Is Bayonetta 2 and Nier Automata proof MS shouldn’t have cancelled Scalebound?

• 53 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Both of these games were critically claimed and made by Platinum Games, the team that was developing Scalebound. Kinda crazy MS just gave up on the project. Do you think it was going to really be that bad, SW? MS has boat loads of money, maybe they should have just gone with it.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

MS should have been more patient and give platinum total creative control (if not already.) is a shame. It would have been the game that force me to buy Xbone like how Bayonetta 2 drove me to purchase a Wii-u.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Well Nier Automata allegedly benefitted from Scalebound. One of the reasons Scalebound got scrapped was money being used to make Nier instead of Scalebound.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I'm a big fan of Platinum but they have some stinkers too. And OK, let's travel to a parallel universe where people don't shit on Microsoft just because it the trendy thing to do. First time the game was shown it didn't impress anyone, and the second time was complete shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

scalebound looked crappier than nier and bayonetta the main character looked like a total misfire if it was a hot chick or something coulda been diff

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Scalebound didn't look good. I don't understand what people saw in it, and I don't think it's a good case for ragging on MS because... it sounds like they thought it didn't look good either

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Scalebound didn't look good. I don't understand what people saw in it, and I don't think it's a good case for ragging on MS because... it sounds like they thought it didn't look good either

Exactly... people just use the situation to rag on MS, without knowing the details. Do people honestly think that if the game was looking fantastic and on-track that MS would've cancelled it? I highly doubt it.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

Well Nier Automata allegedly benefitted from Scalebound. One of the reasons Scalebound got scrapped was money being used to make Nier instead of Scalebound.

do you have a link? If so, then it's platnium's fault as much as its Microsoft's

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I wanted to be interested, but the main character looked so douchey, for a bunch of Japanese developers, why not offer gender selection? Those stupid headphones looked like a Japanese interpretation of what they think Xbox owners are. Slap in the face really.

Development was going super slow while Platinum was pumping out game after game for other platforms. Platinum isn't a big studio, so it makes someone wonder what they were doing with Scalebound. Likely very little. Maybe if Platinum was more serious about the game, it would not have been cancelled. If Microsoft wanted the to shoehorn in multiplayer, that was a mistake too. Should have been a focused single player experience.

That said, Scalebound was a brand new IP game for Xbox One, some of you maybe asking why it didn't look good to you, that's because what you saw was all prototype gameplay and Scalebound did peak my interest at the time because it was "How to Train your Dragon" only in Japan style.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Regardless of what you may have thought of Scalebound, it was a game that Xbox One needed. Desperately needed. Xbox One has very little identity as opposed to Sony and Nintendo, and having a unique exclusive IP could have only helped its library. It just illustrates an ongoing problem with MS's gaming division not really understanding how to diversify their catalog.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Some people are overreacting to the MC. He's just Dante meets Baby Driver. Nothing wrong with that.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Exactly... people just use the situation to rag on MS, without knowing the details. Do people honestly think that if the game was looking fantastic and on-track that MS would've cancelled it? I highly doubt it.

Just like what "JustPlainLucas" said and regardless what you may think, Scalebound is indeed what Xbox One needed the most, new IP exclusive and Scalebound was getting hype during E3's & Gamescon showings. I don't understand why you Xbox fans keep denying Scalebound isn't worthy, but I did had interest in that game and partnering with a Dragon look fun for a new IP game by MS.

I'm still salty that it's been cancelled but at this point, I don't know if Platinum would even accept an offer to come finish it or if MS would give it to somebody else.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

I don't think it would have sold all that well. Looked good to me, but not really "dude-bro" enough to sell well to the Trump supporting market. Probably would have done pretty decent on either of the other two platforms though.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

As much as MS needed Scalebound, it must have been a real piece of shit for them to cancel it.

I'm sure it wasn't a decision that was made lightly.

I for one was looking forward to it, but I was also expecting it to have some kind of "wow" factor, something that is sadly lacking in games these days, and something that MS obviously realised Scalebound wasn't going to deliver.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

No. We have no idea how the actual game was. Personally I thought that it was looking pretty cool but that was just by what was shown so I can’t say one way or the other how the game was actually progressing in development.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I find it kinda funny how Xbox fanboys jizzed at the thought of scalebound until it got cancelled and then, boom oh it never looked that good anyway.

Opposite side ps fanboys said it looked like crap from the start but once it was cancelled they were saying it was a travesty and how amazing it looked.

Bottom line is...well fanboys are stupid and annoying.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

It looked pretty amazing to me, apart from the douche Infamous Second Son looking protag. It must had been pretty rough to be cancelled though, so I don't blame Microsoft or Platinum Games for that, If it came out rough we would have another Too Human on our hands.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

The battlecry here was wait until Scalebound, you guys should stop trying to rewrite history. Everyone excited for Platinum Games with Dragons especially after the video with the huge dragons. Now you guess saying the game looked like crap and I call you all liars.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@xantufrog: My guess is that after 4yrs and very little to show for their money MS had enough and cut the cord.

I liked what i saw of Scalebound and would of loved to play it but that won't happen, hopefully both parties learnt something from this.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@vfighter: Nope not even close. Yet i bet you read it once and proclaim that everybody said it.

I liked what i saw of Scalebound and would still like it to see it come out (not happening i know) which blows your theory out of the water :(

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Critical acclaim does not make a good game. This is especially true of Nier Automata, which looks and play like PS2 game. And not a very good PS2 game at that...

So, Platinum Games should stop making games, and get jobs more suited to their skills. Line cooks at the local McDonalds, perhaps?

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BigBadBully

@TheShadowLord07: I saw it on twitter awhile ago, was a discussion on why the game was cancelled and that was the alleged final straw on top of all the other scuttlebutt. We'll never know, but seems like the project was doomed with both parties having a hand in it.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

I had high hops for scalebound ... naja its water under bridge now .

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I don't care for PG. Vanquish was mediocre. Metal Gear Rising was mediocre. Bayonetta was above average, not as good as Devil May Cry 3. Nier: Automata was good and likable, but mainly because of Yoko Taro's direction. The combat was weak. Never even looked at Scalebound, because it was a PG game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@i_p_daily: yeah MS had already invested a lot in this game - they wouldn't pull the plug lightly on that because it would mean they'd never see it again. Clearly something wasn't anwhere near where the needed it to be

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

?

A claim like that requires source

edit: and a "I saw it on twitter a while ago" doesnt cut it, sorry. That sounds like bs to me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@phbz said:

And OK, let's travel to a parallel universe where people don't shit on Microsoft just because it the trendy thing to do.

It's trendy because its deserved. MS should just quit (console) gaming altogether and give its place to some other, more capable, company

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46272 Posts

Meh, I'd rather have MS invest more into the revival of Age of Empires/ Age of Mythology.

Scalebound never looked that impressive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@henrythefifth said:

Critical acclaim does not make a good game. This is especially true of Nier Automata, which looks and play like PS2 game. And not a very good PS2 game at that...

So, Platinum Games should stop making games, and get jobs more suited to their skills. Line cooks at the local McDonalds, perhaps?

Ya do realise that the majority of the public also received the game well, right? It was not only "professional" critics... so, yeah, your personal opinion on the game is pretty much worthless

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Scalebound was originally gonna be SP only. MS wanted to turn it into some co-op GaaS mess.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BigBadBully

@Vatusus: yeah why i said alleged, take it worth a grain of salt like all the news of MS being at fault. No one will ever know.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I think they had a good reason to scrap it. The game didn't look that good and my only excitement for the game came from Platinum Games' name being on it. Considering work for it began in 2013, and in that time Platinum went on to make a bunch of embarrassing games like three Activision shovelware titles (Korra, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) was somewhat of a series of red flags. The Nintendo deals made perfect sense, they had some good titles there, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, but man, I think dropping the ball on Star Fox went to show that they were in more of a cash-in mindset and weren't above letting an important Nintendo IP go to shit, and considering MS is even less respected in Nippon than Nintendo is then that should have raised some eyebrows. I remember at the tie even Platinum themselves were concerned about the direction they found themselves headed in and there was a leadership shakeup in the company. After all, six titles but only two showed any real love put into them, I think it was smart for them to call it off. Especially considering they weren't working on the game, why should they fund the studio while they pumped out a half dozen titles while leaving the game MS is funding on the back burner, I wouldn't continue that deal. That just sounds like Platinum was pulling on MS what Gearbox did to Sega with Colonial Marines. When it came to Nier Automata, I can see why MS didn't want to continue funding Platinum when clearly ignored what they were supposed to be working for MS to work on an exclusive title to benefit their main competitor and they obviously were putting more prioritization and effort in, well, that to me seemed like the final straw on MS's end.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#33 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Vatusus said:
@BigBadBully said:

?

A claim like that requires source

edit: and a "I saw it on twitter a while ago" doesnt cut it, sorry. That sounds like bs to me

Sounds like he's trying to paint Platinum like they're Gearbox (who was confirmed to be doing such by an unnamed playtester when talking about Colonial Marines and how they used funds from that game towards Borderlands).

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

All of Microsoft’s new IPs flopped commercially and/or critically this gen. Sunset overdrive, ryse, quantum break, recore, super luckys tale

The only thing they’ve gotten right is indies- ori and cuphead did well for them

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BigBadBully

@nintendoboy16: Yeah, just stinks. Was really looking forward to the game, the 8-player co-op or 6 player, looked like a lot of fun from E3 showing and reminded me of the Chaos Squad mode from MS/Insomniac Game Sunset Overdrive which is probably one of the most fun co-op modes on current gen consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@Vatusus: I don't even know what to say to that. If anyone more capable wants to release a console they just have to do it and the less capable will be naturally pushed out. You kids are funny.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

@TheShadowLord07: It's not true at all. I have no idea where he came up with that nonsense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@phbz said:

@Vatusus: I don't even know what to say to that. If anyone more capable wants to release a console they just have to do it and the less capable will be naturally pushed out. You kids are funny.

Spare me the worthless sermon. What that irrelevant reply has to do with our right to call out MS for what they offer (or rather should I say, what they dont offer)?

lol u "kids"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@Vatusus: I have no issues with anyone complaining with what's worth complaining. But I find irritating this trend of just picking with about anything. I does sound like a bunch of kids going along with the "new" cool thing. It's annoying.

The game never looked good. And as much as I love Platinum not everything they put out is good. So, two good games isn't proof that cancelling another was a mistake. Nintendo might as well cancelled Star Fox too. Or that's s great game too just because Bayo2 and Nier are good?

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I would say the fact they have no games should be a bigger reason not to cancel Scalebound.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@APiranhaAteMyVa: So they should just release shit just because they don't have games? That makes sense.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

@phbz: Why not? I mean they're going to release crackdown.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#43 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

It's difficult to say, but let's be honest, hack and slash are the kind of games they excel any other thing they make are just good but not remarkable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@xantufrog: Mainly because Hideki Kamiya was behind it. Platinum have some rough games, mostly licensed ones developed by their B-Team but the stuff Kamiya puts out is terrific. That's why it was disappointing for me. Also at the time, Xbox One was my go-to platform for multiplatform games. I was looking for titles like Scalebound to appear on it.

@phbz: It wasn't just a Platinum title though, it was a Kamiya game. Platinum Games puts out some rubbish stuff like TMNT and Korra but none of that stuff is by Platinum's big guns. This was the same guy behind Bayonetta, RE2, Okami, TW101 and Viewtiful Joe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@creepywelps: I honestly have no idea how that game will be. Nothing I've seen so far points to being good or bad. Scalebound on the other hand, specially in that boss fight looked a mess of a game.

Buy in a way I can agree that from all MS IPs Crackdown would not be the one I would put my money. And at this point, considering how much has been delayed, they might be thinking that they just can't afford to kill another game. I just don't agree with the philosophy that shit is better than nothing.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

@phbz: They have some stinkers but its only their cash grabs where they put their small dev teams on them. (TMNT, Legend of Kora). All their big budget games(Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Vanquished, Nier Automata). Have all been outstanding. I thought Scalebound honestly looked awesome.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#47  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@jumpaction said:

@xantufrog: Mainly because Hideki Kamiya was behind it. Platinum have some rough games, mostly licensed ones developed by their B-Team but the stuff Kamiya puts out is terrific. That's why it was disappointing for me. Also at the time, Xbox One was my go-to platform for multiplatform games. I was looking for titles like Scalebound to appear on it.

@phbz: It wasn't just a Platinum title though, it was a Kamiya game. Platinum Games puts out some rubbish stuff like TMNT and Korra but none of that stuff is by Platinum's big guns. This was the same guy behind Bayonetta, RE2, Okami, TW101 and Viewtiful Joe.

Kamiya has never made a bad game in his entire decades-long career. All of his games have ranged from good to masterpiece.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@Jag85: Good for him that it was cancelled then.

noscoparoonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 noscoparoonie
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

no

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

As far as I know, the development wasn't going anywhere anyway. Now, could they have maybe changed the game drastically, cut out all the impossibly ambitious chunks, and make a lean, focused game like how they overhauled MGR? Maybe.

To be honest though, getting Vanquish 2 exclusivity probably would've been much better for them.