Is it fair to say Sony is winning the VR war?

• 111 results
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@blueberry_bandit said:
@commander said:

Not much of a war to be honest you're looking at 700$ setups vs 1400$ setups.

Sony is just selling better because it's the cheapest to get into, apart from mobile platforms.

You can buy-in for PC VR for around $900-950 (PC included), which is still more, but not as big of a difference as you think.

how you going to do that , I spend like 1200 and my graphics card and cpu are second handed. My headset is a rift.

I'm even below minimum system specs for fallout 4 with my gtx 970

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

I will always be a console gamer, and PC gamers keep reminding me I've made the right choice, like you have just done thanks for that.

lmao. If you really let gamers affect your system choices like that, you wouldn't be gaming on any system.

@i_p_daily said:

Platform first, games second? yeah I bought a console I knew would give me the best racing games.

Yes, the console with (arguably) the best racing games, but not the system with the best racing games as well as the best racing game set ups. You even put up with a 2nd rate version of your favorite racing series lol.

Anyways, my only point was why would you even care about VR for racing games if you're not even a racing genre enthusiast? Which is a fair point. It's obviously just not that big a deal to you.

@i_p_daily said:

You can paint me as a fanboy and that's cool, but while you were painting you seemed to have get some on yourself :(

Except it's not really fanboyish to just point out a fact. :(

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

It's funny, I was in the camp that thought Sony would soil peoples impressions on VR, trying to push it on such a weak system. Eating crow now, but it's all good.

@Shewgenja said:

@i_p_daily: Claims to be racing fan...

Shuns the gaming medium that does it the most justice.

lol come on now.

If he was that big on racing games, he'd have been a PC gamer years ago.

Kinda reminds me of Finalstar. Obsessing over JRPGs, while actively avoiding systems with JRPGs.

For some people it's platform first, games second.

I will always be a console gamer, and PC gamers keep reminding me I've made the right choice, like you have just done thanks for that.

Platform first, games second? yeah I bought a console I knew would give me the best racing games. You can paint me as a fanboy and that's cool, but while you were painting you seemed to have get some on yourself :(

Time to shut this shit down.

Something you might not know about me. I am connected to the SCCA here where I live. So, racing (like, actual in the car vroom vroom racing) is a passion of mine. You'll have to pardon me if I find it a little funny that you INSIST on the best racing game being the same old pad or wheel in hand and peering into the racing world via a flatscreen, and that any assertion contrary is fanboyism. It is that level of thinking that tells me you have never had a real track day in your life and have driven a Honda Accord all your life. In short, you can have an opinion all you want but cut it with the fanboy shit.

The year is 2017. There are plenty of great racing games out there and a healthy number of those have embraced VR. Why? Probably because there are people like me out there that took their love of Gran Turismo in the 90s to new heights. Some of us know what it is to drop to 2nd through a sharp turn in their 370z and either LOVE to emulate that experience off the track or see what it might be like in a Ferrari 488 GTB. We want as much of that experience as we can possibly buy back, and we're willing to pay for a headset and wheel to do it.

THAT IS the kind of fanboyism you can accuse me of all day long, too. I love racing. I've felt it through my bones, dude. So, if you want to plop down in front of your TV and stay in the 90s, cool fuckin story. You do you. I've torn through more money in tires on a weekend than you did buying your chickenshit limpdick Scorpio. So sit and spin with the fanboy talk.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

Platform first, games second? yeah I bought a console I knew would give me the best racing games. You can paint me as a fanboy and that's cool, but while you were painting you seemed to have get some on yourself :(

PC is by far and away the best platform for racing games. There is no room for debate on this.

Frame rate and input lag make an enormous difference in this genre. If you take racing games (or shooters) seriously, PC is the only platform you should be gaming on. Another massive benefit of PC gaming is you can use any input device.

BLN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 BLN1
Member since 2017 • 128 Posts

in context, sure. I think it's the best selling one so far, and Sony seems pleased with its sales, so there's that.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@commander said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@commander said:

Not much of a war to be honest you're looking at 700$ setups vs 1400$ setups.

Sony is just selling better because it's the cheapest to get into, apart from mobile platforms.

You can buy-in for PC VR for around $900-950 (PC included), which is still more, but not as big of a difference as you think.

how you going to do that , I spend like 1200 and my graphics card and cpu are second handed. My headset is a rift.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=803136621 is an example.

But you can also use pcpartpicker to get low prices too.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
@blueberry_bandit said:
@commander said:

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=803136621 is an example.

But you can also use pcpartpicker to get low prices too.

you have no monitor but it is indeed a cheap deal, but you can find cheap deals on psvr/ps4 as well.

In the end you're still looking at a major price difference.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

There isn't a war right now.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#59 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts
@crashnburn281 said:

There isn't a war right now.

+1 This.

This mentality is whats wrong with Sony fanboys in a nutshell. They are gaming narcissists.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@i_p_daily said:

lmao. If you really let gamers affect your system choices like that, you wouldn't be gaming on any system.

@i_p_daily said:

Platform first, games second? yeah I bought a console I knew would give me the best racing games.

Yes, the console with (arguably) the best racing games, but not the system with the best racing games as well as the best racing game set ups. You even put up with a 2nd rate version of your favorite racing series lol.

Anyways, my only point was why would you even care about VR for racing games if you're not even a racing genre enthusiast? Which is a fair point. It's obviously just not that big a deal to you.

@i_p_daily said:

You can paint me as a fanboy and that's cool, but while you were painting you seemed to have get some on yourself :(

Except it's not really fanboyish to just point out a fact. :(

So playing Forza 7 on my X is a 2nd rate version, well then that's fine with me lol.

You can't seem to get your head around the fact that I will always be a console gamer, not because of PC gamers such as yourself, it's because it's what I grew up on and will never change, I care not for PC specs and the like. Just that when you guys go on your elitist BS I just think to myself i'm glad I don't game with them :)

Someone who likes racing games doesn't have to like VR, it's not like the 2 are not have to match. Liking or disliking VR doesn't make you more/less a racing enthusiast, just personal preference.

As for you pointing out a fact, well I said I bought the console that suits me best for the games I like. You act that because I like racing games then I must buy a PC and because it has the best, and that I bought an Xbox instead because i'm a fanboy first and will just buy whatever is on that console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Shewgenja said:
@i_p_daily said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

It's funny, I was in the camp that thought Sony would soil peoples impressions on VR, trying to push it on such a weak system. Eating crow now, but it's all good.

@Shewgenja said:

@i_p_daily: Claims to be racing fan...

Shuns the gaming medium that does it the most justice.

lol come on now.

If he was that big on racing games, he'd have been a PC gamer years ago.

Kinda reminds me of Finalstar. Obsessing over JRPGs, while actively avoiding systems with JRPGs.

For some people it's platform first, games second.

Time to shut this shit down.

Something you might not know about me. I am connected to the SCCA here where I live. So, racing (like, actual in the car vroom vroom racing) is a passion of mine. You'll have to pardon me if I find it a little funny that you INSIST on the best racing game being the same old pad or wheel in hand and peering into the racing world via a flatscreen, and that any assertion contrary is fanboyism. It is that level of thinking that tells me you have never had a real track day in your life and have driven a Honda Accord all your life. In short, you can have an opinion all you want but cut it with the fanboy shit.

The year is 2017. There are plenty of great racing games out there and a healthy number of those have embraced VR. Why? Probably because there are people like me out there that took their love of Gran Turismo in the 90s to new heights. Some of us know what it is to drop to 2nd through a sharp turn in their 370z and either LOVE to emulate that experience off the track or see what it might be like in a Ferrari 488 GTB. We want as much of that experience as we can possibly buy back, and we're willing to pay for a headset and wheel to do it.

THAT IS the kind of fanboyism you can accuse me of all day long, too. I love racing. I've felt it through my bones, dude. So, if you want to plop down in front of your TV and stay in the 90s, cool fuckin story. You do you. I've torn through more money in tires on a weekend than you did buying your chickenshit limpdick Scorpio. So sit and spin with the fanboy talk.

You don't need to lie to kick it dude, you don't know me so save the BS for someone else who's willing to listen to it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@UssjTrunks said:
@i_p_daily said:

PC is by far and away the best platform for racing games. There is no room for debate on this.

Frame rate and input lag make an enormous difference in this genre. If you take racing games (or shooters) seriously, PC is the only platform you should be gaming on. Another massive benefit of PC gaming is you can use any input device.

I said best for me, not best in general, and you act like one can't be serious because they enjoy playing racers on console because it's not teh best, This is the type of PC elitist shit that annoys me about PC gamers.

Avatar image for twosidedpolygon
TwoSidedPolygon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TwoSidedPolygon
Member since 2017 • 45 Posts

According to technologyreview.com,

By the end of 2016, 800,000 PlayStation VR units were expected to have sold, according to the research firm Canalys, along with about 500,000 HTC Vive and 400,000 Oculus Rift headsets.

That's 900,000 total PC headests compared to 800,000 PSVR. I'm not sure what the current Oculus Rift/HTC Vive numbers are, so that's why I'm showing these numbers instead.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@twosidedpolygon said:

By the end of 2016, 800,000 PlayStation VR units were expected to have sold, according to the research firm Canalys, along with about 500,000 HTC Vive and 400,000 Oculus Rift headsets.

That's 900,000 total PC headests compared to 800,000 PSVR. I'm not sure what the current Oculus Rift/HTC Vive numbers are, so that's why I'm showing these numbers instead.

If I had to make a realistic guess, I would say at least 1 million Vives and 1 milllion Rifts have been sold, considering how the price cuts have helped sales quite a bit and they seem to be neck and neck in Steam hardware survey's, though it might be in Rift's favor as some Rift users use the Oculus store rather than Steam. Probably around 200k Windows Mixed Reality headsets as well.

Therefore, I expect there to be somewhere between 4 million to 4.5 million high-end VR headsets sold as of right now, which is not bad honestly.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#65 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

VR is awesome it doesn't need a war.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Selling 2 million PSVR units is nothing to sneeze at. And it's clear that Sony is going all in on it, with the numerous announcements that they made for more VR games. This is not a PS Vita situation for sure. Do you think Sony can keep the momentum going, SW?

How is it a war when they're not really competing against the PSVR. Last time I checked Vive and CV1 aren't compatible on consoles.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

VR does not appear to be a highly competitive market. Sony selling more units doesn't mean it's the most financially profitable. I don't know what they spend to manufacture and ship but I would surmise Vive probably has a higher profit margin as they stayed in the $800 range for quite a while and it sold pretty well.

That said, mobile VR is likely the true winner, those $10 VR units probably only cost a couple bucks to make. Either way, there's certainly no shortage of content on any of the VR's but Sony does seem to have less content than the others.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

PSVR is pretty good headset, beating the more expensive ones in some areas like screen door effect, the problem for me is the hardware powering the headset and the sacrifices required to get high fps out of the device

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@kingtito said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Selling 2 million PSVR units is nothing to sneeze at. And it's clear that Sony is going all in on it, with the numerous announcements that they made for more VR games. This is not a PS Vita situation for sure. Do you think Sony can keep the momentum going, SW?

How is it a war when they're not really competing against the PSVR. Last time I checked Vive and CV1 aren't compatible on consoles.

As someone else said the whole "war" mentality is stupid, cows thinking like this is terrible for gaming.

I've read and seen cows claim that they'd want to "win" the war and be the only console left standing, yeah a console with 0 competition.. give me a break.

such a whack mentality

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 kingtito

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@kingtito said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

As someone else said the whole "war" mentality is stupid, cows thinking like this is terrible for gaming.

I've read and seen cows claim that they'd want to "win" the war and be the only console left standing, yeah a console with 0 competition.. give me a break.

such a whack mentality

Well, they're not really the gamers they claim to be. Gaming is a hobby so why put limits.

Cows - "we don't love our console, we just hate yours"

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

PSVR is leading the pack but I don’t see it as a war, and I don’t think Sony sees it as one either. Sony’s success in VR is success for VR as a whole since it’s such a fledgling market.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 kingtito

@quadknight said:

PSVR is leading the pack but I don’t see it as a war, and I don’t think Sony sees it as one either. Sony’s success in VR is success for VR as a whole since it’s such a fledgling market.

That's pretty much how I see it as well. I don't think a war is what VR needs at this point anyway. Grow the user base, expand the library and continue to improve the tech.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#73 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Who is this blueberry bandit? only ever seems to talk about VR/PSVR, smells like a cow alt, and we know there isn't many cows who love VR/PSVR, so he/she could only be an alt of only a handful of cows lol.

blueberry bandit...

LOL

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#74  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@boycie said:

@SecretPolice: I actually think it’s a thread maker bot that has been left on it’s own to go insane.

A bit like those russian number radio stations.

lol TC used to be normal.

but his brain has gone bye bye. now he just makes non threating threads to make his life easier and bearable lol

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@boycie said:

@SecretPolice: I actually think it’s a thread maker bot that has been left on it’s own to go insane.

but his brain has gone bye bye. now he just makes non threating threads to make his life easier and bearable lol

Charz still makes threads, so why the hell not this guy SolidGame?

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@boycie said:

Maybe too much VR fried his/her brain. FDA should look into this case.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#78 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@twosidedpolygon said:

The closest to actual numbers I can find atm are from the first half of 2017 (link) HTC Vive - 667,000, Oculus Rift - 383,000 and PSVR - 1.8 million.

This has got me thinking about Stem user numbers as well. According to the Steam Survey (which doesn't really match the above figures) HTC Vive is 0.16% and Oculus Rift is at 0.17%. I suppose with the drop in price of OR last year the numbers sold could have increased dramatically. Interestingly though this would potentially put the total Steam users numbers in excess of 400,000,000, maybe my maths are wrong but that's a lot more than when they last published their user figures in 2015.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Blueberry_Bandit

I'm just someone who likes to inform people of VR and give people a proper understanding with actual facts so that people aren't mislead, as many people currently are.

@GarGx1 said:
@twosidedpolygon said:

The closest to actual numbers I can find atm are from the first half of 2017 (link) HTC Vive - 667,000, Oculus Rift - 383,000 and PSVR - 1.8 million.

This has got me thinking about Stem user numbers as well. According to the Steam Survey (which doesn't really match the above figures) HTC Vive is 0.16% and Oculus Rift is at 0.17%. I suppose with the drop in price of OR last year the numbers sold could have increased dramatically. Interestingly though this would potentially put the total Steam users numbers in excess of 400,000,000, maybe my maths are wrong but that's a lot more than when they last published their user figures in 2015.

Steam Hardware surveys are pretty weird. I'm sure plenty of VR users don't participate in the survey in the first place, and Oculus users have the Oculus Store which some people use exclusively.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@blueberry_bandit said:

I'm just someone who likes to inform people of VR and give people a proper understanding with actual facts so that people aren't mislead, as many people currently are.

@GarGx1 said:
@twosidedpolygon said:

Steam Hardware surveys are pretty weird. I'm sure plenty of VR users don't participate in the survey in the first place, and Oculus users have the Oculus Store which some people use exclusively.

Like all surveys, it's an average not an exact figure. The last time I looked at it the HTC Vive was listed as the most used VR device but that wasn't exactly recently. Actually the only reason I had looked at it today was because for the first time in years I participated.

It does still indicate that there are a huge number of people using Steam, what the actual number is can't be accurately calculated, only estimated.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Forza is the best racing series.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

East or West,Sony is the best.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@indzman said:

East or West,Sony is the best.

North or south its just hot air coming from your mouth :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@blueberry_bandit said:

That is a flat out lie, you try to mislead people by stating that nearly everyone who try VR will like it, and those who don't will with the next gen VR devices which is not fact, just a personal opinion from you, that is a fact.

Why don't you post on your normal account, why create an alt to "inform" people.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#85 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

I think they're doing okay with VR.

Loading Video...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44046 Posts

Perhaps and if so, grats, you're the tallest. lolol :"P

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@i_p_daily said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

That is a flat out lie, you try to mislead people by stating that nearly everyone who try VR will like it, and those who don't will with the next gen VR devices which is not fact, just a personal opinion from you, that is a fact.

Why don't you post on your normal account, why create an alt to "inform" people.

I have yet to tell a lie. You on the other hand continue to mislead people with a skewed vision of what VR is, because you admit yourself that you have never tried VR. Therefore, no one should trust anything you have to say because you don't understand the subject. Everyone in this thread that has read your posts will undoubtedly agree with me.

"That is a flat out lie, you try to mislead people by stating that nearly everyone who try VR will like it, and those who don't will with the next gen VR devices which is not fact, just a personal opinion from you, that is a fact."

I never said this, so you're telling a lie right there. I said that almost everyone who tries VR will like it (Which is true, the majority of people are fans of VR after trying it. Go find me feedback from people who hated it, I guarantee you it will be a lot harder than finding feedback from people who enjoyed it). And I said that just about everyone (ergo: almost everyone, aka a vast majority - which still isn't everyone like you claim) would become a fan after trying 3rd generation devices and beyond. This latter part was never intended to be a fact, but an opinion, and definitely a very likely opinion. The former statement however, is fact whether you agree or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#88 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

How cares? VR is a gimmick that'll die soon in gaming, just like motioncontrols did.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@Icarian said:

How cares? VR is a gimmick that'll die soon in gaming, just like motioncontrols did.

Any reasons? I'd love to see some actual solid arguments. Time and time again, most points people have against VR are things that will be fixed in the next few years, so it ultimately won't affect the future of VR. There are some things you can argue that might not be fixed for a long time, but then again, what technologies are perfect? Everything has drawbacks, but it won't be long until VR has only a few drawbacks that whatever remains is overshadowed by the positives in most people's eyes.

mane_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 mane_basic
Member since 2002 • 537 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

They are winning the sales war, but not the quality war. The thing that makes VR go from just being a novelty to being something truly incredible and game-changing is room-scale, but the PSVR is not capable of offering that.

I disagree roomscale isn't that big of a deal. that is why I love the fact the psvr is the best selling one so dev can stop focusing on roomscale and just make good games. once psvr breaks 5 mil we will finally see the big devs making vr games and thank god roomscale will get less of their time.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Alright... I got a PSVR for Christmas from my wonderful wife and have off and on had time to play. She initially spoofed me by giving me a phone VR headset and tried that a couple times. I've also tried Vive for a few minutes as a brother-in-law has it. Here are my thoughts.

The phone VR is obviously front heavy due to the phone being the brain and screen. I have a Galaxy S8 and even with that newer phone the games still look horrible and the tracking seems to be less than 30 fps making me nauseous pretty quick. I can't recommend this option even with the easy affordability.

Now onto the Vive. The demo I played was running really smooth and the setup was pretty neat having cameras/sensors around the room mapping and outlining the walls and furniture for the player. It would even place certain items such as a desk over the desk in real life at the same height which was a real mind trip. The demos I played had no forward motion so I didn't get nauseous but the potential is still there. The headset did feel a bit heavy and the controllers were awkward to get used too but could become routine rather quickly. Great overall experience but my bro also has a top notch gaming PC that he spent thousands on for both gaming and work.

Onto PSVR.

This is the set I've used most and I've tried many demos and games which luckily many are free. My first experience on PSVR was the Last Guardian and it was pretty cool getting to "meet" my bird-dog "in person". There is no forward motion in this game as you warp around the room. Same goes for Rise of the TR in Lara's mansion.

Games with forward motion, an option in Rise as well as RE7, Robinson Journey, luge demo, and Drive Club VR do tend to make me nauseous. Driving takes more time for the effect because you're used to not moving your legs in a car to move forward. The other games make it difficult and I find I can only spend 40-60 minutes playing before I have to take a break.

Then there are games like Playroom VR and Moss where you control a character normally but free view the level surrounding them. Playroom has minimal forward motion so it's not bad but both of these felt like I was in a Pixar movie. I'll be picking up Moss for sure.

I'm really looking forward to trying Ace Combat 7 but assume I'll have similar motion sickness after a few minutes.

The head and controller tracking is done really well. I have yet to try the move controllers with it but will this weekend. The headset is also surprisingly light weight and fits the head with a comfortably snug grip. I've also found that the picture in the headset isn't great often looking like a blurry 720p picture where everything but the center is out of focus. It can be an issue at times.

My wife took advantage of Sony's sale getting the headset for $200. If you already have a PS4 and were able to snag the PSVR at that price, I would recommend it. At the normally $300-$400 price tag on the PSVR, I would recommend trying it out to see if you're prone to becoming nauseous or simply wait and see what happens in the VR space.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Blueberry_Bandit

@Telekill said:

Onto PSVR.

This is the set I've used most and I've tried many demos and games which luckily many are free. My first experience on PSVR was the Last Guardian and it was pretty cool getting to "meet" my bird-dog "in person". There is no forward motion in this game as you warp around the room. Same goes for Rise of the TR in Lara's mansion.

Games with forward motion, an option in Rise as well as RE7, Robinson Journey, luge demo, and Drive Club VR do tend to make me nauseous. Driving takes more time for the effect because you're used to not moving your legs in a car to move forward. The other games make it difficult and I find I can only spend 40-60 minutes playing before I have to take a break.

Then there are games like Playroom VR and Moss where you control a character normally but free view the level surrounding them. Playroom has minimal forward motion so it's not bad but both of these felt like I was in a Pixar movie. I'll be picking up Moss for sure.

I'm really looking forward to trying Ace Combat 7 but assume I'll have similar motion sickness after a few minutes.

The head and controller tracking is done really well. I have yet to try the move controllers with it but will this weekend.

Try setting a fan blowing towards your face. Not sure why, but it helps combat motion sickness. Also eating ginger helps a lot, and lastly make use of any comfort options you see in games.

And the Move controllers are totally worth the purchase. Having your hands in VR is just such a step forward as you probably notice with the Vive. Being able to interact with the world that you see is key, and I rarely find myself playing games using a gamepad. Though on PSVR there are certainly some worthwhile gamepad-only games like Resident Evil 7.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

It's still humorous to see how, not much more than a year ago, so many said Oculus and Vive would be winning with ease. Now they've moved the goalposts and say the PSVR is selling because there are a lot of PS4s out there.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@twosidedpolygon: "By the end of 2016, 800,000 PlayStation VR units were expected to have sold,"

Isn't that less than 2 months worth of sales then?(Came out in November 2016 I believe)

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#95 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

It's against the grain to give Sony credit here, so people will naturally say that there is no VR war. If PSVR failed vs the competition, posters here would have jumped on the train to deride Sony.

Same applies to MS, but to a lesser degree (given the state they are in vs the competition).

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@blueberry_bandit: I have an in window AC unit blowing on me while I play(although it's too cold out now for that). It does help with motion sickness for sure and also adds another sense while playing. It was pretty neat playing farpoint with it on.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@blueberry_bandit: - Thanks for the heads up. I'll be trying your suggestions to combat motion sickness.

I already have two Move controllers that I bought years ago. I just need to charge them. Which games have you had the most interaction with via the move controllers?

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Blueberry_Bandit

@Telekill said:

@blueberry_bandit: - Thanks for the heads up. I'll be trying your suggestions to combat motion sickness.

I already have two Move controllers that I bought years ago. I just need to charge them. Which games have you had the most interaction with via the move controllers?

I don't own a PSVR, I personally have a Rift, but I play on my friend's PSVR every now and then. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Star Trek Bridgecrew, Skyrim VR, Job Simulator, The Brookhaven Experiment are some good examples that allow plenty of interaction with the controllers.

If you get ahold of the aim controller, then you could also play Farpoint.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@blueberry_bandit said:
@i_p_daily said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

I have yet to tell a lie. You on the other hand continue to mislead people with a skewed vision of what VR is, because you admit yourself that you have never tried VR. Therefore, no one should trust anything you have to say because you don't understand the subject. Everyone in this thread that has read your posts will undoubtedly agree with me.

"That is a flat out lie, you try to mislead people by stating that nearly everyone who try VR will like it, and those who don't will with the next gen VR devices which is not fact, just a personal opinion from you, that is a fact."

I never said this, so you're telling a lie right there. I said that almost everyone who tries VR will like it (Which is true, the majority of people are fans of VR after trying it. Go find me feedback from people who hated it, I guarantee you it will be a lot harder than finding feedback from people who enjoyed it). And I said that just about everyone (ergo: almost everyone, aka a vast majority - which still isn't everyone like you claim) would become a fan after trying 3rd generation devices and beyond. This latter part was never intended to be a fact, but an opinion, and definitely a very likely opinion. The former statement however, is fact whether you agree or not.

Read the first 3 parts I put in bold, they are your opinions (lies without proof) they are not fact.

Now read the 2 parts that I underlined, you will notice that I never said everyone, but nearly everyone like you claimed in the last 2 bold parts.

So above is all the proof needed that everyone who reads this can tell that you lie to kick it, and you have embarrassed yourself like all VR nuts jobs do.

You're just not good at this on this account or any other one, maybe its time to shut this one down and create another alt lol.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@blueberry_bandit said:
@Coolyfett said:
@biack_goku said:

All the VR companies are in this together right now but I noticed some of the people behind Oculus and Vive were impressed with how Sony managed VR on consoles.

It seems like an interesting medium, but its not a technology that stands on its on. They have a very long way to go. The headsets basically need to replace what the handheld games used to be. What they need is a wifi connection or ethernet port and give the headsets the ability to download games directly to the headset. The power can still come from a wall socket, because a battery would drain too fast. The other 2 headsets need gaming PCs to run. The industry needs these headsets to run the games on their own independent of PC or console. VR still has a long way to go.

Oculus is releasing a $200 standalone VR headset next year. The only hardware you need is the headset. No phone, no console, no PC. In 2019, Oculus are releasing a more revolutionary standalone headset which will be 6DoF and have 2 6DoF motion controllers. That makes it the same as high-end VR headsets, only that it will have less processing power to work with. It also means that world-scale VR becomes possible, where you can walk across the whole planet and have that mapped 1:1 in a virtual world.

Standalone VR is where VR is headed. To make up for lack of processing power, I'm sure future iterations will allow you to dock (Like Nintendo Switch) to your PC to get the same high-end experience as before.

Agreed. that's where I think most of VR activity will shift towards. Right now, Oculus, Google and Microsoft are moving towards that area. I doubt you'll see Sony since they need to get a PS4 into a VR form factor and they don't have the engineering to do it.