Is Crash Bandicoot Trilogy the Dark Souls of platformers?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

It seems like the game has developed a reputation as very challenging, requiring precise jumps and movements. Some game reviewers see this as a design flaw, a product of the times. Regardless, the game is doing well. It seems like people are willing to look past some of the archaic level design, and still take the challenge. Your thoughts, SW? Do you think the gamers of today will continue playing it?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Not every difficulty is a worthy challenge.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#3 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

I reckon you can find alot of challenging platformers though.

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, Super Meat Boy, Wings of Vi all come to mind.

Also I didn't grow up with Crash, I don't particularly have any interest in it so I won't be playing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

A lot of the difficulty from the Crash games come from problems with the design. The N' Sane Trilogy compounds the issue by changing the jump mechanic in a way that it feels inherently at odds with the original design of Cortex Strikes Back and the original game. Simple jump? Nope, you didn't build up enough momentum to get across. Sometimes getting too close to an enemy or Nitro crate can get you killed even if you didn't actually touch them.

Then there's the depth problem again. It looks like you're going to make an easy 2D jump, but it turns out you weren't properly aligned with the platform beforehand and fall to your death. It's an issue that isn't too often, but can make some of the platforming really frustrating because it's a poorly done mishmash of 2D camera perspective and 3D platforms.

If I were to think of a game that is difficult in a good way, I would think of Super Meat Boy. Haven't played it yet, but I've seen enough to know it's difficult in a way that's fair.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

"The Dark Souls of <insert word here>" needs to stop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58904 Posts

@Basinboy said:

"The Dark Souls of <insert word here>" needs to stop

Yea, even punted on Steam store pages now.

Difficulty = Darksouls

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

No, it's not that hard and it's difficulty feels frustrating rather than fair. I'd rather get curbstomped in DS due to my own mistakes than fail another Crash jump because of camera/perspective.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

It seems like the game has developed a reputation as very challenging, requiring precise jumps and movements. Some game reviewers see this as a design flaw, a product of the times. Regardless, the game is doing well. It seems like people are willing to look past some of the archaic level design, and still take the challenge. Your thoughts, SW? Do you think the gamers of today will continue playing it?

it's as if this is only exclusive to Crash and no other platformer

TBH tho i think the remakes are kind of fucked compared to the originals. They messed up and thats why people are having trouble.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@jcrame10: Very few of the contemporary platformers have precision platforming that only has one route of success. Most of them either give you some wiggle room or alternative route through a platforming problem.

You can look at something like DKCR Tropical Freeze and the Kong Levels - those require some pretty precise execution but even they have variable outcomes and I think that really is the difference.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

It seems like the game has developed a reputation as very challenging, requiring precise jumps and movements.

I suggest you play Dustforce if you really want a game that actually requires frame-perfect jumps and movements.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@jumpaction said:

@jcrame10: Very few of the contemporary platformers have precision platforming that only has one route of success. Most of them either give you some wiggle room or alternative route through a platforming problem.

You can look at something like DKCR Tropical Freeze and the Kong Levels - those require some pretty precise execution but even they have variable outcomes and I think that really is the difference.

old school platformers at the time crash was relevant (sonic, donkey kong country, mario) all required precision timing

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I think Super Meat Boy deserves that title more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Don't think DS is a product of bad game design.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46241 Posts

The Donkey Kong Country hidden levels are some of the hardest I've ever played.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@jcrame10: Super Mario and Sonic really don't require a huge amount of precision.

Much of the challenges don't require the absolute apex of Mario or Sonic's jump so the timing doesn't need to be as exact as in something like Rayman 1 or Crash 1. Mario and Sonic have variable jump heights but little to none of the platforming challenges require absolute precision. They both have plenty of room to allow for some error.

More so at the time Crash was relevant when you had things like Super Mario 64 which was explicitly designed to offer plenty of room for error.

“In earlier Mario games, we were able to measure the number of pixels Mario could jump and know exactly what was possible. But this time, we had to design the levels so that as long as your jump was “close enough,” you’d make it; it was too hard for the player to judge. This was a design change we made in the middle of the development, when the game was far already very complete. There was a lot of booing from the staff.” - Shigeru Miyamoto

Usually, the games that required absolute precision were glaring because of it.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

The hitboxes are horrible in Crash 1 remastered that's for sure.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#17 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

It's not the "Dark Souls of" anything. It's a product of its time. Games back then were more difficult than games today. Over the generations, games have gradually been getting easier. That's what makes Dark Souls stand out, because it harkens back to an earlier time when games were more difficult.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

If i could finish all 3 games when i was 10 or less ... then new generation is really spoiled ( aside the ones playing rogues/dark souls etc which are few ). Everyone wants everything to be easy nowdays... mmorpgs, Fps etc .. everything. When a game gives a challenge without telling you beforehand like dark souls or rogues = crap. Pfff.

Take the challenge you noobs and beat the games and stop crying ( for the critics crying over silly things like a bit more difficulty than expected ).

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@Sam3231: Well said. Super Meat Boy is more challenging than most platformers and Ori is no piece of cake either.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#20  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

To me, Crash Bandicoot will always be Sony's original Mario. In that essence, you HAVE TO look past its archaic design because that's the whole point of it. That's like blaming Super Mario Brothers for being too basic and dated. A blast from the past should always be a blast from the past! Not a dash of the past with a modern spin! The critics are seeing this too much from the current generation's eyes and not from the old fans. That leaves out what it really has to offer which is nostalgic platforming at its most refined.

Rmsbasto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rmsbasto
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

No. The game has a good balance of challenge and enjoyment. Super Meat Boy is far more frustrating (but it still is a fantastic game imo).