Is it hypocritical to oppose anti-competitive practices but support, purchase, or buy consoles?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

With the Epic vs. Apple trial that bring up the issue of closed platforms and online stores, I would be bold to ask: for those of you who oppose monopolies or forms of anti-competitive practices in the gaming industry, is it really hypocritical to support, purchase, or play home consoles while knowing that they are closed platforms?

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I've always wondered how to pronounce your user name, and what it means...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

It depends.... I am primarily a PC gamer and I don't like to have to waste money on redundant and inferior hardware (consoles) just to play exclusives. However, it is out of necessity to play the games I am interested in. I do it, but I am not happy about it.

Now if someone is primarily a console gamer and is claiming to be against anti-competitve practices, then that would be more hypocritical.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Consoles aren't anticompetitive. If they were... we wouldn't have System Wars. This entire board exists because of competition between the various systems. Thus, there's no hypocrisy.

Enjoy your Epic vs Apple war.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

I support competitive practices as I believe that it ultimately benefits the consumer. I'm all for exclusives, even on platforms I don't own. Eventually, if the library is good enough, I'll be motivated to purchase the platform.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

What I’ve taken away from that trial so far is that Sweeney just wants to be able to tell other companies what to do.

He even claimed Sony not wanting cross play was ‘illegal’. Not sure how he arrived at that but it sounds like he’s the one being anti-competitive here.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

There are three console makers right now and all three of them are fighting for your attention and money. If you don't like Sony games, you can go to MS or Nintendo's platform and play their games. How is that anti-competitive or a monopoly? A monopoly would be Sony being the only console maker left. That would be bad for everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

There are three console makers right now and all three of them are fighting for your attention and money. If you don't like Sony games, you can go to MS or Nintendo's platform and play their games. How is that anti-competitive or a monopoly? A monopoly would be Sony being the only console maker left. That would be bad for everyone.

not neccessarily ps2 had a strangle hold monopoly was 299 and a dvd player during the gamecube xbox days...

I like when theres one clear winner sometimes a big bold mover who crushes comp its good for the industry thann everyone can go to that one.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Well, it depends. I see paying for exclusivity on existing games as anti-competitive. The practice doesn't introduce anything new into the industry, it only hurts gamers as a whole. However, if you are funding a game from the start, then I'm okay with it (up to and until the performance gets compromised). Basically, if the game wouldn't have been made without the financial help of the exclusive platform holder, then it's fair and competitive. Though I would still argue the traditional console business is no longer as profitable as releasing your game on all platforms, given the slim-to-none margins on console hardware and the long R&D cycles.

I also figure it's impossible to be human and not be hypocritical at times.

I do my best to not support things I oppose, but I am also incapable of not playing a Souls game at launch ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly there's a lot of convenience in it - like I would never play an Ubisoft game even if the company weren't run by wanks (except maybe Rayman - see, there is it!).

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@Zero_epyon said:

not neccessarily ps2 had a strangle hold monopoly was 299 and a dvd player during the gamecube xbox days...

I like when theres one clear winner sometimes a big bold mover who crushes comp its good for the industry thann everyone can go to that one.

PS2 was popular. It was not a monopoly as Nintendo and Sega were still making consoles and then MS jumped in.

Having one clear winner is why Sega is out of the console market. It could have happened to Xbox as well if it weren't backed by MS.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@BassMan said:

It depends.... I am primarily a PC gamer and I don't like to have to waste money on redundant and inferior hardware (consoles) just to play exclusives. However, it is out of necessity to play the games I am interested in. I do it, but I am not happy about it.

Now if someone is primarily a console gamer and is claiming to be against anti-competitve practices, then that would be more hypocritical.

Well said, agree with this.

@Telekill said:

Consoles aren't anticompetitive. If they were... we wouldn't have System Wars. This entire board exists because of competition between the various systems. Thus, there's no hypocrisy.

Enjoy your Epic vs Apple war.

Unless....unless SW is itself hypocritical.

No...it couldn't be. Could it?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

I'm not sure his intent - but St. Onesiphorus is in the New Testament. He is one of the 70 disciples Jesus sent out to preach the word of God.

Biblically, it's pronounce "on-uh-SIF-uh-ruhs"

Thank you, CCD...

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

People are anti-competitive around here? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Users definitely can be but a forum board? Nope

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@dabear said:
@shadyacshuns said:

I'm not sure his intent - but St. Onesiphorus is in the New Testament. He is one of the 70 disciples Jesus sent out to preach the word of God.

Biblically, it's pronounce "on-uh-SIF-uh-ruhs"

Thank you, CCD...

Thanks for the info.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Most of the criticism, including from me, is that exclusives are inherently anti-consumer. That is not the same thing as anti-competitive.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@BassMan said:

[...] it is out of necessity to play the games I am interested in. I do it, but I am not happy about it.

Pretty much this, also gaming on PC here.

Although with the Switch I gotta admit it's an exception because I love its unique (compared to the competition) form-factor.

Now if my Switch could stream my PC games, that would just take it to another level.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

You can be of two (or more) minds on an issue without being hypocritical. I have always found Binary thinking to be a strange thing.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

Yes. It’s the height of hypocrisy.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Some of you dont know what the word monopoly means.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1392 Posts

Title doesn't make sense.

Define "anti competitive practices".

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Is anti competitive the same as anti consumer? Xbox is a closed platform, but is becoming very pro consumer.

A closed platform also makes the system very easy to use. macOS is very simple. I wouldn't even call it anti competitive. You are still allowed to install software from the web, most of the software I use is not from the store. And only their store which is closed like all stores.

It's only an issue on ios and android devices, because they are store only.

But from what I remember, apple never said Epic can't have their own app, they said they can't use their store to make money only for themselves. This was some time ago I read about it, but it sounds like Epic are trying to have their cake and eat it.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:

one-sif-for-res or one sīf-for-res

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

All companies have anti-consumer practices. The key as a consumer is: which anti-consumer practices are deal breakers? Which affects you personally? Do I love their product more than I hate their practices?

Nintendo does some things that I dislike, however I like their games and their product more than I dislike their practices. Their games are so appealing to me that their bad practices are worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Business look after their interests and will push things as far as they can. And consumers should look after their own interests too.

The problem is, as brands are marketed in a way that they become part of the consumers identities it hacks consumers brains so that they defend them as if themselves, even against their own interests.

Use whatever product suits you but always demand more, not less.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

You can be critical of exclusivity of games whilst still being a console owner.

I do not believe an existing multi-platform game should become exclusive to one platform. It is different for first party games or games that one console owner helps fund.

I fear that MS and my console Sony have their companies filled with people at executive level who have no interest in video games. Nintendo seems to have retained the balance between being a business and still being a company that loves video games.

It is a shame because in the lower levels of MS and Sony there will be people who love games but they will not have any decision making power.

For example I do not agree with Sony keeping Spiderman off the Avengers games for non-Sony editions, FF7R should have been be multi-platform and MS should not have bought Bethesda.

If you want console exclusives then fund and develop first party games.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I am just wondering how someone could possibly equate a single product made by a single company as being a monopoly. A monopoly of what? A monopoly of itself? Wtf?

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#29 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Business look after their interests and will push things as far as they can. And consumers should look after their own interests too.

The problem is, as brands are marketed in a way that they become part of the consumers identities it hacks consumers brains so that they defend them as if themselves, even against their own interests.

This

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos said:

That's the psychology of consumerism and brand loyalty for you.

The best benefit for a company is to get their consumers to stop thinking for themselves and to just buy based on the logo.

I know at least one faction on this site has forfeited the sovereignty of their own minds in exchange of chasing logos like a carrot on a stick held in front of them.