? yes they can as all it needs is to be good enough. Its not like they haven't won with just good enough before lol. As for nintendo, well Switch is them figuring out new approach by merging there handheld and console market. They are also getting there feet wet with mobile.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 1396 Posts

@kali-b1rd: it's as simple as this, exclusives sell consoles. Streaming will never take over physical gaming. It works for movies because lowering quality here and there to stop buffering doesn't break the experience for movies. Gaming is entirely different. Games need tons of data to run properly. Until the day data caps are gone and internet is as reliable as electricity, it's not going to take over.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3202 Posts

Microsoft has a soul? is it in the cloud?

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1145 Posts

No I wouldn't say that at all it's more like they're blending in with the norm and that's started to become weird from the point of view of normal.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator

@kali-b1rd: You could be right, Microsoft and Google may end up doing very well in Japan with game streaming if it delivers on all the promises. They have pretty good internet infrastructure over there I think, so we'll have to wait and see.

I just don't see that supplanting Nintendo's dominance of the handheld market anytime soon, when they're up against franchises like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario, Zelda etc which all translate better to portable gaming imo.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
SuperfluousReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SuperfluousReal
Member since 2019 • 361 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

MS sold their soul to PC and Nintendo. Nintendo does its own thing. PC is stronger than ever, picking up old console exclusives. That leaves Sony to fend for itself. Do you think it can continue to be number one, SW? Can it still stand out and win the hearts and minds of gamers next gen? Or will they bow to pressure and change their ways?

How does that even work? they make the largest used operating system for computer hardware known as Windows and have far more experience with PC than they do consoles. But that would be silly, they have divisions, still M$ is known for Windows more than it is the XBOX brand.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kali-B1rd
@Sagemode87 said:

@kali-b1rd: it's as simple as this, exclusives sell consoles. Streaming will never take over physical gaming. It works for movies because lowering quality here and there to stop buffering doesn't break the experience for movies. Gaming is entirely different. Games need tons of data to run properly. Until the day data caps are gone and internet is as reliable as electricity, it's not going to take over.

"Digital will never take over physical game sales , online only games will never surpass single player games, netflix will never surpass network tv, spotufy will never replace cds" ... same old story.

A video stream is a video stream. Yes, the amount of data will need to be higher for things like 4k 60FPS, but realistically we already have that... available now, with no issues. weather you like it or not, the technology is getting there... and now you have the biggest players in the industry investing. Console gamers are already living with lower quality every day.

"tons of data to run properly" ... you want to elaborate on that? because it sounds like your stringing something together that makes no sense, the only data being sent to the client machine is the video stream. The game being processed and the network data is all contained within the nearest local data centre (which in Google and Microsoft's cases... practically everywhere that matters). You could argue the obvious slight input delay that will occur, another aspect that has already gotten better over time.

The sheer simplicity providing you have a stable internet connection is what this will offer... cheap entry and simply ease of use with the best versions of games (theoretically at this point).

@mandzilla said:

@kali-b1rd: You could be right, Microsoft and Google may end up doing very well in Japan with game streaming if it delivers on all the promises. They have pretty good internet infrastructure over there I think, so we'll have to wait and see.

I just don't see that supplanting Nintendo's dominance of the handheld market anytime soon, when they're up against franchises like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario, Zelda etc which all translate better to portable gaming imo.

You could be right, I do argue in the long term however as physical hardware sales drop they will be required to reconsider hardware exclusivity.... but we will see.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3432 Posts

Sony are the only one who can an stand on their own at this point in terms of a home console.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mandzilla  Moderator

@kali-b1rd: Hey well sure, I could see something like that happening in the future. How far into the future though, who knows really. Nintendo have already been dipping their toes into the mobile gaming market.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2049 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: since my first PC in 1995 when I boot up it goes to an operating system....it’s called Microsoft Windows!! How could they sell their soul to PC when they have been doing this for almost 30 years now. It’s when Xbox came out and they started with Xbox exclusives that they sold their soul. Glad they are changing their ways back to old school. Now if my PC ran on a Sony or Nintendo OS I would understand you saying they sold their souls to a point but come on man. Besides Linux users Microsoft IS PC.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 24510 Posts

Not sure why the GS mobile site won't let me reply to people. By MS sold their soul to PC, I was referring to the direction of Xbox. But I don't necessarily agree that they were big on PC gaming from the start. Only now are they really embracing it.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 1625 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

MS = PC always was.

They backstabbed PC gamers with making a xbox.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

If you guys have not been paying attention to Sony's Sean Layden's recent interviews you are missing a lot. He is talking about getting ready for the future and where gamers can play, and gaming without consoles. He is trying to get the fan base ready for the future.

Sony is worried about companies like Google, Amazon, and Apple too, as it does not seem as they are ready to compete in the cloud gaming world at the same level yet. But you can bet they will find a way to get on PC as well as phones and Tablets.

Next gen is not going to be about counting consoles sold as it will be all about monthly active users. Us weirdos on this forum will still be playing on consoles with physical discs if we want, but THEY ALL are trying to get those 2 billion casuals that don't want a gaming PC or a console.

The rules of console war winners and losers have gone out the window.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 3720 Posts

People that obsess over a single platform amaze me. I guess the question is why? If it is because you can only afford one system, then I get that.

But that is the only reason for the weird need to LOVE just one system. I guess I'm just loyal to games, not boxes of plastic with Sony/MS/or Nintendo written on them.

Avatar image for Metroid_Other_M
Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Metroid_Other_M
Member since 2009 • 438 Posts
@mojito1988 said:

People that obsess over a single platform amaze me. I guess the question is why? If it is because you can only afford one system, then I get that.

But that is the only reason for the weird need to LOVE just one system. I guess I'm just loyal to games, not boxes of plastic with Sony/MS/or Nintendo written on them.

This idea of obsessing over a single platform is just ridiculous in this day and age, it may very well be that residue of console war nostalgia, but it just appears more and more illogical as time goes by.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1084 Posts

@Syn_Valence said:

They are the largest streaming service in the world when they are essentially the only player in the field.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Daniel_Su123
@SolidGame_basic said:

Not sure why the GS mobile site won't let me reply to people. By MS sold their soul to PC, I was referring to the direction of Xbox. But I don't necessarily agree that they were big on PC gaming from the start. Only now are they really embracing it.

Sorry it seems like you don't realise that. Playstation is preparing for a post console future as well. Sony is VERY worried about Stadia, XCloud and Amazon's Streaming services, their recent focus on PS Now and their leadership changes pretty much shows this.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-boss-predicts-post-console-world/1100-6464942/

Microsoft, Amazon or Google likely won't partner with Sony since they would like Sony, Nintendo and other third parties to put their games onto their proprietary Game Streaming platforms. Google with Stadia's OS and hardware architecture, Microsoft with UWP on Xbox Consoles etc.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44587 Posts

No, it's Sony against Sony. If they fail, it will be their fault; if they succeed, their doing.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3399 Posts

@warmblur said:

Microsoft has a soul? is it in the cloud?

its in cuphead on switch and MCC on steam

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Daniel_Su123

@jeezers: but the games use Xbox Live and other Xbox services. If Microsoft can get the full XCloud and Game Pass ecosystem on Switch, they will have a massive success.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3399 Posts

@daniel_su123: agreed, it would be insanely successful

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24476 Posts

Lol. Yeah, MS has sold their soul to PC. Smartest statement ever.

Caj1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Caj1986
Member since 2015 • 317 Posts

@ajstyles: lmao resistance fighters? Ms could swallow sony in 1 cheque and. Set that whole co on fire. Ms sales cm frm. Others products not jus xbox. Mayb they cant buy Nintendo but they jus playing safe because they dont want any old anti trust lawsuits cmin up jus incase they pull such a move(google ms case on windows media player)

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#41 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6154 Posts

PlayStation should stay the course. Continue to keep closed boarders. If people want to play on the PlayStation ecosystem they will need to have PlayStation hardware. So far Nintendo has only put their IPs on mobile, but they are not available via PC in any format. PlayStation has PlayStation Now for PC, but their exclusives should stay with them. Do not place PlayStation Now on Xbox hardware. PlayStation mobile apps with Trophy support would be nice.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Daniel_Su123

@Coolyfett: then in that case Sony will loose a future demographic, if Streaming becomes mainstream Sony will miss the boat

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 686 Posts

Sony will expand their featureset to keep up with their competition whether they like it or not lest they lose chunks potential profit.

Question would be when. Reacting too late would be quite detrimental.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4132 Posts

Like Space Mountain, the PlayStation Nation will continue to be the oldest ride with the longest line. WOOOOOOOOOOO

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45  Edited By PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1245 Posts

You don't set up infrastructure and technology like that as a reaction, by then it's already too late

All it will do is confirm they are an industry follower, not leader

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#46 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35692 Posts

Lets see, we have what now, four game streaming services, Stadia, Apple, PSNow and Xcloud. The market is going to change, those that don't change will be crushed. :)

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Daniel_Su123

@Pedro:Apple's system isn't a streaming service.

• Google Stadia is a pure streaming platform
  • Apple is a local subscription platform
  • Microsoft is both streaming and local platform
  • Sony is a streaming and somewhat local platform
  • Amazon is questionable.

it's pretty obvious that the system wars era is pretty much dead. The only people who are in denial are Sony fanboys.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 8734 Posts

@Litchie said:

Lol. Yeah, MS has sold their soul to PC. Smartest statement ever.

I would say they did the opposite. At least they have been for the past couple of decades with Xbox.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 664 Posts

The only format that I would rather not go all digital is gaming. I don't mind having the choice of streaming. But, I hate the idea of that being the only option going forward. I enjoy pride of ownership. I'm not insane and have an entire library of games for one system type of guy.

However, there are many games that I could not imagine not owning. There is also that pesky thing of games being taken off the digital platform of choice at some point. With a physical copy I can still play said game. I guess I am a dinosaur. But, I genuinely do not hope for an all digital future with games where I own nothing.