Is it fair to say Sony is winning the VR war?

• 111 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45084 Posts

Selling 2 million PSVR units is nothing to sneeze at. And it's clear that Sony is going all in on it, with the numerous announcements that they made for more VR games. This is not a PS Vita situation for sure. Do you think Sony can keep the momentum going, SW?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Why does it have to be a war.

All the VR manufacturers are helping to make VR cheaper and more mainstream.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

It's too early to be a war. The whole scene behind Vr is very cooperative right now. The high tide raises all ships.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: All in and not one Naughty Dog game among it's other high studios, do you even think before you type shit?

Yeah Sony is winning the war and 2 million owners is not something to sneeze at, laughter is more appropriate LOL.

Winning the war one checkout at a time.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shewgenja

@i_p_daily: Claims to be racing fan...

Shuns the gaming medium that does it the most justice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Shewgenja said:

Yeah I heard Driveclub VR is amazing

/sarcasm

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Sony are the only ones pouring money into that black hole. Reminds of when MS was wasting money on Kinect.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

Not much of a war if the other combatants are dragging their feet. It's like having the best lawn on a block people aren't real eager to move to.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

Embarassing

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44038 Posts

No but it's fair to say... You're a attention whore who only makes lame threads instead of contributing to others threads. Gawd, can you be mooaar transparent? :P

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

... This is not a PS Vita situation for sure...

yeah,. the Vita sold 14 million times :P

Won in what exactly? Selling well? I guess?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@SecretPolice: I actually think it’s a thread maker bot that has been left on it’s own to go insane.

A bit like those russian number radio stations.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice

@boycie:

Fell off mah chair laughing. Good stuff. :D

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

PSVR is the most successful VR product. Congrats to Sony.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SecretPolice

Tallest midget contest....

Winning!!! lol :P

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

It's pretty clear at this point that PSVR seems to be getting a lot more games optimized for it. Even though the hardware is better on other platforms and images may be sharper.... games seem like throwaways.

Look at the Skyrim launch vs Fallout and Doom. One was heavily promotoed the other 2 were fairly quite launches with what appears like a lot less effort.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

It's funny, I was in the camp that thought Sony would soil peoples impressions on VR, trying to push it on such a weak system. Eating crow now, but it's all good.

@Shewgenja said:

lol come on now.

If he was that big on racing games, he'd have been a PC gamer years ago.

Kinda reminds me of Finalstar. Obsessing over JRPGs, while actively avoiding systems with JRPGs.

For some people it's platform first, games second.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

They are winning the sales war, but not the quality war. The thing that makes VR go from just being a novelty to being something truly incredible and game-changing is room-scale, but the PSVR is not capable of offering that.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

@SolidGame_basic: All in and not one Naughty Dog game among it's other high studios, do you even think before you type shit?

Yeah Sony is winning the war and 2 million owners is not something to sneeze at, laughter is more appropriate LOL.

Dat butthurt, where's Xbone's VR? Oh right, after the failure of Kinect they're afraid to try something new.

And the only laughter that is appropriate, is for Xbone's abysymal sales.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

@ConanTheStoner said:

It's funny, I was in the camp that thought Sony would soil peoples impressions on VR, trying to push it on such a weak system. Eating crow now, but it's all good.

I think that Sony is soiling people's impressions of VR, but not because of it being pushed on a weak system. That's not the biggest problem with PSVR. It's soiling people's impressions of VR because of it's poor tracking technology and lack of room-scale. Good tracking and room-scale are critical to making a VR experience more than just a novelty.

I can tell that all of the people that ignorantly call VR a gimmick have only tried at most PSVR which doesn't show what VR is truly capable of because of it's poor tracking and lack of room-scale. Once people experience room-scale, they don't call it a gimmick anymore, but sadly, most people's first VR experience will be with PSVR or something even crappier like those Android VR headsets and that will soil people's impressions of VR.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34588 Posts

Best in sales, worst in quality. Is that winning?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shewgenja

@storm_of_swords: have you actuallytried psvr? The tracking works fine.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#24 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

To be honest, it might not seem like much now but dominating this space in the long-term could be huge for Sony. I don't see yet if VR has a future, but if it does this could help Sony's business.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@storm_of_swords: Gear VR soiled it for me. PSVR is a 100 times better than that. I got the newest Gear VR with a 4k display phone and it looks no where as good as PSVR. I'd love to play a game on Vive if I could afford it. If the cord was suspended from the ceiling(maybe it is?) That be even better. Never understood why you'd want to walk around in such a small area until I played some games where you create objects or environments like they are actually right it front of you... It'd be cool to be able to walk around them. PSVR let's you grab, twist and and throw objects but walking around isn't really possible or advised at least. My point, PSVR opens up people's minds to see how awesome VR is and more importantly, how awesome it can/will be in the future.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@Litchie: There's pros and cons to all of them. PSVR excels at games, quality and quantity, and the fact it's plug and play. It's the most comfortable headset and has the least screen door effect of the 3, even though it has a lower resolution. The cost of a complete setup is also a big advantage. The other two have their advantages as well.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Lmao some savage responses here

In terms of consoles they are doing okay, but I still see VRs as a niche product and so does many consumers.

Maybe in 3 years

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:

Sony are the only ones pouring money into that black hole. Reminds of when MS was wasting money on Kinect.

And Microsoft, Facebook, Google, HTC / Valve, Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, Nvidia, AMD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

@Shewgenja said:

@storm_of_swords: have you actuallytried psvr? The tracking works fine.

No, but I have tried Playstation Move and experienced how subpar the tracking is for it. Playstation VR uses Playstation Move for it's tracking and if Playstation Move's tracking sucked outside of VR, it no doubt sucks in VR as well. I've also read many reviews and user experiences that have further confirmed that Playstation VR has far worse tracking than the Oculus Rift and especially the Vive. I also know that Playstation VR is not capable of room-scale and I know from experience how critical room-scale is to the VR experience.

Have you tried a room-scale game on the Vive? I think if you did and got to experience what great tracking is, you would no longer consider the tracking on Playstation VR to be "fine".

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

How does this have 29 posts when Boyice nailed it in post one?? No war, just a joint effort to make VR mainstream and I for one is ready to jump on board in a year or two!

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I didn't even know VR war was a thing, it's been kinda running itself into ground lately.

deadlyyraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deadlyyraven
Member since 2017 • 27 Posts

there is no such a thing as vr war

maybe in like ten years but definitely not now

and if it really was then sony is winning

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Lol. Yep. The dude claims to love racing so much------>sh_ts on the medium that brings racing to the next level. The dude obsesses for a straight year on the PSVR, pretending to be an expert on it------->then lets it slip out that he has actually never used a PSVR. I believe I see a pattern here. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Yep. The PSVR is the leader. Sony announces new VR games at every show. E3, Paris, PSX, or just on random days. There are over 150 PSVR games, with many exclusives including Skyrim, Rush of Blood, RE7, Farpoint etc., etc. This article below sums it up nicely.

"PSX 2017 Showed Why Sony Is Leading The VR Race With PSVR"

https://uploadvr.com/psx-2017-showed-sony-leading-vr-race-psvr/

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#35 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Selling 2 million PSVR units is nothing to sneeze at. And it's clear that Sony is going all in on it, with the numerous announcements that they made for more VR games. This is not a PS Vita situation for sure. Do you think Sony can keep the momentum going, SW?

The technology is still too expensive. PlayStation cant change the industry alone.....or maybe they can like Nintendo did with the NES. Righ now PSVR is still too expensive with not enough software.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

Yep. The PSVR is the leader. Sony announces new VR games at every show. E3, Paris, PSX, or just on random days. There are over 150 PSVR games, with many exclusives including Skyrim, Rush of Blood, RE7, Farpoint etc., etc. This article below sums it up nicely.

"PSX 2017 Showed Why Sony Is Leading The VR Race With PSVR"

https://uploadvr.com/psx-2017-showed-sony-leading-vr-race-psvr/

This.

In the end, just like consoles, it's all about the games.

(Maybe Sony learned that lesson after Vita)

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

All the VR companies are in this together right now but I noticed some of the people behind Oculus and Vive were impressed with how Sony managed VR on consoles.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Coolyfett

@biack_goku said:

All the VR companies are in this together right now but I noticed some of the people behind Oculus and Vive were impressed with how Sony managed VR on consoles.

It seems like an interesting medium, but its not a technology that stands on its on. They have a very long way to go. The headsets basically need to replace what the handheld games used to be. What they need is a wifi connection or ethernet port and give the headsets the ability to download games directly to the headset. The power can still come from a wall socket, because a battery would drain too fast. The other 2 headsets need gaming PCs to run. The industry needs these headsets to run the games on their own independent of PC or console. VR still has a long way to go.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@Coolyfett said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

The technology is still too expensive. PlayStation cant change the industry alone.....or maybe they can like Nintendo did with the NES. Righ now PSVR is still too expensive with not enough software.

Yes, it's still too expensive for mass adoption, but look at how much the prices have dropped since it's inception in early 2016. Back then, HMDs cost between $600-800 with $800 being the full package.

If you wanted a PC and a VR headset, you were looking at around $2000. Now, you can get PC VR headsets for as low as $200 up to $600. VR PCs can be built with $500-600. So a full buy-in price can be as low as $700-800. And for PSVR, it's now around $600 for the full buy-in price.

Also, as the tech improves, the price becomes more justified. VR is not just a new way to play games; it's also at the start of becoming a new computing platform. (alongside AR)

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Blueberry_Bandit

@Coolyfett said:
@biack_goku said:

It seems like an interesting medium, but its not a technology that stands on its on. They have a very long way to go. The headsets basically need to replace what the handheld games used to be. What they need is a wifi connection or ethernet port and give the headsets the ability to download games directly to the headset. The power can still come from a wall socket, because a battery would drain too fast. The other 2 headsets need gaming PCs to run. The industry needs these headsets to run the games on their own independent of PC or console. VR still has a long way to go.

Oculus is releasing a $200 standalone VR headset next year. The only hardware you need is the headset. No phone, no console, no PC. In 2019, Oculus are releasing a more revolutionary standalone headset which will be 6DoF and have 2 6DoF motion controllers. That makes it the same as high-end VR headsets, only that it will have less processing power to work with. It also means that world-scale VR becomes possible, where you can walk across the whole planet and have that mapped 1:1 in a virtual world.

Standalone VR is where VR is headed. To make up for lack of processing power, I'm sure future iterations will allow you to dock (Like Nintendo Switch) to your PC to get the same high-end experience as before.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Coolyfett

@blueberry_bandit said:
@Coolyfett said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Yes, it's still too expensive for mass adoption, but look at how much the prices have dropped since it's inception in early 2016. Back then, HMDs cost between $600-800 with $800 being the full package.

If you wanted a PC and a VR headset, you were looking at around $2000. Now, you can get PC VR headsets for as low as $200 up to $600. VR PCs can be built with $500-600. So a full buy-in price can be as low as $700-800. And for PSVR, it's now around $600 for the full buy-in price.

Also, as the tech improves, the price becomes more justified. VR is not just a new way to play games; it's also at the start of becoming a new computing platform. (alongside AR)

It still needs more time to grow. Prices also need to come down.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blueberry_Bandit

@Coolyfett said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@Coolyfett said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

It still needs more time to grow. Prices also need to come down.

Of course. This is the 1st generation of consumer VR. Technologies don't go mainstream until many generations down the line.

Prices will continue to drop while the tech will improve at a rapid pace.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

First off I have NEVER claimed to be an expert on VR or PSVR, an expert VR/PSVR shit stirrer you betta believe it.

I also never let anything slip, I release information that benefits me, and boy has that benefitted me, cows can't stop talking about it LOL.

Cows make this too easy for me :)

@knight-k said:
@i_p_daily said:

Dat butthurt, where's Xbone's VR? Oh right, after the failure of Kinect they're afraid to try something new.

And the only laughter that is appropriate, is for Xbone's abysymal sales.

Sells 35 million is a failure, Sony sells 2 million PSVR's and it's a success, that cow logic bro lol.

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Shewgenja said:

lol come on now.

If he was that big on racing games, he'd have been a PC gamer years ago.

Kinda reminds me of Finalstar. Obsessing over JRPGs, while actively avoiding systems with JRPGs.

For some people it's platform first, games second.

I will always be a console gamer, and PC gamers keep reminding me I've made the right choice, like you have just done thanks for that.

Platform first, games second? yeah I bought a console I knew would give me the best racing games. You can paint me as a fanboy and that's cool, but while you were painting you seemed to have get some on yourself :(

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@i_p_daily:

Wasn't Kinect $150 and bundled for a while with 360s?

Your butthurt lemming ass is comparing a piece of shit product like Kinect that's already dead to a $400-500 PSVR out of desperation. You know damn well that Kinect can't be compared to PSVR based on price alone. Kinect is dead for a reason because it didn't add value to gaming and people saw if for the fad it was by the time the Xbone came around. PSVR is alive and kicking because gamers are actually interested in it and it's selling.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@i_p_daily said:

First off I have NEVER claimed to be an expert on VR or PSVR, an expert VR/PSVR shit stirrer you betta believe it.

I also never let anything slip, I release information that benefits me, and boy has that benefitted me, cows can't stop talking about it LOL.

Cows make this too easy for me :)

--------->Obsesses about PSVR for a straight year, pretending to be an expert on it

--------->Lets it slip out that he has actually never used a PSVR in his life, or any other VR headset

--------->Backtracks, claiming he never "claimed" to be an expert on PSVR so that he can then say "well, show me the quote where I said that"

--------->Fails to disprove the fact that he has, in fact, been pretending to be an expert on PSVR for a straight year, though he has absolutely no knowledge/experience

--------->Continues to indirectly reply to me without pressing the reply button, indirectly quote me without pressing the quote button

--------->Continues to follow me into every thread I enter, or follows me once I get there, and into every thread I make, crying over the PSVR's success

--------->Is a legendarily asshurt fanboy.

I think that about covers it. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Who is this blueberry bandit? only ever seems to talk about VR/PSVR, smells like a cow alt, and we know there isn't many cows who love VR/PSVR, so he/she could only be an alt of only a handful of cows lol.

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

failing to crack mainstream and no real sony support ... i dont buy into anything that isnt a sony console because sony has proven time n time again it doesnt support its gimmicks

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Not much of a war to be honest you're looking at 700$ setups vs 1400$ setups.

Sony is just selling better because it's the cheapest to get into, apart from mobile platforms.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@commander said:

Not much of a war to be honest you're looking at 700$ setups vs 1400$ setups.

Sony is just selling better because it's the cheapest to get into, apart from mobile platforms.

You can buy-in for PC VR for around $900-950 (PC included), which is still more, but not as big of a difference as you think.