Is it out growing games or games just aren't as good ?

• 107 results
Papermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Is it out growing games or games just aren't as good ? (118 votes)

Getting older 49%
Games arent as good 51%

i dont know if it because im getting older or not but its like the new games aren't as good or it doesn't stick to me or now all the games people do like are army or sports games and maybe a few others games

what do you think ?

• 
iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Gettin older mate, its mind games. Rekindle that fire.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

8th gen is shit. you could be 16y old with a brain and see how crappy most games are since ~2012. Everyone used to copy gears and cod. now they copy each other on delaying everything announced.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Youre getting old, there are plenty of amazing games coming out.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

@aigis said:

Youre getting old, there are plenty of amazing games coming out.

Coming out huh? Elaborate... As a gamer from the NES, I am tired from these terribad games and the online stat-padders.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aigis

@sleepnsurf: there are quite a few that I am personally looking forward too at least. Persona 5 being at the top, but there are others ff xv, re 7, tekken 7, injustice 2, and horizon are some that are coming out soonish, Everyone is just kinda pesamistic, there are good games if you look for them, there are probably even a few that you missed

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

8th gen has been nothing but open world/FPS games.

Extremely safe games that devs know will sell.

Variety has sucked this gen, inb4 teh indies!

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I think it's both. I'm not growing out of games because I'm still playing them! They just happen to be pre-8th gen games.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Games don't have the same polish or love put into them anymore. The middle man is all but entirely gone, and the industry is all about money. Not that making money wasn't a goal before, but the industry has set nearly unreachable profit margins as being "successful". Releasing half finished games and only fixing them if they turn enough profit is the norm these days, and that's sickening to me. It's easier for a new generation of gamers or those just coming into their "gaming primes" to look at the games of today as the best of all time. The problem is... they didn't play the games that many of us compare them to, and even if they have, it was years after the games releases and not when they first hit the market. The graphics may not be as good, but that has nothing to do with quality, story, playability, or the fun factor. All too many times in the recent history of games has it felt as though devs put so much effort into making their games shine that they are nearly devoid of any fun, and often time the frame rates suffer the most... which goes hand in hand with playability. This isn't always the case, but it is much more common now then games in years from the past.

I may be set in my ways, but I know a good game when I play one. I vote to stop dumbing things down and add layers of difficulty and things you actually have to practice and maybe even use trial and error to understand or get accustomed to. The old saying "more is less" doesn't apply to video games... at least not with me. Unless of course it's SUPPOSED to be a simple game with few controls or thought processes.

There are some good games out there, but I miss the challenges games used to provide. Very few games out there scratch that itch these days... even on the hardest difficulty level in which I play almost every campaign.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Brah4ever

@WitIsWisdom said:

Games don't have the same polish or love put into them anymore. The middle man is all but entirely gone, and the industry is all about money. Not that making money wasn't a goal before, but the industry has set nearly unreachable profit margins as being "successful". Releasing half finished games and only fixing them if they turn enough profit is the norm these days, and that's sickening to me. It's easier for a new generation of gamers or those just coming into their "gaming primes" to look at the games of today as the best of all time. The problem is... they didn't play the games that many of us compare them to, and even if they have, it was years after the games releases and not when they first hit the market. The graphics may not be as good, but that has nothing to do with quality, story, playability, or the fun factor. All too many times in the recent history if games has it felt as though devs put so much effort into making their games shine that they are nearly devoid of any fun, and often time the frame rates suffer the most... which goes hand in hand with playability. This isn't always the case, but it is much more common now then games in years from the past.

This.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Yeah, it's both. Least for me it is.

I still find fun gems here and there, but the older I've gotten the less willing I am to take chances on new things. I stick to what I know and love and enjoy myself. Time not spent gaming is spent reading, writing, or watching TV/film.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

We're just getting older, I'm a collector and I absolutely love video games, however it's hard to play them and actually get into them anymore. I will never stop playing games, but the excitement I had for them when I was younger has been mostly extinguished.

They were a product of my childhood and that is why I hold on to them, but they hardly fit into my adult life even though I desperately want them to.

Eventually, we outgrow everything we do...

P.S. Games 6th generation and under were fantastic, gen 7 is when it all started falling apart and everything became corporatized. This generation is even worse than the last and corporate rule is in full effect, there are no second tier developers anymore like Midway, Acclaim, Raven, Crave, Iguana Entertainment etc, it's either indie or AAA now, there's no in between and the in between is where the best and most memorable games were developed.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus

@WitIsWisdom: Damn, well written.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brah4ever

@dynamitecop said:

We're just getting older, I'm a collector and I absolutely love video games, however it's hard to play them and actually get into them anymore. I will never stop playing games, but the excitement I had for them when I was younger has been mostly extinguished.

They were a product of my childhood and that is why I hold on to them, but they hardly fit into my adult life even though I desperately want them to.

It's easy to say that but when you actually look at the offerings of today from the AAA market, its a joke and much less risk taking than the past.

There is a reason why most games coming out are sports titles, open word, and FPS games....$

Variety and general retail game output has gone down from the PS2 era or even the 360 era, this whole gen for the first couple of years was 75% remasters.

I still game but the Halo Gears Forza spam from MS and the slow ass output from Sony leaves not much to be desired unless you want to play generic FPS #1002. Last gen was FPS heavy and we are getting exactly more of the same.

Japan is still irrelevant, Capcom is yet to release a game this gen, Konami and Square release like 5 games a decade tops. Just general games output has sharply declined across the board unless we include low budget indies.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@brah4ever: Read my edit.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WitIsWisdom

@SOedipus said:

@WitIsWisdom: Damn, well written.

I really appreciate the compliments. These forums have had some very well thought out threads and people posting in them as of late and it really impresses me. I don't know what gamespot put in the water, but I hope it continues. lol.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brah4ever

@dynamitecop said:

@brah4ever: Read my edit.

Gen 8 is a continuation of the transition in gaming that occurred in Gen 7.

Gaming went mainstream, never before has every console in a gen sold 80 million +

The more gamey or abstract games died as a result of higher dev cost and lack of sales since the consumer just wants 2K, GTA, CoD. It's why Japan which was a leader back in the day is a former shell of itself and why many other devs went bankrupt in the states.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mmmwksil
@brah4ever said:

Japan is still irrelevant, Capcom is yet to release a game this gen,

I think this is grossly close-minded of you considering the rest of your post.

Also, Capcom released two massive titles in the last few years alone: Monster Hunter games the both of them. They might not have been on consoles, but boy howdy did they rake in massive profits in their home country (not sure on sales numbers in the West, however).

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Brah4ever

@mmmwksil said:
@brah4ever said:

Japan is still irrelevant, Capcom is yet to release a game this gen,

I think this is grossly close-minded of you considering the rest of your post.

Also, Capcom released two massive titles in the last few years alone: Monster Hunter games the both of them. They might not have been on consoles, but boy howdy did they rake in massive profits in their home country (not sure on sales numbers in the West, however).

Capcom is a joke compared to what they used to release gen 5-6.

They were popping out games left/right but today? They haven't released 1 NEW game this gen and we are about to be 5 years in.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

I'll be a cynic and say its Gen 8. Atleast for me.

I noticed I stopped using consoles and went completely to PC during the lame-duck period for Gen 7 going into Gen 8. Besides exclusives I can't see any logical reason to get an Xbox or PS rn.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I've mostly given up on the Xbox and Playstation as they have been sucking a lot in the games department for a while.

PC is where most passion projects reside nowadays, so I've simply moved mainly to PC in order to find awesome and unique experiences, and it doesn't let me down. In fact, I'd say it's only made me more passionate for games.

You may just need to branch out. If gaming sucks then find new games. There are thousands of them, and they come in all shapes and sizes just as all forms of media do.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mmmwksil

@brah4ever:

The amount of games doesn't really concern or surprise me. Development costs and time has escalated considerably since Gen 5 and Gen 6. And like I said earlier: they released at least two Monster Hunter games in the last few years. So the claim that they haven't released anything new is simply not true.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WitIsWisdom

@dynamitecop said:

P.S. Games 6th generation and under were fantastic, gen 7 is when it all started falling apart and everything became corporatized. This generation is even worse than the last and corporate rule is in full effect, there are no second tier developers anymore like Midway, Acclaim, Raven, Crave, Iguana Entertainment etc, it's either indie or AAA now, there's no in between and the in between is where the best and most memorable games were developed.

Everything starting with P.S. is spot on man, and I completely agree.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Brah4ever

@mmmwksil said:

@brah4ever:

The amount of games doesn't really concern or surprise me. Development costs and time has escalated considerably since Gen 5 and Gen 6. And like I said earlier: they released at least two Monster Hunter games in the last few years. So the claim that they haven't released anything new is simply not true.

They released 2 games from the same exact series and zero games for current gen consoles.....awesome!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Yup we're just getting older.

I'm 39 and it's the reason I decided to just stick with the Xbox One...or just one console for this gen (might pick up a PS4 original at some point when it drops to $199). There are a few gems here and there and enjoying the Xb1 very much. But overall, the fire and excitement I once had growing up is no longer there anymore. Eventually, I move on, and there are times I'll pick up the controller again if I see an interesting game I'm willing to play. But it's hard to get to actually play them from beginning to end.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mmmwksil

@brah4ever:

If MH is their biggest seller now, why wouldn't they focus on that series?

If there are more 3DS devices in consumer hands, why wouldn't they release them on those devices?

Be salty they didn't release anything on consoles. Fine. But ignoring two multi-million unit sellers doesn't help your claim.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Brah4ever

@mmmwksil said:

@brah4ever:

If MH is their biggest seller now, why wouldn't they focus on that series?

If there are more 3DS devices in consumer hands, why wouldn't they release them on those devices?

Be salty they didn't release anything on consoles. Fine. But ignoring two multi-million unit sellers doesn't help your claim.

Not salty at all, its just sad to see a company like Capcom struggle so much.

MH is pretty much the only thing keeping them afloat.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mmmwksil

@brah4ever:

I get the feeling that's going to be the case for more and more developers as time goes on.

It's a sad realization, but inevitable given the high costs of development. Especially for the newest hardware.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

It's mostly an age thing. We have more good/great games coming out these days compared to 15+ years ago. We also have a lot of shit too, but that's always been the case. As you get older it becomes harder to enjoy games, espeically when you feel like you have lots of important shit you should be doing instead of playing (yet you keep playing anyway, with a slight sense of guilt).

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: I really hope some devs read your post... Only a few devs out there still are passionate with gaming, judging by their product, I dont mind graphics to compensate for great gameplay and story..

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I've been gaming pretty long myself, dating back to the arcades of the late 70's. I have no problems with the current gaming scene. I do the vast majority of my gaming on the PC where generations don't really exist. An old game can feel as refreshing as a new game.

There's so many games I missed during the last decade and a half because I was so focused on a few games. For example, I haven't played Metro 2033 yet. After having finished Metro Last Light recently, I'm contemplating buying the former even though it came out in 2010. Older games I'm just getting into is System Shock 2 which released back in 1999.

Papermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Papermario
Member since 2016 • 245 Posts

@aigis said:

@sleepnsurf: there are quite a few that I am personally looking forward too at least. Persona 5 being at the top, but there are others ff xv, re 7, tekken 7, injustice 2, and horizon are some that are coming out soonish, Everyone is just kinda pesamistic, there are good games if you look for them, there are probably even a few that you missed

those are rehashed games...tho

@WitIsWisdom said:

Games don't have the same polish or love put into them anymore. The middle man is all but entirely gone, and the industry is all about money. Not that making money wasn't a goal before, but the industry has set nearly unreachable profit margins as being "successful". Releasing half finished games and only fixing them if they turn enough profit is the norm these days, and that's sickening to me. It's easier for a new generation of gamers or those just coming into their "gaming primes" to look at the games of today as the best of all time. The problem is... they didn't play the games that many of us compare them to, and even if they have, it was years after the games releases and not when they first hit the market. The graphics may not be as good, but that has nothing to do with quality, story, playability, or the fun factor. All too many times in the recent history of games has it felt as though devs put so much effort into making their games shine that they are nearly devoid of any fun, and often time the frame rates suffer the most... which goes hand in hand with playability. This isn't always the case, but it is much more common now then games in years from the past.

I may be set in my ways, but I know a good game when I play one. I vote to stop dumbing things down and add layers of difficulty and things you actually have to practice and maybe even use trial and error to understand or get accustomed to. The old saying "more is less" doesn't apply to video games... at least not with me. Unless of course it's SUPPOSED to be a simple game with few controls or thought processes.

There are some good games out there, but I miss the challenges games used to provide. Very few games out there scratch that itch these days... even on the hardest difficulty level in which I play almost every campaign.

i love this message right here i just wanted to ask this question because i just feel like the games aren't good anymore them seem so short or just seem like u have nothing else to do after u beat the whole game or its no sense of accomplishment i think the only thing that saving these games are really online play lets minus the sport games and the army games its like i be looking for them games that can make me want to play it more

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#32 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I think people are non active cry babies. I have been coming here over 12 years, posting more than 10. I can't count how many times I read from someone how gaming sucks, it's dying, going the way of the do do.

Many are still here though. Why? When I am not enjoying something I do an amazing thing........i stop taking part in it. Or, I become pro active and get involved in changing it.

If gaming isn't fun or "good" anymore, move on. Nobody will miss you. Who cares if it's age or your assessment of what is "good" or not? Stop doing what you don't enjoy. You'll feel better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#33 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I thought I did not care for games maybe 4 years ago. In reality, my personality had changed enough to where I enjoy games more now, but in a different fashion. Where before I would play maybe 203 games at a time, and play one until early in the morning, now I have like 20 games at a time, and I play each a little here and there. That made it more enjoyable for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58928 Posts

You aren't crazy my friend, new games suck ass.

-Day 1 patch

- Missing graphic options that need tweaking

- Forced sign in's

- Forced, unskippable titles taking up 30 seconds of nothing

- Overlong tutorials

- Annoying and shitty attempts at being a Hollywood movie over gameplay

- Cliuttered UI

- Simplified level design

- Enemies glowing like lightbulbs

- Xray vision

- Constant checkpoints removing the point of playing

- Microsoft and Sony paying to delay games

- Microtransactions

- Scared to offend to the PC brigade

- Indie devs

- Youtube games

- Walking simulators

- Forced multiplayer

- Obligatory leveling up system

- Mobile games

- Always Online games that don't need to be online

- Console built FPS

- Paying for mods

- Trading system

- Spamming the same game over and over

- EA owns the rights to make Star Wars games

- EA killed CnC

- EA killed Crytek

- EA killed SimCity

- Ubisoft killed Rainbow Six

- Ubisoft Killed Ghost Recon

- Tactical shooters are all but dead

- Fallout is now a FPS

- Terrible survival games

- Greenlight games

- Early Access games

- Kickstarter scams

- Preoder items

- Paid for early access to multiplayer

- Increased game prices

- Increased console prices

- Upgrade your console

- Low FOV

- Forced 30fps

- In game ads

- Seasons passes

- Canned kill animations

- Follow the marker

- QTE

- day 1 dlc, for dlc

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Well, this gen is pretty shit. And I don't believe I think that because I suddenly became older. I'm leaning more towards because this gen is pretty shit.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

Getting old, I think. Sure there are problems in this gen but we do get gems dropped here or there -- pretty much like every gen. However, I do agree that most games these days just don't provide any real challenge. Or maybe we're getting good... idk.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Games are awesome this gen. You are just old and jaded.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

Ask kids, they'll say that those old games we used to play suck. You're just getting old and your interest may have switched to other stuff

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Well as far as I can say, AAA titles seem to get shallower and shallower. So when it comes to gameplay, the big games seem to get worse. However, if you look around at smaller titles, you can find games with very polished gameplay. A game like Freedom Planet can easily be on par with the Genesis Sonics

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

You aren't crazy my friend, new games suck ass.

-Day 1 patch

- Missing graphic options that need tweaking

- Forced sign in's

- Forced, unskippable titles taking up 30 seconds of nothing

- Overlong tutorials

- Annoying and shitty attempts at being a Hollywood movie over gameplay

- Cliuttered UI

- Simplified level design

- Enemies glowing like lightbulbs

- Xray vision

- Constant checkpoints removing the point of playing

- Microsoft and Sony paying to delay games

- Microtransactions

- Scared to offend to the PC brigade

- Indie devs

- Youtube games

- Walking simulators

- Forced multiplayer

- Obligatory leveling up system

- Mobile games

- Always Online games that don't need to be online

- Console built FPS

- Paying for mods

- Trading system

- Spamming the same game over and over

- EA owns the rights to make Star Wars games

- EA killed CnC

- EA killed Crytek

- EA killed SimCity

- Ubisoft killed Rainbow Six

- Ubisoft Killed Ghost Recon

- Tactical shooters are all but dead

- Fallout is now a FPS

- Terrible survival games

- Greenlight games

- Early Access games

- Kickstarter scams

- Preoder items

- Paid for early access to multiplayer

- Increased game prices

- Increased console prices

- Upgrade your console

- Low FOV

- Forced 30fps

- In game ads

- Seasons passes

- Canned kill animations

- Follow the marker

- QTE

- day 1 dlc, for dlc

Pretty much this/

100% agreed. well said my friend

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

@Litchie said:

Well, this gen is pretty shit. And I don't believe I think that because I suddenly became older. I'm leaning more towards because this gen is pretty shit.

Last generation was worse. this generation is major improvement because last gen killed many genre and franchise that are revieved this gen.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

It's not about being old, it's about being whiny. The ability to enjoy games has nothing to do with age. Like usual there are more games I want to play than I could possibly have time to play. But it seems that nowadays people spend more time complaining on the internet than actually enjoying things.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SOedipus

@nethernova said:

It's not about being old, it's about being whiny. The ability to enjoy games has nothing to do with age. Like usual there are more games I want to play than I could possibly have time to play. But it seems that nowadays people spend more time complaining on the internet than actually enjoying things.

Welcome to the internet. I remember when I first discovered it. Porn, cheats/walkthroughs, people bitching about movies and.....you guessed it! Video games!. Ahh... the good ol' 90s.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 aigis

@papermario said:
@aigis said:

those are rehashed games...tho

• Persona 5 is the first main series persona game in 8 years
  • ff xv is pretty different from other ff games in pretty obvious ways
  • RE 7 is also looking to change the formula
  • Tekken 7 maybe, but I am still looking forward to it
  • injustice 2 is only the second game
  • Horizon is a new ip

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

What people tend to do it romanticise about the 'good ol day's' and only remember the good from older gens.

They forget the mountain of crap that existed in the 8 and 16 bit era. The fact that every other game was a 2D platformer or side scroller or fighting game. And compare that to the negative stuff these days.

I'd personally argue that there is more variety these days than ever before. And that is coming from a 40 year old that has played games since 1986.

If I didn't enjoy games anymore I would just stop playing. But I love them just as much now as I did 30 years ago.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#46 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@boycie: This^^^^^^ 100%

There have always been bad games in any generation.

What you need to do is expand your base for gaming, just don't stick to one gen or platform.

I've gone back and started collecting retro consoles, NES/SNES/Genesis/Dreamcast/ps1-4/N64/Gamecube/X360/DS and I've been playing games I've missed out on through the generations. Each console has hundreds of amazing games, and I'll never play them all.

Right now I'm playing Castlevania Symphony of the Night on Ps1 and I'm having a blast! I can't believe I missed out on this game when it came out.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#47  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Games are better and broader now than ever before. There's no doubt about that. Anyone that says otherwise just chooses to be ignorant. (ie Brah4ever's defensive lolindies veil of stupidity)

It could be age: you're more cynical or you've just played alot that certain mechanics are just par for the course and becomes a blur. I admit that I feel this too, but the breadth and pace of the industry has more than made up for that.

Or for many gamers, they have yet to adapt to the changing nature of the medium with varying markets being more focused or newly developed and with a more grassroots style of growth similar to independent content from other mediums. But alot of gamers people are still stuck in the old fashioned E3, retail hype train of the old, which is sad considering how much time gamers seem to spend complaining about games on the internet when they could be looking instead.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48  Edited By csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

@mmmwksil said:

@brah4ever:

I get the feeling that's going to be the case for more and more developers as time goes on.

It's a sad realization, but inevitable given the high costs of development. Especially for the newest hardware.

It has nothing to do with the high cost of development. It's that Japanese developers are out of touch with what the West wants. Their games seem low budget when compared to a Western game.

Is high development cost stifling innovation/creativity? Absolutely, but developers are too focused on graphics and playing it safe. Too many game franchisees are on their 5th+ entry and they're getting stale.

Then you have all the "fun" content like extra costumes gated behind DLC. We used to get skins included in the game for free, you know. Or you bought an expansion pack with was a great value.

Companies like EA and Activision have paid people to determine EXACTLY how much content you should get for your $60. That means the going above and beyond neat things devs used to but in games are long gone.

They sucked all the fun out :(. Gaming is about milking franchises now for the major publishers and paid DLC.

Do you realize how many companies are trying Hearthstone/Overwatch-like systems of paid random loot boxes? It's insane!

Gaming could crash on console some day. I too hardly play on console anymore. If it wasn't for Square-Enix games and Madden I would have traded in my Ps4/Wii U by now. Already got rid of my Xbone.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22665 Posts

It's both... You can't expect people to be enamored with the same concepts over and over and f***ing over without their becoming a huge malaise in their enjoyment. Games are stagnating over the fear of embracing change... And possibly feeding the investors pockets, because we are not the target audience anymore and there are people who will happily buy every yearly rehash without giving it a second thought.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow's not as bad as it seems. I'm keepin the faith, yeah keepin the faith. :P

Anyway, getting older does play a role, no doubt about it.