Is Bloodborne proof that 30 fps still works?

• 146 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Bloodborne is easily one of the best games I've played in recent times. At not point have I thought the game would be better if it was 60fps. If anything, I think the game would lose its mystique if it went 60fps. 30fps seems more at home with the tactical combat and eerie setting (more cinematic). What do you think, SW?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Wat?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The game would have been much better in 60FPS, and...

@SolidGame_basic said:

I think the game would lose its mystique if it went 60fps. 30fps seems more at home with the tactical combat and eerie setting.

Dafuq?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Go home TC, you're drunk.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Go home TC, you're drunk.

Doubt he's old enough for that

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

lolno

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

wtf

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

If the game was 60 FPS you would be gushing about it and saying things like you just can't stand 30fps just like you did with 1080p vs 920p

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

At not point have I thought the game would be better if it was 60fps.

If the thought never crossed your mind then you wouldn't have thought to make this thread

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Who knows. Doesn't matter if it is 30 or 60, as long as it is playable.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

This is hilarious

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Its mystique? Whatchu smoking dude.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Framerate is not the games strong point

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

How about everyone shut up about framerate?

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@bobrossperm said:

How about people shutting up about us shutting up about the things we like to discuss?

Framerate>everything else, dealwithit

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

The game doesn't even stay at 30 fps all the time (e.g. Old Yarham). Even when it does stay at 30 fps, the lack of smoothness is way too in my face for someone who played all other games at 60 fps or above. The 60 fps in Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 on PC made the action in those games superior. I can look back and easily see how much better the smooth and responsive animations and controls (namely parrying) in the Souls titles on PC compared to Demon's Souls and now Bloodborne.

Bloodborne is a good game, but to me the poor framerate that can't even be kept at 30 fps in some areas is its greatest detriment.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BobRossPerm
@commonfate said:

@bobrossperm said:

How about people shutting up about us shutting up about the things we like to discuss?

Framerate>everything else, dealwithit

Because the gaming crowd literally use it as a hyperbole statement and at this point it's pretty fucking dull man. Sure, Bloodborne isn't a stable 30fps and does drop to points that affect the gameplay, but I just mean in general the resolution framerate talk isn't cool shit anymore. I'm done with it about now.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GhoX

@bobrossperm: I don't get how people who primarily game on consoles simply "deal with" poor performance. Smooth gameplay is the penultimate consideration in an action-heavy game. I can't believe people would simply get used to "sub 30 fps" because they can't do anything about consoles running outdated hardware. Pretending lags and performance issues not real is not going to make a game a better game.

In my eyes, such flaws are most damning against a game, especially if the substance has the potential to be good. It's why I prefer nearly all games to be played on PC instead of inferior and unreliable console hardware (exceptions being certain handhelds that only work on handhelds). I'm having fun with Bloodborne on PS4 for what it's worth, but it's quite obvious to me that I would be having even more fun if I were able to play it on PC, maxed out at a good and stable framerate, without unsightly unantialiased jaggy graphics, and loading time that doesn't take 30+ seconds. The PS4 experience is really just.. full of flaws.

MetalGearJoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MetalGearJoel
Member since 2013 • 190 Posts

What makes no sense is I've heard a couple reviewers saying how the framerate was a steady 30 fps. Either they were paid (which I highly doubt) or just don't understand what framerate is, because it's anything but steady, especially in MP.

Of course it doesn't take away from it being an amazing game and I was going to buy it regardless of framerate, its just too bad that these reviewers have to lie.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BobRossPerm
@GhoX said:

@bobrossperm: I don't get how people who primarily game on consoles simply "deal with" poor performance. Smooth gameplay is the penultimate consideration in an action-heavy game. I can't believe people would simply get used to "sub 30 fps" because they can't do anything about consoles running outdated hardware. Pretending lags and performance issues not real is not going to make a game a better game.

In my eyes, such flaws are most damning against a game, especially if the substance has the potential to be good. It's why I prefer nearly all games to be played on PC instead of inferior and unreliable console hardware (exceptions being certain handhelds that only work on handhelds). I'm having fun with Bloodborne on PS4 for what it's worth, but it's quite obvious to me that I would be having even more fun if I were able to play it on PC, maxed out at a good and stable framerate, without unsightly unantialiased jaggy graphics, and loading time that doesn't take 30+ seconds. The PS4 experience is really just.. full of flaws.

Depends on what you define as poor performance. GTA 5 on 360? Framerate was dog shit. I played the game, thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't even acknowledge the bad framerate when telling tales of my experiences with the game. It just isn't a huge factor to me like it is to you hardcore big cocked gamer bros. I didn't pretend the flaws weren't there, It just didn't linger on my mind, like at all. I played Perfect Dark in 15 fps and loved that shit!

And if Bloodborne was on PC, who is to say the load times would be that much better? From Software are no tech wiz guys. They just get their vision out there flaws n all. I didn't say I want to somehow promote bad performance, I'm just saying that a bad game in 60fps doesn't make it any better than an average game in 30fps. The Last Of Us Remastered is definately better in 60fps, but I once played the story half way without realizing I left the 30fps cap on. Because when I'm playing a game, I don't think about performance. I just don't. Bloodborne needs a patch badly, but bad optimization would carry over to PC just the same with only brute force and Nvidia patches to counter it. From Software are no Naughty Dog when it comes to hardware utilization.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Thread title had me ready to say of course 30 fps still works. But the suggestion that 60 fps would be a step back is fucking stupid shit.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

I don't think there is a soul who would prefer 30fps over 60fps.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GhoX

@MetalGearJoel said:

What makes no sense is I've heard a couple reviewers saying how the framerate was a steady 30 fps. Either they were paid (which I highly doubt) or just don't understand what framerate is, because it's anything but steady, especially in MP.

Of course it doesn't take away from it being an amazing game and I was going to buy it regardless of framerate, its just too bad that these reviewers have to lie.

So far the game is pretty good, but I can't help feel that it's a dumbed down version of previous Soul games.

There are significantly fewer mechanics in place (e.g. no weight system, no death penalty beyond just dropping currency, complex magic systems, etc.), significantly fewer equipment and equipment types (i.e. no long-ranged weapons like bows; guns have very little range), significantly fewer items (feels great when 90% of the enemies in game only drop two types of consumables), fewer covenants (3 PvP covenants only), and the list goes on. While I appreciate the mechanics involved in transforming weapons, I can't help but feel that Bloodborne as a game is 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Ultimately, I think I will have a better time playing the updated version of Dark Souls 2 that's also coming out soon.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Bloodborne is easily one of the best games I've played in recent times. At not point have I thought the game would be better if it was 60fps. If anything, I think the game would lose its mystique if it went 60fps. 30fps seems more at home with the tactical combat and eerie setting. What do you think, SW?

lol are you high?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cainetao11

@GhoX said:

I get what you are saying. But I have a pretty nice pc, and bloodborne. I haven't experienced any lag what so ever and am having fun playing the game. When all this tech shit starts to make games not fun, I am out of this hobby.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GhoX

@bobrossperm said:

And if Bloodborne was on PC, who is to say the load times would be that much better? From Software are no tech wiz guys. They just get their vision out there flaws n all. I didn't say I want to somehow promote bad performance, I'm just saying that a bad game in 60fps doesn't make it any better than an average game in 30fps. The Last Of Us Remastered is definately better in 60fps, but I once played the story half way without realizing I left the 30fps cap on. Because when I'm playing a game, I don't think about performance. I just don't. Bloodborne needs a patch badly, but bad optimization would carry over to PC just the same with only brute force and Nvidia patches to counter it. From Software are no Naughty Dog when it comes to hardware utilization.

Hardware is not magic. SSD is several times faster than a piece of relic that is 5400rpm HDD. I honestly don't know if you are just trolling or genuinely "got used to" 30 fps.

The poor framerate of Bloodborne was literally the first thing I noticed when my character started moving for the first time. It's amazing how this game is making me miss my copy of Dark Souls 2 on PC, with all its smooth animations and responsive controls.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

60 FPS games age much better then 30 FPS games.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GhoX

@cainetao11 said:

I get what you are saying. But I have a pretty nice pc, and bloodborne. I haven't experienced any lag what so ever and am having fun playing the game. When all this tech shit starts to make games not fun, I am out of this hobby.

I don't believe you. The lag is real and very much there. The only exception is if you only just started the game and haven't played any MP or progressed past the first couple areas yet.

MetalGearJoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MetalGearJoel
Member since 2013 • 190 Posts

@GhoX: I'm really missing the different types of armour. I'd like changing from quick to heavy depending on how a boss battle was or the style I felt like playing. Not a fan of the armour in Bloodborne, not only because of looks, but you can't even upgrade them.

I played Demon Souls and Dark Souls, but skipped Dark Souls 2, but will probably get it because I don't feel like Bloodborne will give me the longevity to keep playing that I was hoping. Seems like there is only one way to play.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

No, but this thread is proof of your stupidity

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cainetao11

@GhoX said:

@cainetao11 said:

I don't believe you. The lag is real and very much there. The only exception is if you only just started the game and haven't played any MP or progressed past the first couple areas yet.

Your beliefs are none of my business. Game has been fine for me. I guess I am like @bobrossperm in that I play games and don't look to get all hung up on this shit.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Bloodborne is easily one of the best games I've played in recent times. At not point have I thought the game would be better if it was 60fps. If anything, I think the game would lose its mystique if it went 60fps. 30fps seems more at home with the tactical combat and eerie setting. What do you think, SW?

and THIS is why nobody takes you seriously

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

P.S. You guys are really trying hard to tie Bloodborne into literally anything you can, this is getting beyond ridiculous...

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BobRossPerm
@GhoX said:
@bobrossperm said:

Hardware is not magic. SSD is several times faster than a piece of relic that is 5400rpm HDD. I honestly don't know if you are just trolling or genuinely "got used to" 30 fps.

The poor framerate of Bloodborne was literally the first thing I noticed when my character started moving for the first time. It's amazing how this game is making me miss my copy of Dark Souls 2 on PC, with all its smooth animations and responsive controls.

Digital Foundry tried Bloodborne on an SSD and it only got 7-10 seconds faster load times in good situations, less in others. It's a game optimization problem.

Go play Dark Souls 2 then. It's just a shame you let something like a few framerate drops affect your outlook on a great game like Bloodborne. That is why this framerate talk is toxic among the gaming crowd.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GhoX

@bobrossperm: How is it only a "talk" when it's genuinely affecting my enjoyment of a game? If people keep on swallowing up flaws and pretending they are no issues, there will never be improvements in games. People told themselves that 720p was fine, and so the consoles milked them for a generation in 720p. And now it's 1080p, and people immediately changed their tune too when their misplaced hope for 60 fps was downgraded to 30 fps. And so, 30 fps which was only fine on PS3, not fine on PS4 pre-release, is now once again fine on PS4 post-release. People are acting like hypocritical sheep in order to defend their console of choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Animation often looks unnatural in 60fps. I'm not suggesting a lower framerate plays better, but simply that developers don't work with body animation enough.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

dude theres no way 30 fps is ever more fun than 60

it just feels really bad OP is crazy

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BobRossPerm
@GhoX said:

@bobrossperm: How is it only a "talk" when it's genuinely affecting my enjoyment of a game? If people keep on swallowing up flaws and pretending they are no issues, there will never be improvements in games. People told themselves that 720p was fine, and so the consoles milked them for a generation in 720p. And now it's 1080p, and people immediately changed their tune too when their misplaced hope for 60 fps was downgraded to 30 fps. And so, 30 fps which was only fine on PS3, not fine on PS4 pre-release, is now once again fine on PS4 post-release. People are acting like hypocritical sheep in order to defend their console of choice.

Well that's your problem broseph. I hope you find the game enjoyable by the time you finish it and that those silly framerate issues don't hinder the experience.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: why do you think ppl are begging sony to let bloodborne come to pc , it's because 30 fps sucks ass unless it's a 4k

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MonsieurX

@ProtossX said:

dude theres no way 30 fps is ever more fun than 60

it just feels really bad OP is crazy

Sweet irony

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Surprise surprise Hermits talking trash about Bloodborne up in this thread talking about "Dark Souls is better". You like dark souls? Better thank Sony. They're the ones who commissioned From software to create the souls series.

Say "thank you Sony" for giving you something to play besides counterstrike and world of Warcraft for another decade.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I have played about 12 hours of Bloodborne so far.

-The framerate is garbage

- The game is by no means a graphical showcase

- The load times are laughable

And despite those flaws the game is easily the best I have played in years. At first I thought things like the framerate were going to be a deal breaker. And trust me, I notice EVERY hiccup and dropped frame. Yet this game is all I have thought about since it released. I didn't get into the other Souls games and I feel like I have done myself a HUGE disservice.

If anything this game proves that framerate and graphical fidelity do not make a game great. Now Cows cannot go out and tout this fact because they hold the graphical fidelity advantage this generation. All of their Digital Foundry victories would be in question for sure.

As of right now, I would take Bloodborne at 30fps and at whatever mid level graphical settings it's running over ANY PC game at 1440p 60+fps. And I'm a big PC guy. Bloodborne is just that good.

EDIT: Just so I'm clear. Of course I would rather this game ran at 60fps. The framerate is probably the biggest negative the game has.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Surprise surprise Hermits talking trash about Bloodborne up in this thread talking about "Dark Souls is better". You like dark souls? Better thank Sony. They're the ones who commissioned From software to create the souls series.

Say "thank you Sony" for giving you something to play besides counterstrike and world of Warcraft for another decade.

do you ever take a break from being a butthurt fanboy?

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BobRossPerm
@GoldenElementXL said:

I have played about 12 hours of Bloodborne so far.

-The framerate is garbage

- The game is by no means a graphical showcase

- The load times are laughable

And despite those flaws the game is easily the best I have played in years. At first I thought things like the framerate were going to be a deal breaker. And trust me, I notice EVERY hiccup and dropped frame. Yet this game is all I have thought about since it released. I didn't get into the other Souls games and I feel like I have done myself a HUGE disservice.

If anything this game proves that framerate and graphical fidelity do not make a game great. Now Cows cannot go out and tout this fact because they hold the graphical fidelity advantage this generation. All of their Digital Foundry victories would be in question for sure.

As of right now, I would take Bloodborne at < 30fps and at whatever mid level graphical settings it's running over ANY PC game at 1440p 60+fps. And I'm a big PC guy. Bloodborne is just that good.

Yeah man exactly. I mean I'm not going to pretend I wouldn't insta buy a PC version with better visuals and 60fps, but it's good that some people don't let the performance issues cast an overall negative light on a trully excellent game like Bloodborne.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

30fps works well but 60 fps is always better.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MonsieurX
@Pray_to_me said:

So,what did Sony give you for that year and half on the PS4?