Is DOOM the current graphics king?

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

Hey guys I havent tried the new Battlefiend yet but from what I played of DOOM I think its one of the best looking games I have ever played after Crysis 3. What is the current graphics king?

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Witcher 3, Gears 4, BF1. All more impressive than Doom imo.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

Nope.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@wolverine4262 said:

Nope.

Yep.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

INB4 Hermits post Star Citizen screenshots.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
@wolverine4262 said:

Yep.

No. The Witcher 3 looks nowhere near as good as games like DOOM or Rise of the Tomb Raider. It looks fantastic for an open-world of this scale but doesn't belong on the conversation. It's on par with GTA V(except character models, they don't look good in GTA V) and looks worse than AC Unity.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

There are probably 10 games this year that look better than Doom. Doom runs like a dream. That alone disqualifies it from the "graphics king" discussion. The graphics are good, don't get me wrong. They just aren't they selling point of the game. The only reason to play Uncharted 4 is the graphics and story, for example. Doom isn't that.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts

Doom... Graphics king... hahahhaha. No.

That would be Battlefield 1 on PC.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DragonfireXZ95

@Juub1990 said:
@wolverine4262 said:

Yep.

No. The Witcher 3 looks nowhere near as good as games like DOOM or Rise of the Tomb Raider. It looks fantastic for an open-world of this scale but doesn't belong on the conversation. It's on par with GTA V(except character models, they don't look good in GTA V) and looks worse than AC Unity.

I disagree.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Juub1990
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I disagree.

Those reshade mods look very nice but the quality of lighting doesn't approach what you got in DOOM. Neither is the hair anywhere near Tomb Raider or the character models close to Uncharted 4. TW3 being a huge open-world had to dial back on a lot of things to make sure to game ran smoothly It looks great for an open-world but it doesn't approach the top tier like Battlefield 1.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DragonfireXZ95

@Juub1990 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I disagree.

Those reshade mods look very nice but the quality of lighting doesn't approach what you got in DOOM. Neither is the hair anywhere near Tomb Raider or the character models close to Uncharted 4. TW3 being a huge open-world had to dial back on a lot of things to make sure to game ran smoothly It looks great for an open-world but it doesn't approach the top tier like Battlefield 1.

Yes, but we're not talking about BF1. We're talking about Rise and Doom, neither of which actually have the same size of open world, nor do they have the dynamic lighting that The Witcher 3 has.

Tomb Raider looks great. It has some good baked lighting, but the dynamic lighting is severely lacking. And I agree, Tomb Raider looks better in a lot of aspects. But to say it doesn't come anywhere near it is not correct.

Doom, however? No, that doesn't come close to either of them. A lot of the textures are low res. Is there even any dynamic lighting? I don't recall there being any. Also, it's not open world.

BF1 is above them all, I think. But, it's not open world, and I'm not trying to pin it against them.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#12 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Uncharted 4 for sure.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

No, it's a fantastic looking game and I would say close to, but what is over the top and above the rest about it I would say is the art style.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

Wasn't that impressive. Ran great though.

Of this generation, Assassins Creed Unity was very impressive, far more so than something like the Witcher 3.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Nah, that would be BF1 and Star Citizen.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Juub1990
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Yes, but we're not talking about BF1. We're talking about Rise and Doom, neither of which actually have the same size of open world, nor do they have the dynamic lighting that The Witcher 3 has.

Tomb Raider looks great. It has some good baked lighting, but the dynamic lighting is severely lacking. And I agree, Tomb Raider looks better in a lot of aspects. But to say it doesn't come anywhere near it is not correct.

Doom, however? No, that doesn't come close to either of them. A lot of the textures are low res. Is there even any dynamic lighting? I don't recall there being any. Also, it's not open world.

BF1 is above them all, I think. But, it's not open world, and I'm not trying to pin it against them.

Which is exactly what I said. TW3 being a huge open-world had to dial back on several things to make it playable. That's why it has no claim at the graphics crown.

DOOM has plenty of dynamic lights. A lot of textures are lower res? Did you even play the game? Nightmare textures eat up 6GB of VRAM and the game has probably THE BEST textures on the market. There textures aren't low res on Nightmare or Ultra. Witcher 3 with textures slider to the max boasts textures with a resolution of 2024x2024. DOOM on Nightmare is 4096x4096.

Robert A Duffy: As we were prototyping Doom gameplay and the environments started to take form, it was clear we needed to take the technology in a different direction to achieve the visual fidelity we felt a modern Doom game warranted. 60fps was always the target for the game but as we started adding full dynamic lighting, shadows, and other features the performance target became a main focus of the engineering team. The short answer is a lot changed but not everything.

Digital Foundry: Are you able to discuss the major changes between idTech5 and 6? Rage was notably a much more static lighting approach, and presumably a forward renderer. On the other hand, Doom is much richer in dynamic lights and shadowing. Is it some form of tile deferred or clustered deferred renderer?

The mere fact that you asked if DOOM had dynamic lights tells me you have no idea what you are talking about.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

No, it's probably not even top 10 right now. BF1 is the graphics king

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

BF1 is

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

I'd say Battlefront and Battlefield 1 have better graphics, but it does compete with games such as ROTTR and AC Unity.

Also damn, I thought Witcher without reshade looked good enough, game looks amazing af.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

BF1 looks better than Doom. I think Witcher 3 does too when you factor in scale. Doom is a great looking game, but there are better looking ones.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Juub1990

@Wasdie said:

BF1 looks better than Doom. I think Witcher 3 does too when you factor in scale. Doom is a great looking game, but there are better looking ones.

And why would you?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

@Juub1990: When you factor in the scale of the world and how the game still maintains to look good and sometimes better than more linear games such as RottR then you start to appreciate what a technical achievement this game is. Of course individual things such as character models, hair quality, textures etc will be done better by certain smaller games, but as a whole package this game can really be considered a graphical powerhouse.

Also, I think when @DragonfireXZ95 mentioned dynamic lighting, he meant how lighting changes naturally as time goes by for example whilst meditating. I dont know if something like this is present in DOOM but correct me if I'm wrong.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

BF1 is incredible, as is Battlefront (same engine, and oh man when you mod it?! Swear to God you are actually ON Tatooine)

DOOM looks great and runs well (which is important, especially for a reflex-based shooter), but I don't think it is the best.

Witcher 3 is impressive, specifically for an open-world engine but no, not the best looking engine hands down. I'd argue that a heavily modified Skyrim game might even look better than it does (flameshield activated), especially in richness of environments.

I'd say Star Citizen, but it runs so poorly I can't say its name lol. Performance matters, sorry.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I don't know but I do know that it looks reeeeeeally good on an HDR HDTV.

Like....really good, lol.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

BF1 is the most boring looking game. I'm not saying a war battered area should be littered with all the colors of the rainbow but, ****, does everything have to be dark as shit.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DragonfireXZ95

@Juub1990 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Which is exactly what I said. TW3 being a huge open-world had to dial back on several things to make it playable. That's why it has no claim at the graphics crown.

DOOM has plenty of dynamic lights. A lot of textures are lower res? Did you even play the game? Nightmare textures eat up 6GB of VRAM and the game has probably THE BEST textures on the market. There textures aren't low res on Nightmare or Ultra. Witcher 3 with textures slider to the max boasts textures with a resolution of 2024x2024. DOOM on Nightmare is 4096x4096.

Robert A Duffy: As we were prototyping Doom gameplay and the environments started to take form, it was clear we needed to take the technology in a different direction to achieve the visual fidelity we felt a modern Doom game warranted. 60fps was always the target for the game but as we started adding full dynamic lighting, shadows, and other features the performance target became a main focus of the engineering team. The short answer is a lot changed but not everything.

Digital Foundry: Are you able to discuss the major changes between idTech5 and 6? Rage was notably a much more static lighting approach, and presumably a forward renderer. On the other hand, Doom is much richer in dynamic lights and shadowing. Is it some form of tile deferred or clustered deferred renderer?

The mere fact that you asked if DOOM had dynamic lights tells me you have no idea what you are talking about.

I played it, and no, dynamic lights were still barely there for most of the game. At least, it didn't have any dynamic lights coming from the sky. It's possible some light sources in the game had it, but I remember it being frequently rare. Also, lol @ the textures.

This is ultra textures. Lots of lower res textures and assets everywhere.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Juub1990

@DragonfireXZ95: I wonder what matters more. Words from the devs and people with credibility and actual numbers or some guy who claims low-res textures by posting an image not pointing where the low res textures are and claiming no dynamic lights when they are all over the place.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

Ok, I've been trying to stay out of this, but:

1. Doom 4 has dynamic lighting all over the place, seriously wtf.

2. The only problem with Doom 4's textures is that they can be slow to load at times.

Otherwise they're fucking great. Like literally any 3d game in existence, you can hunt around and find some shoddy textures if you really look. But for the most part, Doom 4's textures are excellent. On average, they're literally 4 times the resolution of what is present in TW3. And unlike TW3 which adopted a PBR workflow later in development, Doom 4 was built from the ground up with PBR maps. It's really no contest.

Both games look great, personally I think TW3 is more of a looker when it all comes together (art and scale sells it for me), but from strictly a technical standpoint Doom 4 shits on it in a variety of ways.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

The graphics and art style are good enough I think the argument could be made. Not my favorite though.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#30 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

BroForce

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wasdie  Moderator

@Juub1990 said:
@Wasdie said:

And why would you?

Because it's important. Larger environments require the rendering to be distributed over a much larger space and it's much more difficult to control the variables. That's why a game that looks as good as Witcher 3 despite the scale is pretty impressive.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

Gears 4 PC is absolutely awe inspiring. Especially with everything cranked up to 11 at 2k. Melts PCs with the few settings set to insane. Played BF1 for about 10 minutes maxed out. Idk. Might beat gears but I'd have to play it more.

Both easily beat Doom IMO. It's between gears 4 and BF1

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17401 Posts

@Wasdie said:
@Juub1990 said:
@Wasdie said:

And why would you?

Because it's important. Larger environments require the rendering to be distributed over a much larger space and it's much more difficult to control the variables. That's why a game that looks as good as Witcher 3 despite the scale is pretty impressive.

Unfair comparison.

Its well known that CD Projekt dabbles in blood magic.

It shouldnt be factored in.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@navyguy21 said:
@Wasdie said:
@Juub1990 said:
@Wasdie said:

And why would you?

Unfair comparison.

Its well known that CD Projekt dabbles in blood magic.

It shouldnt be factored in.

Nobody has sold their souls to the devil more than Rockstar. Somehow they got GTA V running on the PS3/360.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Juub1990

@Wasdie: Have you seen how poorly it runs?

Also no scale should not be a factor. We're talking best graphics. Too bad TW3 shot for open-world.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

Not sure about Gears 4 or BF1, but I think Doom is better looking than TW3. TW3 is nice looking but it's pretty rough around the edges. The art direction is what makes it so attractive in my opinion. Dooms lighting, particle effects and animations are well ahead of TW3.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

There is a reason why Doom runs as well as it does, it does very little.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

Lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Witcher 3 wasn't even impressive when it was released. Graphics kings have sharp textures, high quality assets, and attention to detail. The Witcher 3 is blurry, has a copy/pasted world, and very little attention to detail.

For example, the water in the game is 100% flat.

Want to know how long ago we solved the issue of flat water?

Image result for wave racer 64

Yea, a long ass time ago. This pretty much applies to all the graphics in W3 - old as shit. CD Projekt are lazy, and frankly, you're mentally lazy and suffer from massive cognitive dissonance if you can't process the fact that modern games don't have flat water.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

It's the graphics king when it comes to 1080/60 games....

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wasdie  Moderator

@Juub1990 said:

@Wasdie: Have you seen how poorly it runs?

Also no scale should not be a factor. We're talking best graphics. Too bad TW3 shot for open-world.

Poorly what runs? The Witcher 3 runs at 100 fps at 1440p at max settings on my computer. Looks absolutely stunning even down to the fine details. BF1 runs at about 80 FPS on my machine, 1440p max settings (i'm overdoing the AA too). Doom looked great too, but the other two looked better.

The console versions of The Witcher 3 were significantly lower fidelity than the PC version, same with BF1. However they are pretty damn close to the PC version with Doom, which is also Doom's problem on the PC. You can tell certain elements of Doom were built with the constraints of the consoles in mind. Specifically texture resolution, but that could be more of a product of megatextures than anything.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

Not really. It's an excellent achievement as an optimized engine, rarely dropping below 120fps at 1080p on modern hardware. But it has some inconsistencies and weaker models/textures here and there. It's certainly one of the better looking games out there though.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@wolverine4262 said:

Nope.

The only thing that kinda disappointed me when talking 'bout graphics was the water, it's so flat. Check out the beautiful water shaders in GTAV, Batman: AK also has beautiful water with nice looking waves. Other than that Witcher 3 looks ****** great, even on consoles.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@KHAndAnime said:
@wolverine4262 said:

Lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Witcher 3 wasn't even impressive when it was released. Graphics kings have sharp textures, high quality assets, and attention to detail. The Witcher 3 is blurry, has a copy/pasted world, and very little attention to detail.

For example, the water in the game is 100% flat.

Want to know how long ago we solved the issue of flat water?

Yea, a long ass time ago. This pretty much applies to all the graphics in W3 - old as shit. CD Projekt are lazy, and frankly, you're mentally lazy and suffer from massive cognitive dissonance if you can't process the fact that modern games don't have flat water.

100% flat?

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@Wasdie said:
You can tell certain elements of Doom were built with the constraints of the consoles in mind.

Don't forget the MP. :D

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

DOOM has some insane looking effects, and the character models are very detailed.

Some people need to get their eyes checked, or play these games on a proper PC. DOOM and The Witcher 3 look amazing.

Battlefield 1 is graphics king though.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

It's hard to tell since we got to a point when basically every game looks great. In my opinion games like Doom, Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3, SW Battlefront, Battlefield 1, etc are among the most impressive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@wolverine4262 said:

Nope.

Artistically, The Witcher 3 maybe gets it's spot there.. Hell, it absolutely obliterates the others on an artistical level.

If you look at it that way..

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Not sure if op is joking or just plain fanboying. If scale doesn't matter we might just as well pick this demo.

Sorry, but your argument is shit. Anyone can make a good looking game if they are limited to a tiny area. Scale does matter and it belongs into the graphics department, rendering a group of 5 npc or single building isn't as graphically impressive as rendering 1000 of npcs and an entire town. Also, doom looks average compared to most modern games, battlefront and battlefield 1 shit all over doom visually. Doom looks ok, but not slightly impressive.

Loading Video...

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Juub1990

@Wasdie: GTA V runs poorly on last gen consoles. What kinda of PC you got to have TW3 run at max settings in 1440p at 100fps? My 1080's cannot do that.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

Doom is the graphic king in SP. Because in MP, BF1 is. Or BF4 or Hardline.

Doom graphics are impressive but it does not offer the same amount of stuff that Frostbite offer as a MP game.