Is it even conceivable to design a Kinect title that interest core gamers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

I kind of noticed there are plenty of Xbox fans who support Microsoft direction of bundling Kinect with every console next gen.

All in the hopes of having developers somewhat encouraged to design titles that could potentially interest core gamers and not just families with kids.

For that I was wondering if anyone could envisage a scenario where Kinect addition to a game could be of interest to core gamers.

I noticed Microsoft themselves along with talented 3rd party partners couldn't make a case for it at E3 in that regard.

Which evidently led to the conclusion that they either didn't have a vision of its purpose and for what it was made while designing it, or it was intended by design to address casual games / TV remote scenarios only.

So what you say SW, can you envisage a scenario where it would be appealing to you?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
hahahahaahah No.
DenzelFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DenzelFreeman
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts
Plain and simple no. To true gamers it's about playing with a controller. Why do you think hardcore gamers don't play wii?
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59086 Posts

Microsoft don't care about quility. They just ripped off the wii with motion controls because it allowed anyone to waggle away at games 5 years and 90 years olds so it means more money.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

how long has Kinect been on the market? By now i think everyone knows the answer is no.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Well, like you said, bundling it with the Xbox One could be a good move by MS, as it can encourage developers to support it more this coming gen. Though, enthusiasm doesn't run very high when talking about the Kinect, or motion control in general for that matter, but hey, you never know. It seems to be huge step above the original, so that could give some the incentive to create. 

I guess it's sort of a "wait and see" situation here. 

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I bet it's possible, the problem is their First party absolutely blows.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Maybe combined with oculus rift, you can have a virtual reality game:cool:

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Yes, but it would have to be well implemented or the games would have to be designed "ground up" for it.

Some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60iE-ecLSp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFfMmQM3L-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHuSa4Xf45s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqzW367xlIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvHlwNvXaM

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mystery_Writer

Yes, but it would have to be well implemented or the games would have to be designed "ground up" for it.

Some examples:

nameless12345

People would've booed Microsoft if they showed those demos. 

Are you interested in playing games like that?

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

If you've ever played a simulation (flight, racing, military, etc) with voice commands, head-tracking, and gesture-control then you'll know that something like Kinect can have a purpose. Those setups can be pretty spendy on PC, so it's doubtful.

I'd love to see the extra level of immersion, and interaction, that could be brought to a title like Forza, and potentially other simulators, as well as other genres even. 

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts

If you've ever played a simulation (flight, racing, military, etc) with voice commands, head-tracking, and gesture-control then you'll know that something like Kinect can have a purpose. Those setups can be pretty spendy on PC, so it's doubtful.

I'd love to see the extra level of immersion, and interaction, that could be brought to a title like Forza, and potentially other simulators, as well as other genres even. 

Ly_the_Fairy
tumblr_m77bh4EplG1rwcc6bo1_500.gif
Grimmiers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grimmiers
Member since 2013 • 34 Posts
If they can remake this game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xl2KnETCLM
Grimmiers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grimmiers
Member since 2013 • 34 Posts

Ly_the_Fairy
Head tracking is awkward if you have to turn you're head away from the screen. I'd say it's ironic that the only game that would appeal to core gamers is one that is filled with hit or miss party games. I did beat Antigrav for the eyetoy and it was probably the only core motion control game I've enjoyed.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I kind of noticed there are plenty of Xbox fans who support Microsoft direction of bundling Kinect with every console next gen.

All in the hopes of having developers somewhat encouraged to design titles that could potentially interest core gamers and not just families with kids.

For that I was wondering if anyone could envisage a scenario where Kinect addition to a game could be of interest to core gamers.

I noticed Microsoft themselves along with talented 3rd party partners couldn't make a case for it at E3 in that regard.

Which evidently led to the conclusion that they either didn't have a vision of its purpose and for what it was made while designing it, or it was intended by design to address casual games / TV remote scenarios only.

So what you say SW, can you envisage a scenario where it would be appealing to you?

Mystery_Writer
Probably not. Most gamers on here are more hardcore and Kinect was built more for casual gamers. Only hardcore tech heads will appreciate Kinect more then hardcore gamers. I'm curious to see how much better Kinect Sports Rivals is over it's predecessors. Microsoft didn't announce many Kinect games though, so we'll see what they show in the future.
GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GravityX
Member since 2013 • 865 Posts
Rise of Nightmares was a good start. If I had developed that game I would have simply had you walk in place to move forward. And than simply used a torch or lantern in your left hand to look around and than use your right hand to attack. Yeah that sounds like too much going on.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i doubt it not counting things like making the spells in skyrim easier to use.

that was about the only decent thing i have ever seen it accomplish.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Child of Eden's Kinect controls were of SOME interest to core gamers.

Other than that, I don't know, maybe make. . .

Laser Harp Hero?

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Some examples:

Mystery_Writer

People would've booed Microsoft if they showed those demos. 

Are you interested in playing games like that?

I would be willing to try out a game using the Oculus + Kinect combo.

I think this combo could be great for first-person and simulation type games. (in combination with some traditional controllers like wheels, joysticks, lightguns, ect.)

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GravityX
Member since 2013 • 865 Posts
Maybe a game like a 3D Galaga where the ships or whatever are coming at you and you shot at them. You can strafe right and left.step forward to boost forward and step back to unboost . Maybe slap your hands together for a power attack. Maybe you could be a sorta flying super hero or something.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Vaasman  Online
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

Yes. Steel Battalion could have been amazing if they hadn't completely shit all over everything.

Like if the game used the controller to some degree.

....and the controls were way less obnoxious in general.

....and if they completely redid every aspect of the gameplay even outside the awful controls.

Then it could have been great.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

lol core gamers

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Children of Eden?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"]hahahahaahah No.

this.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

Maybe combined with oculus rift, you can have a virtual reality game:cool:

deeliman
This is true, but Microsoft should've focused on 3D gaming first and then brought Kinect into the picture. I would've much rathered the XBox One be bundled with an Oculus Rift than a Kinect and no 3D...
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

Children of Eden?

PsychoLemons
I've got it, but I've never tried it. All of the other Kinect games that I tried sucked, so I figured that this would be the same. How is it?
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

lol no Kinect is a piece of shit that will never be useful for gaming.

CrownedClownAg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CrownedClownAg
Member since 2013 • 54 Posts
I could see a survival horror game in the likes of Last of Us would benefit greatly from Kinect or the PSEye. Imagine having to craft your items by having to mimic the motions needed. If your arm, leg, or abs, is injured, then doing a wrapping motion around those areas. I think it is possible. And I am a Cow.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Ly_the_Fairy
Indeed.
deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

A game that uses kinect as it's primary controller..... no, or atleast extremely unlikely.

I think a game can be better with kinect though, NFS:MW and ME3's kinect functions were good time savers.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vaasman  Online
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

[QUOTE="PsychoLemons"]

Children of Eden?

superclocked

I've got it, but I've never tried it. All of the other Kinect games that I tried sucked, so I figured that this would be the same. How is it?

Child of Eden is extremely short, but it's fun and has some really great sound and visual design. I wouldn't say it makes a great case for hardcore games using kinect though. The game is, in my opinion, still better with a standard controller.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

For ANY one with any kind of imagination the obvious answer is YES but Cows are just like Sony they have zero imagination left that is why they lack any originality. All I have been hearing from Cows moos is that they HATE change and that change is terrible for this industry. That is why the Cows won't ever try something different and always have to criticize anyone that does try something different. That is why the PlayStation has used basically the same exact controller since PS1. That is why the PS service has always been a step behind Xbox Live sitting back and copying what MS does. Cows and Sony are stuck in the past.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

i doubt it not counting things like making the spells in skyrim easier to use.

that was about the only decent thing i have ever seen it accomplish.

Riverwolf007
You can use a regular mnic for that, just like in End War..lol http://www.gamesradar.com/tom-clancys-endwar/videos/tom-clancys-endwar-voice-command/
CrownedClownAg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CrownedClownAg
Member since 2013 • 54 Posts
Binary Domain on the PS3 /X360 used a regular mic for game controls. I used it on PS3 and got some great squad commands as well as Mass Effect style dialogue choices. It was great to yell stop or move forward and the squar obeyed without having to use a d pad.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

For ANY one with any kind of imagination the obvious answer is YES but Cows are just like Sony they have zero imagination left that is why they lack any originality. All I have been hearing from Cows moos is that they HATE change and that change is terrible for this industry. That is why the Cows won't ever try something different and always have to criticize anyone that does try something different. That is why the PlayStation has used basically the same exact controller since PS1. That is why the PS service has always been a step behind Xbox Live sitting back and copying what MS does. Cows and Sony are stuck in the past.

EG101
Actuly the only people who praise Kinect other than Oprah loving Soccer Moms are System Wars Lems because saying otherwise will make them look bad in arguements with their Cow rivals. But go to the Official Xbox website and you will see that most Xbox gamers can't stand the idea of Kinect. And using the copy arguement is very lame and really shows your ignorance. I mean couldn't you also say Microsoft ripped Kinect off both the Wii and EyeToy who ripped their idea off the very first motion device called "Le Stick" for the Atari 2600 and Commadore 64? I guess Microsoft also ripped their controller layout off the Duelshock with the major difference being the use of letters instead of shapes. I guess we could say that Micrisift ripped off the idea of Online Console Multiplayer from the Dreamcast. And if that is the case, Nintendo ripped the Original NES D-Pad from the Intellevision as well as the use of cartridges. Those unoriginal bastards. Microsoft just better keep Blu-Ray off the X1 and remove HDMI and built in Wifi from the 360. Those bastards are copying the PS3. Can you be any more lame?
PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

[QUOTE="PsychoLemons"]

Children of Eden?

superclocked

Lol, it's Child of Eden not Children, I do you a habit of saying Children over Child.

Anyways, like the previous user said, it is short but a fun game with all the colours and rhythm.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Sure, the developers just have to not put the focus on the flaming kinect. Use it for head tracking in a shooter (ala ArmA 2) or a vehicle based game, or try and do Steel Battalion well. Or just embrace the dumb idiocy of the thing and make stuff like Happy Action Theatre.
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mystery_Writer

I could see a survival horror game in the likes of Last of Us would benefit greatly from Kinect or the PSEye. Imagine having to craft your items by having to mimic the motions needed. If your arm, leg, or abs, is injured, then doing a wrapping motion around those areas. I think it is possible. And I am a Cow.CrownedClownAg

I'm sorry, but to be honest everyone seems to keep coming up with silly ideas for using it in this thread, but when push come to shove and a Kinect game forces them to flail their hands to wrap wounds, or do whatever unnecessary motion they think its cool before trying it, they will most probably be the first to call it an utterly silly and unnecessary gimmick.

Someone just posted a video of a person running on the spot in front of Kinect to register running in Mirror's Edge while holding the controller in one hand to steer.

Believe it or not, the guy who posted that video seemed genuinely convinced that he was presenting Kinect in good light (the gist of his post was like 'there you go, check out those videos that will totally make the case for it')

What I gathered from that is MS themselves unfortunately share the same traits as many here, they seem to lack the right vision to discern what does and doesn't make sense.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

It's true that most Kinect games on the 360 are for the casual player, I only tried a few that barely held my interest, but there were a few others that got great reviews that I didn't get a chance to play, but if memory serves me right none of those were really aimed at the core player. I enojyed the voice integration more than anything and I liked what they did with Mass Effect 3(voice command integration in every cutscene) and to a lesser degree in the last 2 Forza games.

I definitely think they could make a very good kinect-heavy game targeted at the core audience, one which would have a good balance between contoller-voice-gesture(and not just gesture-based) commands, and with the X1 we will likely see a game like this since everyone will have a Kinect 2.0, which will make it much easier for a developper to integrate it in their games.

ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 ShadowofSonic
Member since 2009 • 24616 Posts
NOE.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

No

/thread

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Kinect came out in 2010. If they havent been able to come up with a kinect specific title by now I doubt they ever will.

pcgamingowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pcgamingowns
Member since 2013 • 1223 Posts

dont confuse true core gamers with brocasuals who are slightly more core than straight up casuals.

The awnser will be F*ck no!!!!!!!!!!!!!kinect can go to hell in a handbasket.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

dont confuse true core gamers with brocasuals who are slightly more core than straight up casuals.

The awnser will be F*ck no!!!!!!!!!!!!!kinect can go to hell in a handbasket.

pcgamingowns

Wow, people have stooped to adding spectrums of casualness/coreness. :lol:

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Some examples:

nameless12345
God no, just fnck no dude. I stopped watching every video pretty much instantly. Why? Because it is using kinect instead of a normal controller. No core gamer is going to want to jump around a room or waving their arms everywhere to do shit you can do with a simple flick of a stick or press of a button. Kinect sucks ass and there is just no way around that. Same goes for Sony's shitty ass move.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#47 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
With respect to perhaps a good strategy game, maybe. Or an actually decent Star Wars/Ninja game (or something similar). Outside of that, I see to many limitations in input or it's just too silly to make a full blown game with "pretend" style notions.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Some examples:

AmazonTreeBoa
God no, just fnck no dude. I stopped watching every video pretty much instantly. Why? Because it is using kinect instead of a normal controller. No core gamer is going to want to jump around a room or waving their arms everywhere to do shit you can do with a simple flick of a stick or press of a button. Kinect sucks ass and there is just no way around that. Same goes for Sony's shitty ass move.

Hey, i agree with everything you said except about Move. Move has proven itself to work great with core games like First Person Shooters and sports games like Golf and tennis. Kinect is crap, but Move actually works. But both suffer from lack of support. I am really looking forward to Move games on the PS4.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Some examples:

AmazonTreeBoa

Well something like this is the wet dreams of every hardcore Arma player.

In general, simulation enthusiasts have been using things like head trackers, simulator chairs, VR helmets and motion-controllers for a while now.

Kinect and Oculus (and even Wiimote) are steps closer to "proper" VR so they deserve some applause for this.

But of course these devices should be optional rather than "showed down the throat".