SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45088 Posts

I picked this up for $20 during the Epic game sale. It got rave reviews, so naturally, I'm supposed to like what the media tells me I should like. But I read that this 'game' is mostly reading. Is that true? Or are there actual gameplay elements? I'm going to give it a try, but would like to know SW's thoughts! Thanks.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10587 Posts

Someone I very much trust the opinion of has described this as a "Planescape: Torment clone." So yes, you'll be doing copious amounts of reading. That said, all told, it's a very well written game, and can be very funny.

It also has a pretty explicitly political theme, but not in a partisan way. It's kind of cyberpunk-y, without the cyber part. Really, the game's design is all about giving you near-infinite options for role-playing your character as you choose.

In summary, it's not for everyone, but for those it does click with, it's a really great game.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

It's a masterpiece

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It is a lot of reading. But the reading is good. It's a game that has a lot to say. It's not a game you want to rush through to complete it. Soak it up, see what it has to offer. Try stuff.

The selling points are that it has a rather unique RPG system. Where leveling up can be good or bad. Your character will develop and you will find that the game will try and convince you that maybe you should do something that you normally wouldn't. The choices you'll make will be interesting. If you like roleplaying your character, I think you'll like the game.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26093 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

It got rave reviews, so naturally, I'm supposed to like what the media tells me I should like.

Not sure why you said this.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#6 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6085 Posts

Play it already and find out for yourself???

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Just because something got rave reviews doesn't mean it's for everyone.

That's like recommending Citizen Kane because objectively it's a perfect and groundbreaking film - but that might not mean much as a recommendation if you have a hard time sitting through older black-and-white movies.

This is why people need to start knowing their taste instead of blindly chasing numbers.

Also: give a little chance. Sometimes it's rewarding to venture out and try something outside your norm. Gamespot won't figure that out for you.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

It's not a game with overwhelming, universal appeal, it's story heavy and the game elements circle around statistics and success or failure of those stats. If you like video games as a media that can do unique interactive material and tell stories in a way no other media can, then this is a game for you. However if you just want a quick shot of fun without much investment or effort, then I would not recommend it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Willy105 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

It got rave reviews, so naturally, I'm supposed to like what the media tells me I should like.

? He's just adhering to the narrative.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Text heavy, great player agency, some of the best writing you'll find in the medium

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Did you like Planescape Torment? People define gameplay in different ways - a lot of the emphasis I've seen around SW on controls and "gameplay" equating to responsiveness and "depth" of input options might flat out exclude point and click puzzle games like Myst as games at all, since they lack of that completely. Which is obviously absurd: the puzzling IS the game. It's just not for everyone. Likewise, games like this the Role Playing IS the game. Won't work for everyone, of course - in a lot of games nowadays role-playing is a "feature" such that a lot of RPGs are more action games with "role-playing elements". Which is totally fine too, but a different design direction.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I picked this up for $20 during the Epic game sale. It got rave reviews, so naturally, I'm supposed to like what the media tells me I should like. But I read that this 'game' is mostly reading. Is that true? Or are there actual gameplay elements? I'm going to give it a try, but would like to know SW's thoughts! Thanks.

It's a new genre! You've heard of movie-games, right? Well this is a book-game!

Kidding aside, reading in games (especially RPG's) is nothing new. Some RPG's play more like interactive novels than games.

And that's fine. It's irony of sorts, but I always say there is more to a game than gameplay.

For me personally, these kinds of games are not for me. 10+ years ago I ate up all these "classic/western" RPG's with all that reading. Planescape Torment, Fallout 1/2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, and so on. But these days? I just need more bang for my buck, and I read books already, so I find it a bit tedious.

That's my problem, though, not the game's. Plenty of people enjoy these games and more power to them because they really are high quality for the most part.

@xantufrog said:

Did you like Planescape Torment? People define gameplay in different ways - a lot of the emphasis I've seen around SW on controls and "gameplay" equating to responsiveness and "depth" of input options might flat out exclude point and click puzzle games like Myst as games at all, since they lack of that completely. Which is obviously absurd: the puzzling IS the game. It's just not for everyone. Likewise, games like this the Role Playing IS the game. Won't work for everyone, of course - in a lot of games nowadays role-playing is a "feature" such that a lot of RPGs are more action games with "role-playing elements". Which is totally fine too, but a different design direction.

Exactly. People need to think less in "is this game good/bad" and more in terms of "is this game good for me". With all the games out there, it's generally easy to find at least one title, even from genres you dislike, that fits your specific tastes.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Too many words for me. Don't like reading that much on a screen.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic

@xantufrog said:

Never played it. If the story is good, then hopefully I won't mind all of the reading lol. I have done visual novels before, so maybe that helps?

@KungfuKitten said:

It is a lot of reading. But the reading is good. It's a game that has a lot to say. It's not a game you want to rush through to complete it. Soak it up, see what it has to offer. Try stuff.

The selling points are that it has a rather unique RPG system. Where leveling up can be good or bad. Your character will develop and you will find that the game will try and convince you that maybe you should do something that you normally wouldn't. The choices you'll make will be interesting. If you like roleplaying your character, I think you'll like the game.

Do your actions affect the story?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Fvck does Cuno care?

@howmakewood said:

Text heavy, great player agency, some of the best writing you'll find in the medium

^

Yup, pretty much that.

Definitely enjoyed what I played, but could only take it in small doses. Which is more of a me problem, game seems great at what it does, I'm just not about that type of game anymore.

Would still recommend as it's arguably the best example of that type of game, definitely so in recent years. Like a for real role playing game, not just some padded out bundle of stats that we typically call a RPG.

And the writing is top class for its sub-genre, possibly the best. Which by broader gaming standards makes it unbelievably good.

Definitely give it a shot.

@xantufrog said:

People define gameplay in different ways - a lot of the emphasis I've seen around SW on controls and "gameplay" equating to responsiveness and "depth" of input options might flat out exclude point and click puzzle games like Myst as games at all, since they lack of that completely. Which is obviously absurd: the puzzling IS the game. It's just not for everyone. Likewise, games like this the Role Playing IS the game.

I'm sure some users are that closed off about what gameplay can be lol.

But I think a lot of that kind of talk stems from the kind of games that SW discusses. Which are largely mainstream action based games with the occasional side of a turn based joint. One could say... this is actually a casual gaming forum! :O lol

But in all seriousness I believe that is why the conversation tends to focus on action based mechanics. Don't see people lining to discuss pure puzzle games like Stephens Sausage Roll, Baba Is You, or puzzle lite games (classic adventure) like Machinarium, etc.

And obviously gameplay depth isn't limited to action based stuff, plenty of great discussion could be had about other game types.

Buuuut when most of the chatter on this forum is about the next big AAA thing, well? No time to talk games when Abby has muscles, CP has dick options, and Sushi Ghost is looking like Ubisofts take on Kurosawa, and PS5 renders triangles on a 9.2tf SSD.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

It's underground enough for people that don't like to read or the style of the game to fucks off somewhere else but great for those that either like or don't mind those things. Just the goldilocks principle in full effect. Compared to a game like Underrail which is just as wordy, (but in a good way) it still has a post apocalyptic theme that some people jump unto not knowing it's going to be wordy.

DE is a pretty good game though. I think of its merits as what CoD, Halo, C&C, The Witcher, TES, Diablo, Doom, Quake, etc, hell, even 90's isometric games like Fallout and Planescape, did to their respective genres. Some of the dialogue is weird though, like I'm either too stupid or it just feels like things weren't localized properly or something, like it shows that euro-jank in some places. Its definitely not for everyone though and those that like it I'd imagine are those that have wanted this for sometime like myself.

I'd say the main draw is how you can shape your character through the interactions, the skill allocation and NPC having dynamic conversations affecting other things as you go for example sometimes keeping things to yourself and not exhausting all dialogue options can be a good idea depending on what you want to achieve.

Only tip I can give is don't do everything evenly and don't go too high in some. Your, erm, personality changes if you do so for too long and don't get your coat back too early. Explore first.

@Willy105 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Like seriously WTF?!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic

@davillain-: lol, it's a joke

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

I was intrigued by the look and sound of the game initially myself and was going to pick up the console version myself but the more I look into this game and hear about it the more I think I’m just going to pass on it. Doesn’t seem like something that I’ll enjoy.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@ConanTheStoner: lol, that's true - Obra Dinn is another recent one that I remember a few folks did in fact bring up, but... didn't really get traction for discussion since it doesn't have a broader appeal

Also how did you understand what I wrote? I read my quote there and holy hell - barely English

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@xantufrog:

Ha, well it read clear enough to me man. Maybe SW has sharpened my deciphering skills 🕵️‍♂️. But yeah it's straight forward and spot on.

I was looking into Obra Dinn recently, might have been because of SW bringing it up. Same dude behind Papers Please, which was good fun.

I'm lazy, but we should task @SolidGame_basic with a new thread type in his rotation. A monthly spotlight on lesser known games, or at least games that don't fall into the typical SW AAA action obsession.

Sadpolar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sadpolar7
Member since 2016 • 108 Posts

Since you bought it maybe you can tell us if it’s any good? I’m curious about this one too.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: lol. Thanks for recommending me... Catherine Remake is an awesome game that I would recommend.. Btw, Obra Dinn is $15 on Steam right now..I would like to play it eventually.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts

I honestly don't think I have the patience anymore for reading games. May sound bad, but I use gaming to fill my down time. I want action baby.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: I loved obra dinn until the end game - maybe I'm just dense, but some of the puzzles became really hard and once I felt like I was randomly guessing that killed it for me a bit. The thing is, I believe, from carefully browsing message boards on it, every answer has a valid solution by deduction, so I guess it's just on me that I lost the thread a bit. Still, it's a really really unique sleuthing game, and I definitely would say give it a try for a price that feels right.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidGame_basic

@sadpolar7: lol. It will probably be a while. It won't be my main game. More of an in-between game.

@xantufrog: ooh. I don't like when games are too obtuse. I don't have much patience for those lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: it might piss you off then, lol. Unless I'm just really dense. It's a detective game, where you piece together fates and whodunnets from snapshots of their spirits' last moments. The web of "who could this be and how'd they die" can get pretty complicated, requiring clues not just from their last moment scene, but from others' fates and piecing the timeline together. With swashbuckling music and dialog, yeharg! Its super weird, interesting, challenging, and at times for me frustrating

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I love Disco Elysium. Fantastic game.

There are a lot of fun stats and unique role play ability. The game play is sort of a virtual novel meets old-school CRPG. It's very open about stats and requirements, and gives you different ways to approach each situation.

The main attraction here is the writing. So yeah you have to read a lot if you want to soak in the atmosphere. It's a very rewarding game if that's what you're looking for. The art and music add an immense amount to the presentation as well.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@davillain-: lol, it's a joke

Phwww, don't scare me like that😌

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I found it boring

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

It's excellent if you enjoy a good story and a lot of reading. It's not for everyone but for those who enjoy that kind of thing, there are few that do it better.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46222 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Can you direct me to the 20 bucks sale? :)

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:

@SolidGame_basic: Can you direct me to the 20 bucks sale? :)

I got it weeks ago during that Epic sale. I'm sure it will be $20 again soon. But if you want to play now, you can get it for $30 on Steam.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

I tell you what you wanted to hear when you made this thread: Yes, it's much more of a game than 'movie games'.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

Well it got some 10s. It better be damn good.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic

@Yams1980 said:

OP I was in same category as you. Thought it would be a good game for me, but its just a non linear point and click game with a lot of reading.

It does let you pick some funny things to say though, this can be entertaining when you pick really messed up things to say but the non stop text was too much for me also.

I'm sure I would have liked this game a lot more if it came out in the 90s when point and click games were everywhere but way too linear and shallow... this is that but open ended with the many different consequences you can end up with.

Damn.. my hopes are deflating even more lol.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19542 Posts

@jaydan: Citizen Kane is not an objectively "perfect" film.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@Jag85: You miss the point.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points