Is anyone impressed by nVidia's RTX GPU's?

• 64 results
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

I sure am. Over the past half decade or so we have been seeing is improvements in performance which is great but not really improvements in graphics fidelity. With the introduction of Mantle (later Vulkan) in 2013 we got low level API's that are supposed to improve performance by removing any "overhead" during the communication between the GPU and coding of games so it's more "close to the metal". DX 12 did similar things but we never really got improvements in graphical features with DX 12 or Vulkan unlike previous iterations of DX generations like DX 11 or DX 9.0 with things like tesselation with DX 9.0.

I am glad that nVidia is trying to push Ray Tracing step by step. My GTX 1060 6GB can play pretty much all games maxed out at 1080P but I am not really seeing any major graphical improvements in games with the exception of few, even then graphical improvements aren't that big of a jump compare to previous iterations of games I have seen.

What is happening now is very similar to the early 2000's when we got programmable shaders like Pixel Shader 2.0 with GeForce 3 in 2001. nVidia improved upon the performance with GeForce 4 Ti and later the GeForce FX. Later with Pixel Shader 3.0 + HDR we got major improvements in graphics with games like Far Cry. I remember playing Far Cry with Pixel Shader 3.0 + HDR and the stunning graphics it produced on my GeForce 7600 GT. The water looked better and HDR was just graphics nirvana.

So, props to nVidia for trying to implement Ray Tracing. I expect similar thing to happen with Ray Tracing like what happened with days early days of Pixel Shader where by the second, third and forth iterations of GPU's that support Pixel shaders it will become more mainstream and more and more games will start to use it.

Only gripe is the price. Which we all know whose fault is that. ;)

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Nope.

I don't give a crap about ray tracing right now, the performance hit the games take to enable it isn't worth it to me. The price is ridiculous for these cards and the boost to performance on traditional rendering doesn't justify the price. Lastly, the list of games that support RTX right now is anemic leading me to believe it's another proprietary feature from Nvida like Physx. I look forward to ray tracing application in the future but right now it's not ready. I think the RTX cards are nothing but a cash grab. Buying a $1200 card to do ray tracing at 1080p with dips below 60fps is a joke to me.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I wouldn't speak about that now dude.

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2018/08/28/nvidia_controls_aib_launch_driver_distribution/

Since NVIDIA's GPP program got exposed to the world, there have been a lot of changes over at Team Green in the way information about its company is controlled. After its heavy-handed NDAs have sought to muzzle journalists that work with the company, now it is pushing back on its AIBs in order to control the AIB's actions with reviewers.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Not at those prices. Seems like they are inflated purposely to help clear 10 series GPU stock without having to lower those prices significantly

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#5  Edited By svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Not really impressed. The performance jump even taking away the ray tracing ability is pretty minimal over the 10 series. I'll wait to upgrade my graphics card until ES6 comes out in how many ever years.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

Even if they did not have ray tracing, they're a significant improvement over the 10xx series...so yes, I am impressed. I still use a GTX 980, so I am doubly impressed; with the 20xx series, I am now two generations behind. What's even more, I can run things pretty great still at high-ultra-high settings, so getting something that very well could improve my performance by 100% is pretty enticing. Time for 4K! :D

As for prices, I think the stock 2080 is at the expected price (still too high imo, but it's the same price the 1080 was when it came out) however the 2080 Ti is ridiculous. With that said, we don't know the 2070 prices yet (or 2060, 2050, etc) and I imagine those will be more affordable while still performing far better than the 10xx series.

I don't care too much about ray tracing at the moment, more of a luxury than a necessity to me, but it's nice to know they are pushing forward with tech. People bad mouth it "oh it's not out yet, oh it won't be used" but it's like "So? It never will be with that attitude".

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17765 Posts

Not impressed at all. Pascal has been the longest GPU generation and this is all they got to show after all that waiting? Ray tracing is a write off at this point. When they can get the RT cores running in parallel and not being a massive bottleneck, then I will be interested. Until then, it is a waste of money. Fucking 2080 Ti is such a ripoff. We should be getting huge gains over a 1080 Ti for that ridiculous price.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Capabilities? Yup.

Bang for the buck? Nope. $1k for a video card? Drop dead. ;)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46009 Posts

Nope

Bought a 1080ti instead

Raw performance > new and unproven technology

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

So-so, I like them actually driving tech forward but maybe a bit too soon. If BF V would run 1440p 60+ fps instead I'd be hella lot more interested because it seriously does up the lighting in games.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts
@GioVela2010 said:

Not at those prices. Seems like they are inflated purposely to help clear 10 series GPU stock without having to lower those prices significantly

More like they dont want to cut down on the profit margins, as the RTX cards are massive compared to their counterparts(like 2080ti is 60%+ bigger than 1080ti) there kind of had to be a price increase, tho as we dont know and never will the exact costs for nvidia it's just a guessing game. This is also why AMD's Vega was such a disappointment as they were a year behind and came up with a card that was more expensive to manufacture than gtx1080(bigger chip, more expensive memory), higher power draw, similar performance at best and had to be sold at the same price or less as the gtx1080.

BlackHoax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 BlackHoax
Member since 2018 • 37 Posts

95,668,638,333 triangle scene on nv turing

"Specialized hardware for ray casting has been attempted in the past, but has been largely unsuccessful — partly because the shading and ray casting calculations are usually closely related and having them run on completely different hardware devices is not efficient. Having both processes running inside the same GPU is what makes the RTX architecture interesting. We expect that in the coming years the RTX series of GPUs will have a large impact on rendering and will firmly establish GPU ray tracing as a technique for producing computer generated images both for off-line and real-time rendering. We at Chaos Group are working hard to bring these new hardware advances in the hands of our users."

https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/what-does-the-new-nvidia-rtx-hardware-mean-for-ray-tracing-gpu-rendering-v-ray

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

I’m impressed with the non Ray Tracing aspect of the RTX cards, what I’m not impressed with is NVidias “we have no competition so we do what we want attitude”.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55902 Posts

(Copy/Paste what I said in another thread related to this question)

I just want double-performance to what I have. For twice the cost, it should be twice the performance. Glad to know I can keep my 1080Ti for now and not be completely outclassed by the RTX 2080Ti. For $1,200, I would pay that price if it offered double-performance of the 1080Ti but so far, it doesn't look like it will :(

I get that Raytracing needs to start somewhere, but this is a tall stretch cause the tech is way too early. As of now, it's just "eye candy"

So no, I'm not all that impress with Raytracing atm. Maybe whenever Cyberpunk 2077 launches, I'll look into RTX 2080Ti or AMD 7nm and by that time, we'll see who get's my cash but until then.

@Ant_17 said:

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2018/08/28/nvidia_controls_aib_launch_driver_distribution/

Since NVIDIA's GPP program got exposed to the world, there have been a lot of changes over at Team Green in the way information about its company is controlled. After its heavy-handed NDAs have sought to muzzle journalists that work with the company, now it is pushing back on its AIBs in order to control the AIB's actions with reviewers.

Honestly, Nvidia's GPP was just trying to deliver the final blow on AMD and Nvidia already knew they are King of GPU market. They really didn't need to go this far lol.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

Ray Tracing on consumer cards is not ready for prime time yet. No matter how much Nvidia wishes it was. On top of that the capabilities of the 2070 Ray Tracing is on par with a PowerVR mobile chipset from 2016......and that price hike....NOPE, I'm good with my 1080ti for a few more years. Now all Radeon has to do is make a card that is say 40% faster than the 1080ti in rasterization at a decent price...say $550.00 to $600.00 and they will gain more market share back.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Confirmed flop

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

I'm not overly impressed, and the prices are outragous. My brother cancelled his 2080 pre-order, and bought a 1080ti, which is eligible for the Step-Up program if he wants to. Personally, i'll probably still grab the 2080, as it'll be a sizable bump in performance over my 1070.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@quadknight: Yea. that's fine. Those of us who want to see things advance will finance it.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

No. Overpriced and a ray tracing takes a huge hit in performance.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts
@schu said:

@quadknight: Yea. that's fine. Those of us who want to see things advance will finance it.

I want advancement but I'm no fool. The advancement in performance with rasterization is a joke and that's why I'm skipping. When they get that sorted out and further develop the RTX tech I'll get the card which should hopefully occur with the next cards.

I'm not in the habit of letting companies take advantage of me even for tech advancement. If you're going to sell me new tech make sure it works well. I'm not paying $1200 to see RTX run at 1080p with framerate drops. I don't game at 1080p on my PC and not even raytracing will make me go back to gaming at 1080p there. Nvidia needs to get their shit together and stop trying to fleece their customers. You ask for outrageous money you should deliver outrageous boost in performance both with rasterization and raytracing. The 20XX series is Nvidia going for a cash grab while AMD sleeps, nothing more.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 schu

@quadknight: my personal use case is Vive Pro and the occasional flat game

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17401 Posts

Hard to be excited when they havent released any performance numbers or benchmarks.

That crappy chart they released was just stupid

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@navyguy21 said:

Hard to be excited when they havent released any performance numbers or benchmarks.

That crappy chart they released was just stupid

Exactly, no point in speculation based on what we've seen or heard. Always best to wait and see the real world figures that come after release.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

I'm actually more surprised by the fact that people will buy this GPU only to play multiplats at a slight higher resolution and fps. Oh great, Battlefield 5 in 4k...... wow. For that price just get a ps4 and Switch.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

4k is 4x the resolution of 1080p

60 fps is 2x the frame rate of 30fps

120 fps is 4x the frame rate of 30fps.

"Slight"

You are slightly smart.

Wewex007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wewex007
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

I think its pretty cool that they are advancing the lighting technology a bit further. I think AMD will also respond is a couple of years with their own version of RTX capable GPUs that will compete with the RTX 20XX lineup. I am sure that gen2 of RTX cards will go beyond 100fps ultra settings once the tech is polished a bit more.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4195 Posts

@quadknight: Was Physx the one they pushed a couple years back that made the hair strands super detailed but took your games from like 90FPS to 25FPS?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Nope

Bought a 1080ti instead

RTX 2080 Ti has raw power in the classic GPU workloads. My issue is my planned Samsung 65 inch Freesync TV and Turing doesn't seem to support it.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts

I was at first but I'm not willing to go back to 60hz for RTX which sums down to better reflections. I'll stick with my 1080ti unless the RTX 2080 without RTX enabled gives a Big boost to frames. Gonna wait for benchmarks.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5011 Posts

@Xtasy26: While I’m glad they trying to push tech forward by implementing ray tracing, based on the price, and performance gains overall, I most definitely will be skipping this gen of video cards.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5011 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: That’s hairworks. Physx calculates how things break apart and collide with each other in certain games. It’s so under supported I don’t even install it when I upgrade gpu drivers. Just the main driver itself and nvidia control panel.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

As long as it's not proprietary it's all cool.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46009 Posts
@ronvalencia said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Nope

Bought a 1080ti instead

RTX 2080 Ti has raw power in the classic GPU workloads. My issue is my planned Samsung 65 inch Freesync TV and Turing doesn't seem to support it.

I ain't buying anything near Titan/RTX 2080ti prices. Nope, no way.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

By the next week they will be obsolete, so why bother.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Xtasy26
@quadknight said:

Nope.

I don't give a crap about ray tracing right now, the performance hit the games take to enable it isn't worth it to me. The price is ridiculous for these cards and the boost to performance on traditional rendering doesn't justify the price. Lastly, the list of games that support RTX right now is anemic leading me to believe it's another proprietary feature from Nvida like Physx. I look forward to ray tracing application in the future but right now it's not ready. I think the RTX cards are nothing but a cash grab. Buying a $1200 card to do ray tracing at 1080p with dips below 60fps is a joke to me.

You may not care but I would like to see progress in Graphics and not just performance. The list of games that supported programmable shaders when it first came out was minuscule too. I think Aquanox was one of the first games to support and it wasn't even that great. But by 2004 we had Far Cry and Half-Life 2 and so on all supporting programmable shaders with with HDR to boot. I expect by 2021 we will see significant number of games supporting ray tracing.

And about the 1080P; well what did you expect with ray tracing. That's like expecting games to run at 1080P back in 2001 when programmable shaders came out with the GeForce 3. No way games would have ran at 1080P best case scenario was programmable shader games to be run at 1024x768 and 1280x1024. New tech especially a leap like we are taking will take a performance hit.

Yes I agree price is ridiculous. But that's because AMD has no hardware in the high end unlike back in 2001 when programmable shaders came out and ATI had a competing GPU with the Radeon 8500 that did programmable shaders.

@Ant_17 said:

Yes, I find nVidia's business practices repulsive sometimes. That's one of the reasons I lean towards AMD when purchasing GPU's.

@howmakewood said:
@GioVela2010 said:

More like they dont want to cut down on the profit margins, as the RTX cards are massive compared to their counterparts(like 2080ti is 60%+ bigger than 1080ti) there kind of had to be a price increase, tho as we dont know and never will the exact costs for nvidia it's just a guessing game. This is also why AMD's Vega was such a disappointment as they were a year behind and came up with a card that was more expensive to manufacture than gtx1080(bigger chip, more expensive memory), higher power draw, similar performance at best and had to be sold at the same price or less as the gtx1080.

More like both. Without decreasing the price of the older generation they can keep their profit margins while at the same time they can clear their old inventory. GTX 2070 will be faster than the GTX 1080 so instead of pricing it lower than the GTX 1080 they just priced it higher and kept the same price. Unlike in previous generations where the GTX 970 for example came out at $330 while it performed better than the $500 GTX 780.

It's pretty shocking how nVidia has inflated their prices. We went from $300 - $400 range for the xx70 series to now more that $500 for the latest xx70 series.

Feleciagomez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Feleciagomez
Member since 2018 • 9 Posts

They areally priced a bit on the overly expensive side.. not even a bit, they are over priced. BUT, they're freaking awesome. You're paying for a quality product.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Working with VRay, iRay, renderman, etc, I am. Although the quality isn't as good as good, ol' scene renders, the fact that the reflections and the GI is now rendered in milliseconds compared to hours or even days is impressive.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Its a cool start to having some type of Real Time Ray Tracing possible, but of course its still very limited and stupid expensive.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xtasy26
@jasonofa36 said:

Working with VRay, iRay, renderman, etc, I am. Although the quality isn't as good as good, ol' scene renders, the fact that the reflections and the GI is now rendered in milliseconds compared to hours or even days is impressive.

That's why I am stating that it's impressive. Probably one of the biggest jumps in terms of new technology in GPU's coming from nVidia in 15+ years.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

the tech is impressive for sure. but im not impressed with what they are offering consumers at these price points. these are not cards designed for gaming. they are cards designed for professional use being sold to gamers at inflated prices.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Anybody that supports these trash prices are anti gamers.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Xtasy26: Now that RTX is out for weeks and looking at tech youtubers/reviewers, this whole RTX is a BUST! Yes, they are a bust because of Nvidia's insane pricing. GTX 1080ti is where it's at right now, clearly RTX is the future but it needs some more time in the oven and another gen or two of hardware improvements. DLSS is cool though, but they really should have launched with lots of support to make the price jump seem even somewhat worth it. $1,200 is simply out of the question for my high-end fix. Couple generations ago, it only took between $500 to $600 USD. How the times have changed -_-

Plenty of people will buy RTX just for bragging rights. I'm not into bragging rights myself.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xtasy26
@davillain- said:

@Xtasy26: Now that RTX is out for weeks and looking at tech youtubers/reviewers, this whole RTX is a BUST! Yes, they are a bust because of Nvidia's insane pricing. GTX 1080ti is where it's at right now, clearly RTX is the future but it needs some more time in the oven and another gen or two of hardware improvements. DLSS is cool though, but they really should have launched with lots of support to make the price jump seem even somewhat worth it. $1,200 is simply out of the question for my high-end fix. Couple generations ago, it only took between $500 to $600 USD. How the times have changed -_-

Plenty of people will buy RTX just for bragging rights. I'm not into bragging rights myself.

I would agree. $1200 for a high end graphics which was previously $700 (ie 1080Ti) is indeed insane. I do agree with needing it some time for another gen or two. I would probably wait another gen or two to get high end performance in the say $300 price range. I hope AMD has something out by then with Ray Tracing capabilities to make things more competitive.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

@Xtasy26, you gotta stop bumping your old-ass threads.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator

@lundy86_4 said:

@Xtasy26, you gotta stop bumping your old-ass threads.

I totally forgot what the hell I was talking about when I got the notification over a 2 month old thread lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

i'd take one for free not paying that much for it tho

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 schu

@Xtasy26:

My first thought when I read about the Ray Tracing stuff was that it is going to be a shitty version of it and it will take a few generations to actually be any good and that is assuming that it actually takes off. This has happened time and time again with GPUs.

I like the idea and where it could head, but I don't think we're going to see good performance this generation and we're basically financing the Alpha test of the technology.

I own a 2080 TI because it is the fastest card I can get for VR. If they manage to get a bunch of people to actually adopt DLSS and it actually does a good job then I'll be more pleased, but we have yet to see any of that come to fruition either.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

No not impressed at all. We are paying the same or slightly more money to get the same performance we got 2-3 years ago from the 10 series gpu and even the power consumption hasnt improved ( 2080 is 1080ti performance for more , 2070 is 1080 again for more )

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

The asking price is very high. I'm still investing in it because I got a good deal on one and the future looks promising. It's a step up even without using the new tech it supports. Yes support for that is limited right now but the cards just came out. We already have shadow of the tomb raider, metro, and Battlefield V. I'm sure there will be more to come.