Is it just me or is the Wii really expensive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts

My brother has recently been trying to get the Wii motion plus for his controller and while I was looking with him I noticed that the prices for the accessories on the Wii were really high.

A plain Wii remote costs £27.99, the nunchuck costs £12.99 and motion plus costs £19.99, this is all in GAME. Thats around £60 per person if you want to do multiplayer. A Wii costs £164.99 and that comes with all the above listed but if you are to play with up to 4 people like in all the advertisements you find yourself paying around £182 just for 3 items, a remote,nunchuck and motion plus.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9165 Posts

thats true, with the add-ons and stuff... it can get pretty expensive

silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 silverfire675
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

Tht would be sweet if they had a 299$ version with 4 complete controllers and nunchucks.

Mebe 329$ might be a better price...thats for the system too btw.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Nintendo should have made the Wii remote function like it does now with WM+, but of course, this way they get more money.
Avatar image for marchofthenoobs
marchofthenoobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 marchofthenoobs
Member since 2010 • 62 Posts

everything you just said is true, but the thing is, the Wii motion plus isn't necessary, and only works with a few games so far. so, if you add the cost of the two parts of the controller together, you total US $50 (idk what that translates to in pounds, sorry) which is the price of the controllers for the other two systems too. so, If you want 4-way local multiplayer enabled, it's gonna cost $150 on any system, and coupled with the lower price of the system, still $100 less than the competition, and the cheaper games, $10 less than the other two systems, the Wii is actually still the cheapest option.

unless you buy the Wii zapper, Wii wheel, etc. the stupid plastic attachments really add to the price.

Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts

everything you just said is true, but the thing is, the Wii motion plus isn't necessary, and only works with a few games so far. so, if you add the cost of the two parts of the controller together, you total US $50 (idk what that translates to in pounds, sorry) which is the price of the controllers for the other two systems too. so, If you want 4-way local multiplayer enabled, it's gonna cost $150 on any system, and coupled with the lower price of the system, still $100 less than the competition, and the cheaper games, $10 less than the other two systems, the Wii is actually still the cheapest option.

unless you buy the Wii zapper, Wii wheel, etc. the stupid plastic attachments really add to the price.

marchofthenoobs

I think the Wii motion plus is needed. My brother got the Super Mario Bros game ( the new one) and it said unless he bought motion plus he would only be able to play something like 2 or 3 of the worlds. And over here in the UK the Wii is more expensive than the Xbox 360 Arcade model. Also the combined cost of just the remote and nunchuck is £41 (thereabouts) while you can get a wireless 360 controller for £29.99 and a PS3 wireless controller for £34.99 so its cheaper over here.

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
[QUOTE="guitarsrock4eva"]

[QUOTE="marchofthenoobs"]

I think the Wii motion plus is needed. My brother got the Super Mario Bros game ( the new one) and it said unless he bought motion plus he would only be able to play something like 2 or 3 of the worlds. And over here in the UK the Wii is more expensive than the Xbox 360 Arcade model. Also the combined cost of just the remote and nunchuck is £41 (thereabouts) while you can get a wireless 360 controller for £29.99 and a PS3 wireless controller for £34.99 so its cheaper over here.

Thats not true at all. In fact I don't even know that NSMBWii even supports Motion Plus. I'm playing it with the regular Wiimote and I'm up to world 5
Juken7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juken7
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Yea, it's something I often forget - the Wii gets to be pretty darned expensive when you begin purchasing peripherals.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Yeah I just buy the bundles though I never just buy the plain controller ect. I got tiger woods and wii sports resort to get 2 wiimotion pluses and wii play to get an extra controller some time ago. But yeah its ridiculously expensive. It sucks when a kid is forced to choose between a controller or a game... A controller should be cheap enough where its not over 100$ to get both I mean come on!

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

guitarsrock4eva

woh woh what?? Thats not true. You hold the wii remote sideways when you play that game so you would even be able to hold the controller with wii motion plus attached.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

There are many accessories, but the only ones you need as of now, come with the Wii.

I've picked up a spare Wii remote and nunchuck at launch, and it's been fine.

Also, I have only 1 Wii Motion Plus. You don't need one for each controller you have.

The 360 is a lot more expensive.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

marchofthenoobs

The Wii Wheel comes with Mario Kart, so it's free, and you do not need the Zapper at all.

marchofthenoobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 marchofthenoobs

guitarsrock4eva

first of all...say what? wii motion plus for a game that should be able to be played with the classic controller (what was up with that btw, nintendo...u trying to let us all down?) and second of all, where do you shop that you can get PS3 and X360 controllers for less than US $50? i mean, reputable retailers, not ebay. and I'm not being sarcastic, I would like to save some cash for games when I get my PS3.

EDIT: about the arcade model thing... over here, their the same price, but If you're really getting an XBOX 360, with the best online system available on a console, who would be willing to sacrifice that? i mean, online multiplayer practically makes the X360. Plus, no hard drive and no ability to install your own, so long load times and no multimedia abilities. ill pay the extra $100 for an Elite, tyvm. and the middle option is still good, only $50 more. inbetween the two prices.

marchofthenoobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 marchofthenoobs

awssk8er716

The Wii Wheel comes with Mario Kart, so it's free, and you do not need the Zapper at all.

true, but If you want to play local multiplayer, which is basically the point of this thread, you need more wii wheels if you want everyone to have the same experience. and the wii zapper really does help with aiming in FPS's on the Wii. it shouldn't, but it does.

EDIT: Plus, it's not free, the game costs $10 more. you get the wheel half off in the combo.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

guitarsrock4eva

Well, you got scammed. New Super Mario Brow Wii has no Motion Plus support of any kind at all. You don't need it. The only games you "need" it for come bundled with the games lie wii sports resort. If the game does not support motion plus, then it's just a useless piece of plastic at the end of your controller.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

The Wii Remote Controller is one of the most advanced controllers out there. It has a built in speaker, motion technology, rumble, wireless, ,bluetooth expansion, infrared technology, and memory. While every feature may not be expensive, it is quite involved.

That being said, I wish the price would come down. $39.99 a controller is steep since launch.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

The only games that need Motion + are Wii sports resort, Tiger Woods, Grand Slam Tennis, Virtua Tennis (optional)

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
The Wii really proved that there is an intense market for peripherals. If Nintendo can eventually release a freaking vitality sensor, you know Nintendo is trying to get their profits from peripherals.
marchofthenoobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 marchofthenoobs

The Wii Remote Controller is one of the most advanced controllers out there. It has a built in speaker, motion technology, rumble, wireless, ,bluetooth expansion, infrared technology, and memory. While every feature may not be expensive, it is quite involved.

flazzle

sure, the Wii remote has all that stuff, but it's all pretty poor quality. bad speaker, very little memory, bad infrared technology rarely knows where you're really pointing). the rest of that stuff is kinda hard to screw up. so sure, the wii remote does lots, but it doesn't do it as well as it should, which is where wii motion plus comes in. it really does work, but unfortunately only 1 decent game uses it, wii sports resort.

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

[QUOTE="flazzle"]

sure, the Wii remote has all that stuff, but it's all pretty poor quality. bad speaker, very little memory, bad infrared technology rarely knows where you're really pointing). the rest of that stuff is kinda hard to screw up. so sure, the wii remote does lots, but it doesn't do it as well as it should, which is where wii motion plus comes in. it really does work, but unfortunately only 1 decent game uses it, wii sports resort.

fanboy alert!! I think the speaker is actually pretty good for how small it is. I mean come on, its a headphone speaker. its hard to make one of those produce good quality sound at a high volume. As for the infared, I don't have a problem. the on screen cursor always is on what I point it at. Maybe you need to adjust your sensitivity on your sensor bar. Can't speak to the memory as its a feature I haven't used, but to my knowledge you can only use it for transporting your Miis anyway at this point.
EddieBGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EddieBGreen
Member since 2009 • 239 Posts

The Wii is dirt cheap if you recognise that most people buy it for the bundled games.

In the UK the Wii is £180 including Wii Sports Resort, Motion Plus and Wii Sports.

Subtract the cost of that game - £50

We are down to £130.

Subtract cost of Wiimote and Nunchuck - £47

We are down to £83 for the Console and Wii Sports.

Now Wii Sports is probably worth £40? I think people would pay that for it.

So we now hit £43 for the console itself.

The 360 comes with a wired controller last time I checked (could be wrong). So let's add the cost of a ****c controller to the figure to be fair - as if Nintendo sold the console with a ****c controller - £16

The Wii would cost £59 if it was a ****c console sold with a ****c controller and no games.

Or $95.

And yes I know there are great game bundles on other systems - and the Wii is often bundled with games by retailers, but nothing that compares to Wii Sports / Resort in gameplay terms.

EddieBGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EddieBGreen
Member since 2009 • 239 Posts

Okay, no idea why the forum **** my classic's!

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#23 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

yes and also buying games for the system is expensive too! I mean come on! $50 games! that's insane!

(this can also be said to the PS3 and 360)

shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
just buy the accessories you need. it ain't so bad.
DumbDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DumbDubya
Member since 2009 • 668 Posts

The Wii is a rip-off. It should be price at $149 at most, and the wiimote, nunchuck and wii motion plus should be bundled together, not sold seperately.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9165 Posts

The Wii is a rip-off. It should be price at $149 at most, and the wiimote, nunchuck and wii motion plus should be bundled together, not sold seperately.

DumbDubya

...and fanboys would be complaining why they have to pay for the wiimote/nunchuck/motion+ bundle when some games dont them...

sold separetely is better than selling bundled at the same price

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

DumbDubya

If it came with all that and a pack in game (like Super Mario Bros Wii or something) I'd actually buy one at that price.