Is it me or the words supposed and meant to be played are

This topic is locked from further discussion.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

designed for lazy 10 years olds? I mean I hate Dune 2 clones should I swallow BFME just because its LoTR? What if I adore the Total War gameplay philosophy? With mods I can have exactly that a LoTR TW:

And last time Ive checked Im an adult and I dont need ANYONE to point me which way should I play my games.

punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 punkrocker163
Member since 2006 • 2087 Posts
...what?
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 True_Gamer_
...what?punkrocker163
WIth the MW2 killing the modding scene I just want to say that no game is "supposed" or "meant to be played" by anyone.....Any adult chooses to play and enjoy games the way HE wants and not the way someone else wants it. None can tell me which way I should enjoy my games.
Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts
[QUOTE="punkrocker163"]...what?True_Gamer_
WIth the MW2 killing the modding scene I just want to say that no game is "supposed" or "meant to be played" by anyone.....Any adult chooses to play and enjoy games the way HE wants and not the way someone else wants it. None can tell me which way I should enjoy my games.

....what?
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="punkrocker163"]...what?Sollet

....what?

Console gamers try to shove the "meant to be played" philosophy down to PC gamers' throats....Thats what I mean. You can continue to pretend that you dont understand.
Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts
Dude I've been playing mods since Team Fortress for Quake and random mods for Doom 1 & 2. Yeah they are awesome and really something that makes PC gaming stand out compared to console gaming. A fine example of a modder group going big time is gearbox and splashdamage.
lucarocks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lucarocks1
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts
...what?punkrocker163
My thoughts exactly...
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
You might want to link to the original thread for context. Anyway, I actually prefer the "as the developer intended" experience. It doesn't make me lazy, and it certainly doesn't make me 10 years old again (though it'd be nice). Neither viewpoint is less valid than the other.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="lowe0"]You might want to link to the original thread for context. Anyway, I actually prefer the "as the developer intended" experience. It doesn't make me lazy, and it certainly doesn't make me 10 years old again (though it'd be nice). Neither viewpoint is less valid than the other.

I guess then Counter Strike was a mistake.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="lowe0"]You might want to link to the original thread for context. Anyway, I actually prefer the "as the developer intended" experience. It doesn't make me lazy, and it certainly doesn't make me 10 years old again (though it'd be nice). Neither viewpoint is less valid than the other.

I guess then Counter Strike was a mistake.

I can't say I enjoyed Counter-Strike specifically, but as I pointed out, both viewpoints are equally valid. While I've seen a mod or two that I thought was interesting (Action Quake back in the day, or MechWarrior Living Legends), for the most part, I want to see exactly what the developer intended. For an analogy, take music fans. Some of them carry around a library of music in their pocket, compressed for portability and shuffled back a track at a time wherever they happen to be. Others have amplifiers worth more than my car, and sit down to be immersed in an entire album. Which one's doing it wrong? If they're both happy, then neither.
Avatar image for jakethesnake159
jakethesnake159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 jakethesnake159
Member since 2009 • 6284 Posts

[QUOTE="punkrocker163"]...what?lucarocks1
My thoughts exactly...

yup, i am still not getting it.