Is console 'next-gen' again holding back PC gaming?

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I think it is. My PC is powered by a eight core 4.2GHz FX 8350 and a 4.9TF R9-290 video card. The console CPUs are much less capable than my CPU and their video card are immeasurably weaker (XBO 1.2 and PS4 1.8 teraflops). Most developers out there are building games with the consoles capability in mind ... not what PCs are capable of. It's making me feel shafted because of lame-arse "next-gen" games COULD look a lot better if they were developed for top-spec PCs in mind ... and then downscale for the consoles.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

It devs themselves, holding themselves back when they choose to develop on consoles first..instead of pc. :p

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#3 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@Kjranu: Consoles have reached 2011 with the PS4

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

The x1 and PS4 have only been out for 4 months, and a bunch of the big name games are cross-gen games. Give it some time. It looks like the Witcher 3 will be pushing hardware pretty hard

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

@Kjranu said:

I think it is. My PC is powered by a eight core 4.2GHz FX 8350 and a 4.9TF R9-290 video card. The console CPUs are much less capable than my CPU and their video card are immeasurably weaker (XBO 1.2 and PS4 1.8 teraflops). Most developers out there are building games with the consoles capability in mind ... not what PCs are capable of. It's making me feel shafted because of lame-arse "next-gen" games COULD look a lot better if they were developed for top-spec PCs in mind ... and then downscale for the consoles.

CD Projekt Red won't do that. You can be sure that Witcher 3 will destroy your system, when all the bells & whistles are on show.

But yes, the PS4 is very weak compared to the Xbox 360 at release (in comparison to PC hardware of the time).

But yeah, I look at the PS4/X1, and I think... This thing can't handle high quality AA & tessellation NOW? How is it going to cope in 5 years time? It will be interesting to see how Crysis 3 holds up to the PS4's exclusive titles in a few years time.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I think it's the hardware defelopers. Personally, they should try to find more cost-effective ways to manufacture their stuff so that it's cheaper to build gaming PCs,

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

*shakes head* such a stupid concept, and argument.

The only people holding back PC games are PC gamers whom refuse to buy unlocked 1k dollar i7's and setup nvidia titans in 4 way sli...etc...etc Basically PC Gamers are holding the PC gaming back by not buying 2k dollar systems.

Also of note the best selling PC game Minecraft, and other low system requirement games which are more powerful on the pc than high end system needed games.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Not anymore than people who game on laptops with integrated graphics.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Last gen consoles are, they're also holding back the current consoles. Once we start getting games coming out that are actually made for new-ish tech instead of games that still need to scale for shit 8 year old hardware THEN we'll be seeing PC improving massively alongside the consoles.

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

@Kjranu: No.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No

Ripsaw1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Ripsaw1994
Member since 2013 • 196 Posts

@leandrro: That's generous

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

No. My GTX 560 Ti and my GTX 660m are holding back gaming, at least for me. On the bright side, I'm getting my money's worth with those two the longer I don't buy a new GPU.

It's been tough resisting the itch though. Ha ha!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

That's why I stick with mid-range video cards. They have more than enough juice to power current games and just enough for later games. I may have to settle for a notch below max or use a slightly lower res near the end. But, at half the price (or lesser) of a top-end card, I'm not bound to complain whether the price I paid was worth it or not.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@teuf_ said:

Not anymore than people who game on laptops with integrated graphics.

*twitches* eeeeeew laptops with integrated graphics.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

I don't think these consoles are holding pc games back that much because their hardware is more alike PCs this time around. Many games could very well have pc as lead platform and then be scaled down to run on the consoles. They could even in the be dumbed down with less AI and less physics if necessary.
Just look at Battlefield 3 from 2011 a great example of a game that runs and looks great on pc and then was scaled and dumbed down (smaller maps, fewer players etc) to run on ps3/360.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Nope they are bringing in the dough.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Pc gaming, once again, holding itself back, by not producing games herms want, so back to begging for console ports.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58835 Posts

My friends next generation brought great innovations. Such as higher priced games. A free2play price shot on top of a fully priced retail game. And Titanfall, which has mechs and jetpacks from Tribes. The future is very bright.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

Pc gaming, once again, holding itself back, by not producing games herms want, so back to begging for console ports.

Cows finally tasting 1080P,late by about 10 years

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Keep on beggin'. :)

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/rockstar-release-gta-v-on-pc

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/13/dark-souls-pc-petition-at-nearly-70000-signatures-namco-listening/

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dragonsdogma-pc/

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/release-destiny-on-pc

http://www.change.org/petitions/rock-star-games-bring-red-dead-redemption-on-pc

http://www.change.org/petitions/konami-release-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-on-pc

http://www.change.org/petitions/naughty-dog-the-last-of-us-we-want-the-last-of-us-to-come-to-pc

https://www.change.org/petitions/sega-increase-the-number-of-pc-releases-segapcports

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

sure. sounds good.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Of course it is. With a tablet CPU and GPU equivalent to 570. The so called next gen consoles finally matched the mid range PC hardware. It's a shame that a 2011 game is still shitting on these 'Next-Gen' consoles and looks like it will remain that way. But the good news is Sony is about to bankrupt, MS to can the Xbox and Nintendo will drop out of home consoles.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Pc gaming is holding pc gaming back. Most pc gamers dont even have pcs equal to the new consoles. There is nothing stopping devs from making demanding pc exclusives, many just do not see the benefit. I mean iy scaresndevs when you look at some of the mostn respected pc games get pirated over and over.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I couldn't give a shit one way or the other.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The next gen consoles also delivered plagues unto our crops, poisoned our water supply and burned down our houses.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

No.

Most PC gamers would rather not not spend money every year to play all the latest games. I'm glad devs cater to that mindset. I've had my current PC for nearly 4 years, and still have no really reason to upgrade. I can play 99.9% of games getting released flawlessly.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#28 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Blame the developers.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#29 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Its not our fault that there is no PC game that beats shadow fall. Its PC devs fault for not being good.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

i think its going to be easier for developers to build high and scale back this gen that it was last gen. last gen the PC and 2 consoles had little in common. developer had to build 3 different systems for many parts of the game so that the PS3, 360 and PC were accomodated. that would also mean more testing.

now its going to be easier for them to build a high end version and tweak and cut as needed to make it work on consoles and mid to lower level PCs. once the 360 and PS3 support is scrapped developers will be able to do a lot to streamline the whole process i think. there will always be some things that cant be cut and may be held back by consoles in the future (physics in a racing sim for example or doing things like making a really big level for the PC version and dividing it up into smaller levels for the console version.)

but i think we wont have the stall in tech this gen that we had last gen. developers can essentially start planning for the PS5 and X2 now and a lot of what they develop for the PC version in future will be usable on the next consoles. more of the optimisations made for the console versions of the game may also feed back into the PC version which would also be nice (as long as its not the "axe" type of optimisation).

....unless MS and sony decide not to use more off the shelf parts next gen. that would be a silly thing to do though.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Engines are built to be scaleable. The gulf between next gen consoles and PC isn't so large that the vast majority of games couldn't be scaled down somewhat to work on the consoles, especially when you consider that the majority of PC games are also designed to be played on mid-range hardware as well as the super high end stuff. Games like Arma 3 COULD be on consoles if Bohemia decided to rework its engine so that it actually takes advantage of numerous CPU cores (I use Arma3 because it's generally touted as a game that consoles couldn't handle--the problem though is that the reason they couldn't handle it has everything to do with Bohemia shitty, unoptimized engine and less to do with the game itself).

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Nope. Devs are catering for the largest group of users. What I do love is the scalablitiy of some games. Sure I run the latest and greatest hardware but I can still play games with my buddy who has a shitty integrated graphics laptop.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

Since many pc games have so much scalability I don't think these consoles will hold new games back that much, even AI and physics could be scaled down if their CPUs prove to be to weak, and not just the graphics which is already being scaled down in the console versions.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#34  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Nah, I don't think so. Games are usually really scalable these days to support a wider range of hardware specs (Prefferably mid-range). The devs are whats holding it back, with good reason I believe. Thats not to say that the PC versions of the games don't offer their own bells high-end whistles. Win-win

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

Everything is holding back PC gaming. The weather, Obama, Flappy Bird, the Illuminati, everyone..

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

*shakes head* such a stupid concept, and argument.

The only people holding back PC games are PC gamers whom refuse to buy unlocked 1k dollar i7's and setup nvidia titans in 4 way sli...etc...etc Basically PC Gamers are holding the PC gaming back by not buying 2k dollar systems.

Also of note the best selling PC game Minecraft, and other low system requirement games which are more powerful on the pc than high end system needed games.

You ever stop to think...and then never start again?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Honestly, I couldn't care less. It just makes my PC take a whole lot long to become obsolete and need upgraded, which in turn saves me money. I already find PC gaming to be a lot cheaper than console gaming and this does nothing more than make it even cheaper for me. All win win for me. Not a negative in sight.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

PC gaming actually progresses because of next gen consoles. Check out this AC4 next gen tech video for example and compare it to AC3 PC tech video. PC graphics card from 2012 were fully capable of next gen features found in AC4 Black Flag so why did devs not include those in PC version of AC3? Obviously Devs/Publishers think it's not worth putting extra effort just for PC version. Hermits should be thankful because of next gen consoles their expensive GPUs are getting some good use but still a lot of PC GPU potential is being wasted because devs don't care much about PC.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

stop pirating games ? maybe it's your own fault ? and lol @you spending so much money for nothing

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

No.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

No.

The potential of the new consoles are still much higher than that of the average PC gamer's PC.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Keep on beggin'. :)

Keep on beating a dead horse.....

The vast majority consolers tend to be followers not leaders. Even so how about the petitions to keep GTA 5 off PC? which is low and very dumb..... Just because some want a selection of games to be brought to pc does not mean its begging or pc gamers in general are beggars. It means that some want to experience these unique games whether or not its based on not having a console to play them on to just wanting to experience the games with better control and graphical options.

Just because you think these petitions are proof that PC does not have good games that some have to petition to get them ported over thinking that its begging is very narrow sighted and a poor attempt to prove pc has not games.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

There is no doubt the xbox1 does hold back not only pc gaming but also PS4 multiplats, as the xbox1 is the weakest system out of the multiplat bunch.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

It was never the power difference that generated the endless sea of dumbed down shit games or crippled IP that was good before, it was and still is the developers knowing the sheep will buy mediocrity and sellling out by rehashing games.

There's barely any good complexity(not complex for the sake of it/detriment to learning curve) any more.

Age of Empires II has more functionality then most RTS made after it. You can save and load multiplayer games.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

They're not holding back PC focused devs (Star Citizen etc.) so that's one good thing.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@ShadowDeathX said:

No.

The potential of the new consoles are still much higher than that of the average PC gamer's PC.

Do tell what the average PC gamer's PC is?.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

@Snugenz said:

@ShadowDeathX said:

No.

Do tell what the average PC gamer's PC is?.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

PC gamers is holding PC back by not get better hardware or/and not buy the games.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@Kjranu said:

Most of those games you're referring to wouldn't even been made if not for consoles driving sales up. Consoles are like the bee you need us but we don't need you.