Is exclusivity the biggest threat to VR?

  • 74 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

36051

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 36051 Posts

It seems to me like the biggest downside to owning a VR set is not being able to play all the VR titles.

Even third party ones:

  • Medal of Honor Above And Beyond (GOTY 2020) was announced as being Oculus Rift exclusive
  • Hitman 1-2-3 have been announced as PSVR exclusive

Buying the right VR set seems like an impossible task.

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
getyeryayasout

13256

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13256 Posts

Exclusivity is actually the 3rd biggest threat, with stairs and open windows coming in at 1st and 2nd respectively.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

36051

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 36051 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

Exclusivity is actually the 3rd biggest threat, with stairs and open windows coming in at 1st and 2nd respectively.

You mean people are so fed up with this situation that they throw their VR sets out of open windows?

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

10433

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 10433 Posts

RE7 VR is still PSVR only.

Avatar image for Macutchi
Macutchi

7536

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 7536 Posts

it isn't helping.

i'm guessing you've got, relative to regular games, a v small userbase. so there's less incentive for game studios to design a game specifically for vr from an economic standpoint. plus, i bet, it's much more difficult. so in most cases the best you can hope for is a vr version of a standard title, but is it really worth the time and effort.

to make it worth the time and effort you've got a ruthless megacorp like facebook, clearly in the monopoly business, with bucket loads of cash who will fund these vr versions but with the catch being they're exclusive to oculus. similarly sony too, but with less to throw at it. so yeah, it's probably a tricky situation for someone trying to figure out which headset to go with based on exclusives.

one of the biggest challenges is wearables being such a notoriously tough tech market to crack. having to fasten something to your head that covers your eyes in order to play is a real barrier to entry

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

29233

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 29233 Posts

I'd be curious to check out PSVR 2 when it comes out. I already have a PS5, so the barrier to entry is smaller. I also trust Sony to push the medium further than Valve will. Valve made one game and who knows how long until they release another. They haven't been making games in general for a while now.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

36051

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 36051 Posts

@Macutchi said:

it isn't helping.

i'm guessing you've got, relative to regular games, a v small userbase. so there's less incentive for game studios to design a game specifically for vr from an economic standpoint. plus, i bet, it's much more difficult. so in most cases the best you can hope for is a vr version of a standard title, but is it really worth the time and effort.

to make it worth the time and effort you've got a ruthless megacorp like facebook, clearly in the monopoly business, with bucket loads of cash who will fund these vr versions but with the catch being they're exclusive to oculus. similarly sony too, but with less to throw at it. so yeah, it's probably a tricky situation for someone trying to figure out which headset to go with based on exclusives.

one of the biggest challenges is wearables being such a notoriously tough tech market to crack. having to fasten something to your head that covers your eyes in order to play is a real barrier to entry

Yes, I mean I really wonder how much Half Life Alyx sold comparative to Half Life 2, which released on some of the biggest platforms (PC, consoles).

Valve is a third party developer who made one of the arguably highest budget and biggest VR games, for a relatively niche playerbase.

Is there incentive for others to do the same?

Would IO have made this VR game without backing from Sony?

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

36051

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 36051 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I'd be curious to check out PSVR 2 when it comes out. I already have a PS5, so the barrier to entry is smaller. I also trust Sony to push the medium further than Valve will. Valve made one game and who knows how long until they release another. They haven't been making games in general for a while now.

What's PSVR 2? I've never heard of such a thing.

Is it a VR set that's exclusive to PS5? or does it work with older consoles too?

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

10433

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#9 sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 10433 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: there is patent leaks of PSVR2 and with index like controller with haptic feedback. I shared once regarding both of these I think, at least I remember posting about the new controller.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

49008

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49008 Posts

Yes, exclusivity is downright anti-consumer, and probably not great for innovation either as it stifles competition. It's as great an offense to gaming and consumers as caging a wild lion is to animals and animal right's activists; it's wrong, corrupt, and unnecessary.

The Suits are getting their research and market data back and they finally see VR for what it is: the next frontier of gaming, and now they're making business-minded decisions about not only getting a piece of the pie, but making sure no one else does. Case in point: Facebook essentially taking their products as exclusive-only.

Thankfully we still have folks like Valve that do the opposite and make sure just about any and all VR headsets--not just their own--work with Steam VR and whatever games they might develop (i.e. Alyx).

But yeah, it's not looking good for the future; I fully expect any hyped or good looking VR games to be snatched up by Sony or Facebook as exclusives. Which sucks because VR is really starting to find it's home in gaming, it should be free to expand where the market naturally wants it to go.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

49008

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49008 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Macutchi said:

it isn't helping.

i'm guessing you've got, relative to regular games, a v small userbase. so there's less incentive for game studios to design a game specifically for vr from an economic standpoint. plus, i bet, it's much more difficult. so in most cases the best you can hope for is a vr version of a standard title, but is it really worth the time and effort.

to make it worth the time and effort you've got a ruthless megacorp like facebook, clearly in the monopoly business, with bucket loads of cash who will fund these vr versions but with the catch being they're exclusive to oculus. similarly sony too, but with less to throw at it. so yeah, it's probably a tricky situation for someone trying to figure out which headset to go with based on exclusives.

one of the biggest challenges is wearables being such a notoriously tough tech market to crack. having to fasten something to your head that covers your eyes in order to play is a real barrier to entry

Yes, I mean I really wonder how much Half Life Alyx sold comparative to Half Life 2, which released on some of the biggest platforms (PC, consoles).

Valve is a third party developer who made one of the arguably highest budget and biggest VR games, for a relatively niche playerbase.

Is there incentive for others to do the same?

Would IO have made this VR game without backing from Sony?

Totally an assumption on my part, but I reckon IO was dabbling with VR in general for Hitman before Sony got a whiff of it. They go and check it out--I am sure IO has folks from Sony, MS, and so on stopping by to see what they're up to--and Sony is like "Hey, this will sell a lot of VR headsets. But it will sell even MORE if we are the only platform it's on" and then they throw a bunch of money at IO to keep it an exclusive.

And IO, being a developer, is not going to say "no" to a guaranteed source of income, given how fickle and unforgiving the game development industry is.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

6634

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6634 Posts

Yes, but also Facebook by keeping their headsets locked behind their data mining site.I rather have Microsoft buy out Oculus at this point. It sucks that quest has no real competition when it comes to good affordable wireless headsets.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

36051

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 36051 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Totally an assumption on my part, but I reckon IO was dabbling with VR in general for Hitman before Sony got a whiff of it. They go and check it out--I am sure IO has folks from Sony, MS, and so on stopping by to see what they're up to--and Sony is like "Hey, this will sell a lot of VR headsets. But it will sell even MORE if we are the only platform it's on" and then they throw a bunch of money at IO to keep it an exclusive.

And IO, being a developer, is not going to say "no" to a guaranteed source of income, given how fickle and unforgiving the game development industry is.

Yup, IO is a AA developer (one of the last few), so for sure they will have talks with huge publishers (Sony, MS) a lot of the time.

They went independent after being let go by Square Enix, so I'm sure they'll be pitching all kinds of ideas around.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

49008

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49008 Posts

@warmblur said:

Yes, but also Facebook by keeping their headsets locked behind their data mining site.I rather have Microsoft buy out Oculus at this point. It sucks that quest has no real competition when it comes to good affordable wireless headsets.

I'm hoping in the next few years, as VR gains ground, we will see more options. More good options, especially, that offer good performance and modest prices. Might even see some "craft" or "artisan" VR manufacturers, i.e. Pimax (not the best example, but they're independent last time I checked).

I think as the high-end stuff goes into new territory (wireless, hand tracking/controller-free, no tracking stations, etc) the mid-range options will become more affordable. Like building a PC rig, there will be modest entries that are more than up to the task of VR gaming for people that don't want t o spend more than 400 dollars.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

29233

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 29233 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@R4gn4r0k: there is patent leaks of PSVR2 and with index like controller with haptic feedback. I shared once regarding both of these I think, at least I remember posting about the new controller.

Yea, it hasn't been announced yet, but I don't think Sony would give up on it so soon.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

36051

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 36051 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sakaixx said:

@R4gn4r0k: there is patent leaks of PSVR2 and with index like controller with haptic feedback. I shared once regarding both of these I think, at least I remember posting about the new controller.

Yea, it hasn't been announced yet, but I don't think Sony would give up on it so soon.

So Hitman was announced for the PSVR?

But will be forward compatible with the upcoming PSVR2?

Avatar image for Macutchi
Macutchi

7536

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 7536 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yes, exclusivity is downright anti-consumer, and probably not great for innovation either as it stifles competition. It's as great an offense to gaming and consumers as caging a wild lion is to animals and animal right's activists; it's wrong, corrupt, and unnecessary.

facebook is the tiger king of the vr industry

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

14961

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 14961 Posts

I would place it at second. I think for many the cost of entry - not just for the headset but the hardware to power it at non-vomit-inducing framerates - is the biggest still. The mass market is much cheaper than the PC enthusiast market. People scuffle here over $300 vs $400 for a console - then the VR companies waltz in with an $800+ headset that demand a $1000+ rig to make it a properly enjoyable experience... it's just not gonna sell that much. You can go cheaper, of course... but perhaps in VR more than any other area of gaming the lower-end visuals and framerates are genuinely crippling. retro-style indies are a non-viable fallback for low-end VR. The best examples of low-end friendly are things like Superhot which creatively use ultra-minimalist graphics to good effect.

However, I definitely agree - there's good VR content now with broad(er) appeal, but it's fragmented on different headsets. BAD idea.

Avatar image for djoffer123
Djoffer123

600

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#19 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 600 Posts

Yep it’s a terrible practice... at least there is software that allow you to play other locked vr games on your index, doesn’t work on psvr exclusives of course!

Avatar image for gym_lion
Gym_Lion

262

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#20 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 262 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sakaixx said:

@R4gn4r0k: there is patent leaks of PSVR2 and with index like controller with haptic feedback. I shared once regarding both of these I think, at least I remember posting about the new controller.

Yea, it hasn't been announced yet, but I don't think Sony would give up on it so soon.

Jim said PSVR2 is years away.

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

16083

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#21 osan0
Member since 2004 • 16083 Posts

its certainly not helping.

in fairness (as i understand it at least) its also harder on the developers to do multiplat VR at the moment. there is an initiative called openXR to make it easier so hopefully that gets implemented more and makes life easier for developers to do cross platform VR.

it would be great for someone to also do a more affordable PC headset. Oculus are stopping so there could be some space there for someone like HP, MS or valve to step in. something like a quest in spec but still needs a PC to actually run could be an interesting proposition for many. or hell if sony want to move more PSVR 2 hardware then make it compatible with the PC also and fill in that rift gap.

Hopefully PSVR2 also delivers. i certainly wouldnt be surprised to see Half life Alyx released for the PS5 when it does come.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

20714

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#22 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 20714 Posts

VR's biggest problem is VR itself as it sucks.

Avatar image for appariti0n
appariti0n

3347

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#23 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

I think the biggest problem is still cost, and the need for wires.

Unfortunately the one headset that appears to mitigate both of these issues requires you sell your soul to facebook, and I can understand why many would not be cool with that.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

46315

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 0

#24 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 46315 Posts

I was told exclusives are good for gamers and the industry. 😎

Avatar image for zmanbarzel
ZmanBarzel

2480

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#25 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 2480 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sakaixx said:

@R4gn4r0k: there is patent leaks of PSVR2 and with index like controller with haptic feedback. I shared once regarding both of these I think, at least I remember posting about the new controller.

Yea, it hasn't been announced yet, but I don't think Sony would give up on it so soon.

Oh, I do. Companies develop and patent stuff that never actually sees the light of day all the time. The new Sony patent was undoubtedly the result of an internal team working on it before the brass realized, hey, VR's not actually going to be that big/important for us.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

6634

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6634 Posts

@Pedro said:

I was told exclusives are good for gamers and the industry. 😎

Not when the medium is still growing VR is in its primal stage.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

46315

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 0

#27  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 46315 Posts

@warmblur said:

Not when the medium is still growing VR is in its primal stage.

It not good for anyone but the manufacturer regardless of whether or not an industry is growing. The results are still the same. I can also see an argument that it is not even in the manufacturers benefit.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

6634

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#28 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6634 Posts

@Pedro said:
@warmblur said:

Not when the medium is still growing VR is in its primal stage.

It not good for anyone but the manufacturer regardless of whether or not an industry is growing. The results are still the same. I can also see an argument that it is not even in the manufacturers benefit.

Sadly it will always be about the money.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

46315

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 0

#29 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 46315 Posts

@warmblur said:

Sadly it will always be about the money.

Yes! Even when more money can be made.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

20714

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#30 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 20714 Posts

@warmblur: Please, enough with this primal stage BS with VR, its been around for decades, its shit, has always been shit, and will remain shit.

Avatar image for Sushiglutton
Sushiglutton

8486

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#31 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 8486 Posts

Atm I just think the price/performance isn’t quite there yet. PSVR2 may be it. Needs to be wireless with good controllers. None of the glowing pingpong ball stuff.

Sony feels like the one company that has all the talent to make a push for AAA VR gaming. My bet is on 2022 😎!

Avatar image for girlusocrazy
GirlUSoCrazy

10977

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 10977 Posts

Cost is the biggest. When you can get a $50-$75 wireless headset that connects to a console, and $100-$120 headset + controller setup that will be a watershed moment.

I had the Move controllers and jumped on the $200 PSVR deal but not everyone can do that. I never regretted it! Hope more people can get in on VR.

Avatar image for eoten
Eoten

2523

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#33 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2523 Posts

The reasons I do not have VR are simple. First, the technology is very expensive. $600 for a headset alone. Full kits can cost over $1k.

The second issue is that the technology as it stands isn't all that good, with a lot of problems due to your eyes being that close to a screen. Most are 1080P, some are 1440P but the screen door effect can be very fatiguing.

The third reason is that the games just are not there yet. Probably because VR isn't a very large market because it's cost prohibitive for many gamers. But the reason doesn't matter, the reality is most VR games are little more than tech demos. Most of what I would use it for are seated games like racing titles, flying games, or just head tracking for shooters and other stuff.

Now, I didn't even know exclusivity between headsets was actually a thing. That makes me much, much less likely to get into it. It would seem Facebook is doing all they can to ruin VR for everyone so they can make a few more bucks by making titles Oculus exclusives. And Sony, the company who falsely advertises 8K and 4K120 on the body of their most recent console aren't any better. Making VR games exclusive to a specific brand of VR makes the market for VR games even smaller, and makes the idea as a whole less interesting to me. I don't want to invest into VR, and a large portion of the games available for it be unplayable because of the brand.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

6634

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6634 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

@warmblur: Please, enough with this primal stage BS with VR, its been around for decades, its shit, has always been shit, and will remain shit.

VR has come along way since the virtual boy. I don't know why you hate it so much.... never mind I know why. You Microsoft fanboys hate it so much because Phil doesn't believe in it.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

43580

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#35 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 43580 Posts

@Macutchi said:

it isn't helping.

i'm guessing you've got, relative to regular games, a v small userbase. so there's less incentive for game studios to design a game specifically for vr from an economic standpoint. plus, i bet, it's much more difficult. so in most cases the best you can hope for is a vr version of a standard title, but is it really worth the time and effort.

to make it worth the time and effort you've got a ruthless megacorp like facebook, clearly in the monopoly business, with bucket loads of cash who will fund these vr versions but with the catch being they're exclusive to oculus. similarly sony too, but with less to throw at it. so yeah, it's probably a tricky situation for someone trying to figure out which headset to go with based on exclusives.

one of the biggest challenges is wearables being such a notoriously tough tech market to crack. having to fasten something to your head that covers your eyes in order to play is a real barrier to entry

^

Pretty much.

Notice as well with Facebook, even within their own echo-system they are not releasing their titles on all headsets. MOH may have supported Rift S, but upcoming games it appears, do not. Or at the very least timed exclusives, on their own fucking platform, forcing your ass to sign in "because".

Meanwhile Valve release Alyx, for every headset humanly possible when they very easily could have been cuntish with it.

When they directly contacted Oculus in order to improve their headset usage first hand, they were ignored.

-

Seeing stuff exclusive doesn't make me want to run out and buy another headset, it makes me straight up not want to support a spread thin, growing platform.

Avatar image for my_user_name
my_user_name

375

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#36 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 375 Posts

Microsoft should make the Series X compatible with PC headsets...

Having VR games come to Game Pass would be pretty awesome.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

20714

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#37 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 20714 Posts

@warmblur: Oh wow you went the dumb route, as in the cows one πŸ˜†

VR sucks, if MS makes it, it will still suck, nothing will change that its shit. You VR nutjobs are 🍌🍌🍌

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

45170

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#38 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45170 Posts

^So many VR haters in this room that actually never experienced the immersion of using one yet still bashing it! Modern VR hasn't been a fad since the Rift launched. It's always been awesome and there are currently few great games for VR. Beat Saber da best, sorry HL: Alyx. Like I said, VR was never a fad, just highly niche and in need of technology to catch up to potential. We're getting there and now it'll just be highly niche.

We just need more AAA VR games such as HL: Alyx to push VR even further. Surely Beat Saber is amazing but I do hope game developers push VR above and beyond this gen.

Avatar image for eoten
Eoten

2523

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#39 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2523 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I would place it at second. I think for many the cost of entry - not just for the headset but the hardware to power it at non-vomit-inducing framerates - is the biggest still. The mass market is much cheaper than the PC enthusiast market. People scuffle here over $300 vs $400 for a console - then the VR companies waltz in with an $800+ headset that demand a $1000+ rig to make it a properly enjoyable experience... it's just not gonna sell that much. You can go cheaper, of course... but perhaps in VR more than any other area of gaming the lower-end visuals and framerates are genuinely crippling. retro-style indies are a non-viable fallback for low-end VR. The best examples of low-end friendly are things like Superhot which creatively use ultra-minimalist graphics to good effect.

However, I definitely agree - there's good VR content now with broad(er) appeal, but it's fragmented on different headsets. BAD idea.

One of the reasons I was thinking of buying a 6800XT was to drive a higher resolution next gen VR headset I was looking at that is 2160x2160 per eye. With eyes so close to the screen it's the only situation where I think 4K may have some actual value. That's $650 on top of $600 for a PC powered headset with inside-out tracking. That's a lot of money for something that doesn't have a lot of serious games on it yet, and will likely be an obsolete setup by time VR does.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

6634

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6634 Posts

@davillain- said:

^So many VR haters in this room that actually never experienced the immersion of using one yet still bashing it! Modern VR hasn't been a fad since the Rift launched. It's always been awesome and there are currently few great games for VR. Beat Saber da best, sorry HL: Alyx. Like I said, VR was never a fad, just highly niche and in need of technology to catch up to potential. We're getting there and now it'll just be highly niche.

We just need more AAA VR games such as HL: Alyx to push VR even further. Surely Beat Saber is amazing but I do hope game developers push VR above and beyond this gen.

Yep, it's pretty dumb that haters are so narrow minded with VR it's easiest the biggest jump in gaming since 2-D from 3-D. I still remember playing my Rift for the first time it's one of those gaming memories that you never forget.

Avatar image for eoten
Eoten

2523

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#41 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2523 Posts

I have no doubt VR is a revolutionary experience. I can't wait until it has good enough resolution and frame rates to be used for a long period of time. If they could be used comfortably for long enough, I could see people using them for desktop usage as well. Imagine the productivity when you can put applications you are working on above you or to the side. And what sounded the most interesting to me are driving and flying games where you can actually look over your shoulder as if you were really in the cockpit of a WWII fighter plane.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

20714

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#42 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 20714 Posts

@davillain-: Ah trying to stealth bash me huh dav, well i see you're one VR nutjobs. I don't need to try something i know sucks, like i don't need to experience a car crash to know it sucks, i don't need to buy a PS4/5 to know it sucks, I just know.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

46460

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#43 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 46460 Posts

It's definitely a turn-off for anyone wanting to take the (expensive) plunge into VR. I was hoping for some good black friday deals last year but was disappointed the higher end models were only on sale a fraction of their prices.

@getyeryayasout said:

Exclusivity is actually the 3rd biggest threat, with stairs and open windows coming in at 1st and 2nd respectively.

Avatar image for commander
commander

16038

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#44 commander
Member since 2010 • 16038 Posts

the biggest problem is that there ain't any real good headsets, there could be , the rift cv1 was a good headset, but the resolution is not good enough anymore.

Al this inside outside bs, and headsets that are way too heavy

Avatar image for schu
schu

10161

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#45 schu
Member since 2003 • 10161 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I don't really think it's a threat so much as just slowing it down.

Avatar image for schu
schu

10161

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#46 schu
Member since 2003 • 10161 Posts
@commander said:

the biggest problem is that there ain't any real good headsets, there could be , the rift cv1 was a good headset, but the resolution is not good enough anymore.

Al this inside outside bs, and headsets that are way too heavy

Valve Index is solid. I wish it had a bigger FOV, but other than that it's fine.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

45170

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#47 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45170 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

@davillain-: Ah trying to stealth bash me huh dav, well i see you're one VR nutjobs. I don't need to try something i know sucks, like i don't need to experience a car crash to know it sucks, i don't need to buy a PS4/5 to know it sucks, I just know.

Just sprouting my opinion on the VR haters around here. That said, VR's only greatest enemy right now is the pricing entry which can turn consumers away and also go on the hating path.

Avatar image for commander
commander

16038

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#48  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16038 Posts
@schu said:
@commander said:

the biggest problem is that there ain't any real good headsets, there could be , the rift cv1 was a good headset, but the resolution is not good enough anymore.

Al this inside outside bs, and headsets that are way too heavy

Valve Index is solid. I wish it had a bigger FOV, but other than that it's fine.

it's way too heavy, it's 1.8 pound, that's a ridiculous weight for active vr. A headset needs to be light. My cv1 is almost half that.

But even if you can get around that , the knuckles controllers are over the top technology, and not needed but you pay for that. The wands on the other hand are simply crap controllers. The cv1 controllers are ergonomic, light and feel natural for most action needed in games, they are sturdy.

The rift s is light tho, but what's the point if you have sensorless tracking if you need to consider what patterns your room has, what lighting there is, the cv1 works in any condition. Now it has the same flaws wmr headsets have, not that it matters that much, since oculus is now a camera in your house run by facebook, that forces you to agreee to basically use any data from you, even what the camera's see...

In that sense we should be glad facebook doesn't realize which headset vr needs, and hopefully this time around sony does.

Because valve doesn't really get it either, it's a great thing they did with halflife alyx and steam vr in general but how are you gong to bring vr to the masses with 1000$ headsets. I mean the valve index should exists, but 144hz displays are not really necessary, nor perfect finger tracking

and it does make it heavier, and sure you can advocate all day how it is comfortable , for active vr it is not as comfortable as the lightweight headsets like the cv1.

and that comfort is a necessity for longer play sessions, I play skyrim vr for 4 hours straight, I could even do that with psvr, I could not do that with an index.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

36051

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#49 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 36051 Posts

@commander said:

the biggest problem is that there ain't any real good headsets, there could be , the rift cv1 was a good headset, but the resolution is not good enough anymore.

Al this inside outside bs, and headsets that are way too heavy

True there are three important aspects imo:

  • Resolution of the screens
  • Weight of the headset
  • Wires
Avatar image for commander
commander

16038

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#50  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16038 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

I'd be curious to check out PSVR 2 when it comes out. I already have a PS5, so the barrier to entry is smaller. I also trust Sony to push the medium further than Valve will. Valve made one game and who knows how long until they release another. They haven't been making games in general for a while now.

If the psvr2 is good, I'm buying a ps5 because of it. To me games are not the most important thing, frankly we already have some good games, we just don't have any good headsets, and if there are good headsets more games will come automatically.

and manufactures could make good headsets, they just seem to make all the wrong choices.

they don't seem to realize that they need to find a balance between weight, tracking, resolution, controller/ headset ergonomics, and price . Yeah valve great resolution refresh rate, and controllers are plain futuristic, but the 1.8 pounds and 1000 bucks are crazy , I mean who needed finger tracking anyway, 144 hz really? 90 fps is more than sufficient at the moment.

oculus is just a lost cause, I mean I/O tracking is already a downside as it is, but you're not going to tell me that 6 camera's on a headset and facebooks datamining policy is not going to chase away consumers.

It's a pity because the cv1 just shows how palmer luckey's vision still tops that of any other manufacturers, if the cv1 had better resolution, it would still blow any other headset out of the water.

Sure valve's lighthouse solution is still better for tracking, but oculus sensor tracking is still more than good enough, it's also a breeze to setup,

But indeed the psvr2 is promising, because sony actually made a brilliant headset for the time. Sure the tracking is not that good, especially with the one camera and the shitty controllers. But you gotta realize this was pre 2015 when they made it.

Sony also wanted to use existing tech to keep the price down, so implementing move controllers seemed like a good idea. They also didn't know that they motion controllers would be so important, the rift didn't even have any, vive wasn't even released yet, and a lot of people were just playing elite dangerous with the dk 1 and dk2 headsets. Motion sickness was still a major hurdle.

what makes the psvr so brilliant is the ergonomics of the headsets, the screen and how they made this run on ps4. They managed to migitate the screen door effect way better than any other manufacturer with a lower resolution screen and a lot less powerfull hardware.

So yes, I have major expectations for the psvr2, because sony seems to be our only hope at the moment to make a decent 2nd generation headset.