Is Divinity 2 and Dragon Age Origins the best rpgs ever made?

#1 Edited by IvanGrozny (885 posts) -

If you remove your nostalgia lenses, if we check the best gameplay, story and balance, then these are the best rpgs ever created.

So why not Baldurs Gate 2 instead of Origins, you might ask? Well, BG2 had this annoying mechanic that you had to rest to recharge your spells, which was immensely detracting from the gameplay fun factor. Origins was basically BG2 successor, but had much better gameplay due to rechargable spells.

In turn, Divinity 2 has the best rpg XCOM combat, where you must plan carefully your actions and use the environment for a tactical advantage. Original Sin has a better a story and gameplay in my opinion, but Origins was in real time, so it had a better action fluidity, therefore they kinda balance each other.

Both games have immensely satisfying class leveling and party based RPG gameplay.

There is just no RPG gameplay as fun as these two games provide. This is why i consider these two games the best modern rpgs ever made.

Perhaps some of your favorite rpgs might have a better story or some other elements, but when it comes down to tactical rpg gameplay, Orgins and Original Sin 2 trumple their competition.

#2 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9433 posts) -

No. its these 2 are. 2 of best RPGs ever still and nothing come close.

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (32255 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins is pretty shite. It got propped up back then because we were desperate for classic RPG's and nobody realized yet that Bioware were a bunch of hacks.

Divinity? Series has always been underrated. The pre-Original Sin games you could get OP as **** and kill everything with minimal effott, but they had excellent writing. Like Fable, if it was actually funny.

#4 Posted by Random_Matt (3843 posts) -

Play and complete DA O now and then come back. DA I is better, and that is saying something.

#5 Edited by Howmakewood (5758 posts) -

Origins? Its redeeming factor is that it's less bad than the sequels

#6 Posted by Basinboy (13839 posts) -

I have no foundation for saying so. I’ve not played either but am interested in Divinity 2.

My favorite game is FFIX, an RPG, but not because of its mechanics. So I could be persuaded off my perch with a sufficient argument.

#7 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10052 posts) -

DAO is easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played, 100% that game, replayed it 6 times with all Origins, loved the story and most of the characters.

#8 Edited by Planeforger (17968 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins was pretty bad when it came out, and I don't think it has aged well since then. I wouldn't put it in my top 50 RPGs of all time.

The combat, party options, dungeon design, world design and difficulty curve are all *significantly* worse than BG2. Many of the main-quest dungeons were painful to play through - they were just so monotonous, without a shred of creativity or variety to them.

The only thing that Dragon Age Origins did better was...uh...lighting?

#9 Edited by MonsieurX (38908 posts) -

I need to play Divinity 2

#10 Posted by appariti0n (2726 posts) -

You mean Divinity: original sin 2.

Divinity 2 also exists, nowhere close to the same game.

#11 Posted by xantufrog (11024 posts) -

Haven't played DOS2. I need to. It looks rad. But there's no way in hell I'd rank DA:O that high. It's only "ok"

#12 Posted by Fedor (4327 posts) -

DoS 2 is amazing, Origins is meh.

Avatar image for the_master_race
#13 Posted by the_master_race (4554 posts) -

you put Divinity and Dragon Age in the same sentence ?!!!

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#14 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13523 posts) -

Lol Dragon Age. Good one.

#15 Posted by misrespect (79 posts) -

My brother and I were looking at local coop games. We thought Divnity 2 was going to be something like Diablo or Gauntlet. Within 5 minutes of playing, we discovered it was one of those disgusting turned based RPGs. I quickly shut the game off and requested a refund from MS. Thank god that worked. I got Diablo 3 instead and we've been having a blast since.

#16 Posted by pyro1245 (4830 posts) -

I support a thread praising these two games.

Big thumbs up to Larian for being awesome.

#17 Posted by Mandzilla (3816 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins is indeed one of the best RPGs of all time in my opinion, great game.

#19 Posted by johnd13 (9661 posts) -

Origins is one of my favorite games. Back when Bioware's games still had a soul. Great atmosphere, story, characters and soundtrack. Initially, the tactical combat turned me off but I got used it. Never played Divinity.

#20 Posted by xantufrog (11024 posts) -

@misrespect: ...do you buy games without reading what they are often?

#21 Posted by SecretPolice (34958 posts) -

lol

KOTOR >>>> All. :P

#22 Edited by PAL360 (29519 posts) -

Haven't played Origins yet, but Divinity OS2, The Witcher 3, and Kingdom Come Deliverance are up there, in my opinion.

#23 Posted by knight-k (2544 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

Lol, you probably never played DOS2. Stop living in the past, these games have been surpassed.

#24 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9433 posts) -

@knight-k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Lol, you probably never played DOS2. Stop living in the past, these games have been surpassed.

because i hate RPGs. and those 2 are also 2 of best games ever made too.

#25 Posted by misrespect (79 posts) -

@xantufrog: didn't say anywhere it was turn based, dummy.

#26 Posted by Fedor (4327 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: Why should anyone take your opinion on rpgs serious then?

PS: love deus ex.

#27 Posted by Fedor (4327 posts) -

@misrespect: So you did 0 research on a game you purchased?

#28 Posted by dzimm (5304 posts) -

I don't know about "best ever made", but Dragon Age: Origins is certainly one of the best.

#29 Posted by ProtossRushX (5203 posts) -

No

#30 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14920 posts) -

Dragon Age; Origins has too many flaws to be called the best RPG and everyone here knows I loved that game. Divinity 2 is a different game. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is different. If you are talking about Original Sin series then yeah I can agree along with few other titles.

#31 Edited by xantufrog (11024 posts) -

@misrespect: what? Anyone who read about this game - which was one of the most publicised RPGs in recent years, would have immediately learned that information. Everyone and their mom has reviewed this game. It's one of the most highly ranked RPGs.

And you have the nerve/irony to call me a dummy for asking why you didn't know anything about the game before you bought it.

I'll ask again: do you buy games without reading what they are often?

*edit* here - literally the second "about this game" highlight on the front page

#32 Posted by Jag85 (13248 posts) -

Not really.

#33 Posted by DocSanchez (5158 posts) -

Neither game is even part of the conversation.

#34 Posted by Zaryia (7882 posts) -

Deus Ex > Your SOUL

#36 Edited by Vaasman (13570 posts) -

Saying Dragon Age Origins is better than BG2 is like saying Kraft Mac and Cheese is better than melting authentic cheddar into noodles. I like Kraft well enough but it will never beat the real thing, let's be honest with ourselves.

Saying it isn't as good because you recharge spells by resting is honestly the worst criticism I have heard of an RPG in quite a while.

#37 Posted by Lucianu (10341 posts) -
@ivangrozny said:

If you remove your nostalgia lenses, if we check the best gameplay, story and balance, then these are the best rpgs ever created.

So why not Baldurs Gate 2 instead of Origins, you might ask? Well, BG2 had this annoying mechanic that you had to rest to recharge your spells, which was immensely detracting from the gameplay fun factor. Origins was basically BG2 successor, but had much better gameplay due to rechargable spells.

In turn, Divinity 2 has the best rpg XCOM combat, where you must plan carefully your actions and use the environment for a tactical advantage. Original Sin has a better a story and gameplay in my opinion, but Origins was in real time, so it had a better action fluidity, therefore they kinda balance each other.

Both games have immensely satisfying class leveling and party based RPG gameplay.

There is just no RPG gameplay as fun as these two games provide. This is why i consider these two games the best modern rpgs ever made.

Perhaps some of your favorite rpgs might have a better story or some other elements, but when it comes down to tactical rpg gameplay, Orgins and Original Sin 2 trumple their competition.

Never start a discussion with a ol' "nostalgia" dismissive bullshit that makes you look like you're not worth reading. If you're not worth reading, then what's the point in the time you wasted writing your post?

I disagree about Origins vs. Baldur's Gate 2, because Origins is 3D and controls/looks/plays significantly worse than its 2D counterpart, besides, its plot/characters/writing in general is significantly worse than in Baldur's Gate 2. Not even the same ballpark.

Haven't played Original Sin and Original Sin 2, they have absolutely nothing that can grab me unfortunately, alltho i do know their combat is praised and i do respect that.

There's nothing nostalgic personally speaking in mentioning these off the top of my head:

• Planescape: Torment
  • Baldur's Gate 2: Shadow of Amn
  • Gothic 2: Gold Edition
  • Fallout/Fallout 2/Fallout: New Vegas
  • Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

And arguing they're some of the best role playing games ever made, i replay them often as well so i can keep the experience fresh in my mind, and they're brilliant because they transcend any face value bullshit a lot of video games are subject to because of trends.

#38 Edited by Maroxad (15218 posts) -

Origins was not a good game.

Baldur's Gate 2 had better

• Controls
  • Encounter design
  • Enemy design
  • Characters
  • Quests
  • Writing

DAO seemed to think, a lot of pausing does a good, deep and tactical game make. But DAO was really shallow. In BG2, you could pause, but you didnt need to pause all that much, especially since the martial characters were pretty much entirely automated and you didnt need to constantly check for cooldowns. And in BG2, spells were best for countering what your opponent did, not throwing them out nilly willy.

Pillars of Eternity got this stuff done so much better.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 was a good game. but it had 3 critical flaws that practically ruined my ability to enjoy it.

The armor system was poorly thought out. Encouraging mono builds, making mixed physical and magical damage nowhere near as effective as single damage types.

Random loot is still a thing, leading to uninspired drops.

The level/power curve was always awful.