Is it really a good idea to make the 360 King of JRPGs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PelekotansDream
PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 PelekotansDream
Member since 2005 • 7602 Posts

Got to admire the fact that Microsoft is not quitting their push into the Japanese market, a good thing.

But since it does so bad in Japan, and Blue Dragon/Lost Odyessey while boosted sales for a few weeks havn't exactly placed the 360 as a serious contender against the Wii. Is this a smart move for Square Enix to place so much faith into the console?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
Square Enix isn't putting faith in the console. They want to be fair to all the consoles, so there isn't a clear winner.
gohan2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gohan2710
Member since 2005 • 4315 Posts

Got to admire the fact that Microsoft is not quitting their push into the Japanese market, a good thing.

But since it does so bad in Japan, and Blue Dragon/Lost Odyessey while boosted sales for a few weeks havn't exactly placed the 360 as a serious contender against the Wii. Is this a smart move for Square Enix to place so much faith into the console?

PelekotansDream
japan is the only place that buys jrpgs? okay, i did not know that
-GhostMLD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -GhostMLD-
Member since 2008 • 3282 Posts

yes it is. Maybe the consumer will see the 360 as more then shooting and driving.

Games like Fable 2, Banjo and Viva Pinata will also help.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts

Square Enix isn't putting faith in the console. They want to be fair to all the consoles, so there isn't a clear winner.Couth_

I like to think of each console as a nation. All three are at war with each other. Dev studios are arms dealers. They give these awesome weapons to each nation with the promise that it will win them the war, but at the end of the day, it is in their best interest to just fan the flames, so to speak, because that way, they will be needed more.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#6 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts
As long as the JRPGs are coming. So far, it doesn't seem like there are that many and its kind of annoying. But now I'll be able to buy Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata which I plan to do after MGS4.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

They're doing this because it's the smartest thing for them to do business wise. The 360 has the best attach rate of any next generation console at this point, including the Wii.

While the Xbox 360 isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a contender in Japan, its hardware and software sales are good enough for Japanese developers to justify their investment.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
If t the JRPGs has done anything, it's made the 360 far more appealing in the US, so I do think it's a smart move. While I doubt the new games will help the 360 to find a market in Japan, it has made the line up all the more stronger nonetheless.
HavenlyHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 HavenlyHunter
Member since 2008 • 392 Posts
Xbox 360 wont be jrpg king .
360 isnt popular in japan like wii or even ps 3 .
and the most jrpg make japanese !

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

They're doing this because it's the smartest thing for them to do business wise. The 360 has the best attach rate of any next generation console at this point, including the Wii.

While the Xbox 360 isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a contender in Japan, its hardware and software sales are good enough for Japanese developers to justify their investment.

The_Game21x
Overall, but the attach for the genre isn't nearly as high. *shrug*
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

Its working out good for me. I have a 360, so heck yeah - I love jRPGs. I am looking forward to playing Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and even Enchanted Arms.

Then there are just so many more to look forward to in the future. Namely, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, and The Last Remnant. This list is growing and looking better and better.

PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PelekotansDream
[QUOTE="PelekotansDream"]

gohan2710

Think next time please, I never said that but Japan is the biggest market for JRPGs, next time sort it out.

sdu_1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sdu_1111
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts

what about ff13? ff13 is like ...

ff13 > every other JRPG

GT5 > every other racer

MGS > every other sneaky XD

GTA > every other open world

Crysis > graphics

PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PelekotansDream

[QUOTE="Couth_"]Square Enix isn't putting faith in the console. They want to be fair to all the consoles, so there isn't a clear winner.donwoogie

I like to think of each console as a nation. All three are at war with each other. Dev studios are arms dealers. They give these awesome weapons to each nation with the promise that it will win them the war, but at the end of the day, it is in their best interest to just fan the flames, so to speak, because that way, they will be needed more.

Ohh, thats such a nifty way to put it.

PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PelekotansDream

ff13 > every other JRPG

GT5 > every other racer

Crysis > graphics

sdu_1111

But its just one game, outside of that I can't think of any good JRPGs to enjoy on the PS3, not any big hitters or high quality titles atleast.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
The games are selling well so why not. I mean the games get okay numbers in Japan, and decent numbers in the states and Europe. Its not like these games aren't selling at all. And lets face it. JRPGS are becoming niche. Its a good thing that MS is giving support to these JRPG's otherwise. Hell if they weren't as far as next gen consoles got the genre would have been forgotten. It needs all the help it can get.
megaton3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 megaton3k
Member since 2007 • 515 Posts

The 360 is fighting a losing battle in Japan.

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 YoBrandino
[QUOTE="sdu_1111"]

ff13 > every other JRPG

GT5 > every other racer

Crysis > graphics

PelekotansDream

But its just one game, outside of that I can't think of any good JRPGs to enjoy on the PS3, not any big hitters or high quality titles atleast.

Right, its just one game (well there are two games or something). But.... [stupid post not showing up... now I forget what I said].. oh, something about any other jRPGs on the PS3 are also on the 360, but the 360 has a bigger list growing quickly.

Anyways, now it looks like Star Ocean 4 is coming to the 360 too (and possibly not the PS3, but we'll have to wait and see for that).

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#19 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

PelekotansDream

White Knight Chronicles, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Disgaea 3... that's about all I can list right now but those are big games too. Versus XIII is more hyped for me than FFXIII, but that may be because the KH team is working on that. :)

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8852 Posts

PelekotansDream

Japan is third as far as the Big Three Markets (US, EU, JP). And, the 360 still has the highest attach rate and sells the most games. So, it's a win for S-E, because they can move a lot of units on the 360.

The days of development studios being loyal to a platform are quickly coming to an end.

gohan2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gohan2710
Member since 2005 • 4315 Posts
[QUOTE="gohan2710"][QUOTE="PelekotansDream"]

PelekotansDream

Think next time please, I never said that but Japan is the biggest market for JRPGs, next time sort it out.

actually think before u post, if we go by ur logic then they should make the wii the jrpg king :| look at what u posted.......square enix is putting so much faith into the console? ohh my......i guess final fantasy 13 doesnt count :|
jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts

PelekotansDream

I'll never get tired of saying this but the goal is to get the Japanese game developers to cater to the American gamer crowd. Let's face it, what is a better way to kill Sorny competition than to attack it at its source here in America? If you provide Japanese games for the American console, then Americans can ignore buying a Japanese console, just as the majority of Japanese ignore buying an American console. I think if Sorny lost the majority of its American customer base, it would damage Sorny more than Sorny losing its Japanese customer base. And where does Sorny fall in place in America? Third place in sales? I repeatedly see the PS3 titles collecting dust at Gamestop.

PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PelekotansDream
[QUOTE="PelekotansDream"][QUOTE="gohan2710"][QUOTE="PelekotansDream"]

gohan2710

actually think before u post, if we go by ur logic then they should make the wii the jrpg king :| look at what u posted.......square enix is putting so much faith into the console? ohh my......i guess final fantasy 13 doesnt count :|

The Wii is about casual fun and simple games that are easy to get into, please understand the aim of the console. You got Crystal Chronicles and look how popular that is, people don't want casual RPG games. So carry on thinking please.

jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts

Its working out good for me. I have a 360, so heck yeah - I love jRPGs. I am looking forward to playing Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and even Enchanted Arms.

Then there are just so many more to look forward to in the future. Namely, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, and The Last Remnant. This list is growing and looking better and better.

YoBrandino

Let's not forget that new Space Ocean..or whatever it's called. Dang 360 has so many games I'm starting to forget the titles that are coming out.

fishfake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fishfake
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

how much 360 owners really want jrpg's ?

i really think its the wrong platform and all 360 owners only like it course the other 2 consoles dont get these games !

KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts

i really think its the wrong platform and all 360 owners only like it course the other 2 consoles dont get these games !

fishfake

Stereotype.

fishfake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fishfake
[QUOTE="fishfake"]

KingTuttle

Stereotype.

look at the sales number for blue dragon as example ! the interest is really not that high !

gensigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gensigns
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

look at the sales number for blue dragon as example ! the interest is really not that high !

fishfake

Look at the jrpg sales numbers on the PS3 - guess they don't have any interest in them either!

TheRealMC01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheRealMC01
Member since 2007 • 995 Posts

it's more like, Is it really a good idea to buy a ps3 if you like JRPGS? :|

you can't blame MS for doing something right.

fishfake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fishfake

TheRealMC01

for ms its good they can only win but if something is not selling good enough they don't make sequels or release it in Europe course its too expensive (its not the first time that's happened ! )

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 YoBrandino

TheRealMC01

Right. My main game interest is jRPGs. I thought I would be wanting the PS3 the most this gen. I was already deffinetely getting a Wii - which I got at launch. And then I was waiting it out a bit for the either a 360 or PS3. I ended up getting a 360 thinking I would get a PS3 later when the games started looking more promising. But I have to say, I am quite happy with the 360, and have proctically lost all interest in the PS3. I don't care about the console or market or what not, I just want the games I want, and the 360 seems to be getting them. And guess what, I'm not into shooters or WWII games. I like fantasy and jRPGs.

returnOfSaolin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 returnOfSaolin
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts

ff13 > every other JRPG

GT5 > every other racer

Crysis > graphics

sdu_1111

That's retarded, FF13 isn't even out yet *rolls eyes* neither is GT5, and GT is more of a "loose sim" so many people will claim (including myself) that Forza is the better racer. others will say GRiD (IT ROXXX!) and others will say PGR, and yes others will agree, but saying 4 games (3 of which aren't even out yet and one that's multi, and one that just makes no sense to put down because the graphics have been beaten into the ground) are the best just like they are fact makes no sense. And you have NO IDEA how excited I am for FFXIII VS but... cmon...

returnOfSaolin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 returnOfSaolin
[QUOTE="KingTuttle"][QUOTE="fishfake"]

fishfake

Stereotype.

I think that Blue dragon looks too much like Dragon Ball Z and therefore. I don't want it. I DO however want IU and Star Ocean 4. (btw has anyone noticed that anything with the word Dragon in the title has an art style like DBZ??? like Dragon quest!)

returnOfSaolin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 returnOfSaolin
Oh and BTW: Fable 2 is gonna be awesome, with Graphics that will decimate anything Crysis has to offer, as well as CO-OP, you can get almost 9000+ hours of gameplay out of it, and everyone who claims you can beat in in 12 hours I beat LO in 43 minutes. Fable will be massive, and the characters won't look like women
vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 vicmackey39
Member since 2008 • 2416 Posts

DS is the king of JRPGs, PC is the king of WRPGs 360 is the Duke of JRPGs and WRPGs

fishfake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fishfake
[QUOTE="fishfake"][QUOTE="KingTuttle"][QUOTE="fishfake"]

returnOfSaolin

Stereotype.

I think that Blue dragon looks too much like Dragon Ball Z and therefore. I don't want it. I DO however want IU and Star Ocean 4. (btw has anyone noticed that anything with the word Dragon in the title has an art style like DBZ??? like Dragon quest!)

dragon blade,dungeons and dragons,ninja gaiden dragon sword

no i dont think so :D

the most jrpg's have those comic, cute ,manga look and 360 owners are mature :P

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts
Lost Odyssey sold a million in North America, face it, North Americans want jrpgs, and have since FF I.
V_Zarnold_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 V_Zarnold_N
Member since 2006 • 1272 Posts

ff13 > another rehash of every other ff using the same plot devices, weapons, enimies and fighting system

GT5 > just like every other racer just with better graphics

MGS > ... wasnt aware there was another stealth/action game, yeah splinter cell for this gen isnt out

GTA > doesnt pwn every other open world otherwise it would have more players than WoW (yes i know, but MMO are open worlds too)

Crysis > graphics.... no arguement here best looking game to date.

sdu_1111
here let me help you out and fix your list
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

It doesn't seem any harm is being done to anyone (save for Sony, of course). The JRPG games on the 360 aren't exactly making deficits, and they appear to actually be selling pretty well.

Also, the 360 is the perfect way for JRPG devs to reach the eager and considerable market of JRPG in America. Sales of their games in this country clearly indicate that we be wantin' JRPGs.

V_Zarnold_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 V_Zarnold_N
Member since 2006 • 1272 Posts
[QUOTE="returnOfSaolin"][QUOTE="fishfake"][QUOTE="KingTuttle"][QUOTE="fishfake"]

fishfake

Stereotype.

dragon blade,dungeons and dragons,ninja gaiden dragon sword

no i dont think so :D

the most jrpg's have those comic, cute ,manga look and 360 owners are mature :P

or maybe those games (dragon quest and blue dragon) are done be the same artist who did dragonball and DBZ. I would also say that the particular art style in question is from arguably the most well known manga and anime. Sailor Moon and Gundam being up there as well.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Blackbond

I think that Blue dragon looks too much like Dragon Ball Z and therefore. I don't want it. I DO however want IU and Star Ocean 4. (btw has anyone noticed that anything with the word Dragon in the title has an art sty1e like DBZ??? like Dragon quest!)

returnOfSaolin

Where have you been man? Akira Toriyami creator of Dragon Ball makes the designs for Dragon Quest games.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
[QUOTE="returnOfSaolin"]

I think that Blue dragon looks too much like Dragon Ball Z and therefore. I don't want it. I DO however want IU and Star Ocean 4. (btw has anyone noticed that anything with the word Dragon in the title has an art sty1e like DBZ??? like Dragon quest!)

Blackbond

Where have you been man? Akira Toriyami creator of Dragon Ball makes the designs for Dragon Quest games.

Man needs to retire, if you ask me. Can't stand his art ****

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="returnOfSaolin"]

Verge_6

Man needs to retire, if you ask me. Can't stand his art ****

Could you say the same thing about the guy that designs FF's characters? I mean the man is getting paid and its not like he's making anymore long going Manga's anymore. He gets a DQ project every now and then and that's it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#44 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts

you have to wonder how much MS paid square to make games for it.

besides the rpg market is probably a lot bigger in the US. japan is like the size of a state.

if i remember correctly square enix said that unlike the ps2 they want to make exclusives for all systems this gen, so they can play off the strengths of each system. not a bad idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#45 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
As long as the JRPGs are coming. So far, it doesn't seem like there are that many and its kind of annoying. But now I'll be able to buy Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata which I plan to do after MGS4. Zassimick
they're all awesome you're going to have so much fun
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts
yes it is a good idea =) we are loving the jrpg 360 games ^^