Is Demon's Soul's a system seller? (0 votes)

• 108 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Demon's Soul's a system seller? (0 votes) (129 votes)

Yes - it looks incredible! 33%
Not a system seller, but a really good launch title. 43%
It's just ok; above average at best. 6%
Not a system seller, nor a good launch title. 8%
I just don't care about this game. 11%

The original game came out more than 10 years ago and at the time it was a niche, but innovative title. It then lead to Dark Souls which started the whole Souls craze. I imagine a lot of people didn't play this game, but did play the subsequent Souls games. Remaking this game was an interesting choice, and as far as marketing the PS5, it was a great decision. Graphics look amazing and it's a remake of a game that we already know is great. And it gives Souls fans an opportunity to play the game that started it all. So I'm going to say this game IS a system seller. What about you, SW? Do you agree?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#1 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

PS 3 sold great for Demons Souls. PS 5 will sell more for Demons souls remaster. 3000 Cards will fly off the shelves if Demons souls comes to PC.

So, yeah Demons Souls is a ultimate system seller.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4041 Posts

It could contribute to being a system seller, no one game is with buying a console for.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 5005 Posts

Absolutely is one. Not only is everyone talking about it being a great game, and the game Dark Souls was based on (and everyone knows Dark Souls at this point), but the visuals will easily attract all the casuals. If this was another Fromsoft game with their shitty engine, i don't think it would be as attractive to normies.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 7766 Posts

I think it will sell quite a few consoles. The Souls games are still very popular.

That it no longer has FromSoftware's name on it might be a snag, but the new developers made the Shadow of the Colossus Remake, which I heard was pretty competently made.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hardwenzen

@madrocketeer said:

I think it will sell quite a few consoles. The Souls games are still very popular.

That it no longer has FromSoftware's name on it might be a snag, but the new developers made the Shadow of the Colossus Remake, which I heard was pretty competently made.

Why would that be the case? People in the know will know damn well the game was originally made by FROMSOFT, and those who don't, won't care who makes the game. There is absolutely no way that i could see a person who knows/plays the soulsborne series skipping this remake just because it says Bluepoint on the box.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2471 Posts

It has a different audience that would be good to entice at launch. Sometimes you just gotta know you gonna get the usual audience anyways why not get folks that are different. For example spiderman will outsell it easily but there are people that could care less for that game. Demon Souls excites them more. You have to build a big tent. Its a great launch title and very smart move from sony actually.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 45002 Posts

Not a system seller. Spiderman is system seller. Sony has curated a certain demographic of gamers and Demon Souls gamers are the least of them. Spiderman is going to move more units even as an expansion.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 9938 Posts

It sells the system for me.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 15827 Posts

I threw Demon's Souls away when I tried it on PS3, but I might jump back in. I think a lot of Souls players never played Demon's Souls and would probably want to try it, especially when it looks like it does.

netracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 netracing
Member since 2018 • 866 Posts

I know a few buying the PS5 on launch specifically for it, so I'd say for some it certainly is.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sakaiXx

@Pedro: bloodborne was played by at least 12million users and 600k people have 100% completion rate as reported in 2018. Not big as spidey of course but the genre can definitely move units.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3486 Posts

For souls fans it is. Most casual gamers don't play Souls games though. Most people I know never even played the original game and when they tried Dark Souls or Bloodborne, they found them too hard for their liking. It is the main game I want on the system and the original was my favorite game on the PS3. I enjoyed it more than any of the Dark Souls games, but I am waiting for a larger library before buying. It is a great game, but it alone is not enough for me to buy the system. Plus I will not pay $70 for a remake of a game I already played.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@sakaixx: This is not Bloodborne and Bloodborne was not released side by side with a Spiderman game.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By St_Monica
Member since 2020 • 197 Posts

I think Demon's Souls will play a similar role to Street Fighter V. Although SFV itself didn't sell explosively, it sent a powerful message to the fighting game community to choose PS4 over Xbox One. Similarly, Demon's Souls itself won't sell that much, but its presence sends a strong message to the Souls community to choose PS5 over Xbox Series S/X.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2045 Posts

Nope

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By madrocketeer
@hardwenzen said:

Why would that be the case? People in the know will know damn well the game was originally made by FROMSOFT, and those who don't, won't care who makes the game. There is absolutely no way that i could see a person who knows/plays the soulsborne series skipping this remake just because it says Bluepoint on the box.

At the end of the day, the only thing that could come close to being a guarantor of success is a quality product, well made. Word of mouth do ultimately affect sales, and FromSoftware are proven developers; they have become as much of a household name as the likes of Blizzard, Valve and CD Projekt Red. If it was FromSoftware at the helm, you would know you're going to get a good game.

In contrast, Bluepoint have decidedly leaner credentials. It is possible they could end up messing it up. Again, considering the job they did with Shadow of the Colossus, they probably won't, but it is still possible - certainly more likely than FromSoftware, anyway.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 1993 Posts

Not for me, no. There are some old IPs Sony could resurrect that would pique my interest. A reskinned Dark Souls isn't one of them.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9984 Posts

in not buying my PS5 because of it but many others are. I'll eventually buy it once a friend of mine gets a PS5 and can help show me the ropes.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 7198 Posts

This is a game you want to have if you get a PS5.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19583 Posts

For some , it will be.

For me personlly. I'm excited , but I don't need to be there day one . I can enjoy it anytime I pick up the system. It's not a story game I don't want spoiled or a multiplayer game I don't want to get behind on.

But it definitely helps to push me in the direction of early adoption.

Destruction AllStars is the wildcard right now because it's a multiplayer game. I might want to be there , but they haven't shown much of it yet. I obviously don't want Spider-Man Miles Morales spoiled , but I have a PS4 option if I decide not to get a PS5 this year.

If I get a PS5 this year , I'll likely be very happy. I'll have 4 first party games lined up to play , and possibly 5 with Destruction AllStars. I don't know about that one yet.

If I don't get a PS5 this year , I'll probably be ok with Spider-Man Miles Morales , Ghost of Tsushima Legends , and potentially Sackboy for PS4 after those. (but I can wait for the PS5 version , there's no rush)

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 46915 Posts

For me it is, but I was eventually getting a PS5 anyways.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 42768 Posts

Sell well, but no, not earth shattering sales.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 10408 Posts

@sakaixx: Where is that Bloodborne figure coming from? Not that rubbish website that tracks trophies I hope. Bloodborne was last reported to have sold over 2M by the end of 2015. 4 months after its release. If it had broken the 10M barrier, you can be sure From would have said so.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blamix
Member since 2006 • 1145 Posts

Demon Souls is the 2nd game im getting for the PS5

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13619 Posts

For me it is a system seller.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sakaiXx

@Juub1990: its directly from sony obviously. I don't cite dubious sites for my GoTG. Have some respect.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4035 Posts

It appears to be.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Juub1990
@sakaixx said:

@Juub1990: its directly from sony obviously. I don't cite dubious sites for my GoTG. Have some respect.

Can you please cite the source for 10M users? Never mind, found it. They extrapolated data based on 630K players getting the platinum.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22539 Posts

cows have nothing to play at launch so of course they have to vote yes.

but they are cows so theyd buy a playsytaion with absolutley anything.

i do the same with every nintendo console. i dont care what games it has. i want it.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 11329 Posts

Yeah I think this is a system seller. And if you like this, Bloodborne Remaster is coming too.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7048 Posts

Well yeah since the fucks went and made it exclusive. So yeah I'm gonna pay $500 to play one game.

Bloodborne better run better, Sony.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 3033 Posts

Looks good, but not a system seller.

If you've ever played Dark souls 3 on a good PC, then these graphics are nothing new really.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Juub1990
@appariti0n said:

If you've ever played Dark souls 3 on a good PC, then these graphics are nothing new really.

Wat? Dark Souls III on PC looks nowhere near that good.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 appariti0n

@Juub1990 said:
@appariti0n said:

Wat? Dark Souls III on PC looks nowhere near that good.

Right, but nothing near the upgrade one gets going from Demons souls on PS3 to this. The real upgrade here is getting 60 fps over 30, but again, that's nothing new if you've played DS3 on PC.

I agree based on the limited/subject to change footage I've seen so far for this remake looks nice, maybe even better than DS3 on PC, but it's not so astounding that I want to go buy a PS5.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

@madrocketeer said:
@hardwenzen said:

At the end of the day, the only thing that could come close to being a guarantor of success is a quality product, well made. Word of mouth do ultimately affect sales, and FromSoftware are proven developers; they have become as much of a household name as the likes of Blizzard, Valve and CD Projekt Red. If it was FromSoftware at the helm, you would know you're going to get a good game.

In contrast, Bluepoint have decidedly leaner credentials. It is possible they could end up messing it up. Again, considering the job they did with Shadow of the Colossus, they probably won't, but it is still possible - certainly more likely than FromSoftware, anyway.

I agree, and this applies to Bluepoint as well. I don't know about you, but i see the Demon's Souls Remake talk everywhere, and i am not talking about gaming forums. So lets just say that word of month marketing for this game is working perfectly.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hardwenzen

@appariti0n said:

You gotta be joking.

I have it on pc and the latest game from FROMSOFT, which is Sekiro. All maxed out, even with a nice reshader profile, the games look last gen af. Lighting and textures (and geometry) being complete garbage when compared to Demon's remake. They're not even in the same league lol. Don't know what the hell you're talking about. If you think that ANYTHING from fromsoft look anywhere near as good, you have never played their games. They're a top notch dev, but they're technically mongoloid at the same time lol

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By madrocketeer
@hardwenzen said:

I agree, and this applies to Bluepoint as well. I don't know about you, but i see the Demon's Souls Remake talk everywhere, and i am not talking about gaming forums. So lets just say that word of month marketing for this game is working perfectly.

Nah. Talking about the game is one thing; plenty of developers got plenty of people talking about their games. It's entirely another for people to start recognising the developers themselves, as if their very names are brands and seals of quality. That's what Valve, Blizzard, CD Projekt Red and FromSoftware have achieved.

I don't get the sense that Bluepoint are in the same league yet; up until Shadow of the Colossus, they've mostly been known for remasters.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen

@madrocketeer said:
@hardwenzen said:

Nah. Talking about the game is one thing; plenty of developers got plenty of people talking about their games. It's entirely another for people to start recognising the developers themselves, as if their very names are brands and seals of quality. That's what Valve, Blizzard, CD Projekt Red and FromSoftware have achieved.

I don't get the sense that Bluepoint are in the same league yet; up until Shadow of the Colossus, they've mostly been known for remasters.

Disagree. The normies that keep hearing about this game all over the social media will not give a damn about your seal of approval from Fromsoft. If the game looks good, has a lot of positive word of month all over the web, and then scores high (which it will, and that's guranteed), the fromsoft name on the box won't do anything to its sales.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sakaiXx

@appariti0n: really curious what you actually found in DS3 that screams top level visual.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By appariti0n

@sakaixx: I'm curious as to why you appear to be putting words in my mouth?

Where did I say DS3 is top level visual?

Edit: @Juub1990@sakaixx:

So I went and looked closer at the trailer in higher quality, and I think I may have been wrong with the DS3 comparison. It does look very nice actually. Not enough to get me to buy a PS5 though.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26171 Posts

It looks great, but it's not a system seller. For instance, I'll wait for the PC version rather than buying a PS5. If the PC version never comes, then I guess I'll have to buy a system, but at a much discounted price versus launch price.

So, shall we say, a discounted system seller? :P

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 3898 Posts

I'm not sure it's a system seller, but I do think it's going to sway a few people who weren't totally on board with a day one purchase.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By madrocketeer
@hardwenzen said:

Disagree. The normies that keep hearing about this game all over the social media will not give a damn about your seal of approval from Fromsoft. If the game looks good, has a lot of positive word of month all over the web, and then scores high (which it will, and that's guranteed), the fromsoft name on the box won't do anything to its sales.

That's the thing; it is likely to review well, but it's NOT guaranteed. In contrast, it would be guaranteed if FromSoftware was making it. Again, FromSoftware has proven track record, Bluepoint does not, so there is still a higher likelihood of them messing up the game than FromSoftware.

Sure, standard marketing cycle will get you far, but respected brand-name developers have an extra difference, one that few manage to attain but all crave. It is the difference that turns a RTS into a multi-million seller in an era where the genre was already on life support. It is the difference that turns usually niche first-person puzzle or VR game into Steam best-sellers. It is the difference that turns a RPG series based on some obscure Polish novels into multi-million selling franchise. It is the difference that turns what, in the hands of any other developer, probably would have been widely dismissed as an Assassin's Creed clone with some Dark Souls sprinkled over into the 2019 TGA Game of the Year.

You see, this was Apple's secret. Every new Apple product would first be raved over by their inner circle of knowledgeable "hardcores," who then gives the thumbs up and a green light to everyone else to jump in. These brand-name developers work in a similar way. This difference exists, it does have a significant effect, and it is hard to replicate.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 19825 Posts

Yup.

It's not gonna be that one "must have" killer app, but it's definitely a feather their cap kicking off the gen. For many it will be the direct reason they buy the PS5, for others, will help tilt the scale.

Aside from luring in Souls fans who have or haven't played the OG, probably pull in new players as well. Between the nice visuals and (likely) being one of the better games among the small pack of launch titles, more new players will have incentive to give it a go.

Might benefit the Souls series more so than the PS5, but either way I see it doing well. Barring some major **** up obviously.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57388 Posts

I think so... Definitely not as big as other titles in Sony's potential arsenal, but this is the game that started the Souls-like craze. It'll be a definite purchase early 2021, if we don't hear anything else about the PC release 😉

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 7984 Posts

@Pedro said:

Not a system seller. Spiderman is system seller. Sony has curated a certain demographic of gamers and Demon Souls gamers are the least of them. Spiderman is going to move more units even as an expansion.

This is a system seller. I bought PS4 for bloodborne. I'm buying ps5 for demon souls. If demon souls wasn't there I wouldn't be buying therefore it is a system seller.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@ProtossRushX said:
@Pedro said:

This is a system seller. I bought PS4 for bloodborne. I'm buying ps5 for demon souls. If demon souls wasn't there I wouldn't be buying therefore it is a system seller.

Corrected.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 9513 Posts

Definitely a system seller. This is becoming one of the most talked about PS5 exclusives yet. The visuals are stunning. If this isn't a must have, I don't know what is.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 7984 Posts

@Pedro said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@Pedro said:

Corrected.

Re-Corrected

Damn dude owned. Its not a system seller yet it sold me the system. /shrugs.

You can't make this stuff up boys. You see when you're a real gamer like me who actually beats games. Facts tell a different story.

If bloodborne wasn't there I wouldn't have bought PS4 therefore it is a system seller to some people regardless what this poll says it sold system and did that.

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 383 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:
@Pedro said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@Pedro said:

Corrected.

Re-Corrected

Damn dude owned. Its not a system seller yet it sold me the system. /shrugs.

How come you always run away and cry in the corner when people ask for your Xbox profile? You so freely post your Playstation profile but not your Xbox; yet you write "I'm an Xbox guy" lmfao