Is Breath of the Wild the best game of the generation?

• 143 results
Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts
@BassMan said:
@briguyb13 said:
@BassMan said:
@briguyb13 said:

Totally agree. I hate being labeled a "lemming" when I speak favorably about Xbox One X or a Microsoft game, or a "sheep" when I talk about Nintendo etc.

iirc, people used to vote on things for change around here. We really need to vote away those childish labels altogether so real discussion and dialog can happen here.

I think you are better suited for Games Discussion or some other forum. System Wars is silly by its very nature. Your expectations/desires of this place do not match what it is.

Anyway... The Witcher 3 on PC is the best game of this generation.

This place is a ghost town, so I don't think you or anyone else would want to discourage healthy activity. Plus I'm sick of posters like you, who fanboy it up like a child, telling me that if I don't behave like a juvenile or jackass to go somewhere else.

I'm not. We as a community can do better, and it's on the mods to start this change. Just like society is now in the middle of a much-needed reform, this place would do well to attempt a growing change as well.

Again, you are hanging with the wrong crowd. There are other social groups out there where you would better fit in. System Wars is not going to change for you. Conform to it or GTFO.

Eat shit I'll do as I please here, fanboy.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#52  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

It is up there, but there are games I enjoyed more such as Bloodborne, Spiderman, Super Mario Odyssey, Smash Bros., and Witcher 3. It is definitely an excellent game for sure though. Easily in my top 10.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#53 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@briguyb13 said:
@BassMan said:
@briguyb13 said:
@BassMan said:
@briguyb13 said:

Totally agree. I hate being labeled a "lemming" when I speak favorably about Xbox One X or a Microsoft game, or a "sheep" when I talk about Nintendo etc.

iirc, people used to vote on things for change around here. We really need to vote away those childish labels altogether so real discussion and dialog can happen here.

I think you are better suited for Games Discussion or some other forum. System Wars is silly by its very nature. Your expectations/desires of this place do not match what it is.

This place is a ghost town, so I don't think you or anyone else would want to discourage healthy activity. Plus I'm sick of posters like you, who fanboy it up like a child, telling me that if I don't behave like a juvenile or jackass to go somewhere else.

I'm not. We as a community can do better, and it's on the mods to start this change. Just like society is now in the middle of a much-needed reform, this place would do well to attempt a growing change as well.

Again, you are hanging with the wrong crowd. There are other social groups out there where you would better fit in. System Wars is not going to change for you. Conform to it or GTFO.

Eat shit I'll do as I please here, fanboy.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

For me, hell yes.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#55 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

No obviously. Its a great game but there is better game existed.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

There are only great games, no greatest.

Yup.

I definitely enjoyed it a lot and plan to play it again soon. Lots of great games this gen and I'd consider it one of them.

But yeah, too many games that excel in different areas and appeal to different criteria.

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Rain is a joke and adds NO depth to the game. Simply a nuisance.

Hmm. Fair if you don't like it, but this is false.

It adds non-redundant options to the possibility space. That's a textbook example of adding depth to a game.

And can't boil it down to "simply a nuisance". Some of its affects are indeed a burden while other affects can benefit the player. It's a two way street.

Rain just serves as another layer, adding twists on various systems. Temporarily opening some options, closing others, leading to different avenues for decision making.

I'll assume you don't like its affect on climbing, or how lightning strikes down metallic equipment? Absolutely fair if so.

On the flip side though, the metallic equipment drawing lightning can be turned into an advantage in combat and traversal. In combat, turning the same logic on your enemies and in traversal, causing updraft from burning brush. Likewise, your electric weapons get an AOE bonus in rainy weather, making them a more viable option.

On a similar note, fire becomes a non option for the player, but this also carries over to enemies.

Shield surfing gets a noticeable bonus from wet grass.

Rain causes puddles, allowing for use of Cryonis in areas where it's typically not an option.

Rain adds ambient sound, allowing for easier success in sneaking scenarios.

Then of course you have plants and animals that are more plentiful in the rain and some plants that only bloom when it rains.

I'm not some BotW super fan and haven't played in forever. Could be things I'm missing.

/Facts.

---

As for the degree of depth it adds, debatable. And whether or not you like those design choices, absolutely subjective.

Personally, I'm glad that rain is a system rather than simply a cosmetic. Won't pretend I haven't been frustrated by it. When you have a direct goal and suddenly you can't climb exactly when and where you need to, can be annoying. But generally I appreciate the twists and there were times it steered me off on a completely different adventure unexpectedly. Which I feel aligns with the core of what makes BotW so enjoyable to many.

Aside from that, between your own skills and the game offering new equipment and skills as you progress, rain hindering your traversal becomes less of an issue.

I feel it's a valid and enjoyable design choice, but it's absolutely understandable if you feel differently.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@briguyb13 said:
@npiet1 said:
@briguyb13 said:
@jaydan said:
@madsnakehhh said:

@jaydan: Agree ... but this is kind of the SW meta game, where we all should be a little bit (or a lot, depending) "fanboy".

And it shows the SW meta is bullshit and none of us here actually go by it.

If your butt hurt about being called names in a forum with the word "Wars" in the heading, maybe it isn't for you.

Stop being a child. It's System Wars, not fanboy wars.

Stop being foolish. Where do you think you are?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@npiet1 said:
@briguyb13 said:

Stop being a child. It's System Wars, not fanboy wars.

A dead forum that could drastically improve with more posters. Just being here doesn't entitle one to act like an idiot over some piece of plastic. Removing the outdated fanboy labels would improve traffic and bolster the community.

No need to remove the "wars" part of this place, just the idiotic and nonsensical labels that are in fact part of a fanboy war, which supposedly isn't allowed here.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#59 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@npiet1: It is the system wars and not fanboy wars. Threads are locked for fanboy wars. Where do you think you are?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

It's kind of ironic that a majority of the better posters' here are from GGD, a board that is totally dead, unlike this place that is just semi-dead.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Pedro

@briguyb13 said:

It's kind of ironic that a majority of the better posters' here are from GGD, a board that is totally dead, unlike this place that is just semi-dead.

I moved here a while back because GGD was abandoned.😥

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Woah, super informative post. I learned a lot from this haha, cheers! :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@Pedro said:
@briguyb13 said:

I moved here a while back because GGD was abandoned.😥

Yep. Seems you also don't subscribe to the cringey and outdated fanboy terms either, as far as I can tell. I wonder how old those terms are now?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Pedro

@briguyb13 said:

Yep. Seems you also don't subscribe to the cringey and outdated fanboy terms either, as far as I can tell. I wonder how old those terms are now?

I typically limit myself to Sony/Nintendo/Xbox fannies. LOL. I have no idea how old the terms on this forum are, nor do I know how PlayStation fanboys became cows or Xbox fanboys became lemmings. Sheep makes more sense, since its used a a general term for followers.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ConanTheStoner

Funny part is, those labels were put in place as a means of replacing more derogatory fanboy labels. Sure it's dumb. I think everyone thinks to themselves wtf when they're introduced to the cow, lem, hermit, sheep shit... I know I did. But people are gonna find ways to label each other fanboys regardless.

Anyways, I don't really see this forum turning around or reinventing itself. Would be nice if we could roll things back to how they were just a few years ago. When there was an actual limit to how much of a shit poster you could be. Not gonna cry about trolls and shit posters, every gaming forum has them. And sometimes they're entertaining. But the amount of threads that get disrupted or outright derailed over the same old tired ass shticks is beyond absurd at this point.

That being said, not even sure what mods could do about it now. I think we're way past the point of cleaning up the boards as a means to bring in more users. Would probably just accelerate this boards death if anything.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ConanTheStoner
@mandzilla said:

@ConanTheStoner: Woah, super informative post. I learned a lot from this haha, cheers! :D

Fo sho!

Probably more to it, that's just what I know. Pretty amazing to see some of the things people are still figuring out in BotW.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

@briguyb13 said:
@BassMan said:
@briguyb13 said:

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@Pedro said:
@briguyb13 said:

I typically limit myself to Sony/Nintendo/Xbox fannies. LOL. I have no idea how old the terms on this forum are, nor do I know how PlayStation fanboys became cows or Xbox fanboys became lemmings. Sheep makes more sense, since its used a a general term for followers.

From my understanding, the breakdown:

Cows: Because Sony milks their fanbase

Sheep: Follow whatever trend or gimmick Nintendo supplies

Lemmings: They run off the cliff with Microsoft

It's all dumb terminology at the end of the day.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@briguyb13: @Pedro:

I didn't start visiting this board until late 2004, but wanna say those terms originated in 2003? Pretty sure I heard that once.

And yeah, they were just meant to be different ways to label followers.

Sheep being obvious herd mentality. Cows being milked by Sony. Lems following others off a cliff... hermits idk, always assumed a jab at shut in basement dweller types.

But either way, dumb as they are, made much more sense back then. The rigid meta game, people proudly being members of a fanboy faction. Way less individual thought, more just brand loyalty and rules of the game. I think most importantly, the average user was so much younger. A lot of these people signed up 10, 15, 20 years ago. So yeah in hindsight it all seems especially silly.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Archangel3371

I am also one of those who have moved here from the Games Discussion board because there just wasn’t enough traffic there, aside from the spammers of course. 😅

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By jaydan

Since we're all announcing our whereabouts and how we got here: I used to be an OT guy. Won a few OTcars back in the day, had my 10k party. Modded a couple unions. Swung around SW and GGD.

Guess I was pretty well-versed around this site. It's a shame most of the activity has been consolidated to SW these days.

Oh - and oh yeah, I forgot this was a BotW thread.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ConanTheStoner

@jaydan:

Ha, nice. I'd lurk OT a bit, but probably have less than 50 posts there over the years.

Yeah might as well. I mainly stuck to platform and game specific boards. I was gaming on everything at the time, guess I always have, but I had some slightly fanboyish leanings back then.

Mods told me to take that shit to SW. And I was like wtf, how dare you lol. Didn't know much about SW, heard it was the armpit of gaming forums, and thought I was above it.

Then I got hooked and it became my main gaming forum since late 2004.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@mandzilla said:

Fo sho!

Probably more to it, that's just what I know. Pretty amazing to see some of the things people are still figuring out in BotW.

It really is! Quite a testiment to the depth of the game that people are still able to discover new stuff to this day, evidently I've only really scratched the surface myself. Really need to get back into playing it once I'm done with Fire Emblem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@ConanTheStoner wow, almost two decades old and the more rabid and frothy single system clowns are still fighting to keep that antiquated shat? lol

@Archangel3371 Thanks.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 jaydan

@ConanTheStoner said:

@jaydan:

Ha, nice. I'd lurk OT a bit, but probably have less than 50 posts there over the years.

Yeah might as well. I mainly stuck to platform and game specific boards. I was gaming on everything at the time, guess I always have, but I had some slightly fanboyish leanings back then.

Mods told me to take that shit to SW. And I was like wtf, how dare you lol. Didn't know much about SW, heard it was the armpit of gaming forums, and thought I was above it.

Then I got hooked and it became my main gaming forum since late 2004.

It used to be a party over at OT. I would say it used to be the most active forum on this site - and then that fateful April Fool's joke and everyone disbanded. That was around the time I left this site for so many years before coming back, but I didn't leave for that reason. It was more like when all your friends here ditched this place, there was no longer incentive to be here.

I told myself back then I was done with Gamespot, but so many years later I made the account I use now. Didn't really intend to dive back in here, but I dunno. Started posting again and here I am.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Archangel3371

@briguyb13: No problem.

Back to Breath of the Wild, yeah there’s definitely a ton of cool and fun things you can do in the game. Seen some people do some really interesting stuff. As great as the game is on Normal I enjoyed it on Master Mode even more. It’s a real testament to quality game design.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

I think there is a good argument for BOTW to take that place this gen. However, I would also say that there are a few other games that deserve it just as much if not more.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

It’s not even the best Zelda game

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@locopatho said:
@davillain- said:

Breath of the Wild is a good game but Ocarina of Time is still legendary. Also, playing Breath of the Wild on PC is the way to go ;)

I'm always told this and yet whenever I look into playing Nintendo games on PC, it's always "partially compatible" with a laundry list of flaws and bugs and issues. Legal issues aside, I don't think dodgy emulators are the best way to play Nintendo games (except for the older systems, where they've managed pretty much perfect compatability)

I only did it for 60fps higher framerates and playing Breath of the Wild really made the gameplay smooth and enjoyable. If the Switch somehow offers to play BoTW in 60fps, this wouldn't be a problem.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ConanTheStoner
@briguyb13 said:

@ConanTheStoner wow, almost two decades old and the more rabid and frothy single system clowns are still fighting to keep that antiquated shat? lol

Ha, right. I get that some of it is just holdovers from way back. Just like hype vs flop and other metagame related shit. No longer central to what the forum is, just habit.

I still catch myself on that shit sometimes.

Not to act like a gatekeeper on some stupid forum shit, but it's especially weird when relatively newer users cling to the old forum slang. It's like yo, you weren't even around for that dumb shit, so wtf?

Otherwise it's like a bunch of zombies, going through the motions of their previous lives.

@jaydan said:

It used to be a party over at OT. I would say it used to be the most active forum on this site - and then that fateful April Fool's joke and everyone disbanded. That was around the time I left this site for so many years before coming back, but I didn't leave for that reason. It was more like when all your friends here ditched this place, there was no longer incentive to be here.

I told myself back then I was done with Gamespot, but so many years later I made the account I use now. Didn't really intend to dive back in here, but I dunno. Started posting again and here I am.

Oh I feel ya, I bounced back then for the same reasons. Visited way later and even though it wasn't the same, saw a few familiar faces and got back in.

Been an on and off relationship with these forums since. Sometimes you just mean to dip your toes back in and say sup to a few ppl, next thing you know you're posting every day.

And yeah OT was definitely one of the top spots, was always like a rivalry between OT and SW lol. Kinda surprising that SW outlived it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ConanTheStoner
@jcrame10 said:

It’s not even the best Zelda game

Eh. I think with some series it's easy to make that objective call between its entries. Zelda, not so much.

Personally, I feel BotW is without a doubt the best 3d Zelda game. And even bringing 2d Zelda into the equation, could still make a strong argument for BotW.

While some aspects can be directly compared, a lot of them simply can't. Becomes a matter of your criteria, right. The same things that some people absolutely love about BotW are the very same things that some people hate about it.

It's a weird one in that even though it's the closest Zelda has been to its roots, it's the furthest thing from the typical formula the series has been following since LttP.

Anyways, it's certainly not without its flaws. But I'd rather see them refine and evolve this formula than ever go back to the previous 3d Zelda style.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#82 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Maybe? Haven't played it yet. Don't have any nostalgia for Zelda, too. I'm waiting for Switch 2.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 npiet1

@Pedro: the internet.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Pedro
@npiet1 said:

@npiet1 said:

You have answered your own question. 😂

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

It's pretty great, I played it recently to try out the dlc material.

That said though it has problems, I can't say it's my favorite Zelda or GOTG, and frankly it's not even my favorite game even from 2017. My personal GOTY that year is Nier Automata.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#86 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'd say BotW, FF7 Remake, GoW 2018, RDR2 and the possibilities of GoT and 2077 being all contenders of best game of this generation

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 npiet1

@Pedro said:
@npiet1 said:

@npiet1 said:

You have answered your own question. 😂

Yeah and if you can handle even being called a lem or what ever, hop off.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#88  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It probably is for me. And yes it has some flaws. The ending most notably. Some odd open world pop in. But everything else feels so refreshing and it feels almost like perfection. It's the only game this generation that makes me feel giddy inside when thinking about it.

Master Mode was something else, too. I love Master Mode so much, I am torn between waiting to play BOTW2 until they put in a similar difficulty or playing it straight away.

I mean I won't be able to wait but still. To me, playing BOTW without Master Mode equals to not playing the actual game unless you find it too challenging. Just like Twilight Princess on normal mode is only half the game it is on Hero Mode. These games make way more sense on the higher difficulties.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@davillain- said:
@locopatho said:
@davillain- said:

Breath of the Wild is a good game but Ocarina of Time is still legendary. Also, playing Breath of the Wild on PC is the way to go ;)

I'm always told this and yet whenever I look into playing Nintendo games on PC, it's always "partially compatible" with a laundry list of flaws and bugs and issues. Legal issues aside, I don't think dodgy emulators are the best way to play Nintendo games (except for the older systems, where they've managed pretty much perfect compatability)

I only did it for 60fps higher framerates and playing Breath of the Wild really made the gameplay smooth and enjoyable. If the Switch somehow offers to play BoTW in 60fps, this wouldn't be a problem.

Its Nintendo we're talking about. Their 10th and 11th gen system will most likely not be able to run open world games at 60fps. Hell, BotW is a WiiU port, and even a port of a previous generation game ran below 30fps. Simply pathetic.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

I think so. Haven't played anything better.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Not for me. Zelda is my favourite franchise from Nintendo only because I own a N64 and played both Zelda's on it, but to me they weren't the best games on the 64.

I won't say what my GOTG is, as I don't need to justify it as each person has different tastes.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

No

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@ConanTheStoner The one thing I hope they do something about is the broken-up flow of combat. Constantly swapping between weapons with different effects in battle can be quite jarring for a game with an otherwise fast-paced combat system.

To a certain degree, it almost feels like a turn-based game or an active battle system except the enemies aren't integrated in said system.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@jaydan said:

Oh I feel ya, I bounced back then for the same reasons. Visited way later and even though it wasn't the same, saw a few familiar faces and got back in.

Been an on and off relationship with these forums since. Sometimes you just mean to dip your toes back in and say sup to a few ppl, next thing you know you're posting every day.

And yeah OT was definitely one of the top spots, was always like a rivalry between OT and SW lol. Kinda surprising that SW outlived it.

Man, OT used to be da bomb and I love posting random shit over there. That place is really a ghost town, you'll see the same thread that was made in 2 weeks now. Hardly anyone post there but I still go their and come to GS due to bad habits lol.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

The acid test is always, if you took the franchise away from this and released it without the zelda name with the same game but different characters, would it be then? The answer for me is no. But it would be lauded as a great game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#96 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Not sure, but it certainly deserves the title over any other action-adventure or RPG this generation.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#97 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

It's a great game to be sure, but played quite a few titles enjoyed more. Recently Streets Of Rage 4 for example.

My personal GOTY from what I've played so far this year (which isn't much, to be fair).

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#98  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

The acid test is always, if you took the franchise away from this and released it without the zelda name with the same game but different characters, would it be then? The answer for me is no. But it would be lauded as a great game.

Oh for me that's a yes. It's easy to imagine too, because it is the least classic Zelda-ish Zelda game I played in a while. (I know that in concept it's actually more Zelda than most Zelda games because it focuses so much on exploration.) It would lose some of the magic that my heart associates with Zelda and the ruins and secrets around the castle would be less meaningful but it wouldn't have done away with any of the fun challenges and discoveries I had while playing this game.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

This and probably Witcher 3 have been the highlights of this gen to me. They're also 2 of the greatest games I've played so far in my life and whatever money I've put into them truly feels well spent.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts

Enjoyed Odyssey way more than BOTW. Changing weapons every few hits annoyed me.