Is anyone really surprised by Sony beating Microsoft?

• 180 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7044 Posts

In the fifth generation, the PS1 dominated the N64 and the Saturn with 104 million sales. The N64 had 33 million and the Saturn had 9.

In the sixth generation, the PS2 dominated the GameCube and Xbox with 158 million sales. The GameCube had 22 million and the Xbox had 25 million.

In the seventh generation, the Wii dominated the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 with 101 million sales. The Xbox 360 had 81 million sales and the PS3 had 83 million sales, beating out the 360 despite the 360 launching 1 full year earlier.

In the current generation, The PS4 has already passed the Wii U after only being on the market for 4 months. The Wii U had a full year on the market, being available for 1 year and 4 months to date. The Xbox One is currently in third place.

If you just look at the history, PS3 was Sony's only blemish, their only disappointment. A Sony disappointment is considered a great success for the Xbox. Xbox simply has lower standards, they're happy with last place and consider it a "gain of marketshare", lol. Sony on the other hand is used to being number 1, 2nd place is considered a disaster and a disappointment. When you look at how much success PlayStation has had over the generations, it's not hard to see why they're number 1 again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

EA

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

nothing surprises me any more.

oh my god, we can italicize.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

War. War never changes.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 15828 Posts

Sony is winning for the same reason MS was even competitive last gen.

MS beat themselves just as Sony beat themselves.

And no, PS3 isnt 2m ahead of 360.

What the hell dude, do you even try?

Avatar image for Silent-Assasin7
Silent-Assasin7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Silent-Assasin7
Member since 2006 • 1496 Posts

Sony is the Apple of the video game world. People buy their products when they're good, people buy them when they're shit, and people buy them when they're just okay. But Sony gets complacent and they make a lot of empty promises. MS has been driving the real creativity and competition ever since the first Xbox came out. Think about what a bare bones console the PS2 was compared to the Xbox. Imagine if the Xbox didn't exist? We'd probably still have a Playstation with two controller ports and no online. Also, everything people have been praising about PS4 was more or less taken from the 360. It's too bad the Xbox is always playing the underdog, when it's the one actually moving the industry forward.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By arkephonic

@navyguy21 said:

Sony is winning for the same reason MS was even competitive last gen.

MS beat themselves just as Sony beat themselves.

And no, PS3 isnt 2m ahead of 360.

What the hell dude, do you even try?

Do you have any sources saying that PS3 isn't 2 million ahead of 360?

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts

Where did you get your info that the PS3 sold more than the 360? Another Sony fan praising a bunch of nothing.

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZoomZoom2490
Member since 2008 • 3943 Posts

#Social media beat MS this gen.

World is not stupid like in the past where companies could say my system is more powerful than yours and you would not know the truth until you personally play both.

PS4 = more powerful and cheaper= WIN!

I feel bad for those who paid $100 more for X1 and got 50% less.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 arkephonic

Here's a link saying PS3 is 1.42 million ahead of 360.

If anyone can post an up to date link that's more credible saying otherwise, go ahead and do it.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

Sony is the Apple of the video game world. People buy their products when they're good, people buy them when they're shit, and people buy them when they're just okay. But Sony gets complacent and they make a lot of empty promises. MS has been driving the real creativity and competition ever since the first Xbox came out. Think about what a bare bones console the PS2 was compared to the Xbox. Imagine if the Xbox didn't exist? We'd probably still have a Playstation with two controller ports and no online. Also, everything people have been praising about PS4 was more or less taken from the 360. It's too bad the Xbox is always playing the underdog, when it's the one actually moving the industry forward.

The Playstation 1 was powerful and easier to program in its generation. If anything, it could be said the Xbox (original) simply built upon what the PS1 did.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 172301 Posts

No....they have a history of selling consoles.

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZoomZoom2490
@arkephonic said:

If anyone can post an up to date link that's more credible saying otherwise, go ahead and do it.

lemms cant accept that, they only care who sells more system's in NA during the 1st year.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

You know over time more things get added to consoles. PS2 was released before the Xbox. FYI...Sega beat MS to online consoles.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By arkephonic
@ZoomZoom2490 said:

Social media beat MS this gen.

World is not stupid like in the past where companies could say my system is more powerful than yours and you would not know the truth until you personally play both.

PS4 = more powerful and cheaper= WIN!

That's a really, really great point. Social media wasn't nearly as huge back in 2005 when the 360 launched. Microsoft could just sweep things like RROD under the rug and lie about a multitude of things, knowing that only the small percentage of hardcore gamers going on gaming forums would ever find out the truth. Now adays, any lie or imperfection is exposed ten fold to anyone and everyone regardless of how casual they may be because everyone has a Facebook. There's no more hiding imperfections or hiding behind lies thanks to social media and Microsoft is paying the price. I'm glad too because I don't like it when companies experience success due to lies and deception.

@casharmy put it best. Microsoft up until this point has based all of their success on the stupidity of their consumers and fans. With social media, even the stupidest of consumers are more well informed.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 navyguy21

@arkephonic said:

VGChartz isnt accepted here as official numbers, never was and you know that.

bfmv2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bfmv2007
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

@ZoomZoom2490: I agree. While I do believe the PS4 is the more powerful and overall better deal, I also believe the media has a lot to do with the Xbox One sales being so far behind. When you see an article every single day saying the Xbox One runs this game at a lower resolution, a lower framerate, and is getting an overall beating every day, it tends to make a man wonder if the PS4 really is the better route. I was expecting the PS4 to outsell the Xbox One by maybe a couple of thousand, but by well over a million? That I was not expecting.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 arkephonic

@navyguy21 said:

@arkephonic said:

Like I said, post a credible link saying otherwise, then. As far as I'm concerned, something is better than nothing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 58023 Posts

Yes and no. MS got off to a crazy start last-gen, and did decently well until the end (barring exclusives). Sony pulled it together, thank God.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

EA and some rabid lems

Fixed.

I think most people other than lems and EA knew Sony would beat M$ this gen. Even at Sony's worst last gen they were still able to catch up in WW sales despite having the more expensive console that launched a year later in the US and almost 2 years later in Europe.

I knew that if Sony launched at a competitive price at the same time as M$ they would beat them. What I didn't predict was that M$ would screw up so badly with their reveal and E3 and hand the gen so easily over to Sony lol.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 47347 Posts

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21 said:

@arkephonic said:

Like I said, post a credible link saying otherwise, then. As far as I'm concerned, something is better than nothing.

VGchartz is pretty much the farthest thing away from credible there is.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

EA and some rabid lems

Fixed.

I think most people other than lems and EA knew Sony would beat M$ this gen. Even at Sony's worst last gen they were still able to catch up in WW sales despite having the more expensive console that launched a year later in the US and almost 2 years later in Europe.

I knew that if Sony launched at a competitive price at the same time as M$ they would beat them. What I didn't predict was that M$ would screw up so badly with their reveal and E3 and hand the gen so easily over to Sony lol.

When you also look at the past you see that other than PS3 Sony's other consoles have been widely successful. PS2 is still the most successful console of all time. Despite Sony screwing up with PS3 the Playstation brand name has way more worldwide appeal than Xbox.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 58023 Posts

@arkephonic said:

Check the System Wars Survival Guide... Hell, even the staff account said to stay away from VGChartz.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By navyguy21

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21 said:

@arkephonic said:

Such a weak argument.

You are essentially saying "false information is better than no information"

You say "post a credible link" when you didnt bother to?

Why would i bother when CLEARLY you would dismiss anyway if you didnt deem it credible.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20513 Posts

Sony might be "winning" at the moment, but it's a long way from being over.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Sony might be "winning" at the moment, but it's a long way from being over.

It's over.....

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

The ps4 is gonna win this gen, just like the ps1 and ps2. Also the ps3 did good last gen being 2nd place

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#28 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20783 Posts

no because nintendo and sony are the kings,

they alternate lol if you had not realised that , nintendo held the thrown 3 times sony will have held the thrown 3 if they hold off wiiu which i think is the only one to have a chance to rebound ms always chokes it up , hence why 360 fell back and xbox original wasnt a factor at all

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 arkephonic

@navyguy21:

So let me get this straight. The one thing you have to add to the discussion is the fact that PS3 isn't leading the 360 in sales, but you have absolutely nothing to back that up with? Even less than I have to prove it?

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2223 Posts

So how many cows will get a payrise if sony wins??

Im only asking because you all seem to think you benefit from more sales....

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21:

So let me get this straight. The one thing you have to add to the discussion is the fact that PS3 isn't leading the 360 in sales, but you have absolutely nothing to back that up with? Even less than I have to prove it?

well you said it was leading. Do you have legitimate proof?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 navyguy21

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21:

lol, and you dont have anything to the contrary.

The last we heard, 360 reached 80m before PS3.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib

@Evo_nine said:

More support, leading platform for development, sony gaming division will stick around

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By arkephonic
@Evo_nine said:

Owners of the PS4 definitely benefit from more sales. Not in the way of paychecks, but because of the PS4 success, EA is APOLOGIZING to PS4 owners for not putting Titanfall on PS4. Titanfall 2 will be on PS4 as a knee jerk reaction because of the success of PS4. EA lost a lot of money taking the money from Microsoft to not put it on PS4 compared to the money they would have made from PS4 owners. Not only that, PS4 is now lead platform for Call of Duty because of sales. PS4 will now become lead platform for all multiplatform games. This means more 3rd party exclusives, more money to spend on 1st party exclusives, etc. We're 4 months in and are already greatly seeing the benefits of sales for PS4 owners.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58510 Posts

Not after SONY committed to the by gamers for gamers mantra.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib

@arkephonic said:
@Evo_nine said:

Owners of the PS4 definitely benefit from more sales. Not in the way of paychecks, but because of the PS4 success, EA is APOLOGIZING to PS4 owners for not putting Titanfall on PS4. Titanfall 2 will be on PS4 as a knee jerk reaction because of the success of PS4. EA lost a lot of money taking the money from Microsoft to not put it on PS4 compared to the money they would have made from PS4 owners. Not only that, PS4 is now lead platform for Call of Duty because of sales. PS4 will now become lead platform for all multiplatform games. This means more 3rd party exclusives, more money to spend on 1st party exclusives, etc. We're 4 months in and are already greatly seeing the benefits of sales for PS4 owners.

Please provide legitimate sources for all these things

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 arkephonic
@navyguy21 said:

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21:

I have a source, you just choose to ignore it. You don't even have a source to ignore.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

@navyguy21 said:

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21:

Didn't the 360 release before the PS3?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib

@arkephonic said:
@navyguy21 said:

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21:

I have a source, you just choose to ignore it. You don't even have a source to ignore.

Your source is not credible.

Lol VGCHARTZ

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 arkephonic
@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@Evo_nine said:

http://www.psu.com/a022778/Titanfall-PS4--EA-sorry-for-lack-of-Sony-console-release

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib

@arkephonic said:
@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@Evo_nine said:

http://www.psu.com/a022778/Titanfall-PS4--EA-sorry-for-lack-of-Sony-console-release

yeah, that's not a legitimate source. That's a random "insider" on Neogaf. Nor is it EA apologizing to PS4 owners

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21:

Does it really honestly matter dude? Between the HDD bricking lockout updates and the unprecedented atrocious failure rate of the machine, its numbers were more padded with re-buys than middle-schoolers bras.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic

@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@navyguy21 said:

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21:

Lol VGCHARTZ

What is the deal with VGCARTZ? I've never visited the site....but man does it get hate here.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Evo_nine said:

did you get one from all the microsoft dickriding?

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By arkephonic
@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@Evo_nine said:

yeah, that's not a legitimate source. That's a random "insider" on Neogaf. Nor is it EA apologizing to PS4 owners

Use some common sense for a minute. If the amount of money EA would have made from having Titanfall on PS4 greatly outweighs the amount Microsoft gave them to keep it off PS4, why would they not put Titanfall 2 on PS4? Do you know why 360 was lead platform last gen? Probably not, but here's why. It's because 360 led in sales and had the easier system to develop for. PS4 is the sales leader that's easier to develop for this time around.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/18/call-of-dutys-lead-platform-switching-to-ps4-digital-game-sales-higher-than-xbox-ones-according-to-insider/

Do they make links saying water is wet? Do you need a source to know water is wet?

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ZoomZoom2490

Lostrib, lol, the irony in your name is fulfilling enough not to call you names.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lostrib

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@navyguy21 said:

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21:

Lol VGCHARTZ

What is the deal with VGCARTZ? I've never visited the site....but man does it get hate here.

They're just not very credible. If I remember correctly, they will put up "sales numbers" and then go back and correct them when the actual numbers are released.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 arkephonic
@Shewgenja said:

@navyguy21 said:

@arkephonic said:

@navyguy21:

Does it really honestly matter dude? Between the HDD bricking lockout updates and the unprecedented atrocious failure rate of the machine, its numbers were more padded with re-buys than middle-schoolers bras.

Lol, Lems don't use common sense.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

You know over time more things get added to consoles. PS2 was released before the Xbox. FYI...Sega beat MS to online consoles.

Just because Sega did it first doesn't mean that MS didn't change the industry with XBL.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lostrib

@arkephonic said:
@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@lostrib said:

@arkephonic said:
@Evo_nine said:

Use some common sense for a minute. If the amount money EA would have made from having Titanfall greatly outweighs the amount Microsoft gave them to keep it off PS4, why would they not put Titanfall 2 on PS4? Do you know why 360 was lead platform last gen? Probably not, but here's why. It's because 360 led in sales and had the easier system to develop for. PS4 is the sales leader that's easier to develop for this time around.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/18/call-of-dutys-lead-platform-switching-to-ps4-digital-game-sales-higher-than-xbox-ones-according-to-insider/

Do they make links saying water is wet? Do you need a source to know water is wet?

In other words, you have no legitimate sources and you're basing it off the word of one interweb insider