Is Halo franchise overrated, underrated, or just right?

• 66 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Halo franchise overrated, underrated, or just right? (73 votes)

Overrated 40%
Underrated 15%
Just right 45%

I was never a huge Halo fan, even back in the day when it first came out. I feel like it got a lot of credit because it was the first major FPS on console, and because it was an exclusive at the time (I believe). I tried getting into the games, but it never really stuck with me. Halo 5 is the only campaign I finished, and I did enjoy the multiplayer. I recently picked up Halo MCC for PC. I'm hoping I can see what was so great about this franchise. But for now, I think it's a little overrated. What say you, SW? Is Halo franchise overrated, underrated, or just right?

• 
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#51 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25231 Posts

@jg4xchamp: It's almost like you're the only one here who've actually played Halo.

You do reviews? You probably should..

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 168401 Posts

Overrated. I mean it's an okay series but it gets way too much praise.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 9914 Posts

It's still the best FPS franchise out there from a single player campaign standpoint. It also has great multiplayer. I would say it used to be the most overrated franchise out there, but now it is very underrated.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#54 Star67
Member since 2005 • 4557 Posts

I think Halo was of its time good.

Much like the Quakes, Unreal tournaments, and Socoms of the past.

Now we have COD and Fortnite

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 3998 Posts

Still my favorite franchise to this day. Hasn’t been relevant in years, but I’ll always look back fondly on those games.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 14378 Posts

I'm not a fan of the FPS genre as a whole, so Halo does nothing for me.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 186 Posts

Underrated, it defined FPS and open leveled games.

As a series it is flawless and has magic and love poured into it. Other game series will milk their fans where as halo fans milk it.

Just because loud edgelords dislike it... people think it is viewed as overrated when the silent majority loves it...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3470 Posts

I think the older games are overrated, and the newer ones are underrated. Sooo put those together and I guess that adds up to Just Right?

To be clear, series is great, but the hype surrounding the first three was just unreal.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#59  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5456 Posts

I've always loved Halo and it was basically the game that first got me into fps games as a genre. For their time, at least Halo 1 and 2 were phenomenal. They introduced new elements to the genre and took advantage of the hardware that was available at the era.

Gameplay-wise, they've always been pretty basic. Run, jump, shoot, frag, swap weapons, melee. The vehicles really added to the selling point because at that time, fps games were mostly just running shooting galleries. But Halo changed the war game when Bungie designed the levels as these giant sanboxes where you can go anywhere, interact with everything and just have fun.

The enemies had variety. The AI had distinct behavior for every enemy type. Each enemy type would adapt to the situation they were in. They knew when shit hit the fan, and when to hold their ground. Sometimes you'd even see Covenant fighting off the flood, which was pretty interesting to see.

*Grunts ran away everytime you killed an Elite in front of them. They were nimble but cowardly.

*Jackels relied on shields that they carried while they had a plasma pistol or needler with the other hand.

*Elites were strong and brave under fire. Their shields were ridiculously strong and they were tough to kill.

*Hunters were basically tanks that would bombard you with their cannons. It was intimidating at first but they had a weakness in the back.

*Flood were horrific to fight. Suddenly all the dead bodies around you would become zombified by creepy, little jelly spores. And worst of all they always attacked in hordes.

-The AI combined with brilliant enemy placement made the Covenant and Flood a joy to fight. Enemies would spawn in strategic points and unique formations that took advantage of each enemy type's strength. And the sandbox levels always gave us endless possibilities for how to approach a situation. It all made Halo the perfect war game.

Then you add the fascinating storyline that puts you in the role of a lone super soldier locked in an almost never-ending battle with aliens that are threatening to wipe out the human race. It painted you, the player, as a hero. Everywhere you went, marines greeted you with the high respect and honor. And rightfully so, Master Chief IS a war hero, even before the game even begins. And that confidence kinda carries you through the journey as you see all the chaos and destruction and plasma fire and dozens of dead bodies of fellow soldiers.

Halo 2 gave you the neat idea of carrying 2 guns at the same time. Which felt cool at first but then you realize that in doing so, they made the damage guns actually do reduced by half. By Halo 3, the industry already made more strides in the fps genre and Halo was getting kinda.....stale. More of the same guns with the same enemies. The only real appeal was that it was bringing everything Halo 2 had into HD graphics. That and of course, it was about "finishing the fight." (Story continues) By the time H3 came out, we already had fps games out that played better. And Call of Duty was catching up big time.

I personally think Reach was the highest point of the series. It went more into the roots of what made Halo good and added a robust character customization that had little armor pieces and whatnot that you can buy with videogame money. It always had me coming back for more. There was always some I wanted to save up for or a cool helmet I wanted to get. Campaign was also pretty cool. A bit lackluster in the character development department though. I felt like the Spartans could've had a bit more personality. But then again, personality wasn't something Master Chief was known for either.

Halo 4 had a magnificent campaign. But it felt like it played it too safe in terms of innovation. The Prometheans were basically a lame, robot version of the Flood. The story also went off the rails a bit when they decided to add emotions to Cortana and.......SPARTAN IVs.......*shivers *.......😨😧 I did love the under-the-helmet view 343 added to the HUD though. Very Metriod-Primey!

Then Halo 5 went REALLY OFF THE RAILS. Story was nothing short of a travesty. It just broke everything that Halo lore created and screwed up whatever logic it had. Though it was interesting to see the campaign through a Spartan IV's eyes. It really showed how different they were from Master Chief and the IIs. What Locke felt like felt.....alien. From the HUD, the inside of the helmet to his armor. Locke didn't look or feel like a Spartan. But I still somewhat enjoyed him. I just really, really wish they didn't try so hard to shove Locke down our throats.

So it wasn't "reality" that finally hit fans that brought Halo down its pedestal. It was Bungie's abandonment of the series. Had they stuck with it, Halo wouldn't have taken the route it took with 4 and 5 and its evolution (though slower) would've come gradually. For those who took the time to get to really know Halo, it is worth the praise. And its story still one of the best stories ever told in videogame history.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37548 Posts

Remember after all the praise and hype the PC port eventually hitting and having played through it for the first time thinking, "this is what people were praising?", I mean, it wasn't bad, but I had come off a diet of Halflife, Quake, Rainbow Six, Delta Force and a whole bunch of stuff.

It was at that point I realized consoles, and console based media, had lower standards when it comes to the genre, like cavemen discovering fire, dancing round in praise of the gods, while PC gamers had been using hob cookers for at least 100 years.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#61 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2317 Posts

I put just right. Though, I've only ever finished Halo: CE & loved it.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#62 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 2880 Posts

Halo 1-3 were amazing. From ODST on, I wasn't a fan of. Reach was a good game, not on the level of 1-3 but good and 4 and 5 were both huge letdowns. I probably won't invest anymore time in the series, so at this point I'd say overrated, but the original 3 were amazing games which deserved their hype.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts

I would say it is rated just about right.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 440 Posts

I only played the first one it's one of the most boring fps experiences I've ever had do to really bad level design. I straight up quit during the infamous library, didnt have it in me to power through the rest of the game. From what I've seen the games main defense is that it was good for a "console fps" at the time. Compared to the best PC fps games out at the time, its complete crap and not worth playing, at least not the campaign.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1316 Posts

Played the first two on pc, and was like wt**** with all that hype???

Never touched after, wasn't worth it!!!

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2057 Posts

For it's time, Halo CE was incredible. The recharging shields, dedicated button for throwing grenades, enemy AI on higher difficulties and thrill of objective based gametypes when playing split screen or through LAN was simply top notch for the era. It's a game worthy of all it's accolades and as an FPS, I put it in the same level of importance as DOOM, Half Life and GoldenEye.

*Edit.

And Halo 2's MP was the bees knees in 2004, raising the console MP bar.