Is gen8 mugging us with rehashed gen7 titles??

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Do you feel it's worth the money to purchase a game you have already played for the sake of better graphics, and a few extra frame rates.

Does it really cost the same amount of money to turn a gen7 game into a gen8 game as it costed to develop the game from the ground up? If not then they should not charge full price.

Also I can't remember gen7 doing this with gen6 titles.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

do i feel it's worth it? really that's subjective. in another thread a system warrior was totally wrong about something - they assumed that the price factors into a review score. this is not the case (metal gear solid ground zeroes). so each person will have to choose.

does it cost the same to port it? no it wouldn't, it would have to cost less. and they can charge whatever they want to, you can choose whether or not it's worth paying what they're asking. eg: planetary annihilation used to be 99 90 but in the steam sale it went down to 17 - at which point they took my money.

yeah it seems they're really trying it on thick these days.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

do i feel it's worth it? really that's subjective. in another thread a system warrior was totally wrong about something - they assumed that the price factors into a review score. this is not the case (metal gear solid ground zeroes). so each person will have to choose.

does it cost the same to port it? no it wouldn't, it would have to cost less. and they can charge whatever they want to, you can choose whether or not it's worth paying what they're asking. eg: planetary annihilation used to be 99 but in the steam sale it went down to 17 - at which point they took my money.

yeah it seems they're really trying it on thick these days.

PA that game steam keeps featuring off under the early access section was $99? Wtf.

Anyway on topic this is part of the reason I'm making the switch to PC.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#4 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

It's prevalent this gen because the consoles launched without backward compatibility.

Combined with delays of actual next gen games, people with such consoles may have nothing to play. So a quick rehash to offer a game a consumer might have missed seems like a good opportunity for publishers.

I think it's gonna blow over once new games start to release at the end of the year and onwards.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Honestly would depend on the game, the price, and how exactly it was improved (if at all)

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CrownKingArthur

@inb4uall: ouch apparently upon researching my memory was incorrect by around 10%. it was actually 90 dollars.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/planetary-annihilation-alpha-access-costs-more-than-the-full-game/

welcome to the club. yes on pc when you upgrade your gpu - every game becomes an even more hd remake

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

yep it does

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I think its pretty poor practise. I imagine its a quick fix to bridge the gap on two consoles that launched firstly without backwards compatibility and secondly because there have been very few games released on either consoles due to their relative youthful age.

Although I am generally against this current trend I will certainly be purchasing the master chief collection, as a Halo fan I feel it offers a great deal of content for the current price point. I will never "double dip" for a graphical upgrade....If i buy a game I have already bought/played I expect there to be a substantial amount of additional content.

That being said I appreciate there are gamers who may not have played the original version and may appreciate the option of playing those games on current gen systems. Personally I am not one of those so perhaps that makes me biased. Either way I dont think gamers should be paying a premium price for something which is X amount of years old. I do think releasing a game like TLOU remastered so soon after initial release is a bit silly,however if the sales figures hit the roof I will be proven to be in the minority. It would be interesting to know how many people purchase TLOU remaster to bridge the gap due to lack of games and how many purchase it simply because of the slight graphical enhancement.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

@inb4uall: ouch apparently upon researching my memory was incorrect by around 10%. it was actually 90 dollars.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/planetary-annihilation-alpha-access-costs-more-than-the-full-game/

welcome to the club. yes on pc when you upgrade your gpu - every game becomes an even more hd remake

Thats still insane. Is there just a crazy amount of content? How do you justify a $90 price tag. It's not an OS or something like that....

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

Pretty much. from what i have seen "next" generation is basically remaster of last gen.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

It is an easy way to make money. The thing about these rereleases, if you don't buy them then the companies will stop making them.

For games like GTA V (a game that made(literally) a billion dollars) it is being re-released because gamers and the media asked about it and for it from the time the game was released till Rockstar announced it at E3.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

Remastering last gen games are unnecessary. Especially since the graphics this gen aren't quite the huge leap. Remastering Halo last gen was worth it because of the tech difference between the Xbox and Xbox 360 and Halo 2 this gen, but the others not so much.

The Last of Us remaster is way too soon though, especially since the game came out at the end of the PS3s life so it is getting the best out of the hardware. I think they should make an expansion or a new one. It also seems like they're using it as a filler title, and I think it's worth more than that treatment.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Remastering last gen games are unnecessary.

even better you can download Mod for free on PC.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46169 Posts

I really hope TLOU: Remastered flops. Not because I hate TLOU, it's an amazing game.

But because if it becomes popular and asking 50 dollars for a resolution increase of one game becomes a trend, then we'll be in for a treat this gen...

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

@lostrib said:

Honestly would depend on the game, the price, and how exactly it was improved (if at all)

After 30k+ posts, does it ever cross your mind to NOT share your uncommitted opinion on ANYTHING, or do you really love your own voice that much?

You managed to reply in a way that added less than fuckall because, not only did your reply offer nothing, it also provided nothing for others to contribute to either.

It did, however, give you your sought after +1 to your total posts.

FFS.

Lol at this thread's question.

In short, yes.

Water is also wet.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I think that if you buy a game and then you get new hardware, the game should be playable on it at higher settings like the PC.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

A big yes

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Initially? Yes.

..just look at it as "filler" until the heavy hitters start coming.

The bottom line is.. Sony either a) released the PS4 a year before it was ready. or b) released their exclusives too soon. i.e.. not spacing them out for the first year.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

I don't mind these rereleases, because to be honest I find they do really benefit from them. Both TLoU and GTA V's framerate were atrocious at times and detracted from the experience. Maybe many consolites don't notice this, but as a PC gamer myself, both of those games noticably slogged heavily. Once you play 60, it's hard to go back. These games were too ambitious for the hardware they were created on and it'll be wonderful to play them when they're not struggling to maintain 20 FPS (and will look better in addition).

I suppose I could be the one that is blamed for buying these twice, but in the end, what am I supporting? Good games. And it's not like this will become another greedy corporate practice we'll have to always endure alongside MTs and DLC. New generations occur every 6+ years and this thing people so fear will become the norm is only enabled for a short period when the new gen starts. So companies are taking the opportunity to not only make their games available to those who've not had the chance to experience them yet, but are also improving them in relevant areas while at the same time recouping costs of their $200 million investments. Heaven forbid.

"Those money grubbing bastards!! They only care about a quick cash-grab!"

Do you people even think before you whine? I've no problem with it whatsoever. I just wish they'd give RDR the same treatment, this sucker's ready to part with his money for a rerelease. That game's framerate almost ruined it.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrownKingArthur

@inb4uall: no not a crazy amount of content, in fact very little (although I'm not sure what 90 bucks got them "90 buck" folk).

i think it was part and parcel of the model they're using to fund the game. elite dangerous seems to be doing a similar thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Oh how people are so quick to forget simple facts to take into consideration.

1) not everyone played those games.

2) most of them have an upgrade deal

3) 360/ps3 had barely any games for 2 years either. (because consoles are inconsistent wastes of money.)

4) You had no way to play fantastic games in hd/60fps ..

so yes, the price depends on situation, not a fixed answer. its not like doing these remasters prevents them making actual new games. people over exagurate everything here.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@ariabed said:

Do you feel it's worth the money to purchase a game you have already played for the sake of better graphics, and a few extra frame rates.

Does it really cost the same amount of money to turn a gen7 game into a gen8 game as it costed to develop the game from the ground up? If not then they should not charge full price.

People you should stop crying about it ... period.

What i mean is what if those games DIDNT get a release into next-gen. How on earth that affect you in any way assuming all those companies didnt release all those rehashes ?

You dont like em , you finished them already ...you find them BAD ... whatever it is ... DONT buy them. The outcome is the same for you that dont like those rehashes. So stop being so selfish and let other people that want em , have them on their new console. And problem solved.

All this drama and cries for actually .. no reason for the ones that dont like to play rehashes.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

Thats still insane. Is there just a crazy amount of content? How do you justify a $90 price tag. It's not an OS or something like that....

All major games have been doing it for years. They sell the game in pieces, so the effect of high price is reduced, it's called DLC.

Removing parts from your $60 game to sell them for $15 each. It actually comes to $120 for some games.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@Dasein808 said:

@lostrib said:

After 30k+ posts, does it ever cross your mind to NOT share your uncommitted opinion on ANYTHING, or do you really love your own voice that much?

You managed to reply in a way that added less than fuckall because, not only did your reply offer nothing, it also provided nothing for others to contribute to either.

FFS.

Complains someone didn't add anything to the discussion...goes on to add nothing to the discussion.

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

The problem is there is no "next-gen" Unless parts equivalent to 4-5 year old pc parts is "next-gen"

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Its not mugging if you handover the money before the threat was even made. The economy must be good because this sh!t always works.

PC Gamers on the other hand don't have this problem :), 100% Backwards Compatibilty plus mods !

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dasein808

@jake44 said:

Complains someone didn't add anything to the discussion...goes on to add nothing to the discussion.

Interesting selective edit.

What are you adding, btw?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@jake44 said:

@Dasein808 said:

@lostrib said:

FFS.

the funny thing is... lostrib's comment was completely true. it does depend on the game, and if you played the previous one.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#29 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Of course it doesn't cost that much to port a game from last gen, they bump the internal resolution, add the dlc packs and do a few tweaks. Would take a small team of 10 people a few months to implement and test.

The reason there is so many rehashes, and more on the way, is because new games take even longer to make in GEN 8 and they need a source of income to supplement it. People are also very accepting of the rehashes and have been buying them in strong numbers to a) promote other devs to do the same and b) justify to the publishers that they can survive on remakes and not other titles. Fact is, all they seem to need is a few big name franchises and they can milk it like there is no tomorrow.
Stop buying them, stop supporting them and discourage your friends from buying them. It is an unexpected trend that is possibly the worst thing to happen to gaming since DLC.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Publishers originally bet against Gen 8 taking off because the WiiU had struggled so much and the assumption was that mobile phones and tablets were taking over the US market and European markets the way that Japan has fallen. As a result, even the big wigs at Sony made GT6 a Gen7 title as well as the likes of Demons Souls 2 and GTAV.

Long story short, no one wanted to invest the kind of money into making a lot of Gen8 centric titles if it was a big gamble. Now they are scrambling to put stuff on the shelves because they were in error.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Yes.

But as long as people keep buying them they'll keep making them.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#32 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Mugging implies they're forcing us to buy them, which they're not.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

I think its worth it if it includes DLC, like Diablo 3 or TLOU that I haven't played.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shewgenja

You can bet good money that the rehash-itis will come to an end at next year's E3. It's way more profitable for publishers to come up with new IP at the start of a generation so that way they can Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed you.

I know it sounds crazy, but the publishers were just not ready to green light a whole lot of Gen 8 projects from the ground up. They know that it will be at least a year and a half before they catch up so, in the meantime, enjoy your Gen 7 ports. It is what it is.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@Dasein808 said:

@jake44 said:

Interesting selective edit.

What are you adding, btw?

What did I edit? That was your original post before you edited it. On topic, personally, I don't feel buying the updated game is worth purchase a lot of the time. However, it doesn't bother me if they release an upgraded version of a game because it doesn't hurt anyone. As for charging full price, I don't feel that's right unless they really made very noticeable changes...even still I think the $30-$40 range is a better fit.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shewgenja

Also, there was no easy way to port Gen6 to Gen7 because the textures would look like complete ass on an HDTV. You had to go back to your devkits with original scaled textures and almost redo your entire engine code in the process. It wasn't quite as bad as starting a brand new game but it wasn't quite as accessible as going from Gen7 to Gen 8 where you can, more or less, use the same art assets.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

It's an option. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple. Move on with your life.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#38  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Dasein808 said:

@lostrib said:

FFS.

In short, yes.

Water is also wet.

How in the world did lostrib's perfectly fair (and benign) post provoke all this crazy butthurt? WTF?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lostrib

@Dasein808 said:

@lostrib said:

FFS.

In short, yes.

Water is also wet.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Sony, taking care of xbots.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

I would not pay 60 dollars for a version of a game that already came out a year ago just for a resolution upgrade.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dasein808
@lostrib said:

You have 30k+ posts on a subforum of a piss poor gaming website.

I also expect that every one of those posts were quality and not the typical single line snarky gutter sniping that I've already seen you post repeatedly in my brief time here.

I owed you a snipe, now stfu and slink back into your gutter.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lostrib

@Dasein808 said:
@lostrib said:

You have 30k+ posts on a subforum of a piss poor gaming website.

I also expect that every one of those posts were quality and not the typical single line snarky gutter sniping that I've already seen you post repeatedly in my brief time here.

I owed you a snipe, now stfu and slink back into your gutter.

Lol, I made a perfectly reasonable post. un-bunch your panties

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Why put backwards compatibility with upscaling into their console hardware when they can re-release last-gen games for $50 and people will pay it?

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CrownKingArthur
@foxhound_fox said:

Why put backwards compatibility with upscaling into their console hardware when they can re-release last-gen games for $50 and people will pay it?

yes. that's exactly right.

that gets me thinking, why make games at 60 fps when you can make them at 30 fps, then hd remake them later?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@foxhound_fox

and Thats a nightmare for those of us who actually have the spine to not encourage such things. :(

Me am Sad.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@ariabed said:

Don't buy them then. Eventually more and more titles like the upcoming Batman will release. Publishers are just saving money throwing out remasters as as the install bases grow (Metro Redux, Tomb Raider, Zelda Wind Waker HD, The Last of Us remastered, The Master Chief Collection, etc).

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@lostrib said:

this^

in a case like tomb raider or TLOU where it is a year old game that just released last gen exactly the same but with upgraded graphics, its IMO a huge cash grab and not something I'm going to buy. If its a huge collection like halo:mcc with 4 games 4 multiplayers with 100+ maps total then yes its a ton of content for 60 bucks and well worth it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

mbirdy, cranler and shielder

For some reason, I always mix them up.